BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Why did Gigi D'Agostino never take off in the UK?, Huge all over Europe and Ireland, nothing here
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
BillyH
post 11th October 2014, 12:06 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

Was just listening to some millennium-era dancepop and rediscovered Gigi D'Agostino's back catalogue of hits, and bloody hell it's impressive - #1s and top 5 hits all over Europe, the tenth best-selling single of 2002 in Ireland with 'La Passion' and a Billboard Hot 100 entry for L'amour Toujours, which given how dance-unfriendly the US were then is an incredible achievement, and he regularly hit the top 20 with ease in his native Italy from 1995 to 2006.

And in the UK, the closest he ever got was a peak of #87 for 'Bla Bla Bla' at the end of 2002, three years after its initial release. Otherwise nothing. How can someone be so massive all over the continent, as close to home as Ireland and even have a minor US hit but do nothing here? Anyone who was following the charts around then know the answer?

For those who have no idea who I'm talking about, here are a few videos of some of his best tunes:

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 11th October 2014, 07:23 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Pure and simply a lack of major UK promotion/support I think.

Although I think L'amour Toujours has become a clubland classic here over the years regardless.

That song and The Riddle are wub.gif I was briefly obsessed with Bla Bla Bla in 2000 too. Didn't know it only charted here in 2002, it was on a Fresh Hits compilation back in summer 2000.

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 11th October 2014, 09:21 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275

I always loved Gigi D'Agostino, he was massive everywhere. I didn't know either why the UK ignored him so much sad.gif

+Quote this post
simonf
post 11th October 2014, 10:22 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,472

I always found it weird how it never took off. I always think la passion could have been massive here if promoted (dare I say #1 too). I think thats a case with alot of big European hits at the time. I am still surprised that daddy dj never done anything over here too.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post 11th October 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676

'L'amour toujours' wub.gif the memories!!

was absolutely huge here. so envious of all the people who were able to dance to THAT in clubs.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 10:05 AM