BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Winter Heating Allowances for the elderly
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Kath
post 18th August 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980

Plans afoot to scrap (well ... to make adjustments that to all intents and purposes will) the heating allowance for elderly people.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...ction-pledge.do

Why don't the ConDems just introduce Carousel from Logan's Run? But in addition ... kill everyone who isn't on a minimum of £50,000 per annum.

In fact ... how about just nuking everywhere north of the Watford Gap ... that'd really save a load of money. I'm poor ... I don't mind sacrificing myself for the great and good of the country as a whole.

Norma

And before anyone says it NO! I am not old enough to be eligible for the heating allowance either!!!!!!

This post has been edited by Norma_Snockers: 18th August 2010, 10:40 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
onika miraj
post 18th August 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 11,017

The elderly really are treated unfairly. I know my Grandparents constantly talk about the way they are treated.

The idiots in this country only have themselves to blame for voting Tories at least Scottish people were sensible with their votes.

I don't see why they haven't already scrapped Child Benefits for the rich stop bloody talking about it and just scrap it.

The UK really is the pits though and I am getting fed up of being here.

+Quote this post
I ❤ JustinBieber
post 18th August 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,934

QUOTE(onika miraj @ Aug 18 2010, 12:20 PM) *
The elderly really are treated unfairly. I know my Grandparents constantly talk about the way they are treated.

The idiots in this country only have themselves to blame for voting Tories at least Scottish people were sensible with their votes.

I don't see why they haven't already scrapped Child Benefits for the rich stop bloody talking about it and just scrap it.

The UK really is the pits though and I am getting fed up of being here.

The talk is of scrapping stuff for the well off elderly, there is a lot of wealthy elderly in this country, cruise ships are packed, the average age of a millionaire in this country is 59 so there are a lot of millionaire elderly so why does a millionaire need a free bus pass, free eye test, winter fuel allowance ?

I think it is totally right that money goes only to those that genuinely need it in this country

It is ridiculous that well off people with comfortable lifestyles get benefits and it is right to curb that.

Poor elderly won't be affected.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 18th August 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(I ❤ JustinBieber @ Aug 18 2010, 01:07 PM) *
The talk is of scrapping stuff for the well off elderly, there is a lot of wealthy elderly in this country, cruise ships are packed, the average age of a millionaire in this country is 59 so there are a lot of millionaire elderly so why does a millionaire need a free bus pass, free eye test, winter fuel allowance ?

I think it is totally right that money goes only to those that genuinely need it in this country

It is ridiculous that well off people with comfortable lifestyles get benefits and it is right to curb that.

Poor elderly won't be affected.

It costs too much to means-test though ... so it is more efficient and beneficial in the long term to just kill every poor person over the age of 60 and stop child benefit for EVERYONE. If you have young children and can't afford to keep them yourself ... send them up chimneys like in the good old days.

Come on ... you know it makes sense!

Norma

+Quote this post
Kath
post 18th August 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Craig ... have you done the quiz today? What were your questions like? I had a bloody question on 'frisbee' terms! WTF?

Norma

+Quote this post
I ❤ JustinBieber
post 18th August 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Norma_Snockers @ Aug 18 2010, 01:12 PM) *
It costs too much to means-test though ... so it is more efficient and beneficial in the long term to just kill every poor person over the age of 60 and stop child benefit for EVERYONE. If you have young children and can't afford to keep them yourself ... send them up chimneys like in the good old days.

Come on ... you know it makes sense!

Norma

LMAO laugh.gif laugh.gif

My aunt for example, 68, ran a very successful business that she sold up, takes 3 holidays a year, drives a Porsche Cayenne etc, lives in a house you probably would need a sat nav to find way round it is so big, she is legally entitled to a winter fuel allowance, she is legally entitled to free eye tests, she is legally entitled to free prescriptions, she is legally entitled to a free bus pass, its madness that state money can go to her and there are millions of elderly in this country like her.

Scrap everything for the likes of her and just have the money going to the shuffling old ladies who have to turn off bars of heating on the fire in the winter to save money etc

I would means test child benefits, I would end child benefits for anything above 1 child, I would means test everything for the elderly bar the state pension, I would ban immigrants from claiming anything till they have paid tax for x amount of time, the initial costs of admin for these things would be quite high but it would pay for tax cuts further down the line.

+Quote this post
I ❤ JustinBieber
post 18th August 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Norma_Snockers @ Aug 18 2010, 01:13 PM) *
Craig ... have you done the quiz today? What were your questions like? I had a bloody question on 'frisbee' terms! WTF?

Norma

LOL was a nightmare, got one on baseball and one about which university a basketball player went to manson.gif

American sports do my head in in the quiz lol

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th August 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

It's always a question of balance. Excluding only the very wealthiest from benefits wouldn't save anything because of the extra admin costs. I have no idea at what point the reverse becomes true.

It is of course ridiculous that people can still get the winter fuel allowance if they spend the entire winter on cruises or in Spain.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 18th August 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(I ❤ JustinBieber @ Aug 18 2010, 01:20 PM) *
LMAO laugh.gif laugh.gif

My aunt for example, 68, ran a very successful business that she sold up, takes 3 holidays a year, drives a Porsche Cayenne etc, lives in a house you probably would need a sat nav to find way round it is so big, she is legally entitled to a winter fuel allowance, she is legally entitled to free eye tests, she is legally entitled to free prescriptions, she is legally entitled to a free bus pass, its madness that state money can go to her and there are millions of elderly in this country like her.

Scrap everything for the likes of her and just have the money going to the shuffling old ladies who have to turn off bars of heating on the fire in the winter to save money etc

I would means test child benefits, I would end child benefits for anything above 1 child, I would means test everything for the elderly bar the state pension, I would ban immigrants from claiming anything till they have paid tax for x amount of time, the initial costs of admin for these things would be quite high but it would pay for tax cuts further down the line.

My mum lives in a shoe-box which we keep in our garden shed. We keep it well insulated with kapok and rolled up newspapers and when it gets very cold ... we let her cuddle up to the cat (but only when the cat wants to give up her place on the sofa.)

Norma

+Quote this post
onika miraj
post 18th August 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

Oh please saying that old people spend the winter on cruises is complete and utter bull$h!t as is the suggestion that all old people are rich.

+Quote this post
Steve D
post 18th August 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Is a Moderator :o
User: 7,757

QUOTE(onika miraj @ Aug 18 2010, 01:34 PM) *
Oh please saying that old people spend the winter on cruises is complete and utter bull$h!t as is the suggestion that all old people are rich.

If you were to read posts properly you'd see no one has said that.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th August 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(onika miraj @ Aug 18 2010, 01:34 PM) *

Nobody has said that all old people are rich. A significant number of old people do spend three months in Spain while others spend large parts of the winter on cruises. That's their choice but I don't see why they should also be entitled to an allowance to heat a home they aren't living in.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 18th August 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Speaking of people going on cruises .... where's Rich (thisispop)? I haven't seen a post from him in ages!

Norma

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th August 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Norma_Snockers @ Aug 18 2010, 02:11 PM) *
Speaking of people going on cruises .... where's Rich (thisispop)? I haven't seen a post from him in ages!

Norma

He left sad.gif

+Quote this post
Kath
post 18th August 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Aug 18 2010, 02:12 PM) *
He left sad.gif

Did he make an announcement and go off in a huff? Or did he just .... stop posting?

Norma

+Quote this post
onika miraj
post 18th August 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Aug 18 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Nobody has said that all old people are rich. A significant number of old people do spend three months in Spain while others spend large parts of the winter on cruises. That's their choice but I don't see why they should also be entitled to an allowance to heat a home they aren't living in.

It is impossible to tell who does this. Meanwhile the poor old people don't get heating as a small number are on holiday?

+Quote this post
onika miraj
post 18th August 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(BJBB Steve @ Aug 18 2010, 01:59 PM) *
If you were to read posts properly you'd see no one has said that.

You are severely boring and pathetic. Grow up and stalk someone else.

+Quote this post
Steve D
post 18th August 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Is a Moderator :o
User: 7,757

QUOTE(onika miraj @ Aug 18 2010, 02:23 PM) *
You are severely boring and pathetic. Grow up and stalk someone else.

Yes of course.

By the looks of things, i think it won't be completely axed.

And Rich left after a debacle in the mods lounge.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 18th August 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(BJBB Steve @ Aug 18 2010, 02:30 PM) *
And Rich left after a debacle in the mods lounge.

I didn't even know there was still a mods lounge! I thought it had been removed years ago. What was said? I'm a trifle annoyed! Rich was one of my favourite posters here

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th August 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(onika miraj @ Aug 18 2010, 02:23 PM) *
It is impossible to tell who does this. Meanwhile the poor old people don't get heating as a small number are on holiday?

That's not what I said. I said that the people who spend their entire winter away from home shouldn't get a heating allowance.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:11 AM