BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Back For Good & Bee Gees Urban Myth!!!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
nirvanamusic
post Aug 20 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,950
   No Gallery Pics

So back in the 90's there was a popular myth that Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees had written BFG under a deal that Take That would later cover a Bee Gees song which obviously they did. This was a popular myth for years for some people and spurred on by the tabloids which blatantly was untrue (see below).

'The song's popularity and quality led to an urban myth that it had secretly been written by Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees. Gibb later commented that he had "never even heard" the song.'

I suppose in the light of things BFG was a big song writing step up (mainly for non in the know TT fans) at the time and eclipsed anything they had done prior in terms of chart success. This perhaps making people think it was a Barry Gibb song he had given away.

Personally I didn't believe it at the time although it was a huge record and I can't imagine Barry Gibb who has given numerous songs to high profile artists would have kept his name off the credits during the mid 90's.

It died down as all rumours naturally do but the question is did any one believe this at the time?

This post has been edited by nirvanamusic: Aug 20 2016, 08:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dylan62
post Aug 20 2016, 11:34 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 23,185
   No Gallery Pics

Seriously, I had to check it wasn't April 1st smile.gif I've never heard this 'urban myth' story.

+Quote Post
milly
post Aug 21 2016, 06:10 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,540
   No Gallery Pics

I did know about this rumour and I still find it hilarious. I have no idea how it could even occur to someone that an artist would write a big song - any ear could have realized it was gonna be big - and then give it to someone else and not take any credit for it.
But then again, some people's minds are a complete mystery to me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jay727
post Aug 21 2016, 01:07 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 12,273

Haha this was all around the time the press were looking to stick the knife into Gary. For them to insinuate that because of its quality Gary didn't write it was an absolute disgrace. Another example of how ferocious the media can be

+Quote Post
milly
post Aug 21 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Funny they didn't try to pin Never Forget on the Bee Gees as well biggrin.gif It did come after BFG and it was the same quality, after all!
If he hadn't written good songs up to BFG, I'd have understood their skepticism, but, considering he had already written EC, AMLS, Pray, they were simply fishing for trouble.

+Quote Post
dylan62
post Aug 21 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 23,185
   No Gallery Pics

As I wasn't into TT at the time I didn't realised this rumour was going around or that the press had run with it. I do remember the press coverage during Gary's solo period
(brutal in all honesty) but I don't recall the Bee Gees angle at all. It's quite funny when you think of it smile.gif

+Quote Post
milly
post Aug 21 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dylan62 @ Aug 21 2016, 04:33 PM) *
As I wasn't into TT at the time I didn't realised this rumour was going around or that the press had run with it. I do remember the press coverage during Gary's solo period
(brutal in all honesty) but I don't recall the Bee Gees angle at all. It's quite funny when you think of it smile.gif

I tried to find some articles, but, aside from the occasion mention of this rumour (and its denial), there's not much one can find on the internet. Apparently, it's only in 2013 that Barry Gibb denied the rumour, during an interview with The Guardian - and it's a bit baffling to hear him say he'd never heard the song ???!!! unsure.gif Who on earth hasn't heard BFG by now (apart from those who were born yesterday)?!

As funny as we find the story, there are (or at least were back in 2009-2010) some people who do believe it. There's a poster on the DS forum who believes that BFG is very much in the style of the Bee Gees and that the rumour might be true.

We have a saying here, but I think it loses something in the translation: "A fool may throw into a well a stone which a hundred wise men cannot pull out." - useless to say that the fool here is media (and very likely Robbie, as nobody else had more interest in harming Gary at the time than him).

This post has been edited by milly: Aug 23 2016, 05:55 PM

+Quote Post
pippa
post Aug 23 2016, 01:19 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

I had never heard of this myth before and i dont believe there is much truth in it.

+Quote Post
Kath
post Aug 23 2016, 11:19 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 2,980
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(pippa @ Aug 23 2016, 02:19 PM) *
I had never heard of this myth before and i dont believe there is much truth in it.

I'd heard it but thought it was pants. For a start - Barlow had set the path to writing an absolute classic by having a couple of not too shabby songs under his belt already. Pray and Everything Changes were pretty good songs. And I honestly don't see the reasoning that Barry Gibb would write the song (and not take the credit) in return for Take That doing a cover of HDIYL? The main reason though that I can't see the truth in it is ... although I do think the tune to BFG is truly beautiful ... some of the lyrics in it are just not mature enough for someone of the age Gibb would have been in the mid 90's. They're a young man's lyrics - a bit clumsy and naive even and lyrics that I believe only a young man could write.

Anyway - Never Forget was better!

This post has been edited by Kath: Aug 23 2016, 11:20 PM

+Quote Post
milly
post Aug 24 2016, 07:27 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I actually think the lyrics of BFG, in all their simplicity, are very wise for any age, especially for a young man. Plus they are Gary through and through, cause he always loved the dichotomies and to play with words - everything in 12M11D is very much written in the style of BFG - lyrically, I mean.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:30 AM