BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Dark Places' | TBA, Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult and Chloë Grace Moretz
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Theonix
post 28th September 2014, 11:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

The second of Gillian Flynn's novels to be adapted to the big screen will be another all-star production, starring Charlize Theron as a woman whose family is massacred when she is seven and 24 years later attempts to find the truth behind the murders.

I can't find any trailers for the film anywhere and no official release dates have been given either (IMDB states a Norwegian release is stated for 14 November)... I imagine it'll be held back until next year after awards season, especially with the imminent success of Gone Girl.

I didn't find the book as enjoyable as Gone Girl, but that's mainly down to it being far more gruesome than I can handle. It's a great, tense story though that had me gripped pretty much throughout.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 19th January 2015, 03:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

I wonder when we're getting the trailer? If it's really coming out on March 20th in Sweden, as imdb claims, we should've seen something by now!

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 19th January 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675

Anything with Chloe Moretz I'll be on board with tongue.gif I bought the book a while back so hopefully I'll get to reading it before the film is out!

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 4th March 2015, 11:16 AM
Post #4
Group icon
JanWasRobbed

We finally got something, even if it's just a poster.

Premieres in Paris on March 30th and opens in France on April 8th.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 4th March 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

Charlize is my all time favourite so I am very very excited for this. Hoping for something special.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 6th March 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

We finally have a trailer now too

I love what I've read of the book (don't have too much left now) so I'm very excited for the movie but I'm disappointed at how low-key the release is looking to be after the massive success of Gone Girl. sad.gif The books themselves are a very similar standard.

+Quote this post
Theonix
post 6th March 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #7
Group icon

Aah, it looks so good! Odd how the campaign is very France-oriented at the moment, I assume it will be released here too?

+Quote this post
Theonix
post 10th March 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #8
Group icon

Okay so I met Nicholas Hoult last night in a pub (how British!) and I told him that I'm really looking forward to the film and asked when it was coming out here... He didn't know...Encouraging!

+Quote this post
jark
post 10th March 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #9
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

Theo you bloody celebrity hobnobber, I hate you.

xo.

+Quote this post
Theonix
post 10th March 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon

QUOTE(jark @ Mar 10 2015, 02:31 PM) *
Theo you bloody celebrity hobnobber, I hate you.

xo.

Come back to LDN we'll hobnob together 💚

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 19th June 2015, 02:27 AM
Post #11
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

New trailer (not seen the one above, so I dunno if it's the same yet)

Looks so good. Do you think they were holding it back to get some awards hype around it?

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 19th June 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #12
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

The clips look mostly new to me! I have no idea what's going on with the release but IMDB does have a start of August date for the USA, so hopefully that sticks and a UK release follows shortly after..

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 19th June 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon
JanWasRobbed

I didn't love the book, but I think it will make an even better film. I'm definitely seeing it. The character Chloë Grace Moretz plays is my favourite by far.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 13th November 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

"Dark Places" was released in my country four months ago! It is based on the homonymous novel by Gillian Flynn, which became globally famous with "Gone Girl". The protagonist of the film is Charlize Theron. While up and coming Hollywood stars participate in the cast such as Nicholas Hoult and Chloë Grace Moretz. I had read the plot of the movie on a movie site before I went to watch it but I had not seen the official trailer.
The main heroine of the story is Libby, who is 8, who sees her mother, along with her sisters, get murdered in their own home. Believing that a satanic sect consisting of people of the area are responsible for the massacre, Libby would testify against her brother, who is one of its members. After 28 years, Libby will review the case after the urging of a peculiar club, consisting of amateur detectives who spend their free time investigating horrendous crimes. Some members of the club are convinced that her brother is innocent and is unjustly in prison. So, Libby has to face her past and she will have to recall the events of that night who mercilessly stigmatized her. Anyone who has read the book will be waiting to see a movie with evocative atmosphere of mystery and plenty of suspense regarding the events of that fateful night. However, "Dark Places" proceeded very slowly and it did not have the tension and suspense that a story like this should have had. The interpretations of the actors were subdued while their characters were indifferent and meaningless. The director of the film is the Frenchman Gilles Paquet-Brenner, whose filmography does not show anything special, but according to his own words, "Dark Places" was the movie that he wanted to turn into a movie long ago. So, I guess that he gave it his best. However, I cannot say that I was impressed by his work, since "Dark Places" did not have anything special about its content. Let alone, the directing looked more like a TV movie than a film adaptation. Nevertheless, Charlize Theron was quite good although several readers of the novel were disappointed with her pick in this specific role. Personally, I think that a good actor can perform any role and Charlize has amply proved it over the years. Additionally, the script was well-written and there was a twist at the end, something that happened in another novel by Gillian Flynn, "Gone Girl". With the difference, however, that "Gone Girl" started very strongly but it has a disappointing finale. While "Dark Places" was very warm until the middle, but towards the end, it gained some interest.
Unfortunately, "Dark Places" was not as good as expected. I was confident that I would see a tight thriller with scary scenes, but it was a drama with strong social elements. When I watched it in July, it hadn’t been released in the USA yet. However, I was sure that it wouldn’t be successful in the Box Office. The average score that it has gathered in "IMDb" is quite modest (6.3) while it didn’t receive the best reviews by experts in the film industry. If it had more tension and suspense, it would pique my interest, but based on what I saw, it wasn’t random that at some point I fell asleep in the comfortable red armchairs of the multiplex.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 30th December 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #15
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Finally seems to have a UK release date after about a million years!

22nd January limited release

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 30th December 2015, 11:40 PM
Post #16
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

About time!!! (Just as I'd removed it from my hype chart because I'd given up hope laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 31st December 2015, 07:35 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

I enjoyed the book but not so much the movie...one of the weakest from Charlize Theron.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 21st January 2016, 01:58 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

I managed to see this tonight, wasn't expecting much given the limited release and poor reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Was very engaging and all three leads gave great performances, mostly Chloe I thought.

The twist wasn't as shocking as Gone Girl's and I saw it coming but it was an enjoyable and at times tense viewing. Baffled why they didn't promote it further given the names leading the movie and the fact it had come off the back off Gone Girl, it could've been huge here and in the US! So strange.

A solid 8/10 for me.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 8th May 2016, 11:18 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I just watched this. It was OK. I liked it, I just didn't think it translated on to screen as well as 'Gone Girl' did. I found it quite drawn out in most places, but towards the end I found it pretty griping and tense. A 6.5/10 for me. Nothing to get TOO excited about, but definitely worth a watch.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:09 AM