BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lee Thompson examines how On Air/ On Stream could change the, Official Chart - ROTD editorial
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AcerBen
post Aug 14 2014, 08:51 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
Lee Thompson (formerly Head of Music at The Box and BT Vision) has written a great article on Record of the Day, which brings up some really interesting points about music industry politics at the moment between record labels, music outlets and radio.

http://www.recordoftheday.com/news-and-pre...-official-chart

This post has been edited by AcerBen: Aug 14 2014, 08:52 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Math!
post Aug 14 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
(✿◠‿◠)
Pronouns: new york
User: 19,852
Very interesting article, indeed! 'Giant In My Head' though? Umm...

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Aug 14 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Great wee article - the second last paragraph sums it up perfectly on held back releases - 'this is crazy'!!

+Quote this post
Bradders
post Aug 16 2014, 08:54 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 693
Nowhere to be seen before release?? Both Am I Wrong and Rude were Top 30 on pre-order at the time of their release.

Why don't people research before they write an article?!

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post Aug 16 2014, 09:20 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665
QUOTE(Bradders @ Aug 16 2014, 09:54 AM) *
Nowhere to be seen before release?? Both Am I Wrong and Rude were Top 30 on pre-order at the time of their release.

I think he's saying Rude and Am I Wrong didn't have any adverts or any promotion done by iTunes, due to some rivalry between Apple and Spotify meaning iTunes gets pissed off when a song is released to Spotify early. That's what I got from the article, but it's difficult to get my head around tbh.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 16 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
interesting article. Itunes quite rightly protecting sales, so they aren't the villain, they are the victim of selfish grappling of radio and streaming services who want to carry on dictating what form the charts take through exclusives that itunes can't sell.

Radio 1's mandated role is to promote new music, especially new music that appeals to it's 18 to 30 demographic. They are failing to do that in a big way by it's continued hyping of tracks for weeks in advance, by the time they are released no-one cares enough to buy them (except for the mega hits) and this instant number 1 then drop, and unchanging lists of records just shuffling positions is hardly pushing and promoting new records. Jameela (who Ive criticised in the past) is doing the best she can with a tedious rundown, but the frustration (albeit good-natured) in her comments is blatantly obvious that everyone knows it's boring.

Radio 1 has the power to change all that, make the charts exciting again, and actually let records grow and peak naturally. More importantly, they would actually be fulfilling their mandate by letting new artists get a chance of having a chart appearance. They need to be available simultaneously on all formats. On air on sale was the music industry norm for decades, it needs to be the norm again. I'm still against streaming, I won't list again all the reasons, but the impact on the singles chart is obvious: it's slowed down the chart, reduced new entries and allowed what used to be long-running radio hits to become long-running chart-hits. I don't believe that new people are discovering these tracks, I believe it's the same people re-playing them. Research from Spotify please to prove this is not the case.....

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post Aug 16 2014, 10:39 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Aug 16 2014, 10:25 AM) *
Radio 1's mandated role is to promote new music, especially new music that appeals to it's 18 to 30 demographic. They are failing to do that in a big way by it's continued hyping of tracks for weeks in advance, by the time they are released no-one cares enough to buy them (except for the mega hits) and this instant number 1 then drop, and unchanging lists of records just shuffling positions is hardly pushing and promoting new records. Jameela (who Ive criticised in the past) is doing the best she can with a tedious rundown, but the frustration (albeit good-natured) in her comments is blatantly obvious that everyone knows it's boring.

I've said for a while that Radio 1 need to do something about the chart show (this was even before streaming was added). The chart is way too slow, and full of songs that people outside Radio 1's demographic like. They should stop playing songs like Happy now, there's literally no point, and I say this as someone who likes the song, but it's really not necessary anymore. They could play a different song instead, one that might not make the top 40 but is actually popular with the audience they're trying to target...

When Radio 1 did their count-down of the best-selling digital songs recently, nearly every single one of them was adult contemporary. Nearly every one. There were a few that weren't (e.g. Pass Out, Earthquake, What's My Name?), but for the most part, it became clear to me that you're NOT going to get a massive chart hit if you don't appeal to the over 30's, so should Radio 1 really be placing such a focus on the chart in the first place? I think there are other methods they could use to find songs to play, although I am aware that they've got major record labels sending them songs every week, so no matter what happens those'll probably make up the majority of their playlists.

+Quote this post
girl_from_oz
post Aug 16 2014, 12:08 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,540
It said Apple doesn't like airplay/streaming and doesn't promote songs which are out beforehand, but in the US this seems to happen all the time so do songs come out straight on itunes in the US same time as airplay/spotify or are there a hell of a lot of singles not promoted on itunes

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 16 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Eric_Blob @ Aug 16 2014, 11:39 AM) *
I've said for a while that Radio 1 need to do something about the chart show (this was even before streaming was added). The chart is way too slow, and full of songs that people outside Radio 1's demographic like. They should stop playing songs like Happy now, there's literally no point, and I say this as someone who likes the song, but it's really not necessary anymore. They could play a different song instead, one that might not make the top 40 but is actually popular with the audience they're trying to target...

When Radio 1 did their count-down of the best-selling digital songs recently, nearly every single one of them was adult contemporary. Nearly every one. There were a few that weren't (e.g. Pass Out, Earthquake, What's My Name?), but for the most part, it became clear to me that you're NOT going to get a massive chart hit if you don't appeal to the over 30's, so should Radio 1 really be placing such a focus on the chart in the first place? I think there are other methods they could use to find songs to play, although I am aware that they've got major record labels sending them songs every week, so no matter what happens those'll probably make up the majority of their playlists.

Radio 1 could fix the chart show in a flash by reverting back to what it used to do in the 60's and early 70's (when it was set up to be the YOUTH station): The first half of the show should be exciting newly-RELEASED big-name tracks (as in available to buy) and all records that are new entries, or reaching a new chart peak, between 21 and 75 (or 100 if there's not enough of them), the second half should be the full Top 20. Frankly, back in the day, as soon as a record had a chart run and left the 20 it didn't get played again until it was old enough to qualify as an occasional "golden oldie". This kept the charts fresh and the music scene exciting.

+Quote this post
danG
post Aug 16 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
I kinda agree with you there popchartfreak. If only the OCC would let the BBC access the whole top 100 (or at least 75), it would make the chart a more interesting listen. New entries, re-entries from years ago, and climbers would be played. So from this week's top 100 you'd have:

#90 Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling
#80 Netsky ft Beth Ditto - Running Low
#72 5 Seconds of Summer - Amnesia
#71 Slipknot - The Negative One
#69 Sam Smith - I'm Not the Only One
#68 Drake - 0 To 100 / The Catch Up
#50 Clean Bandit ft Stylo G - Come Over

Then you'd play the top 40 as normal, excluding songs that have been in the charts for the longest in the 21 - 40 section (so Let It Go, Happy, Rather Be, Hideaway, Fancy, and either two of Only Love Can Hurt Like This/I Could Never Let You Down/Wiggle/Dangerous Love)

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Aug 16 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
I don't think they should stop playing the long-runners permanently. However, they could start playing them on alternate weeks. I would assume that the BBC would be able to use the whole top 75 if they were prepared to pay enough for it.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Aug 16 2014, 05:44 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I just hate that it's so slow and the play every song when it's been there for a year and yet some flash in the pan minor hits from 10 years ago never got played because they were messing with the format. Can't change the past but poor Anastacia's last top 40 entry was never played on the chart despite getting to 21.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 16 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Therm• @ Aug 16 2014, 06:15 PM) *
I kinda agree with you there popchartfreak. If only the OCC would let the BBC access the whole top 100 (or at least 75), it would make the chart a more interesting listen. New entries, re-entries from years ago, and climbers would be played. So from this week's top 100 you'd have:

#90 Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling
#80 Netsky ft Beth Ditto - Running Low
#72 5 Seconds of Summer - Amnesia
#71 Slipknot - The Negative One
#69 Sam Smith - I'm Not the Only One
#68 Drake - 0 To 100 / The Catch Up
#50 Clean Bandit ft Stylo G - Come Over

Then you'd play the top 40 as normal, excluding songs that have been in the charts for the longest in the 21 - 40 section (so Let It Go, Happy, Rather Be, Hideaway, Fancy, and either two of Only Love Can Hurt Like This/I Could Never Let You Down/Wiggle/Dangerous Love)

I like the sound of that, and a chart line-up that includes a 1974 bit of fun, with Beth Ditto, and Slipknot, and Drake, is both varied and interesting, and dare I say it, exciting! yahoo.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:41 PM