BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Teacher Peter Harvey 'beat pupil while shouting die', BBC News
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve D
post Apr 26 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Is a Moderator :o
User: 7,757
BBC News Article

Teacher Peter Harvey 'beat pupil while shouting die'

Peter Harvey denies a charge of attempted murder in July 2009

A science teacher beat a pupil around the head with a dumbbell while shouting "die, die, die", a court heard.

Peter Harvey, 50, hit the 14-year-old boy with a 3kg weight at All Saints' Roman Catholic School, Mansfield, a jury heard.

He denies attempted murder and causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent, but has admitted a charge of GBH.

Nottingham Crown Court was told students were filmed calling Mr Harvey a "psycho" moments before the attack.

Another pupil was filming as Mr Harvey tried to restore discipline.

The injured schoolboy, whom Mr Harvey confronted for misbehaving in class, suffered a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain.

At the time the blows were being struck Mr Harvey was only heard to say one thing... 'die, die, die'
Stuart Rafferty QC

Stuart Rafferty QC, prosecuting, said Mr Harvey was sent home from the school in December 2008 after telling an education adviser he might harm somebody.

He returned to the classroom in April 2009.

Mr Harvey was "happy" and "positive" on the morning of the attack, the court heard.

But, after a girl with behavioural difficulties started being disruptive it was alleged he kicked her, Mr Rafferty said.

He added: "She left the classroom in a state of tears and some of the class took exception to the way she had been treated and started calling him a psycho.

"He didn't seem to respond to that and told the class to get on with their work."

'Chased round classroom'

The schoolboy victim then started waving a wooden metre rule and a metal Bunsen burner about in "high jinks" before he was attacked, the court heard.

Mr Harvey chased him round the classroom and the boy swore at him, the jury was told.

Mr Rafferty said: "That seems to have lit the blue touch paper because Mr Harvey grabbed him by his collar and started dragging him out of the classroom.

"He threw him to the ground and armed himself with a 3kg dumbbell and began to hit the boy about the head with it.

"He struck at least two blows to the head which caused serious injury, really serious injury.

"At the time the blows were being struck Mr Harvey was only heard to say one thing.

"What he was saying was 'die, die, die'."

'Felt no emotion'

The court heard that one pupil tried to drag Mr Harvey off the boy, who was lying on his back looking "frightened and confused".

The teacher was kneeling above him, raising the dumbbell to shoulder height for each of the blows.

Mr Rafferty said: "No-one can say for one moment what happened to this boy was deserved or justified.

"What he [Mr Harvey] did was grossly disproportionate to the wrong inflicted on him by the boy or other members of the class."

The court heard that Mr Harvey later told police he felt like he was watching himself on television.

He said he was not feeling any emotion and "couldn't think at all".

'Mental breakdown'

The jury was told one 15-year-old girl, who was in the class when the attack happened, claimed she confronted Harvey about his behaviour moments before the attack.

In an interview given to police, she said: "I said to him, 'Sir, I think you are having a mental breakdown' because people were scared of him. He started murmuring something about killing me."

Describing the attack, the girl added: "He grabbed him by the neck and forced him out into the corridor. The class ran out and he got him to the floor.

"By this time he was doing something to him. He grabbed a weight and hit him on the head constantly. He didn't stop and blood was everywhere.

"Everyone was screaming and then two people went and got teachers."

The trial continues.

Harrowing (if that is the right word) man should be shot.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh
post Apr 26 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #2
Group icon
✌🏻️
User: 43
Wait.. they teach science at a catholic school? laugh.gif Anyway, this sounds like a pretty horrific offence. :/

+Quote this post
Danny
post Apr 27 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457
Tbh I have sympathy for him. I think anyone young here knows what gob$h!tes kids can be to teachers these days.

+Quote this post
Kath
post Apr 27 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 27 2010, 01:22 AM) *
Tbh I have sympathy for him. I think anyone young here knows what gob$h!tes kids can be to teachers these days.

So do I. I remember reading some comments from former pupils of his who said he was a great teacher and a mild-mannered man. Some kids (in just the few years after I'd left secondary school) took great pleasure in tormenting one of the French teachers. He was a lovely, shy man ... good at his job ... but they reduced him to a nervous wreck ... at one time locking him in the stationery cupboard. I heard he left teaching soon after as he'd had a nervous breakdown. That was kids in the late 1970's ... believe me they are much worse today. A lot of them are, you correctly point out, gob$h!tes!

Mine was a catholic school too!

Norma

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Apr 27 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I have quite a lot of sympathy for him to be honest. A teacher's job is not what it once was and certainly is not the job he probably originally applied for.

The way pupils are allowed to treat members of staff is disgusting, it's changed so much even from when I was at school. It doesn't excuse this offense but I suspect the teacher is a victim of sorts too, you have to question whether he should have been allowed back to teach if he openly admitted having problems.

The whole story just emphasises the current problems within schools and the potentially tragic consequences of not addressing them properly.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post Apr 27 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #6
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118
Knowing what Mansfield is like I can imagine that there are schools which must be absolutely awful to teach at. I have no doubt that the kids will be being portrayed as completely innocent in this when the reality will be far from that.

+Quote this post
Hitstastic
post Apr 27 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Sundream
User: 10,347
QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 27 2010, 01:22 AM) *

My cousin's husband (who has now taken early retirement) was a primary school teacher but he quit because of the problems he encountered. He tells a child off for being naughty. The child kicks him in the legs? blink.gif What happens to the child then? What can teachers do to prevent this from happening.

Personally, if I've ever seen an unruly child I always look at the parent(s) of that child. There is where the problems usually lie. I could post about several "parents" I know who have produced some terrible kids. They spoil them when they're young, then they couldn't care less about them by the age of 10. No wonder there are children who grow up with no respect for anybody and lack of discipline.

It makes me sigh. sleep.gif

This post has been edited by Hitstastic: Apr 27 2010, 06:58 PM

+Quote this post
JamesP
post Apr 27 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,443
I'm just waiting for Grimly's "typical Catholic dry.gif" response tbh.

+Quote this post
Kath
post Apr 27 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Hitstastic @ Apr 27 2010, 07:56 PM) *
My cousin's husband (who has now taken early retirement) was a primary school teacher but he quit because of the problems he encountered. He tells a child off for being naughty. The child kicks him in the legs? blink.gif What happens to the child then? What can teachers do to prevent this from happening.

Personally, if I've ever seen an unruly child I always look at the parent(s) of that child. There is where the problems usually lie. I could post about several "parents" I know who have produced some terrible kids. They spoil them when they're young, then they couldn't care less about them by the age of 10. No wonder there are children who grow up with no respect for anybody and lack of discipline.

It makes me sigh. sleep.gif

Exactly! I do think ... those kids I mentioned in my earlier post (the ones who bullied the French teacher) are grown up now with kids (some even grandkids) and I think ... what the hell are those children like!

Norma

+Quote this post
David
post Apr 27 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 44
I went to this school and he was my physics teacher in year ten. I can honestly say that he was a really lovely man, and someone all the kids - in my year anyway - respected. I know who the boy was who got hit over the head, but have never actually seen him. Apparently he wasn't "one of the worst" in the year though. The school's going down the pan anyway, and it is actually situated directly opposite the street that was given the title of the worst place to live in the East Midlands... Mr Harvey was off through illness sometime in 2008/9 I think it was following a stroke, and was apparently rushed back to work as the staff were low or something. He was in no fit state to be teaching at this time at all.

You only have to look around on Facebook to see how many groups are in support of him by former pupils - he was someone everybody got on with. A bit more digging and you might be able to find some of the groups saying the boy had it coming to him and deserved what he got! Though I admit that's rather harsh.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post Apr 29 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190
This is as a consequence of taking Corporal Punishment out of schools....

No, seriously, it IS... Think about it... Discipline was far more well-defined during the 60s, 70s and early 80s, the past two decades have seen a total breakdown in School discipline, and ultimately, this is the result, a teacher of previous good character just having a total breakdown... I dont condone what he did, but having several friends who work as teachers (and in NON-Catholic schools as a matter of fact..), I can understand where this came from..

James, my issues are with the CATHOLIC CHURCH and its hierarchy, not with Catholics as individual people, why dont you actually read my posts on the subject before spouting rubbish...? rolleyes.gif There's nothing to even suggest that Mr Harvey even is a practicing Catholic.. You dont actually have to be a practicing Catholic to work in a Catholic school these days, didn't you know that...?

+Quote this post
GrAmii
post Apr 29 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Imma gonz Blue Waffle ya up bitch!
User: 30
This is why I am going to be teaching in higher education! I really could not deal with being treated like a piece of $h!t by a bunch of brats. I agree with the majority here that whilst the offence is rather appalling and horrific, you can't blame a guy for snapping with the crap that teachers have to put up with day in and day out. It was bad enough when I was leaving school five years ago or so...

+Quote this post
thisispop
post Apr 29 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72
The teacher has been acquitted of the charges:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/notting...ire/8652243.stm

I totally agree with Grimly on this matter.

+Quote this post
David
post Apr 29 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 44
So pleased for him getting off! happy.gif And Grimly, he wasn't Catholic I don't believe...

+Quote this post
Kath
post Apr 29 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Great to hear he's been acquitted.

Norma

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post Apr 30 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #16
Group icon
im all clares!
User: 5
common sense rules smile.gif

+Quote this post
tom03
post Apr 30 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,693
I know this happened ages ago but something has finally happened in my small town. Anyways the justice system finally prevails in this country. One of my friend's cousins was in that particular class and apparently the kid was being a right dikc

+Quote this post
Sabrewulf
post May 5 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #18
Group icon
All hail the mighty Pingu
User: 5,921
The teachers in my old secondary school are very lucky, at times it probably seems like some students are horribly nasty and annoying but in the grand scheme of things most students at my school were like angels compared to some other kids. There's one kid that was in my old school though, he was extremley evil.....he hangs around in a gang and makes noises in your face and even shoves people around (not just students) and basically invades on your personal space/makes you very uncomfortable etc.. I'm pretty sure one of these days someone is going to beat the heck out of him and quite frankly he will deserve every second of it.

It's alright being human and caring and all that but at the end of the day there are some people.....that are just so vile and monsterous that I can't feel any sympathy for what happens to them at all.

I get the feeling that's what happened here, the teacher did go over the top definitely but I'm sure it's extremley difficult for teachers these days when they face off with students like the person I mentioned earlier. I doubt this teacher is the first one who's had to struggle with evil thoughts about students. (although not many probably act on it)

Teacher discipline has become so wishy-washy, Students rarely feel any sort of respect for Teachers anymore....

This post has been edited by Sabrewulf: May 5 2010, 10:19 AM

+Quote this post
jark
post May 5 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #19
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
This thread is appalling. I feel ill reading it. He hit a pupil around the head with a 3KG DUMBBELL. He was lucky he didn't DIE. But that's OKAY, is it? Because pupils can be little shits? Because he was under STRESS? mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Danny
post May 5 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457
QUOTE(Jark @ May 5 2010, 04:11 PM) *
This thread is appalling. I feel ill reading it. He hit a pupil around the head with a 3KG DUMBBELL. He was lucky he didn't DIE. But that's OKAY, is it? Because pupils can be little shits? Because he was under STRESS? mellow.gif

No-one's saying it was OK, neither is anyone saying that the kid deserved it. What people are saying is that they can understand how it happened and have sympathy for the teacher. The guy had been under severe stress for about a year beforehand, and he'd been pushed to breaking point by his students; one of the pupils in the class said in court that, on that day, they'd decided they would deliberately try and push him, because they knew of his health problems. And it's understandable that eventually he just snapped. He said in court that he felt as though he was literally having an out-of-body experience, and the jury accepted and agreed with that.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:19 PM