BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How has the way you consume TV changed?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post Jan 6 2018, 05:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
With the rise in streaming services taking over the way many of us prefer to get our content, how have your habits changed?

I personally watch very little "live" that isn't sport. I DVR things and watch later when it's more convenient... for me to fast forward through the ads. The exception is usually a TV show I'm utterly hooked on. For example, this time last year I was obsessively watching No Offence live. I quite enjoy having the box sets package on sky as I get some great on demand content. I have very much become an on demand type of viewer in terms of regular TV.

I personally have always been about the box set and way before Netflix was what it is now I would binge watch TV shows. It's how I've ended up with a rather large DVD collection! So Netflix/Prime/All4 et al isn't really a new way of consuming content for me, it's just expanded my collection in an affordable way and means that I don't have to get out of bed to change DVD every 4 episodes laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jan 6 2018, 11:56 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
I only ever watch commercial channels "live" for sport. I might watch other programmes close to "live" but I will always start watching late enough to skip all the ads. Even on the BBC I'll record documentaries and start watching a few donuts after it starts so I can skip the lengthy trailer for itself at the beginning.

I've also got loads of recorded programmes I haven't got round to watching yet. I often save up episodes of a serial so that I can watch the whole thing in a few nights. That has two big advantages. First, there's less chance of forgetting what happened from one episode to the next. Second, it's easier to keep track of two or three serials at a time rather than five or six laugh.gif

That means that the answer to the main question is yes, the way I watch television has changed. It's a lot easier to save programmes on a set-top box than on a stack of videos.

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post Jan 7 2018, 01:27 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008
I still watch live TV every night so it hasn't changed that much. I like ads lol, it's a tradition laugh.gif

I know what you mean, before Netflix I was spending ridiculous amounts of money on box sets! £30 a season pirate.gif That's why, although it might not have as much content as you'd hope, I'll always be thankful for Netflix lol. But if Netflix really does move to only original content one day, I'll cancel. I watch Netflix shows but I don't like the way they release them. I don't know, it feels... cold to me lol. I can't explain it but it feels weird. I wouldn't say it's changed a lot I've just changed from DVDs to Netflix.

Saying that, I don't like binge watching and I tend to watch shows really slowly. Watching them all in one go makes it hard to remember individual episodes, it's all just a blur.

This post has been edited by No Sleeep: Jan 7 2018, 02:31 AM

+Quote this post
kye
post Jan 7 2018, 02:13 AM
Post #4
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Jan 6 2018, 05:17 PM) *
With the rise in streaming services taking over the way many of us prefer to get our content, how have your habits changed?
I personally watch very little "live" that isn't sport. I DVR things and watch later when it's more convenient... for me to fast forward through the ads. The exception is usually a TV show I'm utterly hooked on. For example, this time last year I was obsessively watching No Offence live. I quite enjoy having the box sets package on sky as I get some great on demand content. I have very much become an on demand type of viewer in terms of regular TV.

I personally have always been about the box set and way before Netflix was what it is now I would binge watch TV shows. It's how I've ended up with a rather large DVD collection! So Netflix/Prime/All4 et al isn't really a new way of consuming content for me, it's just expanded my collection in an affordable way and means that I don't have to get out of bed to change DVD every 4 episodes laugh.gif

No offence <3

I don't watch any live TV now and, if it wasn't for the fact I get TV free because I work for TalkTalk, I probably wouldn't even have any premium channels as I have Netflix & NowTV.
Most of the shows that I watch are US shows that are currently airing so I'll either download them or stream them via Netflix (Riverdale, The Good Place etc).

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 7 2018, 02:18 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I do still watch live TV pretty much every day, unless I'm out I'll watch the soaps and the same tends to be true of reality TV. With the soaps and stuff like Strictly or X Factor i feel it's more of a social thing, at home my mum will watch the soaps for example and I'll watch with her and my uni housemates always watch the soaps and we all love Strictly for example. Big brother is just a habit more than anything and because i'm into fan communities on Twitter and stuff I like the feeling of watching it live and being able to interact with other fans.

I do take advantge of Netflix/Now TV though, as well as the main channels own catch-up services, it's great having all these boxsets at your fingertips for such a small price per month rather than £30 for each boxset or whatever, as well as many US shows that don't have a place on "normal TV.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jan 7 2018, 09:52 AM
Post #6
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
I've definitely changed the way I access TV series! I'm either watching them on catchup services (iPlayer mainly), or via streaming services (mostly Netflix, and to a lesser extent Now TV and Amazon Prime).

Like Silas, I've also amassed a big DVD/Blu-Ray collection of TV shows (which was an expensive habit!) but thankfully with the rise of Netflix I'm spending far less on TV shows nowadays. I say "far less" because I still occasionally buy a series if I really enjoyed it, for instance I've bought The 100 on DVD. I know I'd buy Stranger Things on Blu-Ray in a heartbeat if it was released here! *.*

When it comes to live TV, I still watch programmes like The X Factor live, and I'd watch game shows on there and not feel the need to watch them via catchup.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Jan 7 2018, 12:20 PM
Post #7
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
i use netflix now but a LOT of TV shows i love are not available here even legally so yeah that still makes it rather difficult to consume TV these days.

the only bad thing about netflix and those streaming services apart from division per geographies and copyright issues is the fact they regularly delete content

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jan 7 2018, 02:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I still prefer to watch TV live when I can, mainly so I don't have to avoid social media so I'm not spoilt, but there's a lot less pressure thanks to the many ways you can catch up, so if I miss the soaps or a show I'm particularly keen on, I'll just watch it ASAP.

I've definitely become a binge-watcher over the past year, and although I'm more of a fan of the "one episode a week" format, it can be very satisfying to watch at your own pace. Netflix definitely hasn't replaced my DVD collection though, if I enjoy a series and think I'd like to rewatch then I still like to buy the DVD!

+Quote this post
Travis
post Jan 7 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #9
Group icon
hi
User: 22,135
Personally, I haven't watched conventional television in so many years that I couldn't even tell you when the last time was. If there are any shows I keep up with, it's usually a day later once it's online for free streaming, or it's a show that's available on a streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.

Big Brother is probably the only show I actually watch live, but even that I watch through CBS All Access.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jan 7 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
QUOTE(kye @ Jan 7 2018, 02:13 AM) *
No offence <3

So perfectly cast and so bloody good. Easily the best show of recent years for me and one of my absolute favourites

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Jan 7 2018, 09:52 AM) *
Like Silas, I've also amassed a big DVD/Blu-Ray collection of TV shows (which was an expensive habit!) but thankfully with the rise of Netflix I'm spending far less on TV shows nowadays. I say "far less" because I still occasionally buy a series if I really enjoyed it, for instance I've bought The 100 on DVD. I know I'd buy Stranger Things on Blu-Ray in a heartbeat if it was released here! *.*

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jan 7 2018, 02:40 PM) *
Netflix definitely hasn't replaced my DVD collection though, if I enjoy a series and think I'd like to rewatch then I still like to buy the DVD!

I'm very much the same as you both! I don't buy anywhere near as much as I used to, so much so it's a miracle that HMV hasn't gone under again as I'm fairly confident I was single handedly keeping the Dundee branch afloat! laugh.gif

I do buy for series that I absolutely love. Mainly for the reason Pavel mentioned, geographical restrictions and the content libraries constantly shifting.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Feb 14 2018, 10:40 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
I don't watch TV programmes live that much apart from sport. The closest thing to live that I get is normally to watch something on a +1 hour channel but since I got Sky + almost nine years ago I record most of the programmes that I want to watch and I watch them in my own time. If the programme I'm watching is a BBC programme then I will most likely watch it on the iPlayer.

This post has been edited by Evil Houdini: Feb 14 2018, 10:47 PM

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Feb 14 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
Very, very rarely watch TV live. I just watch everything on catch-up via my laptop.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Feb 16 2018, 12:36 AM
Post #13
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
I don’t really watch any TV anymore tongue.gif Netflix and YouTube (and collections of older TV shows I own: The Office, Always Sunny, etc.), everything else I just don’t bother watching anymore. I think this was partly due to me just losing interest in what’s been broadcasted lately and also moving house, which has meant that I actually don’t have as easy access to a TV anymore so my phone/laptop is the best i have most of the time tongue.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Feb 16 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I watch very little live tv. I mostly use netflix and catch up services on my iPad. I really only use my tv for dvds and the PlayStation.

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Feb 18 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I don't really watch TV the traditional way anymore and tbh most people our age that I know usually stream things and watch Netflix series or other things on catch-up, my parents still watch TV traditionally most of the time but my Mum occasionally streams something but usually they stick to the listings.

I find the choice online so much better as TV channels often show a lot of shit whereas online I can pick something perfect for my tastebuds.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:05 PM