BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Man In The High Castle, Amazon
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-0-0
post Jan 7 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #1
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

Has anybody watched this? I've just watched episode one and I'm loving it biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Jan 7 2016, 11:43 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Yeah, I watched the whole series over the Christmas holidays and I loved it! Really interesting concept and lots of drama filled moments.

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post Jan 7 2016, 01:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860
My friend was interested in this so we watched two episodes the other day and weren't quite sure what to make of it. The overall concept is intriguing but the storyline and main characters fell into several clichés and weren't exactly gripping. Would be up for continuing the series though to see if it picks up, especially as it seems to have got good reviews.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Jan 7 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #4
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
I only managed half of the first episode so far. Perhaps I'll get back to it but probably not sad.gif

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Jan 8 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🙄
I'm on episode 8 and as much as I'm enjoying it, I'm not totally blown away by it.

It's very addictive but it's nowhere near as fast paced as it could be.

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Jan 8 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #6
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335
I watched three and a half episodes and dropped it. I really wanted to like it, but I found it boring. sad.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 8 2016, 03:43 PM
Post #7
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
I've been meaning to check it out as the advert I've seen looks really intriguing...but the comments here aren't the most promising.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Jan 8 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #8
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I know it's based on a book but it seems to me to be premise first, story later.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Jan 8 2016, 04:33 PM
Post #9
Group icon
🙄
The ending of episode 10.

Why.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Jan 8 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
QUOTE(🙄🙄🙄 @ Jan 8 2016, 04:33 PM) *
The ending of episode 10.

Why.

I couldn't understand what they were trying to do with the ending. It just raises a load more questions than answering any. Episode 9's cliffhanger is pretty good though.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Jan 8 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #11
Group icon
🙄
It makes no sense considering that there's a season 2?

+Quote this post
Severin
post Jan 25 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
I'm a little late to the party with this one but I'm really enjoying this. Sags a tad in episodes 3&4 but lifts majorly thereafter.
The production design on this show is among the best I've ever seen on TV and Rufus Sewell is fabulous

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Jan 26 2016, 11:47 PM
Post #13
Group icon
🙄
I'm actually incredibly excited for season 2, I've went back and re-watched a fair amount and I'll happily admit that I under appreciated this and I'm delighted we could get season 2 before 2017.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Jan 27 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(🙄🙄🙄 @ Jan 8 2016, 08:09 PM) *
It makes no sense considering that there's a season 2?

It makes complete sense, surely?

Unless I'm way off the mark here, the whole show is a splinter from reality. Where one single decision changes the course of history to create an alternate timeline. That happened at some point before or during WWII and we are watching the following events. The films show multiple divergent possibilities in the timeline. Except the 'truth' of history is the Axis powers lost the war and slowly but surely the truth is finding a way to correct history. At the end the Trade Minister both metaphorically and literally 'wakes up' to see the truth before him, although probably only for a brief moment.

And it seemed to me that because virtually every character parallels with another at least once in the show, that it's most likely that Hitler is one of 2 literal men in high castles rather than the sole one.

As I said I may be barking up completely the wrong tree but that's how it seemed to me.

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Feb 4 2016, 11:54 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
Started watching this in Decemeber, gave it a few weeks break between both the 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd episodes (mostly because I was watching other things, but also because it started off rather slow) but powered through for the last few days, had a long coach journey yesterday, so just finished. It's actually really addictive, and so interesting. I love the idea of alternate histories, despite this particular one being rather horrifying. Definitely watching season 2 when it comes out.

Unless I'm way off the mark here, the whole show is a splinter from reality. Where one single decision changes the course of history to create an alternate timeline. That happened at some point before or during WWII and we are watching the following events. The films show multiple divergent possibilities in the timeline. Except the 'truth' of history is the Axis powers lost the war and slowly but surely the truth is finding a way to correct history. At the end the Trade Minister both metaphorically and literally 'wakes up' to see the truth before him, although probably only for a brief moment.

And it seemed to me that because virtually every character parallels with another at least once in the show, that it's most likely that Hitler is one of 2 literal men in high castles rather than the sole one.

As I said I may be barking up completely the wrong tree but that's how it seemed to me.
Seems very plausible, for a while I was thinking that the Trade Minister himself might have been The Man In The High Castle. It does seem to suggest from the title that there's only one but Hitler does have that large collection of films so that could make sense. I have no idea.

It's got me interested in reading the book now, though I've got a long list of things I want to read and never seem to make time for it any more. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: Feb 4 2016, 11:59 AM

+Quote this post
FezVez
post Feb 7 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,358
Just finished binging this.

I echo previous comments, while I enjoyed it very much there was room for more 'moments' and I'm baffled by the final scene.

Very intrigued as to where they will take the second season.

+Quote this post
lotita
post Dec 20 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #17
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
anyone else watching season 2? ohmy.gif I finished it yday, SO good. The ending really surprised me, I was so certain it would've built it up for season 3 to be about the nazi/japanese war. The last few minutes just felt like a shock after another tho. #prayforthomas. Also now by the end of that i'm rlly stanning obergruppenführer Smith oops

This post has been edited by angel_lotita: Dec 20 2016, 06:34 PM

+Quote this post
Severin
post Jan 2 2017, 01:40 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Mansonette
Just finished this myself and I thought overall season 2 has been better than 1 but the ending fell flat. Not the last episode so much as the last 5 minutes. It built up well (and I expected wat to be averted) but deflated with Juliana and Tagawa's denouement. I think it'll pick up fine but it wasn't much of a cliffhanger.

I'm also a bit disappointed that explanation for the tapes existence is really dull and unimaginative. I expect better of Phillip Dick.

Still easily one of the 10 best shows around right now though

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Jan 3 2017, 12:29 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
Just finished and I've got to say I loved this season. With you there Severin, the ending does leave a little to be desired but it doesn't matter too much since it's not really an ending and presumably will pick up directly from where it left when season 3 starts.

I love how the series humanises Nazis like the Smith family (especially the Obergruppenfuhrer), despite the occasional horrific reminder of the brutal nature of the the regime they serve under (Thomas' condition and attitudes towards it being an obvious example), what I do find hard to understand however is how seemingly so much of the US population seems to accept things the way they are (of course a lot of people would be afraid of criticising the Nazis and rightly so but there's definitely a significant proportion that do believe in Nazi ideals and although there is a widespread resistance they're not the majority). I get how the younger generation's been indoctrinated but there are a lot of people still around old enough to remember pre-war America, particularly Helen and John Smith who fought on the side of the US in the war, sure maybe they didn't have much choice but they're loyal Nazis now, maybe it was just easier for them to fool themselves into accepting the regime since there was nothing they could do about it then they slowly came to believe in its values themselves. I'd be really interested to find out more about how John Smith became an Obergruppenfuhrer, especially now after seeing that brief 1945 flashback.

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: Jan 3 2017, 12:30 AM

+Quote this post
Severin
post Jan 3 2017, 07:22 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(Jacob Alan @ Jan 3 2017, 12:29 AM) *
Just finished and I've got to say I loved this season. With you there Severin, the ending does leave a little to be desired but it doesn't matter too much since it's not really an ending and presumably will pick up directly from where it left when season 3 starts.

I love how the series humanises Nazis like the Smith family (especially the Obergruppenfuhrer), despite the occasional horrific reminder of the brutal nature of the the regime they serve under (Thomas' condition and attitudes towards it being an obvious example), what I do find hard to understand however is how seemingly so much of the US population seems to accept things the way they are (of course a lot of people would be afraid of criticising the Nazis and rightly so but there's definitely a significant proportion that do believe in Nazi ideals and although there is a widespread resistance they're not the majority). I get how the younger generation's been indoctrinated but there are a lot of people still around old enough to remember pre-war America, particularly Helen and John Smith who fought on the side of the US in the war, sure maybe they didn't have much choice but they're loyal Nazis now, maybe it was just easier for them to fool themselves into accepting the regime since there was nothing they could do about it then they slowly came to believe in its values themselves. I'd be really interested to find out more about how John Smith became an Obergruppenfuhrer, especially now after seeing that brief 1945 flashback.

Agreed also that it seems quite a lot buy into the Nazi ideals. More so than the Japanese on the west coast.

I think John's medal is quite key with him. In that one scene he said how it reminded him of the consequences of 'failure of command' or something like that. I think he quickly saw how the US was going under Nazi rule and positioned himself to take advantage of it as quickly as possible. On the surface he appears to be a strident Nazi but much of it appears to be a front when you compare it with some of his actions. Also he can turn a blind eye when the horrors of Nazisim happen to others but not when closer to home. I can imagine a lot of people would feel the same.
Additionally the US had many problems with it's own racial divisions following the abolition of slavery (and still does arguably) less than 100 years before. Quite a few people might see the Nazis as a step in the right direction (think Donald Trump)

However, all of this ignores the fact that a land invasion of the USA by Nazi Germany and the Empire of Japan would have been a logistical impossibility even if the USSR stayed neutral and they won every battle. There would have followed a complete blood bath even with the threat of nukes, given the amount of guns and America's historical attitude to foreign rule.

Also, I like how they're humanizing the Nazis, however a show where you're kind of rooting for Heinrich Himmler in the season finale probably hasn't addressed the worst of the Third Reich enough

This post has been edited by Severin: Jan 3 2017, 02:19 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:04 AM