BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
37 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Eurovision Song Contest 2024 · Grand Final, 11/5, 20:00 BST
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
uhsting
post 12th May 2024, 01:18 AM
Post #681
Group icon
SCREAMING. CRYING. THROWING UP. 😭😭
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th May 2024, 01:35 AM
Post #682
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Belgium cut Israhell’s song and posted a “Stop the Genocide” message!!!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeCNg9Hd/

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 12th May 2024, 01:37 AM
Post #683
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ 12th May 2024, 01:35 AM) *
Belgium cut Israhell’s song and posted a “Stop the Genocide” message instead!!!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeCNg9Hd/

As in the semi finals, this was after the show (as well as before the show started). Nothing happened during Israels song. Except for my friends playing Europapa onstead of that song

+Quote this post
My... S'ausage??
post 12th May 2024, 01:45 AM
Post #684
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

Why did they even let Israel in it when they banned Russia?

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 12th May 2024, 02:02 AM
Post #685
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Yeah Israel getting 15 12s is bullshit. The song was fine, nothing special. They have a cheek to say it's not political. And what's this about 100 countries being able to televote, did I hear that wrong?

+Quote this post
My... S'ausage??
post 12th May 2024, 02:04 AM
Post #686
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

Of course it's political, it was always going to be.

Exactly why they shouldn't have been in it.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee1402
post 12th May 2024, 03:07 AM
Post #687
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I’m in Mexico but managed to see the performances albeit to a delay.

Can definitely see why we got that 0 terrible vocal from Olly.

I’ve always loved Israel on song alone and the vocal was amongst the best so I can see why they did so well on that front. (Vocally she really ate and I can’t deny that) she had the hardest job of the night as well with the strong reaction to them being in it in the first place. Definitely not getting into the politics and just going off song as that is what it’s meant to be judged on.

I am kinda glad Switzerland won over Croatia. Nemo was certainly memorable and vocally strong.

Hopefully next years is less chaotic and we send someone who can actually provide a decent live vocal!

This post has been edited by Jordanlee: 12th May 2024, 04:01 AM

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 12th May 2024, 05:52 AM
Post #688
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

QUOTE(eurovision4ever @ 12th May 2024, 02:08 AM) *
Totally agree. Most here seem to think everyone should agree with their opinion.

Clearly Europe and the silent majority has spoken. Love that they got behind Israel. 15 sets of 12 points from Western Europe and loads of 10’s too.

You’d think going by the media we are all pro Palestine and anti-Israel but clearly Israel has so much support and it’s fantastic to see. All these people wanting Israel chucked out and everyone else saying we want them to win. The EBU were clearly
Right to let them compete.

Wonder when all the calls to boycott the Olympics will start? My guess will be never.

You have to be blind to say that "silent majority" voted for Israel a ) it wasn't silent, it was the biggest online campaign I've ever seen to vote for a specific country in Eurovision Song Contest, and b ) they didn''t need to be a majority, only bigger number than anyone else as all others treated this as a SONG CONTEST which is should be.

Charts will also prove this, because Hurricane will not be even close to the most popular track there.

This post has been edited by Sour Candy: 12th May 2024, 06:45 AM

+Quote this post
BillyH
post 12th May 2024, 07:03 AM
Post #689
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

What a year to be back at the live grand final for the first time since Tel Aviv in 2019. First of all, I feel the same way about the crowd’s reaction to Israel as I did about Russia a decade ago - booing any contestant no matter what people’s political opinions are is utterly unacceptable and disgusting, and huge credit to Eden for still putting on a great performance and handling herself so well throughout even if the rumours of some of her delegation not quite being as sporting are true. Her song was in my top ten and part of me perversely wanted her to win just to see the utter meltdown that would take place, but then I did spent most of the night on edge that something bad was going to happen (whether it be a stage invasion or a full on massive audience brawl in the arena) so maybe it’s for the best that she can still be happy with her result and others can be relieved it was another country that won instead. My section was luckily mostly well behaved except for one or two annoying loud men, once of which after the UK/Israel double televote whammy did start screaming obscenities a bit too intensely but he calmed down after Ukraine’s votes came in. If anything Martin Österdahl got booed more than Israel and that wasn’t helped by a lot of angry Dutch fans over what happened with their entry.

Speaking of the UK, as lovely as Olly is based on when I met him a few years back, Dizzy was your classic “it’s ok but not great” entry we’ve had over and over again that rarely translates into many points, and without Sam Ryder I think we’d just be numb and used to this by now so it would be a shame if we went back to unknown artists who chart outside the UK top 100 and are never heard of again, it was nice to see him do a James Newman and take it in good humour and I hope his career continues happily. Austria was also a disappointment as that was SO my thing, but it was the last to perform and also got lost behind a few big favourites. As for The Netherlands, I still think there’s more to the story of their disqualification - maybe he’d been a problem behind the scenes all week and a throwaway comment was the final straw to the EBU, or whether they just desperately needed a distraction from the Israel situation so chucked out a country that had already hosted it in recent years and wasn’t expected to win.

Croatia was my favourite and I’m sad it missed out at the last second as it would finally be a cheap country to get to next year again - Switzerland is going to utterly bankrupt me!! But they have won for the first time since the year I was born, so it’s nice for it not to be one of the regular winners this time. If I can I’ll try and stay closer to the venue next year as travelling back to Copenhagen after the contest was unexpectedly hellish, they added lots of extra trains back to various parts of Sweden but not as many to Denmark (they did in 2013 but then look who the runaway favourites and eventual winner were that year) so we waited almost an hour on an increasingly rammed platform, the first train was already full for reasons I still can’t understand so none of us got on it, and while thank god an empty train arrived five minutes later and not the hour later we were fearing, everyone panicked and started pushing their way onto it causing me and a few others to almost fall into the gap onto the tracks. I’m now on a Flixbus to Gothenburg still exhausted from the drama of last night, and I hope for everyone’s sake we’re back next year to the fun, less political Eurovision I know and love!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 12th May 2024, 08:22 AM
Post #690
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

^ I’m very glad Israel didn’t win, I think a meltdown among fans would have been the least thing to worry about. I’d have worried about the ongoing drama and saga for another year and, ultimately, if the contest would even take place at all, what with no doubt several withdrawals, a change of host country at some point and more.

And it definitely wouldn’t have led to a more fun and less political contest.

I’m super happy for Switzerland to finally get their chance again and interested to see what city they pick. Somebody suggested that if it’s close enough to the border of Italy or Germany one could commute, but by the sounds of your Copenhagen experience this year that would be a non-starter of an idea. I guess a lot of people will be booking up hotels in mid May - Eurovision Tom the YouTuber says Basel, Zurich and Bern are the only places with 12,000 capacity stadiums, unless they choose a smaller venue (are they allowed to in this day and age?). I guess smart money would be on Zurich but who knows!

+Quote this post
Scene
post 12th May 2024, 09:33 AM
Post #691
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Switzerland wasn’t my favourite but glad a non-problematic country won for the sake of the contest if nothing else. They really need to ban countries involved in war for next year to remove the political vote. To think a lot of Israel voters probably didn’t/don’t watch Eurovision!

+Quote this post
Marty
post 12th May 2024, 09:42 AM
Post #692
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,128

The shows production values and staging were fantastic.
On the whole the songs were better than usual and the artists were very strong vocalists, Olly being among the weakest tbh.
Shame the whole thing was ruined by not banning Israel.
I mean kids were likely being bombed and killed in Rafah the very moment she was singing. Like thousand of kids have been killed already.
Shame on the EBU.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 12th May 2024, 09:54 AM
Post #693
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(Scene @ 12th May 2024, 10:33 AM) *
Switzerland wasn’t my favourite but glad a non-problematic country won for the sake of the contest if nothing else. They really need to ban countries involved in war for next year to remove the political vote. To think a lot of Israel voters probably didn’t/don’t watch Eurovision!

Totally this - Switzerland is a very good song and had everything right, not my favourite by any means but so pleased we didn’t get the dreaded Israel win.

+Quote this post
CianS
post 12th May 2024, 11:18 AM
Post #694
Group icon
Do Wah Dootastic :D
User: 8,914

It's interesting to see how with the a big portion of the televote going to sympathy/troll voting (on top of the historical block voting) the jury has much more weight. Fan faves like Chanel, Käärija and Baby Lasagna all could have won without it

+Quote this post
Colm
post 12th May 2024, 11:21 AM
Post #695
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

Where was the sympathy voting this year?

+Quote this post
CianS
post 12th May 2024, 11:27 AM
Post #696
Group icon
Do Wah Dootastic :D
User: 8,914

I imagine some people voted for Israel out of sympathy - it all can't be trolling. And some for Ukraine I'm assuming.

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 12th May 2024, 11:27 AM
Post #697
Group icon
SCREAMING. CRYING. THROWING UP. 😭😭
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

It goes on to show jury voting is crucial. Without it we almost have a winner due to politics alone and not for the overall package: production value, staging and vocals. Televoting results can easily be manipulated so I'm happy there's more sense with the jury voting even though we lost Croatia.

Ukraine however is deserved for the overall package even if there might be sympathy votes to their way.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 12th May 2024, 11:40 AM
Post #698
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(BillyH @ 12th May 2024, 10:03 AM) *
Her song was in my top ten and part of me perversely wanted her to win just to see the utter meltdown that would take place

That must be one of the most ‘first world’ opinions I’ve seen on this. everything is a show after all…

+Quote this post
darrens94
post 12th May 2024, 12:01 PM
Post #699
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,047

QUOTE(witchsting @ 12th May 2024, 12:27 PM) *
It goes on to show jury voting is crucial. Without it we almost have a winner due to politics alone and not for the overall package: production value, staging and vocals. Televoting results can easily be manipulated so I'm happy there's more sense with the jury voting even though we lost Croatia.

Ukraine however is deserved for the overall package even if there might be sympathy votes to their way.

The jury votes last night though weren’t entirely based on the song either. ‘Hurricane’ would have been giving more points by the jury if it was any other country’s entry. They needed to make sure it didn’t win last night as they knew it would do well on the televote.

This post has been edited by darrens94: 12th May 2024, 12:01 PM

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 12th May 2024, 12:01 PM
Post #700
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

heart.gif

+Quote this post