BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Sick of the fukkin' World Cup already, ...and not a single ball's been kicked yet....
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th June 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

...Seriously, is it not just a month of complete annoyance for those of us who actually want to watch something on Telly that ISN'T football or go to a pub with mates which ISN'T showing fukkin' wall-to-wall fukkin' football......?

And also, people feel that they've got some entitlement to days off work or break dress codes at work simply because it's the sodding World Cup as well... Err, well, let's see how far tennis or athletics fans get with that one during the Olympics or Wimbledon.... THEY DONT, so why the blue blazes do football fans have this rather arrogant presumption of entitlement to special treatment in the workplace...? Seriously.... And, god forbid someone actually criticises this presumption, they're then condemned as being "spoilsports"... Well, sorry, but I simply dont believe that the England football team fans should be given anymore consideration than Andy Murray/Tim Henman fans or fans of the UK Athletics team... Mind you, the UK athletes and Andy Murray actually have more chance of winning something that England's sodding "soccer" team does anyway....... tongue.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 11th June 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

I agree, the country takes it far too seriously, i wish there was some non-football pubs. i cant even check facebook without seeing a thousand statuses saying 'WORLD CUP!!!!!' it's like well done for noticing. Some houses and supermarkets look as tacky as christmas when it comes to decorating. It's not even much of an exciting sport.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th June 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(Chris. @ Jun 11 2010, 12:24 PM) *
I agree, the country takes it far too seriously, i wish there was some non-football pubs. i cant even check facebook without seeing a thousand statuses saying 'WORLD CUP!!!!!' it's like well done for noticing. Some houses and supermarkets look as tacky as christmas when it comes to decorating. It's not even much of an exciting sport.

I'm lucky insofar as most of my FB friends are Goths/Metallers, so there's not been so much of that tbh. Seems that generally speaking, Goths have little or no interest in footie.... However, I did have about a week of my friends posting up their pictures of themselves at the Wave Gotik Treffen festival in Leipzig which I'm never able to go to cos it coincides with Uni Exams..... So, swings and roundabouts I suppose.... laugh.gif

Mind you, I'd rather look at pictures of pretty Goth ladies and lads cavorting around Germany in corsets, rubber and PVC, than a bunch of sweaty, overpaid r*t**** in shorts kicking a pig's bladder around; then getting all excited, taking their shirts off, kissing and cuddling and fondling one another then sharing a bath together.... Football, it's all a bit....gay really innit....? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post 11th June 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #4
Group icon
im all clares!
User: 5

heres an interesting fact

we won the world cup! .... yes we did.... recently... i cricket, now where tf has THAT been mentioned?

i fully agree with you scott...i detest footy and the footy fans per-se even more.

ps liked your joke on fb. rotf.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th June 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(Mushymanrob @ Jun 11 2010, 01:21 PM) *
we won the world cup! .... yes we did.... recently... i cricket, now where tf has THAT been mentioned?

Hmmm, yeah, good point that... Of course you DO get people sneaking days off for the Test at Lords too dont you....? laugh.gif

Seems like even the English obsession with cricket has taken a second place next to the absolute endless WC hype machine...... rolleyes.gif

I wish I could lay claim to that joke Rob.... But I did nick it off a friend's status myself....

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post 11th June 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #6
Group icon
im all clares!

i guessed so ... but you still brought it to our attention!

+Quote this post
Severin
post 11th June 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Don't get me wrong I'm not the biggest football fan in the world but i do like the game and the truth is it's the countries national sport - hence the greater attention given to it. I don't agree that people should be entitled to time of to watch it but if you wanna use a days holiday or lieu time for a game feel free. Work dress code remains in place. I do like to see the country support the team and would be just as happy for that to extend to our other sports.

As for telly, there are so many channels and internet access these days you can still watch whatever you want whenever you want so that's a non complaint in my book. And as far as I'm concerned most of the time there's f*** all on TV that doesn't insult my intelligence anyway. Loads of pubs in Brighton have no TV showing the football for the same very reason that people want a drink elsewhere so again unless your home town is particularly unusual it should be no problem. You just need to look around abit I guess.

As for goths and metallers not being interested I figure it's pretty even. Having been part of the scene since the mid 80s I can honestly say I know and have known an awful lot that are. Hell, I even played for my school team. A full on football match in the park between all the local weirdos used to be hilarious (you know what I mean if you've ever seen a psychobilly wreck his huge quiff with a header, and as for trying to play in winkle pickers!).
It's just the overly large numbers of chavs and idiots that give everyone else and the game a bad name.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th June 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(Severin @ Jun 11 2010, 02:05 PM) *
It's just the overly large numbers of chavs and idiots that give everyone else and the game a bad name.

The very reason that the Goths tend to avoid it really.... laugh.gif

Mind you, in saying this, it's not that ALL pubs who show footie are the problem.. Myself and friends generally meet-up in a German pub called Zeitgeist before going out, and the German footie fans all seem a hell of a lot more civilised and Goth-friendly.. So, the answer would appear, if you're a Goth or Alternative, make sure you're surrounded by German footie fans, not English ones.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Severin
post 11th June 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Jun 11 2010, 02:19 PM) *
The very reason that the Goths tend to avoid it really.... laugh.gif

Mind you, in saying this, it's not that ALL pubs who show footie are the problem.. Myself and friends generally meet-up in a German pub called Zeitgeist before going out, and the German footie fans all seem a hell of a lot more civilised and Goth-friendly.. So, the answer would appear, if you're a Goth or Alternative, make sure you're surrounded by German footie fans, not English ones.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

As I said earlier I've not found that the alternative crowd avoid football particularly, but I agree continental fans seem more relaxed about it

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 11th June 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

Good to see Scott being anti-English as ever. biggrin.gif

Maybe if the Scots weren't so fukkin' $h!t at football (compared to their halycon era of the 1970s-80s) they might think differently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8733373.stm

Never mind you small minded pathetic nation which had England given independence to when the SNP wanted it (Alex Salmond's comments about Iceland as a role model would have been hilarious but for whom has to bail of out the Royal Bank Of Scotland), it would have saved the English taxpayer £27 billion per annum, just tuck into your Deep Fried Fat Mars Bars you bunch of unfit alcoholic CU Jimmies and support ABE you bunch of losers. rotf.gif

But seriously ....... I too hate the moronic "Eng-er-land" chav supporters with a passion who've probably already downloaded that beyond vile "Shout For England" record (that is so dire it makes me want to support Germany); who think Cheryl Cole is well fit and talented and an amazing singer innit; think Simon Cowell is a genius who deserves a knighthood (instead of beheading); believe everything they read in The Sun/News Of The World; think James Corden is funny; and will go into a violent drunken rage the very second after England inevitably get knocked out in the knock out stages of the competition on penalties.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th June 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #11
Group icon

QUOTE(thisispop @ Jun 11 2010, 02:27 PM) *
Good to see Scott being anti-English as ever. biggrin.gif

Maybe if the Scots weren't so fukkin' $h!t at football (compared to their halycon era of the 1970s-80s) they might think differently.

That argument might have some merit if it weren't for the fact that just about ALL my English Goth mates hate footie as much as I do..... tongue.gif I couldn't really care less if Scotland ever qualified again.... The team would likely be made up mainly from players from these sectarian clubs Rangers and Celtic anyway, so, again, it's not about hating England as such, I've little or no time for the petty politicking that exists in Scottish football either.... And Alex Salmond is a grade-A fukkwit... The only reason the Scottish people voted for him was out of a protest vote against B-Liar and the Iraq war, let's face it, they would've been better off voting for Tommy Sheridan in the end though..... rolleyes.gif

At the end of the day, I base my opinions on what I experience, myself and my friends experience hostility from English footie fans and tolerance from German fans.. It's a no brainer really Rich, nothing to do with being "anti-english".... rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 11th June 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Jun 11 2010, 02:44 PM) *
That argument might have some merit if it weren't for the fact that just about ALL my English Goth mates hate footie as much as I do..... tongue.gif I couldn't really care less if Scotland ever qualified again.... The team would likely be made up mainly from players from these sectarian clubs Rangers and Celtic anyway, so, again, it's not about hating England as such, I've little or no time for the petty politicking that exists in Scottish football either.... And Alex Salmond is a grade-A fukkwit... The only reason the Scottish people voted for him was out of a protest vote against B-Liar and the Iraq war, let's face it, they would've been better off voting for Tommy Sheridan in the end though..... rolleyes.gif

At the end of the day, I base my opinions on what I experience, myself and my friends experience hostility from English footie fans and tolerance from German fans.. It's a no brainer really Rich, nothing to do with being "anti-english".... rolleyes.gif

The irony of course being that in Germany you proportionally 3.8 times more likely to be a victim of a racially motivated assault (it just so happens that the top two worst English clubs for football nutters are Millwall & West Ham (Cardiff lie 3rd)); and they have 4.7 times as many arrests for Football supporting related incidents than in England.

Still nevermind. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th June 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #13
Group icon

QUOTE(thisispop @ Jun 11 2010, 02:57 PM) *
The irony of course being that in Germany you proportionally 3.8 times more likely to be a victim of a racially motivated assault (it just so happens that the top two worst English clubs for football nutters are Millwall & West Ham (Cardiff lie 3rd)); and they have 4.7 times as many arrests for Football supporting related incidents than in England.

Still nevermind. sleep.gif

Obviously they export their better fans..... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 11th June 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Get in to the spirit Scott. thumbup.gif Wait until England's last group match which is at 3pm the week after next, Thursday I think. The CBI is predicting millions will take the day off sick!! ohmy.gif They do right if they want to watch England as it's only once every 4 years. Bosses should let everyone finish at 1 or 2 , men or women if they want to, with no loss of pay or have it on at work.

This post has been edited by Victor Meldrew: 11th June 2010, 03:42 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 11th June 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Jun 11 2010, 12:06 PM) *
Mind you, the UK athletes and Andy Murray actually have more chance of winning something that England's sodding "soccer" team does anyway....... tongue.gif

You may be eating your words on July 12th dude as many think we've a good chance under Capello. Hope not though as I want Brazil to win.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th June 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(Victor Meldrew @ Jun 11 2010, 04:36 PM) *
Get in to the spirit Scott. thumbup.gif Wait until England's last group match which is at 3pm the week after next, Thursday I think. The CBI is predicting millions will take the day off sick!! ohmy.gif They do right if they want to watch England as it's only once every 4 years. Bosses should let everyone finish at 1 or 2 , men or women if they want to, with no loss of pay or have it on at work.

Every four years my arse.... What about the fukkin' Euro championships...? You get the same bloody great hype in the media for that as well. What about the Qualifiers for the Euro and WC too..? I'm sorry, but how far, exactly should we take this..? Maybe we should allow Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea fans special dispensation when their teams play in the Champions League then.... This is just utter BOLLOX... The country should NOT grind to a halt because of a fukkin' football match.....

Frankly, in the current economic climate with thousands losing their jobs, I reckon that anyone caught taking a "sickie" on Thursday should be disciplined and/or sacked... Pretty sure there would be plenty of people on the dole queues that would be willing to have jobs.... dry.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 11th June 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

No it's a week on Thursday actually, 24th, last group game at 3.30pm our times. How can they prove they're lying about being sick for a day? They can't!

This post has been edited by Victor Meldrew: 11th June 2010, 04:56 PM

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post 11th June 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #18
Group icon
im all clares!

QUOTE(Victor Meldrew @ Jun 11 2010, 05:55 PM) *
No it's a week on Thursday actually, 24th, last group game at 3.30pm our times. How can they prove they're lying about being sick for a day? They can't!

shows how much YOU know about working environments... its not up to the bosses to prove youre lying...its upto the employee that he/she is sick.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 11th June 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Mushymanrob @ Jun 11 2010, 06:03 PM) *
shows how much YOU know about working environments... its not up to the bosses to prove youre lying...its upto the employee that he/she is sick.

Scott said anyone taking time off should be disciplined or sacked. How could they be? If the person says they're sick then that's that. You don't need a note for under a week. I asked for a day off to attend an interview when I was working. They refused as two others were off that day so I just rang in sick on the day of the interview. The boss had me in his office next day, threatening to suspend me and said I'd gone to the interview. I said "Yes I did but felt ill in the morning too! You prove otherwise" and he was speechless. Never suspended me.

This post has been edited by Victor Meldrew: 11th June 2010, 05:20 PM

+Quote this post
Sabrewulf
post 11th June 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #20
Group icon
All hail the mighty Pingu
User: 5,921

It is kinda annoying already but not unbearable.......On the bus today the radio was all world cup this world cup that. I did hear on the radio that Obama was in some old music video though which was a nice change of pace from world cup fever...

however season 3 of True Blood is almost here so I don't really care, It'll get me through biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sabrewulf: 11th June 2010, 06:00 PM

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 03:53 AM