BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Cake, Starring Jennifer Aniston
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JackTheeStallion
post 22nd February 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
Anyone seen this?! I won't give much away but it's so powerful. Wouldn't watch it again just because it is emotionally draining.

How Jennifer Aniston didn't get an Oscar nomination is beyond me to be honest.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 22nd February 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Really want to see this, I am glad Jennifer is getting good reviews, I think she is a great actress heart.gif

+Quote this post
post 22nd February 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Apart from Jen's performance this has had very negative reviews. I'm very interested to see it though.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 22nd February 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Bit of a mixed opinion on this. Jennifer was good but I didn't find her performance amazingly stand-out so I'm not really shocked that she wasn't recognised.

I didn't know what to feel for the characters, whether we were meant to care for Claire, I get that her son died but there was something about her, didn't really feel an attachment. I love Anna Kendrick but all of her scenes were a bit weird.

The Spanish with subtitles added a bit of humour and I did really like the note it ended on, nice bit of closure.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 13th June 2015, 01:33 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Cake" is an American independent production which was released in my country over two months ago. Starring the original Greek actress, Jennifer Aniston, which was nominated for her performance by the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild Awards. Having seen the official trailer a few months ago, I was absolutely sure that Aniston would make a difference with this movie. Indeed, this happened after she received the best reviews for her acting!
Claire Bennett suffers from chronic pain and depression, after a car accident that killed her son and leaving scars on her face. Participating in a psychological support team, she will decide to know more about the life of a young woman who committed suicide recently. Jennifer Aniston is excellent in her role and I couldn’t help but wonder why she was not nominated by the Academy of Oscars. She gave a very special and moving interpretation which stands out from the other roles of her career. Hollywood shouldn’t choose her only in comedies, because it seems that this woman can play everything! Don’t forget that the same happened with Sandra Bullock for her performance in "Blind Side" six years ago. The rest of the cast consists of famous actors and I’ve picked out the interpretation of Mexican actress Andiana Barraza who along with Aniston was the best female duo of the last year. The director Daniel Barnz has done a pretty good job and the screenwriter Patrick Tobin wrote the original story. It’s a rare phenomenon nowadays. "Cake" had also elaborate montage, beautiful photography and cynical/smart dialogues. The role of Claire Bennett was quite caustic and I’m sure that many people would love this specific character. Also the director made sure to enrich the film with bright images so as not to create an unbearable situation for the viewer’s eye and the evolution of the movie had some pleasant moments despite being a predominantly dramatic story.
"Cake" is not one of those movies that sold many tickets to the cinema. However, it is one of those movies which leave a bittersweet feeling to the audience when it finishes and you cannot forget them very easily. Having seen many films this past year, "Cake" is definitely one of my favorites and I think that the protagonist of the movie was totally robbed by the Committee of Oscar. I hope that Jennifer Aniston will give us many relevant performances in the near future!

+Quote this post
Regina
post 20th July 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Just got round to this, it was okay. Really not seeing all the fuss with Jennifer's performance though, I do like her but I wasn't blown away. A good performance
from an otherwise average actress.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 09:32 AM