BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buzzjack CD Swap #6: REVIEWS, all reviews done yay!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post Aug 16 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #1
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

OK, 14 of you have compiled CDs so time to move on to the next stage - the actual reviews. I am in the process of sending these out, once you've received your one, please post in the thread stating the CD you have received and if it's working (and get in touch with me if the link stops working at any point during the process ;o)

- So, the next stage is a simple review of the compilation you receive, you can do it in whatever way you want but what I ask is that you score each song out of 10 (or whatever scoring system you choose to use) and write at least one word about each song and obviously we encourage you to write more~

- DON'T reveal who has got your CD or the tracklisting until the review has been posted, then reveal yourself. If you like the sound of another CD that's been posted, just ask and myself or the compiler will happily send you the link (even if you're not taking part)! Just don't post the link in the thread as we may get busted etc.~

- Use this thread for discussion of the CDs, certain tracks you're enjoying, nagging people to hurry up etc. (kink.gif)

- People traditionally take ages to do this, so you have a whole month until September 24th 23:59 where all reviews must be in. Reviews are compulsory for all participants and while there isn't any punishment for not doing so, I will be keeping on top of these and sending out reminders etc. I get that we all have lives, but the whole process should only take a couple of hours and it's a bit of a slap in the face to the creator who took the time to make it. Ofc. if this does happen, anyone is free to volunteer to review that person's CD instead, but hopefully we won't need to resort to that.

A full list of participants so you can have a guess at whose you have (these were all assigned randomly so I take no responsibility for any taste clashes~):

Chez Wombat
UltraRedLight
Cal
Iz~
Lindsey
Capybréra
Cherry
Frankluck
danG
dandy*
Harve
360Jupiter
Floater
RabbitFurCoat

I think that should be all, happy listening guys and hopefully you'll all find at least something you didn't expect to love from this~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Aug 16 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #2
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Much excite!

I think I'll take mine on my walk tomorrow or Friday... apologies in advance to whoever gets mine, it is not my best effort!

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 16 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry I couldn't fathom the complex process, I had the tracklist ready but that's about it.

Have fun guys! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Aug 16 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #4
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

You all should have a link now! Post the title in here just so I know it's working and everything, I'd advise you download it very soon just in case it's taken down/expired

I have 'Truffle Shuffle' which I'm interested to listen to ;o (I know who I've got obvs, but I'll play along dw~)

QUOTE(ⓐⓦⓐⓡ^ @ Aug 16 2017, 10:38 PM) *
Sorry I couldn't fathom the complex process, I had the tracklist ready but that's about it.

Have fun guys! biggrin.gif

Sorry sad.gif If you're interested in any of these CDs, just ask!

(I pinned this if the mods don't mind, just to keep it from falling too far down the page at least initially)

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Aug 16 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #5
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Oh it's here! I have Days Of Thunder downloading right now, I wonder what that'll sound like. It's a promising title, at least.

+Quote Post
lotita
post Aug 16 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #6
feminist icon (she/her)
Group: Site Empress
Member No.: 21,777
   No Gallery Pics

I'm hyped for emotional rollercoaster *.*

+Quote Post
Cal
post Aug 16 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,964
   No Gallery Pics

I got 'CD Swap'! Will have a listen at the weekend. Hyped! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Brer
post Aug 16 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #8
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I have 'no_despacito.zip' - dammit I was hoping 'Despacito' would be on there!!

Gonna try and have a listen to this over the weekend (in which case Jade will get to hear it as well lawl)

Also feeling like I probably should have made my CD a bit longer, this one is only barely below the max length, didn't realise people were gonna make them this long! Oops

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 16 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #9
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

I have Perhaps Missed, Perhaps Forgotten *.*

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Aug 17 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #10
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I have 'High OST' and lordy that's a big file! Intrigued to see what's on it.

+Quote Post
RabbitFurCoat
post Aug 17 2017, 05:40 AM
Post #11
IncredibleSquirrel
Member No.: 118
   No Gallery Pics

I have The Wonders of Essos. Probably be the beginning of September when I post a review, going on holiday just after the bank holiday so plenty of listening time whilst travelling!

+Quote Post
Harve
post Aug 17 2017, 06:34 AM
Post #12
Cœur poids plume
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

I got CDSwap6!

+Quote Post
FrankLuck
post Aug 17 2017, 07:32 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 10,284
   No Gallery Pics

I got '13 songs', already had a short preview and I'm pretty happy dance.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Aug 17 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Got mine and have downloaded it... it doesn't have a title but has 27 tracks if that helps the compiler know I've got theirs! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Aug 17 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #15
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

...and I'm pretty certain I know whose this is - I chose to open track 27 first and it may just give it away! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Harve
post Aug 18 2017, 05:07 AM
Post #16
Cœur poids plume
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

Hello I have insomnia and woke up after 2 hours of sleep this morning, many hours before I need to be awake so I've tried to be productive and get me review out of the way. x

1. A lazy tempo, insistence on vocal harmonies, ad libs all over the place, lyrics made of 100% cheese. All of these are positive qualities that every R&B track should aspire to have. This track sounds like an amalgamation of everything that is late 90s, which would be why it sounds so familiar and yet I'm sure I've not heard it before. Oh and it's catchy as hell. A very solid start! 8

2. Other than an energetic beat with some interesting sounds going on underneath, this is electronica-tinged indie rock by numbers. That kind of band you'd see during a 5pm Sunday afternoon slot at a festival. It sounds very polished though. 6.5

3. Female singer-songwriter making faintly noughties-sounding pop-rock, thankfully more in a Sara Bareilles way than an Avril Lavigne way. It's still not something I'd normally listen to as the genre ain't my thing. But don't worry: it's not you, it's me. The track itself is actually fairly interesting and there's a lot going on. 7

4. More radio-friendly indie rock. It's not really groundbreaking but it's actually quite a lovely track with loads of instruments. 7

5. Ah! I recognised this immediately but I had to rack my brain to remember who exactly it was. This is The-Dream - Walkin' On The Moon. An accomplished songwriter and producer who, many times, almost made it big as an artist in his own right but never quite got there. I had a soft spot for back in the day. My favourite tracks were 'Yamaha' and 'F.I.L.A.', which are also from his 'Love...' trilogy. This track is great, and although it sounds dated today, it sounds like a much bigger hit than it actually was. Oh and Kanye kills his verse. Definitely my favourite so far. 8.5

6. We've gone full 80s pop (although I presume it was released later) and I have no qualms with this. Male vocals with a rap verse. This is a jam. Funky and groovy. I'll definitely be listening to this again. *.* 9

7. This sounds like a melancholic version of HAIM. It's nice enough but it's a bit of a comedown compared to the juicy trilogy above. ^ 6

8. Pop-rock. Her voice is sickly sweet which contrasts well with the gritty guitars. Like #7, it's nice enough but if I had to describe it using an emoji it would be this: smile.gif 5

9. This is rock proper. The longest track on the CD at 5:42 and it has a riff going right the way through the song's various sections. It's basically the Smashing Pumpkins but with female vocals. I approve! 7

10. An intrumental rock track, although honestly it's not terribly interesting and you could easily put vocals on top of it. It's a nice pause given that the previous track is full of energy. 5

11. Country! The first third is instrumental and then out comes these female vocals with a distinctive southern drawl. It then crescendoes into a chorus for the last third. 6

12. I had to listen to this multiple times simply to be able to describe it as it's quite banal. Folksy female vocals. Probably qualifies as indie rock. It would've been nice to have something a little more climactic as the final track though. This doesn't really go anywhere. </3 4

Bonus track: This is a mashup mainly consisting of Dizzee Rascal - Sirens (from the glorious period where I would know every single track that hit the UK top 40) but inserts ad libs from all sorts of songs, some I can name (Killing In The Name, Papa Roach's Last Resort, Run DMC's It's Like That), some I only recognise and some I've never heard before. It works! 6.5

I liked this CD! My favourites were #1, #5, #6. A lot of the rest was radio-friendly pop rock or alt rock music whereas the rock music I enjoy has a Pitchfork-friendly indie slant (it's impossible to phrase this without sounding like a dickhead). So I tried to take this into account as this isn't the compiler's problem! Certainly there weren't any absolute duds, and none of it sounded particularly current and the one track I did know is a forgotten track that was never particularly acclaimed in the first place, so I imagine this is a selection of the user's personal favourite tracks spread out over a lifetime. And some inspired choices have been dug out: even though tracks such as #3 or #11 aren't necessarily my thing, I can definitely see how they would be part of someone's best of list.

I've got no idea who made this. I would guess Iz were it not for the R&B inserts, or maybe Liam, were it not for the obscure-sounding tracks that are most likely too old for someone my age or younger to know. It's seems USA-centric. I don't think the user is from UK and is probably quite a bit older than me.

edit: I didn't realise we were obliged to use scores. I've added them in.

This post has been edited by Harve: Aug 18 2017, 03:06 PM

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Aug 20 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #17
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I'm about 3/4 through my review/listenthrough. Great to read that one we've had already!

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Aug 20 2017, 05:01 PM
Post #18
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

That isn't mine though I'm sure I'd appreciate knowing what the rock tracks on there are. Sounds like a well-made CD.

+Quote Post
danG
post Aug 20 2017, 05:20 PM
Post #19
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I've got an album titled Pussy Power with 10 tracks on it.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Aug 20 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #20
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

What ees theez?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:06 PM