BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Beijing 08, Olympics thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post 31st July 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Well as the Olympics are almost here, I thought it'd be best to create a topic for the Olympics discussion.

The experts are tipping Great Britain to have their best ever medal success at the Olympic games for almost 100 years, but we'll see.

Personally I think the Olympics this time around will be a complete, and utter disaster... but hopefully not. Roll on 2012.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
David
post 31st July 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 44

Well the Chinese government seem like a bunch of tossers... especially after this internet blockage thing, and then of course the whole Tibet situation. The poor air quality is another $h!t factor of this country... how on earth did they get the rights to these games? sad.gif

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 31st July 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

I normally love the Olympics.

However, I fully intend to carry out my own little boycott of the event and not watch one bit of TV coverage due to the disgraceful decision to award the Games to China.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 31st July 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

Olympics are normally the only sporting event i take notice of, but this year China are being to cuntish about it. serious not allowing internet for journalists wtf?

+Quote this post
Matt Aloud
post 31st July 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,286

and then it goes to a country with a wonderful foreign policy and that acts as a lapdog to the US.

+Quote this post
DitzyNizzy
post 31st July 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #6
Group icon
To Katy Perry: I shagged a girl. And I loved it.
User: 4,484

QUOTE(David @ Jul 31 2008, 06:31 PM) *
Well the Chinese government seem like a bunch of tossers... especially after this internet blockage thing, and then of course the whole Tibet situation. The poor air quality is another $h!t factor of this country... how on earth did they get the rights to these games? sad.gif

Because Samaranch wanted China to have them - why else would they win over Paris and Toronto, whose bids were apparently superior to Beijing's. Notice how, in 2001, Beijing were awarded the games in the same meeting which saw Samaranch's successor being announced.

+Quote this post
Tim Barnes
post 31st July 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 7

I won't bother watching

While the Chinese government are vile the olympics should be about sport not politics but I will not bother watching as the Olympics is about who has the best pharmacist not the best athletes

+Quote this post
N-S
post 1st August 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 816

Who will be GB flag-bearer at the Opening Ceremony?

+Quote this post
Zara
post 8th August 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Cause the fun just never stops
User: 3,224

wow its started... and its amazing...

+Quote this post
Josh
post 8th August 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #10
Group icon
✌🏻️
User: 43

I still can't believe that they're actually still going through with it. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 8th August 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

Am i the only one who find the opening cermony boring?

+Quote this post
jonny
post 8th August 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #12
Group icon
i would beg to disagree but begging disagrees with me
User: 3,646

QUOTE(Chris. @ Aug 8 2008, 03:11 PM) *

I think it's really interesting. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Josh
post 8th August 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #13
Group icon
✌🏻️
User: 43

WOO Uk!

Although tbh, It's a pretty poor ceremony. The Athens opening ceremony was spectacular wub.gif , this is just boring. Oh and did anyone see how the camera's zoomed into George W Bush after Iraq walked in? laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
Harve
post 8th August 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

QUOTE(Chris. @ Aug 8 2008, 03:11 PM) *

I found it interesting, reminding me of countries that i forgot existed laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Robbieca
post 8th August 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 950

The ceremony was very interesting, to me personally biggrin.gif I'm amazed how so many people can be so organized!

I was only angry Croatia walked in 95th laugh.gif Couldn't wait to see our team wub.gif especially Ivano Balić waving our flag naughty.gif

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 8th August 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #16
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Josh @ Aug 8 2008, 01:42 PM) *
I still can't believe that they're actually still going through with it. sleep.gif

They have to really. Would be a mass outcry if the cancelled it really. I imagine they'll just postpone some of the events if there's still loads of smog, or just move them to a different area.

Was the Opening Ceremony any good then? I think i'm gonna have to check it out later tonight on the iPlayer.

+Quote this post
Nada
post 8th August 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Don't give up on the dream, don't give up on the wanting
User: 660

Opening ceremony was great imo. They are organized perfectly! And I enjoyed watching it! cheer.gif

And as I waiting for Serbia, I almost fall asleep. laugh.gif We were at the end.

Now I can't wait to watch all that games! w00t.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 8th August 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

I can't be assed in watching the Olympics this year, most of the games are transmitted overnight, and early morning.

I wait for 2012 that's if I'm still alive.

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 9th August 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #19
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

Well I'm not watching it, but a big PR disaster has already happened:

US Tourist Killed In China Attack
SkyNews - 25 minutes ago

An American tourist related to a US Olympic coach has been killed in a knife attack at an historic Beijing tourist attraction.

The victim, who has not been named, was related to an official with the men's volleyball team.

Officials say the man and another family member, an American woman, were attacked along with their female Chinese guide by a lone man inside the Drum Tower.

Immediately after the stabbing, the Chinese knifeman committed suicide. The two women were taken to hospital.

The attack took place as the Olympic Games got into full swing.

State-run Xinhua news agency named the knifeman as Tang Yongming.

The 47-year-old, from the eastern city of Hangzhou, jumped to his death from the second floor of the ancient Tower.

Xinhua did not give a motive for the attack.

The US Olympic Committee said in a statement: "While at the Drum Tower in central Beijing, the two family members were stabbed during an attack by what local law enforcement authorities have indicated was a lone assailant.

"One of the family members was killed and the other seriously injured. Following the attack, the assailant took his own life."

A US Embassy spokeswoman said the attack happened shortly after noon, but did not reveal the identities of the victims.

"We're actively following the situation right now and US Embassy officials are already at the hospital."

She said embassy officials had been dispatched to the Beijing hospital where the female survivors were taken.

Police blocked off streets leading to the scene immediately after the attack and cordoned off the area with yellow tape.

Built in the 13th century, the Drum Tower was used to tell time in imperial China with drummers pounding their instruments to mark the hours.

This Games is going put the cause of the Olympics back over two decades IMHO. mad.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 9th August 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

What I found absolutely hilarious was the news that Robert Mugabe was banned from attending the Olympics....

...Yeah, cos THAT aint a case of the pot calling the kettle black or anything.... laugh.gif As nasty a piece of work as Mugabe is, his human rights abuses aint even on the same scale as China's.... It's a bit like Hitler banning Franco or Mussolini from attending Berlin '36 for being a bit "out of order" tbh.....

I'm totally with TiP on this, these Games are a fukkin' disgrace..... And, sorry Craig, but you simply CANNOT divorce politics from sport when it comes to these Olympics anymore than you can take stink out of dog-sh!t..... dry.gif

+Quote this post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 12:49 AM