BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Cameron's legacy, How will he be remembered?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post 25th June 2016, 09:53 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

With Cameron on his way out, what will his legacy be?

Will he be remembered as the man who promised to mend broken Britain and left it more broken than ever before? Or will it be as the man who gambled the future of his entire country for the sake of his career and lost?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 25th June 2016, 10:05 AM
Post #2
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

He'll be remembered as a failure IMO. The country has gone nowhere since 2010.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 25th June 2016, 11:19 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Had the referendum gone the right way I imagine his reputation/legacy would have been fairly middling, it wouldn't have been an easy job to try and remedy the myriad issues he was handed in 2010. I don't think he dealt with them all very well, but I think the softening impact of the Lib Dem's in his first term would have done enough to make austerity seem broadly acceptable in the long run and the country IS in a better place now than it was economically. It's just that it's an utter f***ing mess socially, but that's as much down to UKIP and the other parties as it is lack of leadership from Dave.

However, after taking the referendum gamble and losing and effectively ending the United Kingdom (assuming Scotland leave, which seems fairly inevitable), I can't imagine him going down as anything other than one of our worst ever PM's.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 25th June 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #4
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

If the country is in a 'better place economically', why are we back in a manufacturing recession and have interest rates stuck at emergency record low levels of 0.5%?

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 25th June 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Probably the only thing he'll be remembered for positively will be getting same-sex marriage onto the statute books, and even then future history will find a way to take that away from him.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 25th June 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #6
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

I don't think he will be remembered too fondly, but he had a really difficult job coming out of financial crisis. Hated by many in his own party and by many up and down the country. The next Prime Minister will have an even harder job, our whole country is divided. Unspeakable those who cry out about democracy now mean we are likely to have an unelected Prime Minister for the next 3 and a half years.

The country needs a general election in 2017/2018.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 25th June 2016, 12:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 25 2016, 01:26 PM) *
Probably the only thing he'll be remembered for positively will be getting same-sex marriage onto the statute books, and even then future history will find a way to take that away from him.

That would be deserved. It was a Lib Dem initiative steered through parliament by a Lib Dem minister. Of course it needed his approval to proceed, but it would never have happened without the coalition.

+Quote this post
danG
post 25th June 2016, 01:01 PM
Post #8
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I'm sure Cameron will be remembered as an awful prime minister, even if Boris Johnson turns out to be even worse when he inevitably gets the job.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 25th June 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #9
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(danG @ Jun 25 2016, 02:01 PM) *
I'm sure Cameron will be remembered as an awful prime minister, even if Boris Johnson turns out to be even worse when he inevitably gets the job.

Boris is popular with party members, but not so much with the MPs. It's going to be an interesting leadership contest, one with many twists and turns. Whoever it is, I feel needs to be pro-European. Reason being is that Parliament is now going to be mess with two-thirds of MPs supporting remain. I feel it's going to be a very bitter few months, and an even more bitter with the next couple of years following.

+Quote this post
danG
post 25th June 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

do the MP's get to elect the new prime minister then? because I thought it would be elected by the Party in a similar way to how Corbyn was elected as Labour leader recently.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 25th June 2016, 02:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(danG @ Jun 25 2016, 03:01 PM) *
do the MP's get to elect the new prime minister then? because I thought it would be elected by the Party in a similar way to how Corbyn was elected as Labour leader recently.

Tory MPs will have a series of votes to reduce the number of candidates to two (assuming at least two are nominated). Party members will then get to vote between the two. I suspect there is a significant group of Tory MPs who will be trying to ensure that Johnson is not one of the final two.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 25th June 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #12
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 25 2016, 03:17 PM) *
Tory MPs will have a series of votes to reduce the number of candidates to two (assuming at least two are nominated). Party members will then get to vote between the two. I suspect there is a significant group of Tory MPs who will be trying to ensure that Johnson is not one of the final two.

Exactly. Boris is the populist candidate, but he's unpopular with many of the MPs. More Conservatives were pro-EU than Brexit. I think they view Boris and Gove with disrespect for using the campaign to further their political careers when it's clear both are actual more liberal-Tory than UKIP.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 25th June 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

He will be remembered for screwing over the working and middle classes and be credited with causing the breakup of the UK (which it's hard to not see happening right now).

+Quote this post
sm1ffj
post 25th June 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,629

When you think about it, matching time as PM with an own majority comparing PM's side by side, he would have just had less than 18 months as PM leading a party without a coalition partner party, Gordon Brown did more, Tony Blair deffo did more, even John Major led a 6 and a half year majority government.

So for me not very successful.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 25th June 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #15
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Possibly one of the worst of recent times surely? I mean before all this he was fairly unremarkable save for gay marriage, but then he called a referendum that REALLY shouldn't have been called given more MPs were in favour of staying and ended up being beaten and effectively completing dividing the nation in every sense (young and old, working vs middle class, England vs Scotland, it was all there).

Good riddance to him, frankly, even if the next one could possibly be even worse.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 25th June 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Disastrous, only notable in a good way for the length of his tenure and managing to turn a hung parliament into a majority second time round (even if it would eventually lead to his downfall). Remains to be seen exactly how disastrous as the fallout from this referendum isn't confirmed but certainly a worse legacy than the last three. Though his successor has far from a guarantee of being more successful as things stand.

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post 25th June 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519

A bit 'meh', until now. Spineless shithouse I think now...

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 25th June 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Cameron will be remembered as a top poster on Buzzjack laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 25th June 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #19
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jun 25 2016, 07:06 PM) *
Cameron will be remembered as a top poster on Buzzjack laugh.gif

!!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 25th June 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Cameron will be remembered by me as the man who took the credit for the best Libdem policies during his government that had to pick up the pieces after the banking crisis disaster which happened on labour's watch, right in front of their eyes, supported by the Tories, and also Iraq fallout. He is the man who then blamed the Libdems (with the help of a deluded Labour Party) for all that had become unpopular during the "recovery", even though it was Tory policy.

So, a liar from day one, and for his many many broken campaign promises (already during his unrestrained second term) while the one he SHOULD have broken was the disastrous referendum, repercussions of which will affect the whole world badly, and England especially. Essentially, he was out-lied by fellow nasty Leave campaigners which left his (albeit exaggerated hyperbolic) actual facts and likelihoods being ignored after the farce of the Scottish referendum.

So he got his own just dessert, he was a total disaster as a PM (let's not even go into foreign policy), and he's taken the country down with him. Worse even than Thatcher, because she was at least aware of what she was doing and what the stakes were. Cameron has just been clueless throughout.

The next PM will be even worse, most likely.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 09:44 AM