BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Trujillo: 'Metallica will get even better'
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chris.
post 26th January 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

Robert Trujillo has claimed that Metallica are entering a new phase which will see them getting "even better".

The bassist told Metal Hammer that his bandmates are just like "big teenagers" when they get together to play, ensuring that their music remains exciting.

"That's why I know the next phase is going to get even better; it feels like there's something new that's happening right now with us. You always have to hit those walls and barriers, with age things happen and in the world of Metallica, around St Anger, that's what happened," he said.

"Now that I feel like I'm in the band I feel like there's a lot of unity and we share a lot of the same kinds of interests."

Trujillo, who joined the group in 2003, said that he had a lot to live up to following in the footsteps of Cliff Burton, adding: "We're our own entities, I just try to give everything I've got."
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ags_rule
post 26th January 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 7,521

I don't know how they will top Death Magnetic. We all expected a return to form, but I think the record shocked everyone because it was more than a return to form - it was Metallica reclaiming their throne as kings of metal with a record that could even challenge the status of their first four thrash albums.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 27th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

Trujillo's influence has been a positive one on the band, I feel, people blamed him for "St Anger", but I dont think he really had much to do with that other than just coming in and playing the bass. He didn't join until '03, which was when St Anger came out, so pretty all he would've done was to act in a "session musician" manner on that album, he would've been the "new boy" and therefore would've had very little influence on how that particular album sounded (he has no songwriter credits on St Anger), I would blame Bob Rock more for that one, and Lars Ulrich, because he seemed to be happy to have his drums sound like sodding biscuit tins being struck by a carrot... rolleyes.gif

He's now been in the band for over 5 years, so probably felt more confident that he could contribute more positively to DM and have more of a say, Trujillo is credited as a co-writer on all the tracks on DM. I really feel that he's helped Metallica get its mojo back, it's easy to underestimate him, but I think Trujillo has been incredibly positive for Metallica, and his bass-playing on DM is superb, better than Newstead ever was IMO, and I would put Trujillo on a par with Cliff Burton....

+Quote this post
ags_rule
post 27th January 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 7,521

To be honest I can hardly hear the bass lines on DM. It's like the opposite of ...AJFA, where the bass lines were inaudible because they were ignored in the mix, but on DM they're not audible because the guitars are distorted beyond recognition at times. You can hear the bass well on 'Cyanide' and 'Suicide And Redemption', though.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 28th January 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(ags_rule @ Jan 27 2009, 08:16 PM) *
To be honest I can hardly hear the bass lines on DM.

Try going online to one of the P2P sites and downloading the DECEIFER remix of the album (basically this is some fan out there in internet land who decided to clean up the sound of the album off his/her own back, must have some sort of kick-ass mixing software).... It actually sounds better than the official version of the album laugh.gif , it's sharper and you can hear all the instruments well.... Lars Ulrich will probably want him stripped naked and flogged in the streets, but I reckon they should give the guy a job personally..... rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 28th January 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #6
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Tbh, I hardly took notice of him and hardly heard any base except on two or three tracks off DM. But a bit pre-judgemental after reading this thread. . As pointed out he has been a major contributor to the sensational Death Magnetic and one can only dream of how magnetic the next album would be =) Metallica really is a legacy and the millions of fans probably take everything about their music incredibly seriously and he obviously hasn't been bashed and that from hardcore fans is probably their way of saying thank you and welcoming him, even though nobody would admitt (if he really is) a bit better than the Burton but anywayzz. .

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 28th January 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

QUOTE(Katherlicîous @ Jan 28 2009, 05:58 PM) *
Tbh, I hardly took notice of him and hardly heard any base except on two or three tracks off DM. But a bit pre-judgemental after reading this thread. . As pointed out he has been a major contributor to the sensational Death Magnetic and one can only dream of how magnetic the next album would be =) Metallica really is a legacy and the millions of fans probably take everything about their music incredibly seriously and he obviously hasn't been bashed and that from hardcore fans is probably their way of saying thank you and welcoming him, even though nobody would admitt (if he really is) a bit better than the Burton but anywayzz. .

you take notice of him on stage tongue.gif

when i saw them last year, he really stuck out, he moves across the stage proper weridly, like knees bent down and hopping around, also he is a bit younger than Lars, Kirk and James laugh.gif

Better than Burton ohmy.gif blasphemy.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 28th January 2009, 06:13 PM
Post #8
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

QUOTE(Christopher. @ Jan 28 2009, 08:00 PM) *
he really stuck out, he moves across the stage proper weridly, like knees bent down and hopping around,

rotf.gif That made me LOL. .

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 29th January 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #9
Group icon

even though nobody would admitt (if he really is) a bit better than the Burton but anywayzz. .

He's on a par with Burton for sure.... But not better.... He's been in quite a few bands - Suicidal Tendencies, Black Label Society, Ozzy Osbourne, Jerry Cantrell's solo project, Infectious Grooves.... So, it's a lot of experience.... He's a damn good bassist, probably the best that Metallica could've gotten....

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 29th January 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #10
Group icon

Metallica really is a legacy and the millions of fans probably take everything about their music incredibly seriously

Metallica make serious and intense music, so there's no other way to take it..... rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post 29th January 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #11
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795

Go Metallica! dance.gif dance.gif

+Quote this post
Tom Araya
post 29th January 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I like The Dooleys :) like father like son...
User: 100

QUOTE(Christopher. @ Jan 28 2009, 06:00 PM) *
he moves across the stage proper weridly, like knees bent down and hopping around

Thats just his style though, like Burton's style was to just head bang and have his hair go all over the show.

Here's a good example of Rob performing outside of Metallica, moving across stage 'proper weridly'.

Ozzy Osbourne - Perry Mason

and yeah this vid does contain tits for half a second.

This post has been edited by Tom Araya: 29th January 2009, 09:09 PM

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 30th January 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49

I agree he has made them better, the reason that I liked Metallica so much was because it very hard to write 6 or 7 minute long songs unless they're very well structured and they do them so well that you actually want to listen to them again! DM was a true return to form but I wouldn't put it amongst their best but I do feel that maybe one day they could do an album as good as some of their older ones. St. Anger may have been trying to do something different than the others and when it was described what it was going to be like I thought it was going to be incredible but it just didn't work out for me.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 1st February 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(Grandwicky @ Jan 30 2009, 11:23 PM) *
I agree he has made them better, the reason that I liked Metallica so much was because it very hard to write 6 or 7 minute long songs unless they're very well structured and they do them so well that you actually want to listen to them again! DM was a true return to form but I wouldn't put it amongst their best but I do feel that maybe one day they could do an album as good as some of their older ones. St. Anger may have been trying to do something different than the others and when it was described what it was going to be like I thought it was going to be incredible but it just didn't work out for me.

St Anger was good on paper.... But, when it translated into the actual album.... Oh dear..... mellow.gif Production was responsible for a lot of the problems, but it was a lot to do with Lars Ulrich being an utter tit as well..... laugh.gif Seems he's calmed down a bit now with DM, and isn't quite such an uptight little Hitler anymore..... rolleyes.gif

Opeth are another band who can write excellent 7/8/10 minute songs...... They just blow my mind.....

+Quote this post
Waqas Noor
post 2nd February 2009, 06:42 AM
Post #15
Group icon
New Entry
User: 8,172

mellow.gif mellow.gif mellow.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH