BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> King Charles III, BBC Two | Wednesday at 9pm
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Botchia
post May 7 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #1
I Drink Wine
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Wednesday
21:00
BBC TWO

King Charles III, adapted by Mike Bartlett from his Tony-nominated stage play, is part political thriller, part family drama, and a timely examination of contemporary Britain.

Prince Charles has waited his entire life to ascend to the British throne. But after the Queen's death, he immediately finds himself wrestling his conscience over a bill to sign into law. His hesitation detonates a constitutional and political crisis, and his family start to worry, with William and Kate becoming aware his actions may threaten their future. Meanwhile, an unhappy and frustrated Prince Harry starts a relationship with a 'commoner', just at the moment that the press is looking for a way to attack. With the future of the monarchy under threat, protests on the streets and his family in disarray, Charles must grapple with his own identity and purpose to decide whether, in the 21st century, the British crown still has any real power.

This adaptation retains the daring verse of the original text while fully realising on screen the ambitious scale and spectacle suggested by the play - from Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace to the restless streets of London. Tim Pigott-Smith (Downton Abbey, The Hour) reprises the role of Charles from the acclaimed West End and Broadway production, while Charlotte Riley (Close to the Enemy, Peaky Blinders) stars as Kate Middleton. Olivier award-winner Rupert Goold (The Hollow Crown, True Story) directs. It is produced by Drama Republic, the company behind Golden Globe, Bafta and RTS Award-winning dramas The Honourable Woman, Doctor Foster and An Inspector Calls.

I've been really looking forward to this since it was announced, so hopefully it will be good! Never got round to seeing the play, so I'm glad it seems most of the theatre actors will be starring in this adaptation as well.

It's already been causing controversy recently because it's going to feature Princess Diana's ghost (!) and a scene questioning Harry's paternity.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 7 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Don't you think the "controversy" is an illustration of this thread of yours?

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200562

+Quote Post
Botchia
post May 7 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #3
I Drink Wine
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 7 2017, 10:23 PM) *
Don't you think the "controversy" is an illustration of this thread of yours?

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200562

Possibly, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Palace isn't very happy about this. It's not the first time the Palace has fallen out with the BBC laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 7 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #4
feminist icon (she/her)
Group: Site Empress
Member No.: 21,777
   No Gallery Pics

Oh v intrigued for this ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Mack.
post May 7 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #5
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Probably won't be the last time we hear about the controversy around this.

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post May 9 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

Yup, I'll be checking this out! Diana's ghost...yikes. How on earth are they gonna go about it sensitvely filming that? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Botchia
post May 12 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #7
I Drink Wine
   No Gallery Pics

It's starts off a bit slow, but when it gets going it's very good ohmy.gif Very interesting premise, and I was actually team Charles which I didn't expect haha! Charles coming into Parliament to dissolve them was a great shock moment.

I wasn't that keen on the Harry storyline, whilst it was fun, it just felt really unrealistic. As if all those people he spoke to wouldn't recognise him, at least after a while of thinking. And running around in the night in the middle of riots is hardly the best idea :/

My favourite was Kate tho, I love how she was pulling all the strings laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 12 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #8
feminist icon (she/her)
Group: Site Empress
Member No.: 21,777
   No Gallery Pics

this was really good! i really enjoyed the writing for it (especially charles and kates separate monologue scenes) and of course kate was absolutely fabulous. i just wish they forgot about the harry storyline and focused on the constitutional crisis more. i thought the ghost of diana was also used really effectively

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:17 PM