BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Catholic Fascism censors Golden Compass sequel
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post Dec 15 2009, 08:04 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190
Catholics 'forced film chiefs to scrap Dark Materials trilogy'
Alistair Foster
Hollywood blockbusters put box office in line for record takings

EVENING STANDARD

Actor Sam Elliott has accused the Catholic Church of pressurising Hollywood producers to scrap a classic fantasy trilogy.

Studio bosses have shelved plans to film the final two instalments of His Dark Materials, despite the success of the first movie, The Golden Compass, two years ago.

The film, based on the books by Philip Pullman and starring Elliott, Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, angered Catholics who accused it of promoting atheism.

In the book trilogy, set in a series of parallel worlds, heroine Lyra fights the Magisterium, an evil organisation some have interpreted as being based on the Catholic Church.

The Magisterium wields huge power and experiments on children. In a climactic battle angels fight each other and "God" is presented as a frail, ancient and powerless figure.

Catholic campaigners in America organised a boycott of The Golden Compass. Right-wing US broadcaster Bill O'Reilly, of Fox News, attacked its release in 2007, calling it a "war on Christmas".

Elliot, who plays Lyra's ally - aeronaut Lee Scoresby - has challenged O'Reilly to a TV debate and claimed money could not be the reason for the series being shelved.

The production company, New Line, had said the making of the second and third films was dependent on the financial success of The Golden Compass. The movie had a budget of $180million (Ģ110million) and made $380million (Ģ234million).

Asked what happened to the series, Elliot said: "The Catholic Church happened to The Golden Compass, as far as I'm concerned. It did 'incredible' at the box office, taking $380million. Incredible. It took $85million in the States.

"The Catholic Church ... lambasted them, and I think it scared New Line off.

"I would have loved to have gone after them. I would have liked to have sat down with Bill O'Reilly and talked it out. There are two sides to that coin. It's a shame as it's a great trilogy."

The boycott was organised by Bill Donohue of the Catholic League For Religious And Civil Rights. He told the Evening Standard: "I am delighted the boycott worked. Just as the producers have a right to make the movie, I have a right to protest.

"The reason I protested was the deceitful attempt to introduce Christian children to the wonders of atheism in a backdoor fashion at Christmas time. Everyone agrees the film version was not anti-Catholic, but that hardly resolves the issue. The fact is that each volume in the trilogy becomes increasingly anti-Catholic."

He added: "I knew if we could hurt the box office receipts here, it might put the brakes on the next movie.

"I also knew this boycott would work because once the word got out that the movie was bait for the books, Christian parents would take their kids to see Alvin And The Chipmunks. Which they did, in far greater number."

Pullman has dismissed the accusations, saying: "I am a storyteller. If I wanted to send a message I would have written a sermon."

A spokesman for New Line Cinema declined to comment
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't like The Golden Compass because it totally dumbed down the ideas in Pullman's excellent "Northern Lights" book to appease these Christian Fundamentalists, but even so, this is outrageous, and proves if you give these buggers an inch, they'll take a mile....

New Line are gutless fukkin' COWARDS as far as I'm concerned to give into this sort of fascistic blackmail... And people say that there's no censorship if the Arts in a "democracy"???? Yeah, right..... At least dictatorships are more HONEST about being censors and dont hide it behind veils of bullsh"t and false arguements about "decency"..... dry.gif

Did Martin Scorcese wimp out when he made "Last Temptation of Christ"? Did Cleese, Chapman, Jones, Gilliam, Palin and Idle p*ssy out over "Life of Brian"?? NO, they didn't... They met these buggers HEAD ON and beat them..... Shame on New Line for being so utterly COWARDLY and GUTLESS in the face of such obvious, blind ignorance......
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post Dec 15 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #2
Group icon
What??? No one got anything to say about this???

Christ, if it was bloody Muslims who did this, there'd be no end of replies..... sleep.gif

+Quote this post
thisispop
post Dec 15 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72
I think this is a poor call by New Line, but I do wonder whether they also factored in the costs of the first movie and it's subsequent poor reception from film critics comparing it unfavourably with the book; and its lukewarm reception at the box office with video sales meaning that it has just doubled the studio costs ($180m).

Furthermore New Line Cinema has been merged into Warner Bros Pictures by the Time Warner group since the making of the first movie.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post Dec 15 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
QUOTE(thisispop @ Dec 15 2009, 01:04 PM) *
I think this is a poor call by New Line, but I do wonder whether they also factored in the costs of the first movie and it's subsequent poor reception from film critics comparing it unfavourably with the book; and its lukewarm reception at the box office with video sales meaning that it has just doubled the studio costs ($180m).

Furthermore New Line Cinema has been merged into Warner Bros Pictures by the Time Warner group since the making of the first movie.

The $380 mil is box-office receipts, it doesn't take into account DVD sales...

The film did well in Global terms, I think using the box office as an excuse is a red-herring.... Internationally, the film did well, because you generally didn't have loony religious types boycotting it in, say, London, Paris, Berlin or Toronto... This is coming pretty quick off the back of the whole "Darwin" debacle as well....

Critics, however, were right to give it a poor reception because there is absolutely no doubt that it compromised on Pullman's story... They should have done it properly and not watered it down, it didn't exactly win them any fans with those who'd read the books... But who's fault is that..? Well, that would be the fault of New Line in appeasing the Religious Right in America....

Very disappointed by New Line/Warners decision tbh, the only reason it may have been seen to be a "Failure" is because it didn't show the same respect to the source novels as the Harry Potter and LOTR films have, and the fact that the Catholic Church were basically going around telling their "flock" that they'd 'burn in hell' if they went to see this film....

I can only hope that someday, maybe a European film company will buy up the rights and do Pullman's books the justice they deserve... Perhaps with a genius like Guillermo Del Toro or the guy who made "Let The Right One In" to direct them.....

+Quote this post
Daniel.
post Dec 22 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 9,900
Apart from the factors mentioned above, New Line made NO profit from the movie in foreign territories as they mistakenly sold the rights. It bombed in America during it's run in theatres, in part due to the campaign and in part due to the bad critical reception and word of mouth. Fantasy films tend to do better worldwide than they do domestically anyway, which is why them selling the rights was so bizarre especially on top of the fact that the books are more popular in England and Australia. So expecting Warner Bros. to fork out the cash to make the even more complex and epic second and third books was unreasonable. Also they waited far two long before announcing whether there was going to be a sequel, eventually people lost interest (me included). I disliked the film but thought Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig were perfect as Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel and though they had a lot of chemistry. I also think Dakota Blue Richards was great as Lyra and Chris Weitz seemed confident in interviews prior to the Golden Compass release that he would have more freedom for the sequels. I was looking forward to seeing what they would do with the following books.

Personally I think it was for more finanical and pratical reasons (New Line folding into Warners Bros. plus the actress who played Lyra is far too old now and I'm guessing by now the contract for the other actors requiring them to return for a sequel has probably expired) that the sequels are not going to be made.

I'm not saying the Catholic Church did not play a part in all of this, of course they did, but I don't think they were the main reason and tbh I think they are being used as a scapegoat here by Sam Elliot. Why can't it be as simple as saying the first film underperformed at the box office which is why there won't be a sequel?

This post has been edited by DanielMiles17: Dec 22 2009, 09:00 PM

+Quote this post
Josh
post Dec 22 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
✌🏻️
User: 43
QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Dec 15 2009, 12:38 PM) *
What??? No one got anything to say about this???

Christ, if it was bloody Muslims who did this, there'd be no end of replies..... sleep.gif

The Catholic Church is just as corrupt as the Islamic faith imho!..

I've never read the books, and never watched The Golden Compass (it looked shite laugh.gif ), but it seems that the production line needs to grow some balls! To not produce films because of the threat that it may project 'atheism'.. laugh.gif C'mon, there's countless of films which do that.

+Quote this post
russt68
post Dec 22 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 213
I loved the trilogy of books - but I only liked the movie.

I say forget the first film ever happened, get Peter Jackson on board, and REALLY go for it, because, in my opinion - Pullman's trilogy is 10 times more readable and filmable than Tolkein's.....

+Quote this post
Overstaged
post Dec 24 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Leave right now or quicker
User: 508
QUOTE(Rudolf @ Dec 22 2009, 10:06 PM) *
C'mon, there's countless of films which do that.

One further proof that this topic is nothing but ridiculous paranoia.

Of course Grimly Fiendish is a narrow minded who thinks everything that goes wrong in the universe has something do to with religion. And he uses strong words like "censorship" and "fascism" just because they sound cool even tough his topics prove that he has no clue what they actually mean.

Next he is going to blame the Pope for global warming or something like this. Then he and his friends consider themselves the soldiers of pure reason...

Of course, hollywood would skip anything that made them money even if Jesus, Buda and Krishna came all in flesh an asked them to do so. But of course, sayng that your movie has been canceled because of a conspirancy of the Pope sounds cooler then admiting it bombed because there wasnīt real interest.

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post Dec 24 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
im all clares!
User: 5
QUOTE(Overstaged @ Dec 24 2009, 07:40 PM) *

Of course Grimly Fiendish is a narrow minded who thinks everything that goes wrong in the universe has something do to with religion. And he uses strong words like "censorship" and "fascism" just because they sound cool even tough his topics prove that he has no clue what they actually mean.

Next he is going to blame the Pope for global warming or something like this. Then he and his friends consider themselves the soldiers of pure reason...

Of course, hollywood would skip anything that made them money even if Jesus, Buda and Krishna came all in flesh an asked them to do so. But of course, sayng that your movie has been canceled because of a conspirancy of the Pope sounds cooler then admiting it bombed because there wasnīt real interest.

seeing as human population is the cause of ... man made polution which some theorise may be causing global warming ... and the pope insists that the use of contraception is against gods laws (rofl) ... then YES, it could be construed that the pope is causing global warming! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chris.
post Dec 24 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

you make me laugh, yes because Grimly says things like 'censorship' and 'facism' because he thinks it's cool, you seriously thinks he doesnt know what he is on about? rotf.gif

I'm not joking, this post is possibly the funniest i've ever seen on the whole of Buzzjack. You clearly havent taken notice of many posts by Scott if you think he is 'narrow minded' and thinks that 'everything that goes wrong in the universe has something to do with religion'.

In the end, religion is bull$h!t, if a film doesnt get made because of some bull$h!t religion, that there is something terribly wrong going on, I dont know what it is with catholics, but I think they need to realise other people might think differently to them. I respect people's faith, I may think it's bull$h!t, but I dont disrespect them for it, then when someone comes along with an opposing view to certain religions (mainly catholics) then all of a sudden they have massive disrespect.

It's like when catholic's highly protested Kevin Smith's film 'Dogma', without really knowing anything about it, mainly because they were all ignorant, Kevin just went with it and went to a protest organised by Catholics against the film for the lolz, he has also mentioned it at several Q+A's saying that maybe if they gave the film a chance they would realise it's a film with a rubber poop monster in it and realise it isnt worth protesting about, he also mentioned he recieved life threatening letters aimed at the Miramax (the film's production company) heads because they were jewish!! religion pisses me off, especially catholicism.

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post Dec 24 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #11
Group icon
im all clares!
QUOTE(Chris(tmas). @ Dec 24 2009, 09:32 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

you make me laugh, yes because Grimly says things like 'censorship' and 'facism' because he thinks it's cool, you seriously thinks he doesnt know what he is on about? rotf.gif

I'm not joking, this post is possibly the funniest i've ever seen on the whole of Buzzjack. You clearly havent taken notice of many posts by Scott if you think he is 'narrow minded' and thinks that 'everything that goes wrong in the universe has something to do with religion'.

In the end, religion is bull$h!t, if a film doesnt get made because of some bull$h!t religion, that there is something terribly wrong going on, I dont know what it is with catholics, but I think they need to realise other people might think differently to them. I respect people's faith, I may think it's bull$h!t, but I dont disrespect them for it, then when someone comes along with an opposing view to certain religions (mainly catholics) then all of a sudden they have massive disrespect.

It's like when catholic's highly protested Kevin Smith's film 'Dogma', without really knowing anything about it, mainly because they were all ignorant, Kevin just went with it and went to a protest organised by Catholics against the film for the lolz, he has also mentioned it at several Q+A's saying that maybe if they gave the film a chance they would realise it's a film with a rubber poop monster in it and realise it isnt worth protesting about, he also mentioned he recieved life threatening letters aimed at the Miramax (the film's production company) heads because they were jewish!! religion pisses me off, especially catholicism.

..... plus grimlys up for the 'most intelligent poster on bj' award, cant see jjn or overstaged as he is now known being up for that somehow! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post Dec 26 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #12
Group icon
im all clares!
...on the subject of catholicism, anybody else see the irony yesterday ?..... the news covered the popes crimbo speech, followed by a report that 2 preists (or some catholic heirarchy) were resigning after revelations about peadophile preists in the catholic church?... the whole circus sickens me, all that 'holier then thou' .....

+Quote this post
Cal
post Dec 26 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 5,964
QUOTE(Mushymanrob @ Dec 26 2009, 10:06 AM) *
...on the subject of catholicism, anybody else see the irony yesterday ?..... the news covered the popes crimbo speech, followed by a report that 2 preists (or some catholic heirarchy) were resigning after revelations about peadophile preists in the catholic church?... the whole circus sickens me, all that 'holier then thou' .....

Ditto. But the thing that surprised me was that a lot of the Catholics in this country are extremely against the 'holier than thou' attitude... even my grandmother who is mega-catholic is against these bishops and is even cool about things like same-sex relationships etc. (obviously there will always be a large group of bible-beaters, but most are a lot more open-minded than they used to be). A lot of people here identify themselves as Catholic, but it's more of a way-of-life than anything else. I don't know many practicing Catholics here. And all of the people I know who are from Catholic families are against these bishops named in the abuse report and bishops who claim to know what's right and what's wrong. Thankfully they'll all be sent to prison, and rightly so. Scumbags. dry.gif

Don't even get me started on the Catholic church interfering with movie releases. It's ridiculous. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Sabrewulf
post Dec 27 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #14
Group icon
All hail the mighty Pingu
User: 5,921
Golden Compass sad.gif, I really liked those books although I haven't seen the film.

Those idiots should keep well enough to themselves, but they just love to put their slimy tendrils into absolutely everything. mad.gif

They will only turn people away from religious faith with this kind of carry on sleep.gif

I really hope this movie eventually goes ahead now

This post has been edited by Sabrewulf238: Dec 27 2009, 11:11 AM

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post Dec 28 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #15
Group icon
im all clares!
QUOTE(Sabrewulf238 @ Dec 27 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Golden Compass sad.gif, I really liked those books although I haven't seen the film.

Those idiots should keep well enough to themselves, but they just love to put their slimy tendrils into absolutely everything. mad.gif

They will only turn people away from religious faith with this kind of carry on sleep.gif

I really hope this movie eventually goes ahead now

oh well, every cloud has a silver lining! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post Dec 28 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #16
Group icon

Of course not everything that goes on in the UNIVERSE is to do with "religion", but you SERIOUSLY need to wake up if you cant see that "religion" has, and continues to be, the major factor in many conflicts around the world (HELLO, what do you think all the sh"t in the Middle East is about, you prat rolleyes.gif , and what about the fact that communities in Northern Ireland are STILL divided according to religious dogma, what the hell do you think all these "Orange Parades" are about....??? WAKE UP!!!!!! dry.gif )..... And this whole issue of "censorship" came up in the first place because of what a bunch of political and religious-types considered "indecent"... The whole "Indecent Publications Act" had a religious/christian values subtext running through it as indelibly as the word "Blackpool" does through a stick of rock, it's absolutely and utterly undeniable that "christian values" played a part in the censorship of the arts in this country ever since the creation of the arts themselves... Even Shakespeare had to have a care that what he did wasn't considered "blasphemous", or doubtless he'd've ended up with his head cut off for being a "heretic"....

The Monty Python team were accused of Blasphemy after making "Life of Brian"
Martin Scorcese was accused of Blasphemy after making "Last Temptation of Christ"
Philip Pullman has himself been accused of Blasphemy also...

None of this is "conspiracy".... It's FACT!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif

You want to know why I associate the Catholic Church with Fascism...? Well. I'll tell you, the Pope not having the GUTS to stand up to the Nazis in WW2.... Not only that, but issuing an actual PAPAL EDICT to Priests not to offer sanctuary to Jews fleeing Nazi persecution...... In my view, this made the Vatican just as bad as the fukkin' VICHY, cowardly fukkin' maggots...... mad.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post Dec 28 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #17
Group icon
QUOTE(Mushymanrob @ Dec 26 2009, 10:06 AM) *

I'll tell you what I think is Ironic.... All these religious types going on about how pursuit of "material wealth" and the like is bad, and yet all these big religious institutions invest in the bloody STOCK MARKET....... rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Overstaged
post Jan 17 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Leave right now or quicker
User: 508
QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Dec 28 2009, 11:51 AM) *
Of course not everything that goes on in the UNIVERSE is to do with "religion", but you SERIOUSLY need to wake up if you cant see that "religion" has, and continues to be, the major factor in many conflicts around the world (HELLO, what do you think all the sh"t in the Middle East is about, you prat rolleyes.gif , and what about the fact that communities in Northern Ireland are STILL divided according to religious dogma, what the hell do you think all these "Orange Parades" are about....??? WAKE UP!!!!!!

OMG, itīs f***ing hilarious how predictably shallow this guy is. The whole movie thing was nothing but an excuse for you to vomit the whole "religion is evil" speech that you use in 99 out of 100 topics in here. You definitely need to wake up and stop being a freaking FANATIC, cause you donīt seem healthier then any religious fanatic I know. Thatīs seriously sick.

The Monty Python team were accused of Blasphemy after making "Life of Brian"
Martin Scorcese was accused of Blasphemy after making "Last Temptation of Christ"
Philip Pullman has himself been accused of Blasphemy also...

None of this is "conspiracy".... It's FACT!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif
Yet, they were all published... which makes your whole argument about Golden Compass sound like bull$h!t once again. Of course, catholics can say whatever they want to whatever movie. I know that sick fanatics like you arenīt able to live in a world were people with different opinions then yours can voice them, but thatīs where we live in.

You want to know why I associate the Catholic Church with Fascism...?

Because you are a fanatic, period.

The topic is about a flopping movie that, acording to you, wasnīt released because of the catholic church... the source of all evil in the universe. cool.gif

+Quote this post
Daniel.
post Jan 17 2010, 05:43 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 9,900
QUOTE(Overstaged @ Jan 17 2010, 02:29 AM) *
Yet, they were all published... which makes your whole argument about Golden Compass sound like bull$h!t once again.

To be fair, New Line forced edits of the script and movie, including the ending, because they didn't want to offend. It wasn't stopped from being published, but it did have a serious effect on how it was made, which is one of the factors for the films lack of box office and critical success. He does have a point there. But religion is not the only reason why TGC failed other issues like the over saturation of fantasy films in the market at the time, New Line not knowing which audience it wanted to target the film at etc

This post has been edited by DanielMiles17: Jan 17 2010, 05:43 AM

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post Jan 17 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #20
Group icon
im all clares!
QUOTE(Overstaged @ Jan 17 2010, 02:29 AM) *
The topic is about a flopping movie that, acording to you, wasnīt released because of the catholic church... the source of all evil in the universe. cool.gif

yep.... at least youve got that bit right.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:06 PM