BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> National Treasure, Drama starring Robbie Coltrane & Julie Walters
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Sep 20 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Inspired by the Jimmy Saville scandal and Operation Yewtree, National Treasure focuses on a fictional comedian, portrayed by Robbie Coltrane, who is loved by the public but is accused of committing rape in the 1990s. It looks at how the events affects both him and his wife, played by Julie Walters, and their mentally unstable daughter. The four part drama is written by Jack Thorne, known for his work on Skins and This Is England. Julie Walters was inspired to play her character as she is intrigued as to why the wifes of those accused in Operation Yewtree often stand by their partners.

I'm very interested in this as I'm fascinated by the relationship between the law and the media, particularly with Operation Yewtree. Whilst it has thankfully led to some successful prosecutions, there have been a number of accusations that have turned out to be false in the eye of the law. Yet, because those accused are famous, the news of their charge becomes a dominant media headline and so people think they're already guilty, even though they have yet to face a trial to determine their guilt. When they are charged, they are still innocent until proven guilty but the media headlines could lead to their careers being damaged. National Treasure raises the issue of whether anonymity should be granted which is a tricky issue as it could also prevent other people from coming forward. It's a fascinating balance/issue for me so I'm looking forward to see how it is portrayed here!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Sep 20 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I saw this advertised and it does look like a very fascinating watch! I usually like my dramas dark and it doesn't get much more so than this.

I wonder if they'll keep the truth of whether he was actually guilty or not until the end, so that the viewers can form their own opinion before finding out.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 20 2016, 10:58 AM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
QUOTE(liamk97 @ Sep 20 2016, 11:33 AM) *
I wonder if they'll keep the truth of whether he was actually guilty or not until the end, so that the viewers can form their own opinion before finding out.

I was thinking that and I hope that they do! I think they will anyway, watching it all with a 'neutral' knowledge allows for a better portrayal and understanding for the issues at stake!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Sep 20 2016, 11:33 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
This looks very good! I'll definitely be watching this.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 4 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #5
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
The first episode didn't grab me as such but the second episode shown last week was incredible! I love how it's very carefully balancing between did he/did he not so perfectly and the scene between Julie Walters and the daughter in the bedroom was incredible. It's brilliantly directed, and quite innovative in that respect. I've noticed that the colouring for the series highlights and focuses on bright and bold colours which I find odd because it's in contrast to the whole darkness of the subject matter but I suppose that's the intention as it makes it more unnerving!

There's part of me that is hoping for an open ending, in that you'll never find out if he is guilty or not as I think that could be more effective.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Oct 11 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #6
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
A very powerful drama indeed, terrific acting from Robbie Coltrane and Julie Walters.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Oct 29 2016, 12:49 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Watched all 4 episodes in one go. Quite dark, quite chilling, quite topical... brilliantly scripted and brilliantly acted. I would actually give this 11/10.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 30 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #8
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Indeed, this was excellently done with the writing, directing, acting and even stuff like the colouring like I mentioned before. The reveal at the end was perfectly done and I'm sure this will sweep up all the relevant awards!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:30 PM