BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Sophia the Robot
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
lotita
post 8th January 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #1
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

the first robot ever to get citizenship has been doing the rounds as the latest internet meme. from her wiki:

Cameras within her eyes combined with computer algorithms allow Sophia to see. She can follow faces, sustain eye contact, and recognize individuals. She is able to process speech and have conversations using Alphabet’s Google Chrome voice recognition technology and other tools

Sophia runs on artificially intelligent software that is constantly being trained in the lab, so her conversations are likely to get faster, Sophia's expressions are likely to have fewer errors, and she should answer increasingly complex questions with more accuracy

what do ya'll think? a break through in science, or technology going too far? is there a place for AI so close to being human?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post 8th January 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

All I can think is Black Mirror tbh

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 8th January 2018, 05:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Yes! The future is... probably going to involve a lot of robots so bring them on. And if we ever get to a point where AI are living among us as such that we have societal questions about their roles in society, I'd say we're doing pretty good for ourselves as a race.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 8th January 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I’ve seen her on Good Morning Britain and all I can think of is that they modelled her on Hayden Panittierre! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 8th January 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

Also I’m a huge fan of ‘Humans’ so bring it on!

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 8th January 2018, 07:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

She’s scary

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 8th January 2018, 07:25 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I did a topic in sociology last year that was all about how we define what is and isn't human and a lot of the things that theorists were coming up with are pretty much being implemented into robots like Sophia, AI is coming up at an alarming rate. I suppose you could say a "soul" but that's not something measurable really, and there are concepts and processes people have said are uniquely human like executive function - we have desires and impulses but also self control when you realise you can't just do what you want to get what you want all the time - and whilst Sophia doesn't have that yet there seems to be so much scope for learning and for her to get all that. It is kinda weird and creepy but also fascinating when you think about where this could go, I'm interested to see how she develops and "learns" and what she picks up as a result.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:37 PM