BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS - BUZZJACK OSCARS: 2013, results are up!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Join me in five minutes for the results biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Josh.: 12th September 2016, 07:06 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:

The numbers beside each nominee are the number of first and second preferences if anyone was wondering c:

BIGGEST BOX OFFICE SURPRISE
01. Frozen (3,1)
02. Now You See Me (2,0)
03. Gravity (1,5)
04. Despicable Me 2 (0,0)

Disney animations have had stellar box office results in recent years but I don't think many people were expecting Frozen to climb into the all-time worldwide top 10 list. The marketing was great for the film and showcased the very cute Olaf which definitely put mine and my friends' butts in the cinema on opening weekend. The other three all exceeded box office expectations also, although it's a shame the follow-up to NYSM hasn't done quite as well financially..

BIGGEST BOX OFFICE DISASTER
01. The Lone Ranger (3,1)
02. The Harry Hill Movie (2,2)
03. Moshi Monsters: The Movie (1,1)
04. Kick-Ass 2 (0,1)
04. Movie 43 (0,1)

This is the award nobody actually wants to win but unfortunately for the Lone Ranger someone has to win. Not so many lone rangers visited the cinema to watch this film hence its $260mil worldwide takings on a $215mil budget and it became a very big financial disappointment for Disney. Harry Hill had a very popular TV show but not so many people wanted to pay for cheap gags at the cinema, he seems to have fallen off the map since as well, oops.

+Quote this post
lotita
post 11th September 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

i haven't seen ANY movies in the disaster category, but yAAAAAAS at frozen cheer.gif

anything to do with minions shouldve been banned from this

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #4
Group icon
c:

BEST CHARACTER
01. Katniss Everdeen - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2,3)
02. Elsa - Frozen (2,2)
03. Thor - Thor: The Dark World (1,0)
03. Samantha - Her (1,0)
05. Hit Girl - Kick-Ass 2 (0,1)
06. Ralph - Wreck-It Ralph (0,0)

Katniss wins the award for best character from a tough bunch of other nominees, I think everyone can agree Katniss is one of the more interesting characters in recent blockbusters and is portrayed on screen excellently by Jennifer Lawrence. Elsa and Thor settle for silver and bronze twice in just this reveal. I think my favourite character here would have to be Samantha from Her though for managing to build up such a personality from voice alone and also being one of the more thought-provoking roles in recent film history.

BEST HERO
01. Katniss Everdeen - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (3,2)
02. Elsa - Frozen (2,2)
03. Thor - Thor: The Dark World (1,1)
04. Wolverine - The Wolverine (1,0)

So Katniss does the double and Elsa has to settle for two silvers. In terms of best 'hero', I don't think anyone can deny that Katniss stands for justice a lot more than Elsa does so I guess we have a worthy winner. Thor is a pretty great hero too and he picks up the bronze, probably my favourite member of the Avengers team aside from Black Widow.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #5
Group icon
c:

BEST SONG
01. Young and Beautiful - Lana Del Rey (4,2)
02. Let It Go - Idina Menzel (1,3)
03. Sweeter Than Fiction - Taylor Swift (1,1)
04. Do You Wanna Build a Snowman? - Kristen Bell (0,0)
04. For the First Time In Forever (Reprise) - Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell (0,0)

This is a winner that I really was not expecting but in the end Young & Beautiful really wiped the floor, it's one of Lana's best songs imo and a song that took me far too long to discover properly. In second place was the song that I really thought would win, with excellent vocals and one of the catchiest hooks in Disney history, Let It Go rapidly became a phenomenon and the defining tune of Frozen in general which may have been the downfall of the bottom two songs here which seem to have had a hard time. Never listened to Sweeter than Fiction but I'm sure it's cute.

BEST SCENE
01. Elsa setting powers free and Let It Go - Frozen (3,1)
02. Anna and Olaf fire scene - Frozen (1,2)
03. Henley's shark escape - Now You See Me (1,1)
03. Opening scene - Gravity (1,1)

Frozen had a bit of an advantage here with having two nominees out of four and it does indeed manage to get the top two. I'm glad the Let It Go scene won because it really is magical as Idina belts out her tune whilst the ice castle is being built, definitely my favourite scene from the movie. Four very good scenes here, I'm glad Henley's scene got nominated too as that was one of my favourite moments in NYSM, the magic tricks are definitely the most enjoyable parts of those movies, I do hope we get a third.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
c:

BEST DRAMA
01. Her (3,0)
01. Gravity (3,0)

03. The Wolf of Wall Street (0,3)
04. American Hustle (0,2)
05. Prisoners (0,0)

So we have a joint winner here. Her would be my choice for the win for this but Gravity is a nice film too, although perhaps a bit thinner on plot. American Hustle picked up quite a few nominations but hasn't been lucky yet tonight, I think the cast and acting were stronger than the film itself though in the end. Prisoners is a film I keep meaning to watch due to all of its great reviews but I haven't got around to it yet.

BEST SCI-FI/THRILLER
01. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (3,1)
02. Now You See Me (2,1)
03. Gravity (1,2)
04. Her (1,0)
05. Thor: The Dark World (0,2)

Now You See Me was actually winning this for quite a while but Hunger Games pipped it to the post at the last minute to bag yet another award tonight. Although a sci-fi film due to its dystopian world, I do think perhaps Gravity would have been better off winning here as it does shine in its space setting rather than dramatic storyline. Now You See Me is pretty much sci-fi too despite supposedly being explainable magic because some of the tricks end up unexplained laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
c:

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
01. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (3,2)
01. Gravity (3,2)

03. Now You See Me (0,1)
03. Kick Ass 2 (0,1)
05. Thor: The Dark World (0,0)

Another joint winner here! This won I'd probably have given to Gravity as there are some really beautiful shots of space in there and when you think it's all computer generated then it feels even more impressive. However, Hunger Games also has great visual effects used to bring the difficulties in the Hunger Games arena to life from the descriptions in the novels.

BEST SCRIPT
01. Frozen (3,2)
02. Her (3,0)
03. The Wolf of Wall Street (0,3)

Frozen also seems to be having a successful night picking up another award, this time for best script! I think the story of love between two sisters touched a lot of people and was nice to see in a blockbuster film like this but I must say that I do think the script of her is a bit more special and thought-provoking but at least it was close. The Wolf of Wall Street couldn't quite compete but it does have a well-written and rather funny script.

+Quote this post
lotita
post 11th September 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #8
Group icon
feminist icon

JUSTICE FOR ELSA!1111!!!

omg yes at lana!!! wub.gif so surprised it wasnt let it go tho! i'm yet to see her, intruiged now tho seeing as its picking up alot of nominations!1

+Quote this post
lotita
post 11th September 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon
feminist icon

really enjoying the presentation/commentary btw josh!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #10
Group icon
c:

You really should watch Her Lotti, it's a fantastic film. It still has a few good performances to come tonight too so maybe that'll persuade you!!

Speaking of which...

This post has been edited by Josh.: 11th September 2016, 06:24 PM

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #11
Group icon
c:

BEST VOICE PERFORMANCE
01. Scarlett Johansson - Her (3,0)
02. Idina Menzel - Frozen (2,1)
03. Josh Gad - Frozen (1,1)
04. Kristen Bell - Frozen (0,3)
05. John C. Reilly - Wreck-It Ralph (0,1)

I think the Frozen voices may have cancelled each other out which allowed Scarlett Johansson to pick up an award for best voice performance, I wonder how well she'll do later tonight in the supporting actress category against physical acting roles? Scarlett manages to make an A.I. feel like a real, warm and friendly person using her voice in this film so is a deserved winner of this award imo. My other pick would have been Josh Gad actually for making Olaf so joyous and funny, I can't imagine any other voice coming out of him now.

BEST ENSEMBLE
01. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (4,0)
02. American Hustle (2,0)
03. Now You See Me (0,4)
04. Her (0,1)
04. 12 Years a Slave (0,1)
06. Thor: The Dark World (0,0)

Another award for Hunger Games, I sense a theme going on. Hunger Games has a pretty stellar cast full of famous faces pulling off interesting and eccentric characters and does feel like an ensemble film with all the important supporting roles, sometimes you forgot how well played the likes of Effie Trinket and President Snow are. American Hustle also has a very good ensemble and pretty much all of them got nominated for Oscars for their role in the film. NYSM is another film that works very well due to all the cast working together to pull of their final trick of showering money on the crowd.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(PERFECT ILLUSION @ Sep 11 2016, 07:22 PM) *
really enjoying the presentation/commentary btw josh!

at least someone is wink.gif <3

trying to bang out these results as I have plans for an hours time D:

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 11th September 2016, 06:33 PM
Post #13
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Surprised at "Young & Beautiful" but it's definitely one of the more tolerable Lana songs so no complaints. Yass at Katniss beating Elsa twice!

Not sure something like Despicable Me 2 is what I'd consider a 'box office surprise' (well, it did get zero votes in the end..), I thought the first one was already pretty huge?

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #14
Group icon
c:

BEST HORROR
01. You're Next (2,0)
02. The Conjuring (1,0)
03. The Purge (0,2)
04. World War z (0,1)

I don't watch horror because I'm a big scaredy cat but I think World War Z would probably be my favourite because I don't mind zombies so much. However, that came last and instead You're Next came first, I'd never even heard of it before I ran this but I'm sure it's great.

BEST ACTION
01. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (4,1)
02. Thor: The Dark World (1,0)
02. Olympus Has Fallen (1,0)
04. Kick Ass 2 (0,2)

The Hunger Games continues to pick up awards here, I agree with all of you that it was definitely the most action-packed and exciting film of these nominees so no wonder it won by quite a large margin. Thor was an enjoyable movie but seems to get a lot of negative reviews from critics unfortunately.. If Olympus Has Fallen is anything like London Has Fallen, the action gets boring after four minutes and then you're sat thinking what's for dinner before the half way point.

This post has been edited by Josh.: 11th September 2016, 06:37 PM

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #15
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Sep 11 2016, 07:33 PM) *
Surprised at "Young & Beautiful" but it's definitely one of the more tolerable Lana songs so no complaints. Yass at Katniss beating Elsa twice!

Not sure something like Despicable Me 2 is what I'd consider a 'box office surprise' (well, it did get zero votes in the end..), I thought the first one was already pretty huge?

DM2 did increase on the first one by over $400mil worldwide, not bad at all!!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 11th September 2016, 06:39 PM
Post #16
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Surprised Lana beat Let it go but glad it did also yasss Katniss loving ghe presentation and commentary Josh

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #17
Group icon
c:

BEST ANIMATED FILM
01. Frozen (3,0)
02. Monsters University (1,2)
03. Wreck-It Ralph (1,1)
04. Despicable Me 2 (0,2)

This one was an easy one for Frozen I think so no shocks here. All four are pretty great films really but I must say Wreck-It Ralph was my favourite, I loved the world that was created and seeing all the characters of an arcade being brought to life.

BEST COMEDY FILM
01. We're the Millers (3,2)
02. Kick Ass 2 (1,1)
02. This is 40 (1,1)
02. The Heat (1,1)
05. About Time (1,0)
06. The Way, Way Back (0,1)

I've only seen two films here, Kick Ass 2 and This is 40. We're the Millers gets rave reviews all the time so it's good to see it win here. I think I would enjoy The Heat and About Time a lot but I just never get around to watching them,, they must be good films if they've managed to be nominated here though.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 11th September 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #18
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

QUOTE(Josh. @ Sep 11 2016, 07:45 PM) *
I've only seen two films here, Kick Ass 2 and This is 40. We're the Millers gets rave reviews all the time so it's good to see it win here. I think I would enjoy The Heat and About Time a lot but I just never get around to watching them,, they must be good films if they've managed to be nominated here though.

You've seen the two I haven't seen laugh.gif We're The Millers is hilarious, very pleased to see it win but I'd really recommend all four you haven't seen, it was a tough choice between About Time and The Way Way Back for my second preference vote.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #19
Group icon
c:

Must say I've been disappointed with how badly Wreck-It Ralph has done, I'd rank it in my top 3 all-time Disney films now wub.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th September 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #20
Group icon
c:

BEST DIRECTOR
01. Gravity - Alfonso Cuarón (3,1)
02. Her - Spike Jonze (3,0)
03. 12 Years a Slave - Steve McQueen (1,1)
04. American Hustle - David O. Russell (0,2)
04. The Wolf of Wall Street - Martin Scorsese (0,2)

Her was winning this for quite a while but at the last moment, Gravity director Alfonso Cuarón stole the crown. He did manage to find innovative ways to film such tricky concepts of space and for that he deserves the award. However, he'd probably not be my personal top choice as I think Her and 12 Years a Slave felt like much more polished films overall.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 04:09 PM