BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Gordon Brown to stand down as MP
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Soy Adrián
post 2nd December 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
End of an era.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 2nd December 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
or end of an error. Take your pick....

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 2nd December 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
It's almost 6 years since his best career moment (10th December 2008)

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 2nd December 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
still funny. Thinking himself a saviour when it was his job to make sure the banks didn't eff up. A bit like getting a massive payoff for being mind-numbingly bad at your job. Oh hang on.....did I dream all that happening?!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd December 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
I've said before that Labour should admit that they should have reintroduced some of the banking regulations their predecessors abolished (and also remind people who deregulated them in the first place and that Osborne had led calls for further deregulation). However, it should also be remembered that Brown acted swiftly to ensure the worldwide recession wasn't even worse than it turned out to be. It was Brown who took the lead, not any American politician.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 2nd December 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
well that's a benevolent view, I'm less charitable. Given he'd spent the bulk of his time in power sucking up to the very people who did in the economy, in the UK and worldwide, a spot of damage limitation after the event is the very least he should have done. With George Duh-b-yerr Bush in power and allowing big banks to fail someone had to step up to the mark, of course, cos he so thicky.

The irony of course is one place where they did keep controls in place, Canada, the Tories (who created the mess in the first place) have hired Mark Carney to try and do for the UK (a bit too late) what he did for Canada. Almost as if they have admitted they were wrong, without saying it. Just like Labour. The only politician of conviction to state the bleedin obvious, of course, was Vince Cable of those hated Lib Dems. The man who tried to take down Rupert Murdoch a peg. What a bast*rd! How very dare he:lol:

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 2nd December 2014, 11:45 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I liked Vince Cable, right up until the point he f**ked over Royal Mail.

+Quote this post
Danny
post 3rd December 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457
I never would've thought 5 years ago that Gordon Brown would look like the paragon of good competent government and of principled, inspiring leadership of the Labour Party, but such is the standard of his successors in both cases...

This post has been edited by Danny: 3rd December 2014, 12:07 AM

+Quote this post
Kath
post 3rd December 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Dec 2 2014, 11:45 PM) *
I liked Vince Cable, right up until the point he f**ked over Royal Mail.

I'm glad that I was one of those people who NEVER liked or trusted or believed a word that was said by Vince Cable.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 3rd December 2014, 01:28 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
Good riddance to bad smells. Hopefully he will stop sullying my county with his presence also. It makes me ill that I live within 30mins of this deluded tit faced twat.

Yes, his economic turnaround plan was working and for the UK it actually did a lot of good for the three weeks before the tories arrived to f*** it all up. That doesn't excuse the fact that the mess is largely his fault in the first place. Before Tyron the labour loon gets all shrill, I'm more than aware that the Tories laid all the groundwork and did the excavation but Brown built the house and then rammed every square foot of it with explosives and blew it to sub atomic particles. He had a decade as chancellor to undo what the Tories had done, but continued their work and further deregulated the banks.

Canada is a poor example here, it may be cliche of me but our cousins down under would be a better example to use. Their banking system was rather deregulated like ours until the Asian Financial crisis of the late 90's when shit hit the fan in a big way. So during the boom years when RBS was inventing fake money and the UK and US banks were scheming to destroy the world by lending massive mortgages to people who shouldn't even have a Tesco club card then hiding those shit loans in amongst good ones to sell on to investors, the Aussies weren't allowed to join the party in anywhere near the same way. They were heavily reigned in. It's why the Commonwealth Bank, ANZ Bank, NAB (and it's UK Subs Clydesdale & Yorkshire), Bank of Queensland, Westpac et al have sailed through the past decade without needing bailouts or nearly driving an entire country to bankruptcy.

Basically, Brown is a dick and without that dick I'd be in a separate bloody country right now Celebrating a future without Cameron and Farage. I'm now stuck with both of them, so if you'll excuse me I'm off to discover if i can throw eggs at people without falling off my crutches in practice for his next visit to his disgustingly dirty constituency.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 3rd December 2014, 01:33 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Silas @ Dec 3 2014, 01:28 AM) *
Good riddance to bad smells. Hopefully he will stop sullying my county with his presence also. It makes me ill that I live within 30mins of this deluded tit faced twat.

Yes, his economic turnaround plan was working and for the UK it actually did a lot of good for the three weeks before the tories arrived to f*** it all up. That doesn't excuse the fact that the mess is largely his fault in the first place. Before Tyron the labour loon gets all shrill, I'm more than aware that the Tories laid all the groundwork and did the excavation but Brown built the house and then rammed every square foot of it with explosives and blew it to sub atomic particles. He had a decade as chancellor to undo what the Tories had done, but continued their work and further deregulated the banks.

Canada is a poor example here, it may be cliche of me but our cousins down under would be a better example to use. Their banking system was rather deregulated like ours until the Asian Financial crisis of the late 90's when shit hit the fan in a big way. So during the boom years when RBS was inventing fake money and the UK and US banks were scheming to destroy the world by lending massive mortgages to people who shouldn't even have a Tesco club card then hiding those shit loans in amongst good ones to sell on to investors, the Aussies weren't allowed to join the party in anywhere near the same way. They were heavily reigned in. It's why the Commonwealth Bank, ANZ Bank, NAB (and it's UK Subs Clydesdale & Yorkshire), Bank of Queensland, Westpac et al have sailed through the past decade without needing bailouts or nearly driving an entire country to bankruptcy.

Basically, Brown is a dick and without that dick I'd be in a separate bloody country right now Celebrating a future without Cameron and Farage. I'm now stuck with both of them, so if you'll excuse me I'm off to discover if i can throw eggs at people without falling off my crutches in practice for his next visit to his disgustingly dirty constituency.

So you agree with Cameron and Osborne that the collapse of so many other leading economies at the same time as the UK economy was a pure coincidence?

+Quote this post
Silas
post 3rd December 2014, 02:23 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
I'm not incompetent.

Canada and Australia weathered the storm, Germany didn't do too badly either although the stagnant Eurozone is now seriously starting to hurt them. While we would have been damaged I think that Brown squandered a chance to make it a whole lot better for us. Our banks were dangerously overexposed to insane levels of risk and the continuation of the deregulation agenda lead to the toxic culture that started the mess.

The collapse of so many of the worlds economies can be traced back to the sub-prime mortgage crisis in the United States. American banks caused the credit crunch but UK banks like Northern Rock and RBS and HBOS were up to their dirty little necks in it. We had a chance to make it right and to reverse the damage decades of the tories had done yet all Brown did was further their work.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 3rd December 2014, 07:26 AM
Post #13
Group icon
I don't think Canada is such a bad example, Mark Carney has preceded over a massive asset bubble over there, this is now at least 40% bigger than the one in the USA which resulted in the sub-prime mortgage collapse in 2007, and as you say consequently a worldwide crash. It seems nobody learns from the mistakes of the past and we are doomed to repeat it, though you can't exactly lower interest rates from 0.5%... so we are quite royally screwed.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd December 2014, 09:50 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
all of the above comments are views I share re: banks and the world economy and bubbles and Gord, The Iron Chancellor. Iron gets a bit rusty when it's exposed of course....

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 3rd December 2014, 11:14 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Are we just ignoring the massive investment in public services which led to an entire generation learning in schools where the rooves didn't leak?

Oh yes, apparently so.

+Quote this post
Danny
post 3rd December 2014, 11:41 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457
QUOTE(¿ REY CARLOS ? @ Dec 3 2014, 11:14 PM) *
Are we just ignoring the massive investment in public services which led to an entire generation learning in schools where the rooves didn't leak?

Oh yes, apparently so.

Well, modestly good increases in health and education spending (though, at the risk of sounding like a rightwinger, I actually think education is one area where throwing money around doesn't really improve anything).

But a good chunk of the extra spending was "corporate welfare" - topping up people's wages because Labour were too scared to actually make employers pay decently themselves.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 4th December 2014, 12:21 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
"Throwing money around" at education is highly beneficial as long as it is spent wisely. There can be no doubt that children learn better in a classroom that doesn't have a leaking roof. Therefore, the money spent on repairing them (or building new schools) was money well spent. Tories may deny this but just try asking them whether they would want to work in an office with a leaking roof.

Labour also spent money on reducing class sizes. Again Tories like to bang on about how that makes no difference. However, at the same time, a lot of them justify sending their own children to private schools by saying they benefit from smaller class sizes.

On the last point, you are absolutely right. As I have said before, the real benefit scroungers are the companies (including highly profitable, tax-edging companies such as Amazon) who don't pay their staff a decent wage. Apart for a few exceptional circumstances, a person working full-time should be able to earn enough to support themselves and one or two dependents. We are a long way from that.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 4th December 2014, 01:03 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Absolutely, although it's a little harsh to pin the blame on the Chancellor who introduced the Minimum Wage.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 4th December 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Had the money allocated for education actually gone directly to schools and buildings and teachers and books then there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, millions went on the ever-present consultants, architects, public consultations, cash lump sum bribes to get schools to go academy/whatever until there are now lined up to be no more schools left under local authority control - and the jobs the council used to do for them are starting to pop up as requests there are no resources for anymore.

Councils used to do this sort of thing themselves as part of normal staff costs.

Sorry, that wasn't a Tory policy, that was New Labour taken to it's logical end conclusion by the current government. I am of course only speaking for the council I know, as none of them will ever publish how much money they spent before a single school had been "improved".

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 12:34 PM