BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Singles Rate: Results, look what you made us do
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Aug 27 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

27 rates for 35 songs, but what is Buzzjack's favourite Taylor Swift single? Found out over the next few days here ohmy.gif

Some teasers:

- The winning song had an average just 0.01 higher than the second placed song ohmy.gif
- The bottom 5 songs all had averages between 5 and 6.
- No song received more than 2 -1s.
- There are three pairs of ties, the highest being within the top 5.

Get predicting, results start v soon *.*
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Aug 27 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
Love Story and Shake It Off top 2, although I think SIO got some low scores but I can't really think what else could be so high, maybe YBWM? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 27 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
"The winning song had an average just 0.01 higher than the second placed song" - this surprises me, I thought 'Blank Space' was not only going to win but also be a runaway winner at that. I guess I was just noticing a fair amount of 11s for it. Exciting ohmy.gif

'I Knew You Were Trouble.' to somehow scrape top 5 even despite the -1s it got please.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Aug 27 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
I predict a Wildest Dreams win.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Aug 27 2017, 10:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Aug 27 2017, 11:10 PM) *
I predict a Wildest Dreams win.

Wildest Dreams would be a great surprise winner! Definitely a highlight on '1989' for me. wub.gif

Didn't take part in this as I know so little of her singles pre-Red and somehow I didn't even see it until like two days before lmao but backing 'Style' to win, such a gem <3

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 27 2017, 11:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
35th The Last Time (ft. Gary Lightbody) 5.46

UK peak: #25
US peak: #103
Highest score: 10 (Bre, Chez)
Lowest score: -1 (Liam, UltraReputation)

The song that both mods rated -1 finishes last, thanks for appeasing us guys wink.gif This is just SUCH a drainingly boring song and never ever should have been a single imo, her second worse song behind Never Grow Up. It managed a top 40 peak because of an X Factor performance. The song itself is a ballad with alternative rock influences that describes a vicious cycle of a relationship that is constantly about to break but never quite cracks.

34th Tim McGraw 5.50

UK peak: N/A
US peak: #40 (Platinum)
Highest score: 9 (UltraReputation)
Lowest score: -1 (Cameron)

This song was one of two songs not to receive any 10s! In 2006, this song burst onto the scene as Taylor's debut single, and was a top 40 pop hit and a #6 on the country chart. It's typical of her first album, a sweet and competent enough country track but nothing special or dynamic. It's probably about in the right place as it is one of her weaker singles for me. Lyrically, this song details a summer romance that ends, and the things Taylor hopes will remind the ex of her and make him think of the good times they had.

33rd I Don't Wanna Live Forever (ZAYN & Taylor Swift) 5.63

UK peak: #5 (Platinum)
US peak: #2 (3x Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (UltraReputation)
Lowest score: 0 (Dobbo, Mack)

The most recent single in this rate is one of hte lowest! This was a release in late 2016 for 50 Shades Of Grey, and in fitting with the movie it is a sensual R&B tinged electro ballad. This isn't a style that really fits Taylor a huge amount but I do like this song, I think it should be a bit higher although it isn't one I go back to a huge amount.

32nd Today Was A Fairytale 5.79

UK peak: #57
US peak: #2 (Platinum)
Highest peak: 10 (all is vanity, Spadam)
Lowest score: 1 (bre)

Next to bow out is a soundtrack single that was released just rior to Speak Now, for the film Valentine's Day. This is one of those song there isn't mjuch to say about it, it's nice and all but doesn't at all hold up to much of her material. Lyrically, the song makes use of princess imagery painting an instance of spending time with a boy as a "fairytale".

31st Everything Has Changed (ft. Ed Sheeran) 5.90

UK peak: #7 (Gold)
US peak: #32 (Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (Harry)
Lowest score: -1 (Joe)

The final song of this pre top 30 batch is another collab, this time with omnipresent ginger Ed Sheeran. This gets a bit too much hate imo, it's a cute litttle duet but it wouldn't have been a single if the duet was with someone else laugh.gif This folk pop song portrays a new romance that feels good and all of the excitement that comes with getting to fall in love with someone as they unravel within the relationship, and it was a solid hit as the 4th single from Red.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Aug 27 2017, 11:52 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454
Surprised that I Don't Wanna Live Forever and Today Was a Fairytale are that low.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 27 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Aww 'The Last Time' should definitely not be last </3 It clicked with me straight away when they duetted it on X Factor. A shame to see 'Everything Has Changed' out so quickly as well from the Red era, it's a lovely song with a really sweet accompanying video. Then 'I Don't Wanna Live Forever' too! BJ clearly not a fan of her duets with males laugh.gif I usually like ZAYN but his falsetto was quite off-putting in that song tbh.

'Tim McGraw' and 'Today Was a Fairytale' aren't big losses for me at least

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 28 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #9
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
No surprises here, 'The Last Time' is pretty bland though, but do have a soft spot for 'Tim McGraw' which is nice enough and harmless debut single from her humble beginnings.

'I Don't Wanna Live Forever' was pretty dire though, and the others here are just a bit MEH.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Aug 28 2017, 11:09 PM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 28 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Justice for IDWLF </3 </3 so underrated! I love Taylor's vocals and it is a fab ballad <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 28 2017, 11:10 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Yasss at that rubbish finishing last though cheer.gif

TIAF & EHC probs deserve their positions and I'd have Tim McGraw a bit higher but I can't say I'm shocked at that being so low!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 29 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
30th White Horse 6.37

UK peak: #67
US peak: #13 (2x Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (Liam)
Lowest score: 2 (John James)

The first huge loss for me sad.gif This beautiful song was the follow up to Love Story in the US, and peaked at #13 as well as winning a Grammy for Taylor's tender vocals made all the mroe raw by stark simple production to emphasise the pain and emotion. In stark contrast to Love Story, the lyrics of White Horse have a more realistic and bleak outlook to relationships - they aren't always fairytales and percection. The narrator realises that a boy is not the Prince charming she has hyped him up to be. I can't believe I was the only 10 for this sad.gif

29th Both Of Us (B.o.B. ft. Taylor Swift) 6.38

UK peak: #22
US peak: #18 (Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (Jonjo, Cameron)
Lowest score: 0 (blacksquare)

Another collab bows out now, this time a featre from Taylor on a B.o.B song. It was nice to hear Taylor alongside a rapper on this conscious hip-hop track that deals with themes of racism and bulying and rising above them. Taylor's chorus is lovely and the rap is solid but this isn't a HUGE fave for me, at least she collabed with B.o.B before he decided he was a flat earther who espouses hat 9/11 was an inside job and the moon landing was staged, I suppose laugh.gif

28th Picture To Burn 6.40

US peak: #28 (2x Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (Liam, SamJudd, Swiftie)
Lowest score: 1 (John James)

Another big loss sad.gif Not to everyone's taste I undestand, but I adore the playful sass in this track which perfectly suits the instrumentation, Taylor's voice and the lyrics. After two sweet love songs and a nice sad ballad, this was our first taste of angry Swift, but she angled it in a playful way, no Jagged Little Pill ness from her yet kink.gif

27th Sweeter Than Fiction 6.50

UK peak: #45
US peak: #34
Highest score: 10 (UltraReputation, Spadz)
Lowest score: 2 (Cameron)

Sam will be happy at this Sweeter Than Fiction avoided bottom 5 ohmy.gif Hpnestly this is the Taylor song I've probably listened to least, it's onl soundtrack single and is nothing spectacular although I do prefer it to say Today Was A Fairytale. This new-wavey song was released in conjunction with the film One Chance, a biopic about Paul Potts (film goals x), and hardly set the charts alight by her standards. It's a light bop and I should probably go back to more, but I just don't :/

26th Our Song 6.64

US peak: #18 (4x platinum)
Highest score: 9.5 (UltraReputation)
Lowest score: 1 (blacksquare)

Finishing up this section is another single from the self titled, so only Teardrops and Should've Said No remain. This is yet again a sweet little country ditty about a happy relationship, with the lyrics portraying a couple who an't find their "song" so replace it with everyday little pleasures in life. The song was a huge US success but of course didn't chart here in the UK. I do love this but I think it's probably about right, I'd maybe have it 2 or 3 places higher idk. It's getting far too hard to order and say what should go where as I'm such a blind stan!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 29 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Alone and wounded
'Both Of Us' is my favourite out of that bunch! I expected that to be a top 10 smash here at the time but it only ended up peaking at #22 with 3 weeks in the top 40! Mess

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 29 2017, 12:57 AM
Post #14
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
WH/PTB/OS are probs exactly where I'd put them with The latter maybe a couple of places higher! Both of us should be bottom five as well

YASSSS AT SWEETER THAN FICTION cheer.gif thought it would be locked on for bottom five so I'm glad it did pretty well here. The most underrated Taylor track and I legit saw the Paul Potts film just to hear the song played in the credits!!! <3

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 29 2017, 01:21 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Aug 29 2017, 01:57 AM) *
I legit saw the Paul Potts film just to hear the song played in the credits!!! <3

Omg queen

Why am I screaming LMAOOO

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Aug 29 2017, 04:23 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
Fml I thought I had voted. Wildest Dreams to win.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 30 2017, 12:18 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
25th Fifteen 6.72

US peak: #23 (2x Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (Riser)
Lowest score: 3 (blacksquare)

The first Fearless single to bow out is not a surprise really, it's ballad Fifteen. This is a sweet and relatable song for sure, as Taylor sings about all the silly little things that make up your life at school, and that you soon realise they don't dictate your whole life so don't get swallowed up by them. I really do like this track especially for its lyrical content, but I wouldn't put it much higher than this for sure (this will be the point where I start saying everything should be higher so feel free to ignore my comments of this ilk kink.gif

24th Safe & Sound (ft. The Civil Wars) 6.85

UK peak: #67
US peak: #30 (2x Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (UltraReputation, Liam, Iz, Swiftie)
Lowest score: -1 (Bre)

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTT. This beautiful song should easily be top 20 sad.gif Imo this is one of her best vocal performances, so haunting in all its simplicity and folky production <3 It fits so well within The Hunger Games (the movie it was written for) and could easily have slotted onto either Speak Now or Red. The lyrics portray the heroine Katniss' feelings of love and compassion for various characters in the film. Ffs Bre giving it -1, at least Jade propped it up with a 9 (#BradeAreNotTheSamePerson :kink).

23rd Eyes Open 6.94

UK peak: #70
US peak: #19 (Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (Iz, Swiftie, JohnJames, Riser)
Lowest score: 2 (Blacksquare)

Another song from the same movie follows S&S, with a slightly higher average. Personally I don't feel this is as good as S&S by any means but it's still a great song. This has a more rocky sound to it, sounding fuller and quite epic, with the lyrics representing Katniss' cautious relationship with the Capitol in the film. This sound really suits Taylor so I was glad to see it explored again on Red with the epic opener State Of Grace.

22nd Begin Again 7.00

UK peak: #30
US peak: #7 (Platinum)
Highest score: 10 (Swiftie, JohnJames)
Lowest score: 4 (blacksquare)

A return to country after a huge pop single, Begin Again was acclaimed by critics, particularly for the lyrics. This ballad speaks of a love that restores the narrator's faith after a string of failures that ended in heartbreaks. This is a perfect classic Taylor song, writing about such a simple thing as someone finally making you feel happy and making it feel magical and capturing the feeling perfectly in a way that anyone can relate to and almost feel it for themselves. I always love this song so much more than I realise and tbh I probably undersold it in my rate but oh well that would've probably pushed the next song even lower laugh.gif

21st We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together 7.07

UK peak: #4 (Platinum)
US peak: #1 (6x Platinum)
Highest score: 11 (Joseph, Spadam, Mack)
Lowest score: -1 (Shaphne, Chez)

Biggest shock of the rate imo, one of Taylor's biggest hits and the one that launched her to pop superstardom misses the top 20 ohmy.gif Released in 2012, this put to bed Taylor's country career by bursting onto the scene in a cloud of twangy guitars and sass, with Taylor defiantly dismissing an ex who wwants to give things another go. I can see why some wouldn't be a fan of this, as it has a sort of... childish (for want of a better word) chanted chorus, and a bubblegum pop sound. I personally love it but with Max Martin behind it it was hard to go wrong! This was her first US #1 and also went top 5 in the UK, becoming her second platinum single here, and the rest of course is history as she's now one of the biggest stars in the world.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Aug 30 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
I really can't at WANEGBT finishing so low :/
Would have liked to see Begin Again surprise finish top 15 but that seems about right for it.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 30 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #19
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
I'm legit still shocked at WANEGBT missing the top 20. cry.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 30 2017, 12:30 AM
Post #20
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Begin Again & Fifteen are probs a bit too high for me, I wouldn't have minded either finishing bottom five. I'd also have Eyes Open a few place slower as well probably though I adore that!

Safe & Sound heart.gif heart.gif Such an incredible song and it really deserves to be top 20 here sad.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:15 PM