BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's 2017: Week 5, i can be the (#) one // + 10 new entries
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Feb 2 2017, 11:36 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Dua Lipa becomes the third consecutive act to score it three weeks at the top of the tree this week; just as Be The One finds itself reaching new heights on the official chart. Like last week, she’s chased by Lindsey Stirling and Ed, although this week they’ve switched places, Ed reaching a new peak of #2 in his third chart week. It’s one of few Sheeran tracks to reach these heights; I’m not particularly a superfan. Estelle re-peaks at #4 after two weeks at #5, while this week’s #5 goes to highest new entry, the Israeli-French Tal with Slow Down the Flow.

Dreezy and Kronic are new entries into the top 10 this week; the rest are shufflers from last week. New entries to the chart as a whole this week come from Goldfrapp’s long-in-coming comeback single Anymore, 2NE1, Sage the Gemini, JP Cooper, Kid Ink, Shy Girls, Monsieur Adi, The Chainsmokers and Sons of Maria. Fergie’s Life Goes On also re-enters after a seven-week gap and in so doing, re-peaks.

Moving right on, here’s the whole list: the top 40 up to the close of January of 2017:

01 Dua Lipa – Be The One [5-1-1-1]
02 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [8-3-2]
03 Lindsey Stirling ft. Carah Faye - Where Do We Go [37-6-3-2-3]
04 Estelle ft. Rick Ross - Break My Heart [12-5-5-4]
05 Tal - Slow Down the Flow [N]
06 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [14-8-6]
07 Sia - Move Your Body [15-10-7]
08 Prides - Tinseltown in the Rain [16-12-6-8]
09 Kronic ft. Nikki Jean - Dark Shapes [31-13-13-9]
10 Dreezy ft. Jeremih - Body [38-10]
11 London Grammar - Rooting for You [10-7-11]
12 Hydrogen Sea - Beating Heart [24-9-12]
13 Robert Glasper, Erykah Badu - Afro Blue (9th Wonder Remix) [29-11-12-13]
14 Charli XCX ft. Lil Yachty - After the Afterparty [16-14]
15 2NE1 - Goodbye [N]
16 Fergie - Life Goes On [31-27-28-X7-16]
17 Louis Aoki - Just Hold On [5-3-4-4-17]
18 Yall ft. Gabriela Richardson - Hundred Miles [31-22-18]
19 Saint Clair - Heavy on my Heart [24-19]
20 Kriss Kross Amsterdam, Conor Maynard, Ty Dolla $ign - Are You Sure? [38-35-20]
21 KLYMVX ft. Emily Zeck - After Midnight [38-11-16-34-21]
22 The XX - On Hold [29-7-1-1-1-9-35-X1-25-17-22]
23 Glass Animals - Pork Soda [30-27-23]
24 Brookes Brothers ft. Camille - Anthem [32-24]
25 Twenty88 - Selfish [40-20-25]
26 Sister Sledge x Bordertown - Lost in Music [37-31-26]
27 Cardiknox - Into the Night [10-7-6-18-27]
28 Rayvon Owen - Can't Fight It [40-28]
29 Monsieur Adi ft. Vérité - Bad Habits [N]
30 Sage the Gemini - Now and Later [N]
31 JP Cooper - September Song [N]
32 The Chainsmokers - Paris [N]
33 Naked and Famous - Laid Low [21-35-X1-18-34-15-33]
34 Marian Hill - Back to Me [25-13-23-19-34]
35 AK + Veela - Parallel Worlds [37-23-22-17-33-35]
36 Sons of Maria - Take it to the Beat [N]
37 Goldfrapp - Anymore [N]
38 Kid Ink, Mozzy, Bricc Baby & Nef the Pharaoh - In My Way [N]
39 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [37-4-3-2-2-7-25-39]
40 Shy Girls - Trivial Motion [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends - Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (~)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JSG
post Feb 2 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
Hey Jupiter smile.gif

01 Dua Lipa – Be The One [5-1-1-1] Fantastic #1!
02 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [8-3-2] This should be the rightful #1 wink.gif
03 Lindsey Stirling ft. Carah Faye - Where Do We Go [37-6-3-2-3]
06 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [14-8-6] wub.gif
07 Sia - Move Your Body [15-10-7] music.gif I think I prefer the album version laugh.gif
08 Prides - Tinseltown in the Rain [16-12-6-8]
11 London Grammar - Rooting for You [10-7-11]
14 Charli XCX ft. Lil Yachty - After the Afterparty [16-14]
15 2NE1 - Goodbye [N]
16 Fergie - Life Goes On [31-27-28-X7-16]
17 Louis Aoki - Just Hold On [5-3-4-4-17] Love!
18 Yall ft. Gabriela Richardson - Hundred Miles [31-22-18]
20 Kriss Kross Amsterdam, Conor Maynard, Ty Dolla $ign - Are You Sure? [38-35-20]
31 JP Cooper - September Song [N]
37 Goldfrapp - Anymore [N] Brill new song!
39 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [37-4-3-2-2-7-25-39]

excellent chart!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Feb 4 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Cheers JSG! Love the 2NE1 love <3 I will miss them even though we have BlackPink now...

New entry links post coming up shortly!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Feb 4 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Dua Lipa at #1 continues her incredible reinvention with a strong official chart debut for this track. Although originally released in 2015, it's helped now by a (I think) much stronger music video in terms of themes and image. It's also her first song to've really caught me, instead of being something I'd not turn off if it came on.

Outside of new entries, Afro Blue at this week's #13 continues a step-by-step descent that's previously seen it at numbers #12 and #11. The XX's On Hold continues it's second run and it's reign as longest-runner. Closest second Gabrielle Aplin's Miss You comes one place from dropping out this week - but after an impressive 8 straight weeks in the top 40, that's definitely permissible. Kriss Kross Amsterdam's Are You Sure, that I've previously been scathing about, bucks the trend to ascend into this week's top 20.

New entries-wise:

Tal’s Slow Down the Flow (good one for a Tampax ad?) is this week’s highest new entry, smashing straight in at #5 after hovering just outside the top 40 last week. It’s Tal’s chart debut and like Christine’s Tilted from last year, is the English translation of a track originally released in French. Tal’s styling and treatment in the video and on social media suggests she might be gearing up for an international launch later this year after seeing some success in Europe last year. Slightly reggae-influenced pop beats on this one aren’t a million miles away from Rockabye.

From one bye to another, this is the K-pop sensation 2NE1’s final release as a group, a gift to fans, as the three remaining members come to the end of their contracts with record company YG. Lead singer CL is aiming for an international solo career and has already seen some US success, an astounding achievement for a Korean star, and a rapper at that. 2NE1’s last few years have been marred by the departure of a founding member and a drug scandal surrounding second-lead singer Bom, which came just as the group saw their peak success with their 2014 album and singles. This is a slower affair than most of their high-energy, bad-girl-with-a-hear-of-gold releases, but as always is very high quality both production and performance-wise. The mainly-acoustic ballad sees CL taking lead vocals throughout, cementing her coming position as the Beyoncé of the group.

Bless her, VERITE has been trying for a few years now to hit a breakthrough. I liked her first song Weekend – bursting onto the scene as a quirky singer with a quirky hat, on its original release in 2014 – years ago now! - although it was a bit wannabe-Lana-Del-Rey-lite. This trend continued with her further releases, generally seeming like she was trying to be other singers as she experimented with different sounds – or paths to success. As the guest vocalist here with Monsieur Adi – whose Lana remixes, incidentally, I’ve enjoyed in the past – she’s back on form though. The track is pretty on-target going for a modern sound and letting both contributors have their moment, and debuts as this week’s #29, the 3rd highest new entrant this week.

I thought for sure when totting up the chart this week that this was a re-entry; I remember featuring it in my weekly playlist quite a while ago last year; but it seems it didn’t quite make it into the top 40 back then. As such, September Song makes it’s chart debut this January, and is JP Cooper’s second charter following #1 smash Perfect Strangers last year. I don’t like this one anywhere near as much, but it’s not too bad, and it’s good to see a new artist break through.

I was slightly wary of this one going by his last track, but it turned out to be great! It’s taking a lot of influence from Talk Dirty and party R&B-hop crossovers like Post To Be and Keke Palmer’s Hands Free, instead of from purer rap crossovers like Black Beatles and Fake Love. I first came across Sage in a place maybe not many will’ve, alongside Dev (Bass Down Low, Like a G6) on her first attempted comeback with Kiss It.

Chainsmokers’ first new one this year and first charter for moi since Closer. This one goes back to mainly male vocals and has a bit of a sound of Calvin Harris to it. Emily Warren from Capsize also features here, although she’s uncredited.

Goldfrapp’s first single in about 3 years sees the quirky band continuing the pattern of releasing a folk album and an electronic album intermittently. Anymore takes strong influence from the group’s 2003 effort Black Cherry and features singer Alison with a great new fire-red do on the single cover. This doesn’t sound quite like anything in the charts right now; it’s a bit minimalist too, which might be coming back in this year going by recent sounds in both EDM and hip-hop.

Sons of Maria, who I saw earlier in the week in Dobbo’s chart, disabusing me of the notion that this was a brand new act as I had first assumed. A bit of research doesn’t yield a lot; they seem to be an EDM act that also does remixes. They’ve been around for at least three years, and I would hazard that they might be European. This track’s their most popular right now according to LastFM.

Shy Girls are a band I’ve come across briefly before on features but who never quite caught me. They are certainly shy-sounding, but much like Scissor Sisters, don't appear to be girls. If I’m honest a lot of the appeal of this one is simply to fill the ‘indie rock’ sound in my weekly playlists, that I like to follow the format of a radio’s playlist. It’s not bad, by any means, but it’s probably not going to move much higher. Still, I’ve been surprised before!

Kid Ink’s first appearance in a while now is the third of three tracks he’s made into my charts, following 2015’s Be Real featuring DeJ Loaf and 2014’s No Miracles featuring Elle Varner. The heavily-tattooed rapper skips a guest singer here, instead enlisting a bunch of pals who are mainly making their chart debut here. It’s lifted from recently-released mixtape RSS2.

Hope you enjoy some of these tracks! If so - or if not - do let me know, I love comments biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Feb 5 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hi Jupiter

Great to see Castle on the Hill climbing! Maybe it could be the next #1?

Nice to see Slow Down the Flow here as well, it's flying high on my chart as well!

September Songs cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif hope it can climb!

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:22 PM