BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Room
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Sep 9 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #1
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Based on a book inspired by the Josef Fritzl case, "Room" tells the story of a mother and five-year-old son being held captive, where the son, Jack, has never known anything else.

Trailer might give too much away but Brie Larson (the sister in "Trainwreck") is getting a lot of praise for her performance and could have a shot when it comes to Awards season.

Looks very interesting and emotive to me, I'm excited!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Jan 12 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,931

I need to bump this because it's phenomenal in every aspect. When I first saw it it had no other critical reviews, so it was good to go in blind, but I was so moved as well as being traumatised in other places. It's also wonderfully shot and the two leads are OUTSTANDING.

Brie Larson fully deserves all her praise, I've loved her for ages (let's not forget she also gave an emotional performance in Trainwreck) and this film just cements her as one of my favourite modern actresses.

Nine year-old Tremblay gives one of the best child performances ever put on screen, utterly convincing as his world is cracked open.

This is from Empire's review and I could not have put it better.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Jan 12 2016, 10:30 AM
Post #3
c:
Member No.: 20,692

This was utterly fantastic as Joe says, my personal favourite drama of the year but still not seen all of the contenders. I still prefer the book because it has a greater essence of time (like in this the power is cut off, they chat for about two minutes and then it's back but in the book they had to eat slimy cheese from the fridge for days etc.) and there was more of Jack's cuteness humour but there were plenty of light and funny moments in the film too. There were a few bits missed (shopping mall with the uncle was one of my faves in the book), and a few bits added but that's what you expect and Emma coming back for the screenplay still kept all the feeling from the book.

Jacob Tremblay totally held his own despite being so young and it's not really fair he's not getting any big nominations for his part. Brie Larson was fantastic too, you could feel her emotion in every scene, I mentioned the TV interview in the other thread which felt like watching a real life documentary. All the supporting charactera were good too, especially Leo and Joy's Mum, her Dad was really good in the emotional scenes too. All in all a really touching portrayal of a book I really love.

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Jan 12 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,471
   No Gallery Pics

Absolutely loved this. It's a wonderful movie.

The two main performances were just outstanding, but the whole cast added something. They got everything right, from the tone to the pacing and the direction.

Definitely in my top 5 from last year, and a contender for number 1.

+Quote Post
post Jan 12 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend

I know there is mediocre about, but I really do urge you all to make the trip to the cinema - it's such a beautiful part and is with the cinema trip!

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 12 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #6
It's a cruel summer.
Member No.: 20,947

Hopefully seeing this on Sunday, so excited and hope Brie lives up to expectations heart.gif

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jan 15 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #7
my anxiety attacks
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Sep 9 2015, 08:15 PM) *
Trailer might give too much away but Brie Larson (the sister in "Trainwreck") is getting a lot of praise for her performance and could have a shot when it comes to Awards season.

Lol at this former modesty.

Some of the differences from the book did annoy me a bit / taint it a bit for me, mostly not even mentioning that she has a brother who has his own kid :S (though "Brooklyn" does the same - helps to read the book after laugh.gif). I also noticed how the whole breastfeeding thing was a lot more subtle tongue.gif As Josh mentioned and this was my main worry, some of the 'humour' from the book isn't really put across in the movie due to it being inside Jack's head.

The performances were outstanding, the scenes where they were shouting at each other were a bit uncomfortable. It really is incredible for a 9 year old.

Still a 9/10 for me, may have loved it a bit more if I hadn't read the book (but I loved the book so it's not like I regret that!) but as I've said to Joe, I preferred "Brooklyn" and "The Danish Girl".

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 15 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #8
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Going to see this over the weekend. Looking forward to it.

+Quote Post
p a v
post Jan 15 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #9
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

Favourite of 2015 for me. Just perfect in every way.

+Quote Post
post Jan 16 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend

Watched it again again today, and knowing what happened made some of the awfully tense parts less tense but I was able to allow drama to take over, and I found it far more emotional than the first time. It really is a wonderful film with so many unexpected layers. I'm going to read the book now I think.

Still stunned that Jacob hasn't had more nominations for his performance. He actually carries the film, he has more screen time than Brie and conveys so much with just his face.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Jan 16 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #11
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

Read the book myself, might take a butchers at this at some point.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 17 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #12

Not long got back from seeing this and I'm incredibly happy that it managed to live up to the hype I'd seen for it. It was emotional, tense and indeed wonderful. It was such an emotional rollercoaster and everything was just, on point. Jacob Tremblay was a revelation. Such a talented actor at an incredibly young age! So much realism, emotion and such a powerful and raw performance from him. It's astounding just how he wasn't given any sort of recognition in the awards. I don't get that. One of the finest performances, not only by a young, child actor, but actor in general. I thought he was stronger than Brie (who was fantastic too).

It dragged ever so slightly once they'd escaped the room, but not off puttingly so.

The scene that got to me the most was at the very end when he started saying "bye" to all the objects and furniture in the room! That scene in particular stuck out to me. Perfectly executed.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 17 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #13
It's a cruel summer.
Member No.: 20,947

Incredible, Larson and Trembley are revelations heart.gif

10/10 (will post a longer review when I don't feel ill + tired!)

+Quote Post
post Jan 18 2016, 10:17 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend

<3 THIS IS ADORABLE

+Quote Post
p a v
post Feb 29 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #15
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

Let's all appreciate this and Brie again plz. She's amazing. I also watched short term 12 the other day and she was fantastic in it as well. She was born to do dramatic roles! Ahhhhhhh <3

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 29 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #16
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

This was my favourite of the Best Picture nominees, absolutely beautiful film, perfectly acted (by both Brie and Jacob) and a really great concept that spread throughout the film. I was impressed that the film didn't slow down or loosen the stakes even after they got out of the room (that scene where Jack had to run from the truck was such a heart-in-mouth moment. Shame it didn't win Best Picture and Jacob didn't get a nod for Supporting Actor, but it got something.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post May 23 2016, 11:42 PM
Post #17

Just rewatched this and I'm proud to say that it hits just as much on another viewing as it did the first viewing. Brie's performance also stuck out a LOT more for me (even though she's always been fantastic in it).

Probably my absolute favourite film of the year so far. But I can't quite decide on that 100% atm.

+Quote Post
Insomnio
post Oct 19 2016, 09:09 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"Room" is a drama that was released in the cinemas of my country in the beginning of February. "Room" is based on the homonymous novel by Emma Donoghue, which became a best seller in 2010! The film received rave reviews all over the world and it was nominated for four Golden Statuettes, including Best Film, Best Director, Best Actress and Best Adapted Screenplay! Reading a few lines about the film, I knew in advance that I would love this film. Indeed, this happened because "Room" was an incredibly moving film!
The central characters of the story is Jack, a five year old boy, and his mom living in a 10 sq m/ft room. Jack has created an entire universe in this small space and mom deals with him all day. However, one day, his mom will make the decision to explain the real reason they are there and so, she will devise a plan to escape to the outside world. "Room" is based on a story that is full of emotions. It essentially emphasizes on the bonding between mother and child and it is presented in such an unprecedented way that it will touch everyone whether he/she has children or not. The director of the film, Lenny Abrahamson, did an excellent job and the writer of the novel, Emma Donoghue, also undertook the writing of the film's script. It seems that these two had absolute professional chemistry judging from the result. The protagonist of the film, Brie Larson, was shattering and she really deserved to win the coveted Oscar Award. She may not have special filmography to her credit but her interpretation in "Room" will give her a big boost in the near future. Moreover, the little Jacob Tremblay was tremendously talented since he gave a ground-breaking performance in an role that required great care and a lot of work. Along with Brie Larson were an unbeatable duo and there is no way not to love them watching them on the big screen. "Room" had imaginative directing, well-written script, great photography and beautiful soundtrak. Honestly, I can not find a disadvantage in this movie.
"Room" is undoubtedly one of the best films I've seen in my life! The overall result is amazing and there is no way it will not elicit from you deep emotions with its shocking plot. It puzzled me enough in the end and it made me think a lot about many things until that moment I had not thought before. It is a movie worth seeing and I'm sure that it will become a classic over the years. 11/10

+Quote Post
Regina
post Oct 19 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #19
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(Insomnio @ Oct 19 2016, 10:09 AM) *
"Room" is a drama that was released in the cinemas of my country in the beginning of February. "Room" is based on the homonymous novel by Emma Donoghue, which became a best seller in 2010! The film received rave reviews all over the world and it was nominated for four Golden Statuettes, including Best Film, Best Director, Best Actress and Best Adapted Screenplay! Reading a few lines about the film, I knew in advance that I would love this film. Indeed, this happened because "Room" was an incredibly moving film!
The central characters of the story is Jack, a five year old boy, and his mom living in a 10 sq m/ft room. Jack has created an entire universe in this small space and mom deals with him all day. However, one day, his mom will make the decision to explain the real reason they are there and so, she will devise a plan to escape to the outside world. "Room" is based on a story that is full of emotions. It essentially emphasizes on the bonding between mother and child and it is presented in such an unprecedented way that it will touch everyone whether he/she has children or not. The director of the film, Lenny Abrahamson, did an excellent job and the writer of the novel, Emma Donoghue, also undertook the writing of the film's script. It seems that these two had absolute professional chemistry judging from the result. The protagonist of the film, Brie Larson, was shattering and she really deserved to win the coveted Oscar Award. She may not have special filmography to her credit but her interpretation in "Room" will give her a big boost in the near future. Moreover, the little Jacob Tremblay was tremendously talented since he gave a ground-breaking performance in an role that required great care and a lot of work. Along with Brie Larson were an unbeatable duo and there is no way not to love them watching them on the big screen. "Room" had imaginative directing, well-written script, great photography and beautiful soundtrak. Honestly, I can not find a disadvantage in this movie.
"Room" is undoubtedly one of the best films I've seen in my life! The overall result is amazing and there is no way it will not elicit from you deep emotions with its shocking plot. It puzzled me enough in the end and it made me think a lot about many things until that moment I had not thought before. It is a movie worth seeing and I'm sure that it will become a classic over the years. 11/10

Don't you say that about most films though?

+Quote Post
The-BrightPlaces
post Oct 19 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #20
I wanna contribute to the chaos
Member No.: 23,513
   No Gallery Pics

'Room' had been my favourite book for years and just as I was beginning to forget about it they brought out the film! I was a bit wary it wouldn't live up to the book but I think they did a really great job! Brie was also amazing so kudos to her!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:53 PM