BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Love Revolution Tour 2015
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
truly talented
post Oct 16 2015, 01:13 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 140
   No Gallery Pics

Thought I'd start a new thread for tour related articles and reviews. Only 2 weeks till York! Can't wait. yahoo.gif dance.gif

Thanks to Abbie and Diz for this article in the Liverpool Echo.

Will Young on Jeremy Corbyn, playing Liverpool and why he's turning into Felicity Kendal

“I’m like Felicity Kendal from the Good Life,” giggles Will Young.

It’s an unusual analogy, but he’s explaining how he’s taking a bit more time out these days.

“I’m currently in the process of cooking all the apples I got from the village orchard,” he says.

“There are some lovely windfalls. There’s a place near me where you can take them to be juiced. I’ve been picking blackberries too, so I’ll make a pie. When the tour starts they’ll be dragging me away from my Aga.”

Drag him they may have to, because he’s playing the Empire this month.

“I’m getting excited about it now,” he says. “There’s something special planned for the opening, something a but theatrical. I like shows where there’s a bit of magic, you want people to feel they’ve been part of something.

“I’m very lucky with my audiences. they really are fabulous, particularly in Liverpool. I love it when they shout things out and I can have a chat with them. Every show is different because every audience is different. I’d hate it to turn into one of those shows where they are reading the same old things off a card every night, where they go ‘hello (insert name of city here)!’. It feels like going through the motions and I would never want to do that.

“Liverpool is second on the tour so you’ll get me when I’m still fresh - by the end I’ll be dragging myself onstage, but I’m still determined that every night is different, so if people come to more than one they get something new.”

It’s been a while since we’ve seen a Will Young gig in town - the last time we saw him was in Cabaret, again at The Empire.

It was during his break from music, when he felt he needed a break from music. He followed up previous acting roles in films and TV with a critically acclaimed performance as The Emcee in Cabaret, getting himself an Olivier Award nomination along the way.

“I loved Cabaret,” he enthuses. “It was one of my favourite shows anyway, so to be in it was a dream. But I particularly loved how political it was, the way it drew out all the historical elements from that time.”

As a politics graduate Will has always had an interest in current affairs.

“I find myself getting really cross with politicians,” he says. “I feel more and more determined to fight injustice.

“I was looking back at my family history and I found out that my great great grandfather, also called William Young, was involved in freeing slaves. It was quite emotional looking back. I felt very proud, even though we never met.

“Some of the politicians don’t seem to care about anything.

“I like Jeremy Corbyn. I admire the fact he didn’t sing the national anthem because he’s not a monarchist. He’s honest, and that’s more than a lot of them can say.

“I don’t know how he’ll manage to unite the party, there seems to be a lot of discipline involved, but it’s refreshing to see someone stand up for what they believe in. I wish we had more like that.”

As well as politics, Will has shown there are plenty of strings to his bow.

He presented an ITV documentary on surrealist artist Magritte, blogged for the likes of Huffington Post, wrote a best-selling biography and fronted a campaign for Stonewall. Oh and he also started teaching and mentoring other singer-songwriters.

All that, and then he started writing songs again, fuelled by a move to a new label (Island Records) and a more relaxed outlook. He created 85% Proof, his latest album, produced by previous collaborator Jim Eliot (Mikky Ekko, Ellie Goulding), inspired in part by his role in Cabaret.

“The whole show and way of performing kind of embodies how I see life. It’s subversive, comedic, political, a comment on society, great fun, full of amazing music, entertaining,” he explains. “So a song like Thank You is about not being afraid to say stand up to someone. It’s okay to be angry. Sometimes you’ve just got to say, ‘F*** off you dumped me, you don’t like this, you gave me a parking ticket’.

“Screw all this zen buddhist stuff.

“When I’m doing a role I have to find all those elements in my own life. Songs also allow me to do that. I’ve got to be an adult but there might be times when I’m so p***** off that I want to have a tantrum. It’s more acceptable to do that in songs.”

Writing his biography, Funny Peculiar, also had an influence on him.

“What it did was really spark my love of writing again,” he says. “I felt like I’d found my voice again, just as a person. The stuff I’d been writing for the Huffington Post got me thinking about the wider picture. My job can be very all-consuming and very about me, but I started to think ‘well what’s this all about?’”

As well as starting to take more of an interest in the political world via his blogs, it also helped him shift his songwriting focus outwards as well.

“This is a way more inclusive record; less introverted and more ‘this is life, this is what happens’,” he says. “A lot of my other records have been a bit ‘poor me’ and I’m not in that place so it wasn’t really inspiring me.

“I slightly missed that time of being a teenager and doing whatever the hell you wanted, and I thought it had kind of gone, but I’m completely back at that place now. You don’t really care that much.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
munchkin
post Oct 16 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 127
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks TT. His promo pix are really really nice this time round. As you know I like hairy Will wub.gif

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 18 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Yes they are munchkin. The first here is one of my favourites. wub.gif

Will Young to sing at Venue Cymru, Llandudno

The singer is back with his new album 85% Proof

Watching rugby, writing books, celebrating a hit album and preparing for an UK tour means Will Young is incredibly busy these days he says

He bounced back this year with the hugely impressive 85% Proof album which climbed straight to the top of the charts.
It features a combination of breezy pop, alongside some of the more thoughtful and startling material he’s ever produced. Joy, released as a single, is definitely from the former category, but that’s to be expected for a song that’s aimed at being playlisted on Radio 2 and he sang it on BBC1’s Strictly Come Dancing results show on Sunday.

He said: “I’m thinking about taking my own phone mast with me on tour so I always have a signal,” he joked.

Will will be at Venue Cymru , Llandudno on November 21 and is looking forward to visiting North Wales again.

“It is so beautiful. I remember driving up through mid Wales on a beautiful day and the scenery is so fantastic,” he said.

85% Proof is Will’s first album release in four years after taking time out to concentrate on acting and writing. I asked him if it was easy to come back to music.

He said: “I wanted to start writing again, but I didn’t do anything for two years. I was changing label and all that stuff was going on but I didn’t want to write.

“I’d had a really hard time so I had stuff to work on and I was like there’s no point in me coming back if I’m not happy, it’s just counter-productive.

“It was easy in the end because I just slowly started wanting to write again and then literally in 10 days we wrote the album.

“It is nerve wracking coming back and that’s why that number one meant the most to me because I know how hard it is. Particularly after a break people forget you very quickly.

“I had people go ‘Oh are you still doing music?’ That’s a good reminder.”

Will burst onto the music scene in 2001 when he won Pop Idol and is looking forward to Strictly Come Dancing because he feels he has an empathy with the competitors even though they are all celebrities.

“I like The Voice. I like the fact it’s mentors rather than judges. I was offered the job then they took it away from me the next day. It was really weird,” he said.

After the forthcoming tour Will said he has numerous acting projects to firm up.

“There’s five things I’m working on right now. I’m writing a comedy-drama which I can’t tell you much about, and another pilot with a friend, another TV thing and two theatre projects but there’s nothing definite yet.

“I love it because I like to have fingers in lots of different things and it keeps me energised.

“It’s nice to have all those things because it allows me to focus on my music more, and stops me being scared. And that’s the key thing for being creative, you can’t be half-hearted.”

Will is also writing a book about mental wellbeing and is continuing to write for the Huffington Post and other newspapers.

And he hopes Wales beat South Africa in the World Cup quarter final this weekend.

“I think they can do it, and then go all the way to the final and win the cup,” he said.

Will you be going to see Will? Let us know by commenting below

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 18 2015, 09:39 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Yorkshire Evening Post

Definitely in the past I’ve been more navel gazing. I feel a lot more outward-looking as a person and I think that’s to do with age

Will Young has the breezy air of a man whose best- laid plans have turned out well. A spell in a West End production of Cabaret followed by change of record label and management company seem to have left the 36-year-old singer viewing his career in new and more expansive terms.

“Yeah, I think it would be fair to describe it as a fresh start,” says the one-time Pop Idol winner when discussing the three-year period of change leading up to his sixth studio album, 85% Proof. His most varied record to date, its warm reception by fans and critics alike has clearly been a matter of some satisfaction to its maker.

He talks of his new deal with Island Records “working out fantastically”, his “great” new management and being “dead chuffed” that the album went to Number One in the UK charts.

“I think the key thing is to always come back to the music,” he reflects. “I think there can be distractions around my job that would take me away from what it is that I do, which is the music.”

Where previous albums have taken on average 18 months for Young to complete with his songwriting team of Jim Eliot and Mima Stilwell, the songs on 85% Proof were rattled through at a creative gallop.

Instead of starting out with a clear idea of where they wanted the album to end up, as they did with its predecessor Echoes, this time they went where inspiration took them. He laughs when I ask if the new approach gave room for experimentation.

“You’d think so but we wrote it in 10 days, so we didn’t really experiment at all,” he says. “It was slightly terrifying because I always prefer to have a definite focus, I think it makes it easier, but really with this one it was all coming out so easily that it really did just sort of happen.

“I think a lot of that was because I’d had a long break and also I hadn’t written with Jim and Mima for quite a few years, even though we’d seen each other because we’re friends, so I think we were all just excited to be back.

“There’s something that happens with us for some reason. Those kind of magical things don’t always happen but we’re just on the same wavelength, as people and creatively, so it just happened. And it’s a very eclectic album in comparison to the last one.”

The album’s title was suggested by Young’s twin brother Rupert, who had seen a documentary about moonshine. Young was intrigued by its nautical association and the way that sailors were paid in rum in the 1600s. “To test the percentage they’d light it, they’d put it with a little bit of gunpowder, and I just loved that image, the idea does the gunpowder flare up or does it not? I just thought the fermenting process of alcohol is similar to the fermenting process of an album: you don’t really know what you’re getting fully.”

If the songs on this album are more “inclusive” than his previous material, Young says that has much to do with a change of perspective in his mid-thirties. “I think definitely in the past I’ve been more navel gazing. I feel a lot more outward-looking as a person and I think that’s to do with age. Now I feel safer and settled as a person I can open my eyes as to what’s going on the world.”

He thinks it ties into the fact that he is “doing a lot more for other people”

“I write for other people, I’ve taken on a lot more of an active role in gay rights, I mentor young people. I want to start putting more of myself out into the world and it’s wonderful because I just had a text this morning from one kid that I’m mentoring, she’s finding it tough at school and she’s had a great day today and I’m really chuffed. That means so much to me.”

The recent single Like a River addresses the subject of bullying, something Young suffered in his teens. “It’s funny, actually,” he says of the song. “It wasn’t difficult to write because I think it was something I’d addressed in my life so it was more a putting to bed, actually, in many ways, in a very sort of empowering way and writing it into a very interesting story.”

The artily shot black and white video that accompanies it explores the Greek legend of the Minotaur. Video is a medium that Young has long been fond of, and from an early stage in his career, he’s done what he can to be subversive. “I’m such a fan of the subversiveness of art,” he says. “I think art can do so many things in one sitting, as it were. You can have a video that looks very frothy and colourful and fun and then you can take it at that value or not.

“It’s all about layers, like layers of a cake, you can just scoop off the marshmallows on the top or you can delve in deeper. I think great plays, great music, great songs, great paintings they all have layers if you just scratch beneath.”

Looking back on how TV singing contests have developed since he beat Bradford’s Gareth Gates on Pop Idol in 2001, I ask if he is grateful to have been guided by the management of Simon Fuller rather than Simon Cowell, with whom he clashed when he was a judge on the show. He answers diplomatically. “I think it’s more general than that, really. I’ve been very fortunate, there have been some key people. I still have the same day-to-day manager I’ve had for 14 years. There were people like Steve Lipson who produced my second and third records, he gave me a career. There was Eg White that wrote Leave Right Now that gave me a career. There have been all these wonderful video directors, all these wonderful stylists. There are so many people that aren’t seen.

Perhaps uniquely for a former talent show contestant, Young has said he is interested in being an intellectual. A graduate of the University of Exeter, he has even mooted that he would like to go back to academia one day.

“I think through thought and learning we find out more about things and that just excites me and that’s never really left me,” he says. “I’m fascinated with human behaviour, I’m fascinated with psychology and sociology and that’s what I would like to study more because I find it so enlightening. It’s enlightenment, really, and I think it’s something that’s just always interested me, learning.

“A lot of my work is spent thinking about me as a brand and speaking about me. I went and did an arts programme about Magritte and it was just wonderful to talk intelligently about something else other than me. I am a narcissist so I can talk about myself but even for a narcissist it gets boring.”

Young has managed to put his politics degree to use as an occasional panellist on Question Time. Latterly he’s been unafraid to stand up to politicians, such as Education Secretary Nicky Morgan, on the issue of homophobia in schools.

He was reportedly unimpressed by her response but is optimistic that he can help effect real change on the problem. “Yes I am because I’m confident in my unfaltering belief in other people and my belief is that people are better than people are allowed to be. For example, with LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) issues in schools you just need to educate children and I don’t understand why it doesn’t happen.

“People are not born narrow-minded, people are not born afraid of difference. In fact, we’re all different so why don’t we all embrace our difference rather than trying to look at how everyone should be the same?”

On a lighter note, he admits he admits he still has one unfulfilled ambition. “I want to be on Oprah [Winfrey]’s Book Club, I’m just not sure how yet,” he says, adding with wry humour that his choice of tome would be “a self-help book”.

Will Young’s album 85% Proof is out now. He starts his Love Revolution tour at York Barbican on October 29. For details go to tickets.yorkbarbican.co.uk

Read more: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/yorkshire-l...6#ixzz3ouW26Hwq

Love that he is so happy how things have worked with his change of label and management. He certainly seems a lot happier. biggrin.gif I wonder who he's been writing for?

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 26 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Interview: Will Young speaks ahead of Birmingham shows
MONDAY 26TH OCTOBER 2015

Singing, acting, writing, campaigning... Will Young can do it all. We meet the man of many talents...

We don’t wish to alarm you with your own mortality, but it’s been 14 years since Will Young galloped to victory in Pop Idol.

We couldn’t believe it either – where has the time gone?

Since then, dozens of TV talent show hopefuls have come and gone. Some fade into obscurity as the whirring pop machine chews them up and spits them out. But others come out of the other side stronger than ever – their experience galvanising them as artists, offering them a hard foundation to build on. Will Young is undeniably one such artist.

Talking about him with friends before we chatted to the man himself had mixed reactions. ‘He’s been gone for a while hasn’t he?’ was one comment. ‘He’s not done much for a bit has he?’ was another.

But for those of us who treat ourselves to a bit of theatre every now and again, Will was unmissable as Emcee in Cabaret, earning him a well-deserved Olivier Award. And those who watch TV will have seen him on their screens discussing art. He may have taken a break from pop, but Will has been far from ‘gone’.

“There’s a certain amount of credibility that comes from sticking around,” says Will, laughing. “I’ve realised that I’m actually quite good at what I do.”

And you have to admit, he’s not wrong. The 36-year-old’s latest album 85% Proof is his sixth and it went straight to number one when it was released in May. The tour to share the record with fans kicks off next week, and Will will perform at Birmingham’s Symphony Hall next month.

“I’ve played at the Symphony Hall before and it’s a lovely venue, so it’ll be so nice to be back for two nights. It’s big but it’s intimate at the same time.” And an intimate venue is perfect for the album, which is one of Will’s most personal yet.

“I can listen back to songs from six years ago and think ‘oh my God, that’s what I was thinking then!’ At the time I don’t think about it, but when I listen back I realise what was going on in my life at that point. The new album can’t help but be an example of me.

“The track Joy, for example, is about throwing away the things that can bring you down on a daily basis – be it a bad day at work or someone cutting you up in traffic – and just all joining together and feeling happiness in life. I am a joyful person and I love seeing people happy, that’s what makes me happy.”

He tells us the track Thank You was inspired by his role in Cabaret: “The whole show and way of performing kind of embodies how I see life. It’s subversive, comedic, political, a comment on society, great fun, full of amazing music, entertaining,” he explains.

“A song like Thank You is about not being afraid to stand up to someone. It’s OK to be angry. Sometimes you’ve just got to say, ‘f**k off you dumped me, you don’t like this, you gave me a parking ticket . . . Screw all this zen Buddhist stuff.”

We find from chatting to Will he’s just very straight-to-the-point. There are no attempts to be a perfect pop star – he’s just himself.

“I’m quite an honest person and I just can’t lie,” he says when we mention it. “I try and say things with love – not in an unpleasant way – but I just don’t see any point in lying. I wasn’t reigned in when I was on X Factor, but as I got older I got wiser and more confident in finding my voice.”

It’s not just in his music that he’s sharing his voice. Over the last few years, Will has started to write politically-led articles. He penned his biography Funny Peculiar in 2012 too, an experience which inspired the new album.

“I’ve done a lot more writing and a fair amount of commentary pieces, and I do feel I’ve got a voice. It’s just my humble opinion on things really, but I love sharing it. I love the country live in, and the society we have here, and I like to write about it and how it could be made better.

What writing Funny Peculiar did was really spark my love of writing again. My job can be very all-consuming and very about me, but I started to think ‘well what’s this all about?’ This is a way more inclusive record; less introverted and more ‘this is life, this is what happens’.

“A lot of my other records have been a bit ‘poor me’ and I’m not in that place so it wasn’t really inspiring me.”

The sense of looking back also gave Will a new way of looking at where he is now. “I slightly missed that time of being a teenager and doing whatever the hell you wanted, and I thought it had kind of gone, but I’m completely back at that place now.” As retrospect goes, Will is using his own experiences to help others like him.

“I’m working towards a degree at the moment, I’m a year in. I don’t know if I’m more complex than your average pop star or whether I’ve just got more interests. The thing is, all the things I’m learning help me to better myself as a person. I like learning stuff about the world – especially because I have a job in which I spend a lot of time talking about myself. It’s really nice to step away from that and use my brain for other things.

“There are things I can learn every day and I really enjoy writing it about and I enjoy passing that on to other people. I mentor people and it’s such a rewarding thing to do.

“I do singer/song writing workshops and mentor a young guy who’s an actor and a singer. I also mentor someone else as an adult figure to see what’s happening in her life, to listen to her and help her. I think I’ve wanted to do that more over the last few years. “And my age helps with that really. Because I don’t have children of my own yet, I’ve reached that point in my mid-thirties where I want to invest more in young people. Even if I did or do have a family, I would still be interested in listening to young people.

“Everyone needs someone to guide them and I have my 36 years experience, and if I can help others using that, then it’s a very privileged position I’m in.” And one issue Will feels strongly about is that of LGBT rights. In 2002, Will came out publicly as being gay. Since then he’s fronted a campaign for Stonewall and campaigned tirelessly for the cause. Being a pop star has meant he’s in a powerful position of influence, particularly over young music fans.

“There’s more of a sense of trust for some reason,” he says when we ask about it. “I don’t know if it’s because people think they know you more or because you’re famous or a pop star, it’s got more credence to it. I’ve never felt a tangible sense of responsibility but I do with LGBT rights, definitely. I feel fiercely responsible for that actually.It never feels like a burden though, because it’s my choice and it’s a privilege.”

Being in such a position hasn’t gone to his head though.

“I’ve always felt grounded because I have brilliant family, friends and people I work with. I imagine lots of famous people would say this, but when you’ve been on a trail for a year or so when you just talk about yourself, you go a bit mental. What I try and do now is make sure that I have an interest in other things. I did a show on Magritte, the painter, which was so nice as it wasn’t about me at all. It was good to get my mind working in that way, rather than just constantly analysing myself.”

Unafraid to share his opinions and keen to make positive changes in the world, it seems to us Will is quite different from the average TV talent show cookie-cutter contestant.

But he doesn’t regret how he began his career, and hasn’t forgotten the opportunities that it’s afforded him.

“I think any format that allows people that are talented to be noticed and for them to realise their dream, how could I say anything negative? It completely worked for me and I just think it’s another way into doing something that you love.

“There are so many things I’d like to do creatively in terms of musical projects. I’d like to make an acoustic album and a classical album too. I’d like to do so many different types of theatre and film and then there’s the mentoring that I’d like to do. And then there’s my studies and what I want to do there. I want to do more for LGBT rights. God, there’s not enough time!”

And just like that, our own time with Will was up. We’d say “I think I’d better leave right now”, but keen not to embarrass ourselves, we settle with a polite ‘goodbye’.

Will is playing at the Birmingham Symphony Hall on November 4 and 16. Both concerts start at 7.30pm. For tickets, visit www.ticketmaster.co.uk. His new single Brave Man is available now.

By Kirsty Bosley

Few inaccuracies in this one.

This post has been edited by truly talented: Oct 26 2015, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
Slick
post Oct 26 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #6
electric butterflies
Member No.: 70
   No Gallery Pics

All of you lovely Will Young forum posters (or those who actually remember me) will be pleased to know that I'm going to my first Will Young show this month biggrin.gif Looking forward to it, expecting him to be very good!

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 26 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Slick smile.gif . Which venue are you going to?

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 26 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Competition to win tickets, a meal and overnight stay in Newcastle, through Smooth Radio.

http://www.smoothradio.com/northeast/competitions-offers/

I'm already going but have still entered.

+Quote Post
inactiveaccount
post Oct 26 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

I cannot wait. Am going with my mother wub.gif

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 26 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Hope you both enjoy the gig? Have you seen Will before?

+Quote Post
Slick
post Oct 26 2015, 11:19 PM
Post #11
electric butterflies
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(truly talented @ Oct 26 2015, 07:31 PM) *
Hi Slick smile.gif . Which venue are you going to?

Hello! I'm going to see him in Manchester!

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 27 2015, 08:13 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Slick @ Oct 26 2015, 11:19 PM) *
Hello! I'm going to see him in Manchester!

A few of us from here are going to that one too. I do hope you enjoy it. He is always on top form vocally but his staging ideas are often quite zany. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
inactiveaccount
post Oct 27 2015, 10:35 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(KWEEN_DEE @ Oct 26 2015, 07:41 PM) *
I cannot wait. Am going with my mother wub.gif

Yeah. We saw him at Powderham Castle years ago.

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 27 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Meet & Greets.

http://assets.umusic.co.uk/JACKS_FILES/WIL...JACK_EDIT1.html

+Quote Post
Slick
post Oct 27 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #15
electric butterflies
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(truly talented @ Oct 27 2015, 08:13 AM) *
A few of us from here are going to that one too. I do hope you enjoy it. He is always on top form vocally but his staging ideas are often quite zany. laugh.gif

I'll remember to have a proper look at the staging then laugh.gif

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 27 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Well the dogs look to be enjoying their master's voice. laugh.gif

Hello from rehearsals. 2 days to go... #LoveRevolutionTour...

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 27 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

So the fun begins. dance.gif

Tweet from Will

Lots of fun things going to be happening around the tour... make sure to subscribe on YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/willyoung

Wonder what he has planned. dance.gif unsure.gif

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 28 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks to Diz for this interesting interview in the Newcastle Chronicle.

Surely he's joking about being lazy. laugh.gif He seems to have plenty in the pipeline.

Will Young on his transgender Brave Man video, his laziness and his Newcastle City Hall gig
19:00, 28 OCT 2015... BY GORDON BARR

Will reveals his latest video is his most proudest and tells how he would spend every day being as lazy as he possibly could given the chance

Will Young has accomplished much in his 14-year career, but his latest project is the one he feels is his best and is most proud of.

His new single Brave Man coincides with his first UK tour in four years and it brings him to Newcastle City Hall on November 11.

It comes with a video that, when premiered, saw social media go into meltdown. Viewers see a young man walking naked around a city, taking abuse from people in a pub and in a shopping centre, while he covers himself with Polaroid photographs.

Finally he throws the photos, which see him dressed in ‘female’ clothing, into the sea, and we find he is actually a transgender man.

The tour also comes on the back of his chart-topping 85% Proof album, the follow-up to the No.1 album Echoes released in 2011, which has sold over half a million copies.

In the intervening years Will moved back to theatre staring as The Emcee in Cabaret (for which he was nominated for an Olivier Award); presented an ITV documentary on surrealist artist Magritte; filtered his passion for politics and social commentary via blogs for the likes of the Huffington Post; wrote a best-selling biography and fronted a campaign for Stonewall. He also started teaching and mentoring other singer-songwriters.

I caught up with Will to chat about his tour, latest work and what drives him.

Brave Man has certainly got people talking.
“To be honest it’s probably the best and proudest thing I’ve ever done in my life. It goes beyond work. It’s not about making money. Making money is secondary to the cause and the cause is trying to communicate things to the world. It’s the same in journalism, in politics, in so many things. It’s not about the money, the money is definitely secondary and always has been. What am I doing it for? Do I need more recognition? Do I need to sell a zillion records to feel happier about myself? No.

“Do I need to make way more money to buy another house? All of these are secondary to who I am and all of these things are secondary to life.”

You have done so much in the past few years. Are you something of a workaholic?
“I am so lazy. Yesterday I really wanted to skive off work. Pretty much every day I’d like to skive off work. My ideal thing is with a friend just pottering around, going to bric-a-brac shops and really doing nothing. That is as active as I could possibly get. I am basically a lazy person.

“But I end up doing all these things as I think they will be fun. The other day I did a radio show, which I can’t talk too much about at the moment, but it was really fun. But before that I was literally saying to my friend if I didn’t have to do that I would just skive. It was such a lovely evening, I wanted to just put my feet up and go on Right Move and imagine I had £20 million to buy a manor and see what I could get.

“Do what everyone else does and go on property websites and look at what you can never actually afford. It’s just daydreaming and I love it.”

Was writing your autobiography cathartic?
“It was cathartic. It was a mixture of honest stuff about school and my mental well-being, which for me is really important to say. It was also about writing quite a lot of funny stories with some dramatic licence.

“I actually created a make-believe friend in that as I thought the character was really funny. It then brought out more of a writer in me and that is definitely why I’ve been writing a lot for papers and the Huffington Post and it has definitely changed my songwriting. I think my songwriting has become so much better as I’ve become more confident in myself as a lyricist and it’s really built my confidence to know I can write. So I think that biography was a huge turning point for me, as I rediscovered my love of just putting pen to paper.”

Did your self-confessed laziness hamper the writing process?
“I’m sure a lot of writers say this, but the hardest part is actually just starting the first word. Once it gets going, it’s really a bit like I just become the typist. It just flows out. That is the same with songwriting and any kind of writing. I try and not put too much thought on it. I just start and see where it goes.

“I would tend to do about 2,000 to 3,000 words a day and that would be it. Then I would review it and change this and that. I think that’s a great way of doing it. It’s enjoyable. It’s like going to the gym. The worst part of going to the gym is putting the clothes on and getting there. Once you get there it is fine. No-one ever wants to really get there.

“If I didn’t enjoy it I think it would be extremely painful.”

Now the tour beckons. You can’t be lazy on that now can you!
“I’m really looking forward to it but I’m a bit nervous too, which is a good thing. It means I care about it.

“The Hyde Park gig I did recently was really fun and I ended the set with these giant balloons, it was a brilliant way of getting out to the audience as on really big gigs it can feel a bit separate as there are so many people, but a simple thing like that just includes everyone.

“That’s what I like doing in the gigs, making sure everyone gets involved and there isn’t such a separation between the stage and the audience.”

There will be no separation at Newcastle City Hall. It’s the perfect size.
“That’s what is nice about theatre tours. They are a lot more intimate and you can really get involved in the gig. Arena tours are more of a spectacle whereas theatre tours are more concentrated on the music.

“I don’t really like going to arena tours now so much. If I want to see someone I prefer to see them in a smaller environment.

“My first tour as a solo artist was a theatre tour and it’s fun as the audience is always different and every night is different as I chat away to the audience and they say funny things and I go off on a tangent about whatever has happened that day. It keeps every night interesting.

“Someone said to me you should treat every night as your first night and I think that’s true. I might have done the show 20 times but that audience that night are just seeing it once. So I’ve got to always remember that.

“I do, and I thought that was a really good bit of advice actually.

What’s on the cards after the tour?
“After the tour I have some more promotion for the album and other bits and pieces, stuff I can’t really talk about.

“Next year I will be doing more internationally and working on some acting stuff and finishing this other book I am writing.

“The book is a life manual on things I have learned on life which makes it a lot easier. It’s quite a simplified book and I’m really enjoying writing it.

“That’s a great example, actually, as of an evening that doesn’t feel like work. It’s just a great thing to do of an evening. I guess being someone creative and an artist, a huge part of that is just enjoying communicating. So even though I am pretty lazy there is a huge part of me loves just communicating and it goes much further than work.”

You seem in a very happy place at the moment.
“I think a happy place is just feeling as fulfilled as I
can at any stage and so I do feel like that. I feel where I am is where I should be and that’s a great feeling.”

* Will Young is at Newcastle City Hall on November 11. His single Brave Man is available now.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/mu..._medium=twitter

This post has been edited by truly talented: Oct 28 2015, 10:13 PM

+Quote Post
sajjadali
post Oct 30 2015, 02:51 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 1,100
   No Gallery Pics

SPOILERS BELOW SO DON'T READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW

Some thoughts...
Opening with Brave Man - the confetti thing worked SO well.
Ending on Leave Right Now - how apt!
Would have preferred to open on Love Revolution that would be an amazing opener but never mind
So many 85% Proof songs not performed missed Promise Me, Dare, You Keep On Loving Me and of course the stunning I Don't Need A Lover.
No covers at all - he normally does at least one.
He has put the effort into this tour but i didn't need to hear Switch It On again or Changes etc - this is the 85% Proof tour! We've seen those performed so many times.
Overall good but could have been better.

MY IDEAL set list would be

Set 1
Opener Love Revolution
Promise Me
U Think I'm Sexy
Your Game

Set 2
Brave Man
Leave Right Now
Light My Fire
Gold

Set 3
Dare/You Keep On Loving Me(Medley)
COVER - Rather Be by Clean Banditt
All Time Love
Like A River

Set 4
Jealousy
I Don't Need A Lover
Thank You-FAKE ENDING
Encore - Joy

This post has been edited by sajjadali: Oct 30 2015, 03:03 AM

+Quote Post
truly talented
post Oct 30 2015, 12:34 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Still in York awaiting the train home. Will was on top form vocally from the brilliant atmospheric opening Brave Man to the final bars of Leave Right Now. Loved the mix of old and new songs and Will's quirky sense of humour was very much in evidence with the generation style conveyor belt skitting his own tour merchandise. He really is a one off and his tours have him stamped all over them. My only slight disappointment was he he didn't sing Promise Me but we know he'll be singing it with a fan in Nottingham. Maybe he'll change songs over the tour and I'll catch it on a later date. I don't agree with artists just singing their current album as the majority of his more casual fans will still want to hear the older favourites.

I thought the band were excellent. The sound was brilliant from where I sat in row G. Will's voice wasn't drowned out at any point which hasn't always been the case in the past. Band were very professional but we certainly knew who was the main man and so it should be.

Quite enjoyed Lemar's set, though half hour was enough for me. Loved his comments about and the respect he showed to Will. It can't have been easy for him.

Had so many laughs with very good friends met through Will and can't wait to do it all over again in Newcastle.

Set list

Brave man
Uti sexy
Runaway
Lmf
Thank you
Grace
Sio
You and i
Gold
Like a river
Changes
Your game.
Who am i?
Jealousy

Love rev
Joy
Lrn

This post has been edited by truly talented: Oct 30 2015, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:23 PM