Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One Direction - Drag Me Down
BuzzJack Music Forum > Artist Forums > View All Artists > One Direction and Solo
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JosephAvery
I thought we should have a thread for this as it's approaching the time where we'll get the first single from the new album biggrin.gif Liam has confirmed that the new single will be performed on the UK leg of the On the Road Again Tour, meaning we should have it by the 24th September when the UK leg kicks off at the O2 Arena! (didn't realise the night I was going was the first night kink.gif)

What are we expecting from the boys' first single without Zayn? What do you WANT from it? How will it do chartwise? Discuss anything and everything for this single here!
AdamAloud
There's a little part of me that wants this to be a total disaster x

Whatever it is, let's all just hope Louis hasn't taken over the role of adlibs manson.gif
Maurice!
Judging from interviews from the last week it all will be a bit rockier (fleetwood Mac-ish) and they wrote the songs knowing that Zayn isn't there for adlibs but if you watch vines from the concert you can see that Niall can hit those high notes too.
Jay ☆
QUOTE(Maurice Horan @ Jun 26 2015, 03:04 PM) *
Judging from interviews from the last week it all will be a bit rockier (fleetwood Mac-ish) and they wrote the songs knowing that Zayn isn't there for adlibs but if you watch vines from the concert you can see that Niall can hit those high notes too.

*.* I'm here for that! Plus more Stockholm Syndrome vibes~
Rafael x
new soml coming soon
Maurice!
Liam said at yesterday's OTRA concert that they already choosed the first single of the 5th album.
Maurice!
They released a single out of nowhere today!! And it's called Drag Me Down
dannjohn
I can't believe THEY went with a secret release.
Maurice!
Omg it's so different but good different! It's bloody amazing!
Maurice!
single artwork:
JosephAvery
I'm listening to this and !!!!!!!!!!!!! at how good it is! I was NOT expecting this from them but it's so good and I've not even finished listening lol. Niall's chorus heart.gif
Cremey
Loving this!
JosephAvery
Drag Me Down
#1 United States
#1 United Kingdom
#1 Argentina
#1 Armenia
#1 Australia
#1 Austria
#1 Azerbaijan
#1 Bahrain
#1 Belgium
#1 Brazil
#1 Brunei Darussalam
#1 Bulgaria
#1 Canada
#1 Chile
#1 Colombia
#1 Costa Rica
#1 Cyprus
#1 Czech Republic
#1 Denmark
#1 Dominican Republic
#1 Ecuador
#1 El Salvador
#1 Estonia
#1 Finland
#1 France
#1 Greece
#1 Guatemala
#1 Honduras
#1 Hungary
#1 Indonesia
#1 Ireland
#1 Israel
#1 Italy
#1 Kazakhstan
#1 Latvia
#1 Lebanon
#1 Malaysia
#1 Malta
#1 Mexico
#1 Netherlands
#1 New Zealand
#1 Norway
#1 Paraguay
#1 Peru
#1 Philippines
#1 Poland
#1 Portugal
#1 Romania
#1 Saudi Arabia
#1 Singapore
#1 Slovakia
#1 Slovenia
#1 Spain
#1 Sweden
#1 United Arab Emirates
#2 Luxembourg
#2 Qatar
#2 South Africa
#2 Thailand
#3 Germany
#3 Switzerland
#3 Ukraine
#4 Belarus
#4 Cambodia
#4 Hong Kong
#4 Jordan
#5 India
#5 Sri Lanka
#5 Turkey
#6 Antigua and Barbuda
#7 Russia
#11 Nicaragua
#11 Panama
#14 Japan
#33 Bolivia
#60 Trinidad and Tobago
#75 Botswana
#78 Mauritius
#80 Kenya
#80 Oman
#139 Taiwan
#174 Lithuania
#196 Nigeria

Wow ohmy.gif Amazing progress already!
Maurice!
I can't believe how much progress they made even after Four.
Tawdry Hepburn
Hmmm... it's okay. Maybe it'll grow.
dannjohn
Its deffo better than SMG. Not a patch on BSE, LWWY or WMYB.
AdamAloud
Beyoncé-ing the single ohmy.gif

On first listen, I'm not LOVING IT like their previous lead singles. A few more listens is required I think.
Calum
This is atrocious compared to their previous lead singles. Really hoping this will grow, but at the moment there's just... nothing there at all.

Rafael x
#1 in 81 countries!

It's already out in the Uk or pre-orders?
Josh!
Oooo, something new! I like this and glad to see it having a massive lead like that here already, doesn't have the same spark WMYB or Steal My Girl have for me though, YET.
JosephAvery
QUOTE(Rafael x @ Jul 31 2015, 04:41 PM) *
#1 in 81 countries!

It's already out in the Uk or pre-orders?

It's out now! biggrin.gif
Rooney
I really like it, admittedly it took a while. I don't think it's as strong and catchy as some of their others, but I don't know .. it just feels like them? That's the best part.

It's guitar based pop music, and it's quite funky. But it's painfully obvious the parts Zayn would have sung.
Cameron
The chorus to this is incredibly weak, it lacks oomph sad.gif now a bad song though!
Jonjo
It's 'ight. Better than 'Steal My Girl' (which isn't "bad" per se) as far as lead singles go... but that's all really. A nice effort, but I doubt I'll be wanting to listen to it out of choice much, if at all.
AdamAloud
Listened to this 3 times now and I can't remember how it goes at all. I can't believe this will probably get #1 when 'Best Song Ever', 'Story Of My Life' and 'Steal My Girl' couldn't.
JosephAvery
I'll admit that it's not very catchy but I really do love it, way more than I did with Steal My Girl at this stage at least!
Rafael x
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jul 31 2015, 04:08 PM) *
It's out now! biggrin.gif

Released: 07 August 2015 https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/drag-me-d...le/id1024077714

I was confused, but thanks xx
JosephAvery
Looks to me like it was scheduled for last week but has been brought forward! I wonder if the Zayn news prompted it? ohmy.gif
Rooney
It's not really the lead single as such though is it? More the first single, wouldn't be surprised if we heard two more songs before the album comes out.. tho suppose it depends how well this does.

Gotta admit I never thought they would do a surprise release, the cynic in me wonders if this is all because of the Zayn coverage this week!
Rooney
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jul 31 2015, 08:43 PM) *
Looks to me like it was scheduled for last week but has been brought forward! I wonder if the Zayn news prompted it? ohmy.gif

Snap! (see above)

It's either that, or they didn't want to cross too much with the Bieber release that's upcoming.
JosephAvery
QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 31 2015, 08:45 PM) *
Snap! (see above)

It's either that, or they didn't want to cross too much with the Bieber release that's upcoming.

Quite possibly! Either way it's worked wonders for them, never expected them to get such a huge lead on UK iTunes (even if it's dropping now). Such a huge lead might end up securing them the #1.

I guess whether it's the lead single or not depends on your definition of it heehee.gif Personally I would call it the lead single as the first single of the campaign, but some may use it for the single directly before the album (so Story of My Life for Midnight Memories, for example). You're right though, I'm sure we'll get at least one more single and possibly some instant grats before the album release too.
Rafael x
‘Drag Me Down’ is written by Jamie Scott, John Ryan and Julian Bunetta, and produced by Ryan and Bunetta

Billboard review: 3,5/5
Jay ☆
I'm loving this! heart.gif It's certainly not as instant as a lot of their previous singles, for me it took about 4 plays before it hit me. It is very The Police/Sting, and I love that vibe (a little hint of reggae). I'd be thrilled if the fifth album was totally inspired by that sound / Fleetwood Mac etc.

Apologies to Calum & Adam in advance for what I'm about to write (I'm so glad you've both done your Buzzrates already angel.gif )... but I honestly don't notice Zayn's absence in this song, vocally speaking. The remaining 4 are bringing it!

I am inclined to agree that this rush release is a knee jerk reaction to Zayn signing a solo deal / claiming he'll now be doing "real music". It's just too much of a coincidence that 1D release their brand new single the day after, surely? ohmy.gif Plus as mentioned, the release date on iTunes says 7th August. I know this is purely speculation, but I reckon if they'd kept to that release date then they would have at least done some teasing on Twitter / hyped up the single prior to releasing it. "Beyoncé-ing" it out of nowhere has proved to be a great decision though. They're certainly going to silence anyone who reckoned they would fare less well with a member leaving.
Maurice!
They just performed it live for the 1st time at their concert in Indianapolis.
Hurricane
I actually think the song is quite decent. One of their best in the few recent years.

I am not really getting the 'it sounds like a demo' comments, although I wouldn't exactly praise the production either. It just isn't a problem at all in my opinion? Oh well.

As always, I feel weird listening to Louis. He doesn't sound bad per say, nor is he off-key or whatever...but it just sounds...off still. unsure.gif
Maurice!

Drag me Down live and lol at 0:35
Stray Cody
This just gives me 80's Rock teas ALL OVER. Sure it feels kinda hollow without Zayn, but it actually sounds like an actual band. Dunno where to rank this as lead singles go... I'll get back to you on that one.

LIAM'S VOICE ALONE THO wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
troylovesmusic
They sound a little weird without Zayn maybe it will take some getting use to but it's quite obvious what parts of this song he would have sung .
RobBob
Okay, so I've just heard this on Capital TV and it's really weak? I wouldn't really describe any of their other efforts this way even ones that I dislike more but it just sounds so under cooked. Reminds me of Chains by Nick Jonas but with more of a 1D flavour put into it but it's just not a strong song to these ears. Strange first single but it goes without saying that the fans will eat anything up that they put out.

As much as I liked Zayn, and still do, I can't say this song is weak without him, it'd be as weak with him but it's all so... not there?
AdamAloud
I would like it more if the chorus was better. It builds and I'm perched for greatness and it just never comes.

I will say this though, Niall has been under-used on the past albums.
RobBob
I think that's precisely it, the chorus is so limp that the whole song sounds like it's still in demo stage because of it. For a band who I've always found to have somewhat of a niche in "stadium anthemic" kind of pop tracks, this is a really odd single choice.
Rafael x
Daily US Radio Updates - Pop

39 NEW ONE DIRECTION Drag Me Down
1331 Spins
11.438 Audience
Rafael x
iTunes USA

1 One Direction - Drag Me Down 1.0000 *31 hours at #1*
2 The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face 0.2043

80%
JosephAvery
Its US iTunes success is brilliant! It's slipping in the UK now but #2 is still at ~36% of them. It should manage top 5 at least next Friday I think.
Rafael x
MEDIABASE CHARTS: Top 40/Mainstream
ONE DIRECTION - Drag Me Down
+Stations: 69
+Spins: 1095
Maurice!
QUOTE(AdamAloud @ Aug 1 2015, 02:49 PM) *
I will say this though, Niall has been under-used on the past albums.

This is so true and i'm not saying this as a Niall stan but his voice has grown so much. I know because his knee operation he couldn't work on the Four album as much as he wanted but damn that guy has a brilliant voice.
JosephAvery
I've always thought Niall's been quite underused actually, his voice is pretty damn good and the fact he's mostly had the same amount of solos as Louis is quite embarrassing. Nothing against Louis of course but his voice is by FAR the weakest.
Jonjo
I'm really getting used to this. It's getting better with more listens. I get what Robot is saying with his 'Chains' comparison but I'd say it's that with a strange remix of 'Pony' by Ginuwine (bizarrely so)
Jay ☆
NOBODEH NOBODEH
Rafael x
MEDIABASE: ONE DIRECTION - Drag Me Down: 11.904 (DEBUT)

SLAY!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.