BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Which country is the worst at Eurovision?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AdamAloud
post 5th February 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
So a discussion on Skype brought forward by R LEX which coincidentally just happened to be during the Swiss national final, which country is your least favourite Eurovision country?

Switzerland have dropped some clangers recently but they did provide moments of brilliance in 'Cool Vibes', 'Vampires Are Alive' and 'Hunter Of Stars', so my vote would have to go to Ireland. Honestly, since the turn of the century, the ONLY entry I've loved is 'Lipstick'. 'Only Love Survives' was tolerable but the rest were all dross.

Interested to see what you guys think!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 5th February 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Not Switzerland, many of their 00s entries were superb and are amongst my favourites. They have a case for the 10s though certainly, dire.

For me it's probably Montenegro. They've had a couple of good entries recently, but they're only really good when compared to the horrors that have come before.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 5th February 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608
It would've been Lithuania until they have had their turnaround since 2015, I'd probably go Montenegro as well - I've only really liked their 2009 entry.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 5th February 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Malta probably...I don't remember them ever winning it or coming close and they usually have the same singer iirc.

This post has been edited by The Wise Sultan: 5th February 2017, 08:17 PM

+Quote this post
LexC
post 5th February 2017, 08:18 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
QUOTE(The Wise Sultan @ Feb 5 2017, 08:16 PM) *
Malta probably...I don't remember them ever winning it or coming close and they usually have the same singer iirc.

WRONG

+Quote this post
LexC
post 5th February 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
There's a few I'm between when it comes to 'the worst'. It's a mix of the United Kingdom, Ireland, 2010s Switzerland, pre-2015 Lithuania and pre-Conchita Austria.

If we're going for as long term as possible (and having sat through all of the 90s stuff as well) then I would probably have to say Austria. There's literally only about 4 or 5 Austrian songs that are above a 7 out of 10 and they've had three of those in the 2010s. Not that the UK/Ireland aren't bad in themselves but we've at least managed to be disappointingly average rather than complete and utter shite.

+Quote this post
Umi
post 5th February 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #7
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
QUOTE(The Wise Sultan @ Feb 5 2017, 08:16 PM) *

Why does attempting to embarrass the citizens of small European nations by pretending they're interchangeable give you pleasure? What did the proud people of Malta do to anger you?

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th February 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I'd probably say Montenegro too, the only one of theirs I liked was Igranka but that was an absolute tune tbf.

+Quote this post
mdh
post 5th February 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
Russia are nearly always a pile of shit. Also Austria.

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post 5th February 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519
Netherlands. They've been in my bottom 5 three years on the bounce now. Poland and Belarus are also woeful.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 5th February 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Oh yes Belarus would've been a good shout but I think Naviband has made us all forget their past messes!

+Quote this post
Alex!
post 5th February 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,983
Montenegro are *almost* always hideous.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th February 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Whenever this question comes up people mention Montenegro and this hurts me because they honestly do not have an entry I dislike and have plenty I love. One of the most consistent even if I'm the only one who thinks that.

It remains Lithuania for me, no other challengers. This Time being tolerable and Eastern European Funk being kinda fun (i.e. the only country I can think of where there is not even one entry I love) were both tiny offerings to go against the YEARS and YEARS of boring shite they've thrown at us. And most of the time it qualifies and knocks more deserving songs out. It's a shame because they have a really interesting history and I'd love to see them do well with a song I like but songs-wise they are the ENEMY for me.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 5th February 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #14
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
Echoing disappointment with Ireland, UK and Switzerland. Especially Ireland. Haven't loved, or even liked a fair bit for that matter, anything properly since Dervish.

Although not exactly terrible per se, Denmark has a special place on my naughty list as well. Their entries are always so BLEURHGHEURHGHUEHG / boring and I usually cannot be bothered.

+Quote this post
Umi
post 5th February 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #15
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
Denmark did come to my mind as well when I tried to think beyond the obvious countries. Their entries aren't usually unlistenable but they still deserve a mention just because of the sheer lack of ambition of their entries. It's easy to avoid being unlistenable when your only goal is avoiding exactly that, and 'Only Teardrops' is one of my least favourite winners in recent years too. I have a Danish friend whose music taste is really dire, and it aligns perfectly with the typical Danish Eurovision entry.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th February 2017, 10:41 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I'm all for a bit of In A Moment Like This as a song but yeah, perhaps New Tomorrow aside, I find that one genuinely rousing, it has all felt a little bit dead behind the eyes.

Their last three entries have been pieces of shite and god knows Anti Social Media should have been appealing to me.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 5th February 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
QUOTE(Umi @ Feb 5 2017, 08:30 PM) *
Why does attempting to embarrass the citizens of small European nations by pretending they're interchangeable give you pleasure? What did the proud people of Malta do to anger you?

Every Maltese entry I remember has just been a rather dull ballad, a lot of them, maybe not all of them sung by the same singer. Maybe it is unfair to pick on Malta as they have a small pool of talent because of their small population.

Denmark's entries have been rather dull too, and so have Iceland's. The only French entry I have ever liked that I remember was the one about the moustache.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 5th February 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'm not often a fan of France's entries but we have to praise them for doing something completely different year after year, I'm not sure there's another country that have such a different set of entries this decade. Montenegro are the same I suppose but they are always much lower quality than France's entries.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 5th February 2017, 11:53 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
United Kingdom

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 6th February 2017, 12:04 AM
Post #20
Group icon
QUOTE(The Wise Sultan @ Feb 5 2017, 11:36 PM) *
Every Maltese entry I remember has just been a rather dull ballad, a lot of them, maybe not all of them sung by the same singer. Maybe it is unfair to pick on Malta as they have a small pool of talent because of their small population.

Denmark's entries have been rather dull too, and so have Iceland's. The only French entry I have ever liked that I remember was the one about the moustache.

Not every Maltese person is Chiara.

But, more importantly, because Malta are only good on occasion and I don't feel like mustering up huge amounts of energy to defend them, keep the hell away from Iceland, they're one of the absolute best!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 07:01 AM