BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just why are UK way behind releases
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
poppet15
post Aug 11 2014, 12:56 PM
Post #1
UKs Biggest European Music fan
Group: Members
Member No.: 285

Just why are the UK so far behind mainland Europe releasing European singles.

Here are a few examples:
Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong -- 8 months behind
Klingande - Jubel -- was 9 months behind
Klangkarussell - Sonnentanz -- was nearly 1 year behind
Bakermat - Vandaag-- is nearly 1 year behind
Stromae - Papaoutai -- was released last year
Enrique Iglesias feat Sean Paul, Descemer Bueno & Gente De Zona – Bailando -- 5 months behind

I'd just like to know why it takes the UK record companies so long to release singles

This post has been edited by euro music: Aug 11 2014, 01:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Aug 11 2014, 01:19 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Enrique Iglesias feat Sean Paul, Descemer Bueno & Gente De Zona – Bailando -- 5 months behind

This has been a hit for only a month everywhere so a bit exaggerated, in some countries it's just taking off.

+Quote Post
Eric_Blob
post Aug 11 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 10,665
   No Gallery Pics

The Spanish version of Bailando at least might be up for download, since it's on streaming sites, whilst the English version isn't. It's such a catchy song imo.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Aug 11 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #4
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(euro music @ Aug 11 2014, 01:56 PM) *

Here are a few examples:

I'd just like to know why it takes the UK record companies so long to release singles

I think with a lot of these foreign singles, they have to be proven smashes in a number of other countries before radio here will touch them, especially with dance songs which almost all of these are.

The same could be applied in the opposite way though. Why are the Rather Be and Latch only just being promoted in the US? Some songs just take a while to break out into specific countries due to a lack of instant media support.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Aug 11 2014, 01:29 PM
Post #5
Bitch of t seet
Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE(euro music @ Aug 11 2014, 12:56 PM) *

Here are a few examples:

Because basicly, labels only announce a rlease date once it starts smashing around the world.
Radio's are to blame for that, as they hardly ever playlist songs that didn't smash in other places (Prime example is Icona Pop's I Love It. It didn't get playlisted in its first run, after which it got pushed back, reached the top 10 in the US and all over sudden R1 and Capital were all over it)

+Quote Post
AcerBen
post Aug 11 2014, 01:35 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,429
   No Gallery Pics

Because sadly UK radio doesn't playlist something because it sounds good. It's all about "The Plot". They want to know the act either already has a buzz or fanbase or the single's been a hit internationally.

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Aug 11 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Also, labels don't want to invest in songs they don't believe in. If a song is a hit in 10 other countries, it's likely to do well in the UK too.

+Quote Post
marcin
post Aug 11 2014, 01:51 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 800
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SKOB @ Aug 11 2014, 03:19 PM) *

This has been a hit for only a month everywhere so a bit exaggerated, in some countries it's just taking off.

but in Spain it's been charting for over 4 months.

Response to the topic's question: to get a sure-fire high peak.

+Quote Post
poppet15
post Aug 11 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(SKOB @ Aug 11 2014, 02:46 PM) *
Also, labels don't want to invest in songs they don't believe in. If a song is a hit in 10 other countries, it's likely to do well in the UK too.

Typical UK.
Yet if it's a US track especially an urban track radio is all over it.
Although even US country doesn't get a look in either like it used to.

Look at Manchester's own Rixton - 19 weeks on the US chart but only charted here 8 weeks ago.

I wonder how UK acts would do in other countries if they had the same attitude.

It would serve record companies right if mainland Europe had this attitude and UK acts didn't do so well.
Until the UK changes it attitude, I think mainland Europe should adopt the same.

This post has been edited by euro music: Aug 11 2014, 06:18 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 11 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

the logical outlet is Radio 1 for these, but they go for British acts that have little mass-appeal instead until they are forced to play them by proven chart success (and then sometimes not even then) - "target audience". The scratch my back and I'll scratch yours symbiotic monopoly between radio and the record companies is annoying and a peculiarly British obsession, radio wanting exclusives upfront of release, and record companies wanting to maximise chart position week 1 by delaying releases.

quite literally I've had to wait years to buy some big foreign hits, when, quite frankly how much does it cost to release a track on itunes? Nothing. It costs nothing. It makes money. Many monster hits sneaked quietly out and became huge hits a year later regardless when success abroad forced UK radio to play them (the list is very long).

What we need is world-wide instant itunes/amazon access, a level playing field, and records growing and going up the charts again. If it's deserving of a top slot it will get there anyway, if it isn't then we won't have to have an endless revolving door at the top of the charts thanks to marketing.

With radio, they need to listen to new releases and ignore the origin, stop trying to appeal to demographics, and refuse to play any record that isn't already on-sale, or at most a week ahead of sale. The record companies would soon change their behaviour.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Aug 11 2014, 07:20 PM
Post #11
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

Nothing is going to change as long as record labels still think the system is working (which, as far as their aims of ensuring a high chart peak, it is). Pretty much every song on UK iTunes has tens of reviews saying 'great song but why the wait???' but it's going to make no difference as record labels don't care about the consumers' inconvenience. It has been this way for a long time in the UK and the brief attempt to change it was incredibly poorly executed and as a result has given labels an excuse to continue their practices.

Honestly with the existence of YouTube and Spotify it's really not that much of a problem.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Aug 11 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #12
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Should I start to give my opinion......

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Aug 12 2014, 05:20 AM
Post #13
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(euro music @ Aug 11 2014, 01:56 PM) *

That can be answered in three words : because they're idiots!

Totally ultra-conservative - unprepared to take risks, even when the rewards are potentially enormous. Look how long it took to persuade them to allow downloads to be included in the charts, even when they comprised more than 50% of total sales. They love to sign generic boy/girl-bands, rather than artists that are more musically innovative.

[OK, rant over] tongue.gif

+Quote Post
flatdeejay
post Aug 12 2014, 06:45 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 1,015
   No Gallery Pics

Well, I also don't understand that in digital era why are not songs/singles available at same time in every digital store of the world. It makes me crazy that I need to wait weeks (ok, here in continental Europe it happens quite rarely, but still) and I feel that I'm forced to download songs from torrent wink.gif

I really don't care about radio and other promotions (the songs' release date should be independent from any promotion). If a song picks up, it will be a hit anyway regardless its release date.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 12 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE({ bré } @ Aug 11 2014, 08:20 PM) *
Nothing is going to change as long as record labels still think the system is working (which, as far as their aims of ensuring a high chart peak, it is). Pretty much every song on UK iTunes has tens of reviews saying 'great song but why the wait???' but it's going to make no difference as record labels don't care about the consumers' inconvenience. It has been this way for a long time in the UK and the brief attempt to change it was incredibly poorly executed and as a result has given labels an excuse to continue their practices.

Honestly with the existence of YouTube and Spotify it's really not that much of a problem.

It's a problem to me personally as YouTube isn't available when and where I listen to music and never will be. Spot

spitify has a few ahead of release which is chart fixing and I have no intention of ever using rented music. I support music artists in the best way. I BUY their music. If they mess me around l don't buy it.!

+Quote Post
poppet15
post Aug 12 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(*Tim @ Aug 11 2014, 02:29 PM) *
Because basicly, labels only announce a rlease date once it starts smashing around the world.
Radio's are to blame for that, as they hardly ever playlist songs that didn't smash in other places (Prime example is Icona Pop's I Love It. It didn't get playlisted in its first run, after which it got pushed back, reached the top 10 in the US and all over sudden R1 and Capital were all over it)

And I thought that the UK was supposed to be at the forefront of the music. Apart from UK & US music it seems we are at the back.

And R1 wonder why listening figures keep dropping as people can now listen to many foreign stations online.

One way to help is to release everything in UK US & mainland Europe at the same time

This post has been edited by euro music: Aug 12 2014, 01:19 PM

+Quote Post
iain
post Aug 12 2014, 03:15 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 2,478
   No Gallery Pics

Why are they so hung up on chart positions in the UK though? Problem by Ariana Grande didn't get to no 1 in the US, but it's hardly being labelled a flop.

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Aug 12 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Aug 12 2014, 12:53 PM) *
It's a problem to me personally as YouTube isn't available when and where I listen to music and never will be. Spot

spitify has a few ahead of release which is chart fixing and I have no intention of ever using rented music. I support music artists in the best way. I BUY their music. If they mess me around l don't buy it.!

Interesting terms here... Chart fixing? Rented music?

Regarding the topic, here in Finland we must sometimes wait for months to get a British album available. Gary Barlow's latest wasn't released here until this spring. And American country albums are the worst... we might never get them.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Aug 12 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #19
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(euro music @ Aug 12 2014, 02:10 PM) *
And R1 wonder why listening figures keep dropping as people can now listen to many foreign stations online.

There are many reasons R1's audience is dropping but I'm pretty sure this is not one of them.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 12 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SKOB @ Aug 12 2014, 06:10 PM) *
Interesting terms here... Chart fixing? Rented music?

Regarding the topic, here in Finland we must sometimes wait for months to get a British album available. Gary Barlow's latest wasn't released here until this spring. And American country albums are the worst... we might never get them.

I think every country has the same problem in that respect, as record companies like to have promotion behind product. The trick is not to piss off the people who buy it cos the pop biz is littered with fans turning on stars, and singling out countries to delay product is a pretty good way of pissing them off in this instant internet age.

Chart-fixing? Me being melodramatic (I often am laugh.gif ) I should have said hyping up record ahead of release to get maximum debut chart position.
Rented? well, sadly, it is rented, you don't own it, and the artists don't get nearly as much cash from it as sales according to those that have spoken up. The record companies seem to love it though, the cheques must be pretty convincing.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:44 PM