BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Darkest Hour, 12/01/18 | Gary Oldman, Ben Mendelsohn, Kristin Scott Thomas
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 12th July 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Trailer dropping tomorrow!! I have Oldman down as the Best Actor winner this year so I'm excited to finally see some footage. It's directed by Joe Wright (also the director of Atonement, Pride & Prejudice and Anna Karenina).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 14th July 2017, 07:12 AM
Post #2
Group icon
c:

Does look quite baity, I'm not sure if the subject matter completely appeals to me but it looks like a decent film. I probably should know more about Churchill than I do so I'm excited to find out more, I guess. It's hard not to Oldman in awards contention after seeing this trailer, it's definitely a big transformation (he looks completely unrecognisable!!). Plus, Kristin Scott Thomas seemed to get a fair bit of coverage in the trailer too so perhaps she could get a coat-tail nomination if the film is a big awards hit?!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 18th January 2018, 12:14 AM
Post #3
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

This had some amusing moments and I was enjoying it to begin with but I lost interest quite quickly. Gary Oldman was very good but I'm going to be annoyed when he beats Timothee Chalamet because if there's one awards movie this year that feels like it was made purely to win Oscars, this is it. And I get that it was part of the character, but it's no good for the audience when I was struggling to understand him at times due to mumbling laugh.gif

The scene near the end on the Underground was both iconic and dreadful because supposedly being on the District line didn't fit with how deep below ground they looked to be kink.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 28th January 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
c:

I'd agree with Jack that I appreciated how amusing it was (I certainly wasn't expecting it to have as many laughs as it did, it almost reminded me of Stephen Frears films at times with the sense of humour) but I really lost interest towards the end. I'm not a history buff at all so I was never going to love this but by the third act, I was really struggling to stay entertained. The Underground scene was just silly too, the movie makes it seem like the reason why Churchill didn't surrender to Hitler is because he talked to some random people on a train. It was also a really long scene and threw of the pacing entirely and the film never recovered after that for me.

Gary Oldman had a brilliant transformation here (a lot of that is down to the make-up, of course, but that's not to take away from his performance which was very impressive too. I never once felt like I was watching Gary Oldman on-screen.) but it definitely feels like he's going to win the Oscar for the MOST acting rather than the BEST acting. Timmy Chalamet really should be walking away with that but Oldman's overdue narrative is just too strong cry.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th February 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Very good film. A few scenes were made-up for the sake of drama and were unnecessary, a few facts shuffled about. Gary Oldman deserves to win an Oscar for his central performance. 8/10

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 25th March 2018, 05:00 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Just saw this lastnyt and its brillant, alot more politically centred than i thought it would be - basically shows how hard making a decision is for a politican.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 08:01 AM