BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Joy, Lawrence, Cooper & O. Russell
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Jul 22 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Already appearing in Buzzhype charts~ Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper and director David O. Russell are together again.

Can't say I was huge on Silver Linings Playbook or American Hustle (save for Jen), but this looks good from the teaser so I have hope that it may be better than both of them and Jennifer coming for another Oscar nod.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jul 22 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Absolutely love the trailer, it feels like Jennifer is going to be amazing in this wub.gif

+Quote this post
jakewild
post Aug 20 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #3
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790
love the weird mix of the movie title, drama drama in the trailer and the Xmas bells

Gimme gimme

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 4 2016, 04:54 PM
Post #4
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
QUOTE(J▲hq @ Jul 22 2015, 08:55 PM) *
Can't say I was huge on Silver Linings Playbook or American Hustle (save for Jen), but this looks good from the teaser so I have hope that it may be better than both of them

And it was

Jennifer was great as usual, it felt a bit kooky at times but I enjoyed it overall. Susan Lucci was a highlight just via the TV show laugh.gif And it reminded me of my love for TV shopping channels when I was younger kink.gif A touch of humour, I liked the wedding scene, the one where she was trying to promote the mop outside a store and the one of her on QVC.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 4 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Absolutely adored this heart.gif I loved Silver Linings Playbook and this certainly lived up to that! Cast is excellent, especially Lawrence, and I wish this was getting more love Oscar Season. Will probably do bigger review later smile.gif

10/10

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post Jan 4 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #6
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830
QUOTE(J▲hq @ Jan 4 2016, 04:54 PM) *
And it was

Jennifer was great as usual, it felt a bit kooky at times but I enjoyed it overall. Susan Lucci was a highlight just via the TV show laugh.gif And it reminded me of my love for TV shopping channels when I was younger kink.gif A touch of humour, I liked the wedding scene, the one where she was trying to promote the mop outside a store and the one of her on QVC.

Absolutely of the same opinion as you Jack!

I loved this film, considering it's being labelled as a 'comedy drama', I found the lack of laughs in the cinema a bit disappointing. I actually found some parts SO FUNNY and Jennifer's acting in this was the best I've seen from her yet!

+Quote this post
post Jan 4 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I really enjoyed this. Yes, it was a bit contrived, and everything fell into place in a bit too much of a neat-package Hollywood kind of way, which made it feel somewhat implausible. But still, I don't care that much about the negatives because it was a well acted, interesting feel good story. I HATED the sister, and omg that the sister and dad tried suing her at the end.

I much preferred it to American Hustle, which I didn't quite 'get' as a film. It reminded me of Erin Brocovich.

Yeah, it's not really a comedy apart from the odd laugh. But the same goes for The Martian, which has a cooky, witty script but is still a action/sci-fi/thriller/drama film first and foremost! I find it so odd that that's been nominated for 'best comedy or musical'.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Jan 5 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
I really liked this, perfect uplifting film and Jennifer Lawrence is amazing as always. Her and Bradley Cooper have such great chemistry together too.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jan 5 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #9
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
In terms of the trio of David O. Russell movies with this cast I would place this above American Hustle but below SLP. This really surprised me in how entertaining it was and now I want to go and see it again!

Jennifer was really, really fantastic in this. The QVC scene where she starts getting loads of calls just put a huge uncontrollable smile on my face because you rooting for her so much. The end scene with her strutting down the street after finding that legal loophole with her new short hair and dark shades on was excellently shot and so satisfying too. Bradley Cooper's parts were some of the best scenes in it too, a real testament as to how he can make something already good into something even better.

This may well be my favourite drama of awards season now beating Carol and Brooklyn. Blanchett still has my favourite performance though.

In terms of awards makes me a bit sad that one of Vikander, Lawrence, Larson, Mara, Blanchett or Ronan may have to miss out on even a best lead nomination come January 14th sad.gif

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Sep 1 2016, 08:34 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Joy" is a dramatic comedy that was released in my country's cinemas on Christmas Eve! The film's director David O. Russell worked with Jennifer Lawrence for a third time, after "Silver Linings Book" and "American Hustle". "Joy" received two nominations at the Golden Globes, Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy and Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical. Besides, it was nominated in the Best Actress category by the Academy Awards. Having watched several films from the filmography of David O. Russell such as Three Kings, I Heart Huckabees, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, I concluded that this director is considered quite overestimated by committees of various film awards because each work is always ranged at the same level. However, after "Joy", it radically changed my view on him and maybe eventually I had misunderstood him. No offence David.
"Joy" is inspired by the life of self-made entrepreneur Joy Mangano which managed to become a multimillionaire in the 90s with her practical inventions! The film shows almost all aspects of her life such as family, separation, successes, failures etc. and follows the heroine to conquer her American Dream. David O Russell did not only limit himself to the directorial piece of the film but he also wrote the script. He did a great job in which it kept us on a steady interest from beginning to end. "Joy" balances between drama and comedy and the story spreads too many messages to viewers. It had remarkable directing, well-written script and beautiful photography. Despite this, I believe that the exceptional presence of Jennifer Lawrence was the highlight of the film! She literally owned this role and her interpretation is certainly one of the best in recent years! The truth is that I felt disappointed with her in the last Hunger Games film but with "Joy", she gained me again. The remaining performances were good although I distinguished that of Isabella Rossellini.
"Joy" was the first movie that I saw on the big screen for this year and I was very enthusiastic about it. The same happened with the greek film"Little England" two years ago. I think "Joy" is a film that should be shown in every sales seminar and the successful career of Mangano should be standard for any professional. "Joy" received mixed reviews worldwide and most of them notably focus on the unique interpretation of Lawrence. Personally I liked it very much because I found the story fascinating and I will highly recommend to anyone!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:15 PM