Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top of the Pops on BBC4
BuzzJack Music Forum > General Discussion > Throwback
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Suedehead2
As the last thread was almost up to 50 pages the move into 1985 seems to be a good time to start a new thread.

The regular Story Of and clips show were shown last night (I haven't seen them yet) and the first 1985 repeat is on Friday. The good news is that Friday's early evening show is the full 40 minutes. Whether that is a permanent change remains to be seen.
fiesta
watched the story of 1985, didnt realise Holding out for a hero was released in 1984, just checked it was released in April 1984 and didnt chart until August 1985, without a reissue- so it took 16 months to chart that must be a record..

as for Dead Or alive I have found a Big Ben Mix, Performance mix and a Murder mix...but no TDF mix? funny story though
TheSnake
So many songs I like from from 1985 just from looking at the top 10 singles of the year. Tarzan Boy is probably my favourite of the top 10 hits from the year!
Steve201
Why was there 2 episodes of totps 1981 on BBC 4 tonight??

Are we officially having one episode per week now or two? I assume Mike Smith introduces a lot of episodes this year? So we miss out on the final months of Peter Powell? sad.gif
King Rollo
They've been showing 1981 episodes all week. A bit of spare airtime to fill I suppose. I think 1985 episodes will only be on Friday nights.
Steve201
Good so they must be only showing one a week and we will hopefully get a full year, although I'm aware there's a lot of Mike episodes this year. I was quite surprised to see a clip of him in The Story of last week!
house.martin
Was in two minds about following TOTP from 1985 onwards.
I started to find a fair bit of pop music that came out from 1985 onwards, to be somehow less exciting. I don't know why, I can't quite put my finger on it. And it seemed to happen almost overnight.
Perhaps it's just me huh.gif
King Rollo
It's not just you. 1979 to 1984 was the golden era for top 40 music. While the rest of the 80s were still very good,there was less innovation.
Steve201
I know what you mean - the beats just got harder as the years went by, but there still life in it yet.

Watched a 1981 episode this week and the changes in the studio were huge in just 4 years!
Suedehead2
Yes, the TOTP repeats are back and were are in to 1985. As a special treat we get the full 40-minute version this evening. John Peel gets the new year started along with Richard Skinner.

Smiley Culture gets things under way. A later encounter with a police officer proved more controversial.

The first part of the chart rundown already. Apparently we will be told why soon.

Up next is Sal Solo, away from Classix Nouveaux with a rather lovely single.

Second bit of the chart. Oh, now we get clips from the whole of the top ten - by popular demand apparently. What a shame it starts with a dirge from Foreigner.

The rundown pauses at number nine for the whole of Paul Young’s song. He’s on again later.

Tears For Fears time now as they are at number eight. Not their best song by any means, but still a good ‘un.

Back to top ten clips with Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Ray Parker Jr.

From the (relatively) sublime to the ridiculous with The Toy Dolls at number five. The word trump has a rather different meaning now.

Next up is Madonna at number four. Like a virgin? I’m not convinced. I think we’d soon get bored of a modern- day TOTP devoting most of the programme to the top ten today.

Clip time again with The Frog Chorus.

Here’s the cunning part of Wham’s double a-side ploy. Now that Christmas is over, they can just play the other side. You know, the one everybody has forgotten.

Not content with breaking all sorts of records, Band Aid are still number one.

We play out with Grandmaster Melle Mel and the Furious Five. I wonder if they’ve calmed down by now.
TheSnake
QUOTE(King Rollo @ Jan 12 2018, 02:36 PM) *
It's not just you. 1979 to 1984 was the golden era for top 40 music. While the rest of the 80s were still very good,there was less innovation.

I do think there was innovation certainly in pop looking at the chart archives, any cheesy dated sounding tracks from the early 80s such as the Bucks Fizz type stuff had gone and there was more sensible tracks like If I Was, Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Tarzan Boy, Don't You Forget About Me etc.

Then of course in about two years or so the Stock Aitken Waterman cheesefest would begin sad.gif But the early songs they produced like 'You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)' are good.

There seems to be less electronic dance tracks than 1984 though in the chart which is disappointing, although there was arguably the danciest song up to that time to make the chart at the end of the year with 'Hit That Perfect Beat'.

Electronic music innovators Depeche Mode also seemed to away from electronic dance and more towards indie later in 1985 too.
Steve201
We skip 10/1/85 and next week have 17/1/85 - think there will be a lot of this in 1985 due to Mike Smith unfort - has DLT totally left by this stage?
King Rollo
I do like that Sal Solo song. I wonder how many of the boys choir were watching themselves last night. They would be in their 40s now.
TheSnake
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jan 12 2018, 11:17 PM) *
We skip 10/1/85 and next week have 17/1/85 - think there will be a lot of this in 1985 due to Mike Smith unfort

Why can't they just cut out the Mike Smith bits and just show the performances without introduction.
Steve201
They showed a Mike Smith clip in the story of last week as well which makes it stranger. By all accounts there's a lot in 1985 with him in it!
Suedehead2
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jan 14 2018, 03:43 PM) *
They showed a Mike Smith clip in the story of last week as well which makes it stranger. By all accounts there's a lot in 1985 with him in it!

I assume that is not covered by the rules governing repeats - in the same way that they were able to show clips of his work when he died.
King Rollo
There are two episodes this week,one on Thursday,one on Friday.
Steve201
That'll speed things up along with the missing episodes we could still do two years this week!
fiesta
Cant believe skinner said springsteen was usa's answer to russ abbott!
Suedehead2
QUOTE(fiesta @ Jan 26 2018, 08:28 PM) *

I think (hope) it was just a feeble attempt at John Peel-like humour.. Hard too believe looking at them that Abbot is only two years older than Springsteen (almost to the day).
Brett-Butler
QUOTE(fiesta @ Jan 26 2018, 09:28 PM) *

I laughed out really loudly at that line!
Mack.
That is one very unlikely comparison. Made me laugh out loud there.
Steve201
Anyone ever heard that song in the 1985 top 5 Close by Art of Noise? Pretty good, haven't heard it before but sounds early House?!
Suedehead2
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jan 28 2018, 11:28 PM) *
Anyone ever heard that song in the 1985 top 5 Close by Art of Noise? Pretty good, haven't heard it before but sounds early House?!

Yes, I remember it very well from the time. Hearing it again in 2018 certainly shows it to be ahead of its time.
Steve201
Hard to define and as you say really unique for back then! You know a genre was becoming old when Russ Abbot releases a single like Atmosphere which sounds like a Hi NRG track from 18 months previous!!
TheSnake
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jan 28 2018, 11:28 PM) *

Close to the Edit? I don't think its quite house (it doesn't have enough of a beat to it) but like Paul Hardcastle's 19 it kind of paved the way for more underground sounding electronic dance tunes to become hits later in the decade.

I was reading recently that the early house producers in the UK went for a different sound with sampling instead of the soulful vocals of house in America so it actually seems possible they were inspired by stuff like Close To The Edit and 19.

Another electronic dancey song that sounds ahead of its time on terms of production imo that made the charts in 1985 is Depeche Mode - Its Called A Heart. I really like Depeche Mode's industrial music phase, they should have continued with it a bit longer rather than going alternative rock imo.
King Rollo
I bought the cassette single of Close (To The Edit) by Art Of Noise at the time which was 20 minutes of different mixes of the song all segued together to make a continuous piece of music. It still sounds incredible today.
Steve201
Yeh Close (To the Edit) - def sounds like house or early house as it's hard to define what it is as there seems to be a move away from Hi-NRG which defined late 83/84 and the New Romantics just became pop from 1983 onwards. Of course Hi-NRG still dominated with You spin me round next week but it was for more no1 pop artists whereas the random artists were more experimental like Art of Noise!
TheSnake
it's hard to define what it is as there seems to be a move away from Hi-NRG which defined late 83/84
The Communards (and the Pet Shop Boys with It's A Sin) kept with the HI-NRG sound of course until 1987 though, even as a few of the early house hits were occasionally making the charts ahead of the main trend in 1988. Also in early 1987 is a HI-NRG hit by Man 2 Man (Male Stripper), the lyrics are awful but the production is actually very good!

Of course Hi-NRG still dominated with You spin me round next week but it was for more no1 pop artists

Its interesting because Hi-NRG was still around a bit in the charts as late as 1989 with The London Boys, Kon Kan and also Erasure's Drama. So the dominance of house didn't completely kill it off.

As for 1985, apart from Dead or Alive's songs, HI-NRG strangely didn't really make the charts much compared to 1984 although Bronski Beat still provided the dancier HI-NRG with Hit That Perfect Beat at the end of 1985. As for Dead Or Alive, Spin Me Right Round and Someone In My House are the danciest sounding of their songs I would say.

HI-NRG would eventually become mostly more poppified and cheesy towards the end of the decade especially in the Stock Aitken and Waterman productions. The only dancey SAW single in the late 80s I would say would be Sabrina - All Of Me which does sound a bit like a precursor to the early 90s eurodance sound, especially the sound of the synths in it.

Mack.
Just out of interest, why are Mike Smith episodes not shown?
zenon
QUOTE(MvG501 @ Jan 29 2018, 10:50 AM) *
Just out of interest, why are Mike Smith episodes not shown?

He refused to sign a piece of paper that would have allowed his episodes to be shown and his estate is continuing to respect his wishes.
Suedehead2
QUOTE(zenon @ Jan 29 2018, 05:57 PM) *
He refused to sign a piece of paper that would have allowed his episodes to be shown and his estate is continuing to respect his wishes.

It's the BBC who have chosen to respect his wishes. They could show the episodes if they wanted, but have chosen not to. Of course, Sarah Green (his widow) could still give her permission. Whether she does or not may depend on Mike Smith's original reasons for withholding consent.
Mack.
Oh OK. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Steve201
QUOTE(The Snake @ Jan 29 2018, 12:33 AM) *
The Communards (and the Pet Shop Boys with It's A Sin) kept with the HI-NRG sound of course until 1987 though, even as a few of the early house hits were occasionally making the charts ahead of the main trend in 1988. Also in early 1987 is a HI-NRG hit by Man 2 Man (Male Stripper), the lyrics are awful but the production is actually very good!
Its interesting because Hi-NRG was still around a bit in the charts as late as 1989 with The London Boys, Kon Kan and also Erasure's Drama. So the dominance of house didn't completely kill it off.

As for 1985, apart from Dead or Alive's songs, HI-NRG strangely didn't really make the charts much compared to 1984 although Bronski Beat still provided the dancier HI-NRG with Hit That Perfect Beat at the end of 1985. As for Dead Or Alive, Spin Me Right Round and Someone In My House are the danciest sounding of their songs I would say.

HI-NRG would eventually become mostly more poppified and cheesy towards the end of the decade especially in the Stock Aitken and Waterman productions. The only dancey SAW single in the late 80s I would say would be Sabrina - All Of Me which does sound a bit like a precursor to the early 90s eurodance sound, especially the sound of the synths in it.

The novelty track by Russ Abbott sounded a bit like Hi-NRG in 1985!
TheSnake
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jan 30 2018, 10:27 PM) *

Oh my, you are talking about All Night Holiday? It is HI-NRG although not as Hi-NRG as the likes of Hit That Perfect Beat. Just listened to it now and it actually reminds me a bit of the Vengaboys from 14 years later in terms of style ohmy.gif
TheSnake
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jan 28 2018, 11:48 PM) *
Yeh Close (To the Edit) - def sounds like house or early house as it's hard to define what it is as there seems to be a move away from Hi-NRG which defined late 83/84 and the New Romantics just became pop from 1983 onwards. Of course Hi-NRG still dominated with You spin me round next week but it was for more no1 pop artists whereas the random artists were more experimental like Art of Noise!

Listening to it now - A-ha's Cry Wolf which charted in early 1987 sounds quite housey or house inspired, particularly in the instrumental bit about halfway through it.
Suedehead2
Only just seeing tonight's episode. The highlight has to be my favourite Smiths song.
King Rollo
Yes,it's easily the best song The Smiths did. From Thursday's programme,I also liked the Killing Joke and Colourfield songs.
TheSnake
If you are talking about their first hit in the year 1985 yes that is great, definitely one of their best imo.
TheSnake
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jan 30 2018, 10:27 PM) *

I do like 'Atmosphere', it gets a lot of criticism I know, but it does have an excellent chorus, and I liked it when I first heard it when I was younger. Never really saw it as a novelty song up until I saw the video for it/realized Russ Abbott is a comedian. Just saw it as a disco song tbh.
Steve201
That Smiths track sounds so ahead of its time - sounds like a brit pop song from 1992-94!

Your boy in Colourfield didn't stay in bands too long did he??

Must be Bowies first lead single in a while not to debut top 10??
TheSnake
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Feb 6 2018, 11:34 AM) *
That Smiths track sounds so ahead of its time - sounds like a brit pop song from 1992-94!

Indeed it does sound very ahead of its time. Amazing song.

Whilst I love The Smith's music, the influence of The Smiths did arguably stop the innovation in electronic music that had been occurring in the early 80s as some formerly electronic groups such as Depeche Mode went alternative rock.
Steve201
Electronic music still was the major genre as from what I could see in the general chart - most indie rock in the chart was from one hit wonders like heavy metal long haired bands like Europe and the new indie from the Stone Roses and earlier groups like The Cure/Souxsie & The Banshees in the late 80s. Dance still ruled until at least 1993/94.
Steve201
Tonight's totp is from 7/3/85 then we skip another month to 4/4/85 due to two Mike Smith editions and another destroyed by the BBC archives 😭
TheSnake
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Feb 7 2018, 08:09 PM) *
Electronic music still was the major genre as from what I could see in the general chart - most indie rock in the chart was from one hit wonders like heavy metal long haired bands like Europe and the new indie from the Stone Roses and earlier groups like The Cure/Souxsie & The Banshees in the late 80s. Dance still ruled until at least 1993/94.

Yes but the previously credible sounding synthpop mostly seems to have been replaced in the charts by the cheesier Stock Aitken Waterman type variety by about 1987. 1987 isn't a great year for electronic music in the charts imo, mostly just a few credible (non-cheesy) electronic songs from A-ha, The Communards, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys and the Dead Or Alive song at the start of the year and a few early house hits.

Tonight's totp is from 7/3/85 then we skip another month to 4/4/85 due to two Mike Smith editions and another destroyed by the BBC archives 😭

Oh no! sad.gif
Mack.
Pete Burns- what a shame how his later life turned out.
TheSnake
QUOTE(Mack. @ Feb 8 2018, 11:27 PM) *
Pete Burns- what a shame how his later life turned out.

You Spin Me.... is a great dance record but they get a little bit too cheesy pop after it (blame their producers Stock Aitken and Waterman for this change in musical direction!) imo until they are back to great 80s dance music with Something In My House!

Still have to watch the episode on iplayer but apparently Go West - We Close Our Eyes is on it, great track, especially that chorus!
Steve201
Happy days thought Go West was on the cut episodes!

Yeh I suppose the early 80s saw the fine tuning of the new synth sounds with unreal songs by the big electronic bands whereas by 1984-87 pop producers were making generic reproductions of them hence the increasing move towards house music!
TheSnake
Yep particularly by 1987 there seem to have been a lot of rather cheesy pop songs in the chart. sad.gif
Steve201
Yeh that symbolised the electronic era but there we always cheesy pop for example in the early 80s that was symbolised by the likes of Dollar and Bucks Fizz.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.