BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Civilization Series, VI: Rise And Fall out Feb 9th
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Jan 29 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #1
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

The latest Civilization VI expansion is almost upon us, out in a week, and so to celebrate I figure it deserves its own thread as the leader in the 4X strategy game genre.

Plus I think the greatest video game composer of all time deserves another mention for having this beauty play every time the game starts.

The new expansion will add a golden age/dark age mechanic, and cities flipping loyalties on their own for the first time since Civ IV. It's also going to add a load of new civs and as always, filling in a few gaps, so Mongolia, the Dutch, Scotland and Georgia (the latter two completely new to Civilisation) among others join the lineup of empires you can play as.

As I just got Civ VI for a knock down price I'm going to wait to get this expansion but, share your Civ experiences (Michael, I know you're there), IV, V or VI, it doesn't matter which.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 29 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

I was partially motivated to post this by spending nearly all of Saturday beating down Denmark as the Romans in V, I haven't played much of Civ V for a long while and with getting Civ VI I want to work on my Civ V technique, as VI has most of the base mechanics of V but also a lot of stuff that I'm not used to.

And also that so far Rise And Fall is looking like THE BIG ONE in the strategy games release calendar this year and that's kind of my thing x

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 29 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I haven't played a Civ game since Civilization II way back in the late 90s, but I don't think I had the right mindset for the game - I ended up just making peace with the other nations and leaving it at that.

"Baba Yetu" is a fine, fine song though.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 29 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jan 29 2018, 09:25 PM) *
I haven't played a Civ game since Civilization II way back in the late 90s, but I don't think I had the right mindset for the game - I ended up just making peace with the other nations and leaving it at that.

"Baba Yetu" is a fine, fine song though.

I first came in on IV so I'm not certain on the differences, but peaceful playthrough is completely valid these days! Diplomatic or cultural victory (either force the UN to elect you as World Leader or make everyone so culturally dependent on you by just having better monuments/works of art/pop music that they submit to your greatness), which I don't think were in II, are actually my default modes if I'm not playing a nation known for their conquering, I've got two simultaneous games as India (somewhat relevant) under Gandhi in both V & VI, where I'm going to win through peace because besides getting elephants India isn't exactly a fighting civ.

War is a lot riskier but also quite a bit more exciting.

And I agree, love Baba Yetu, although Sogno Di Volare is really heading up there to be on a par with it.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Jan 29 2018, 09:39 PM
Post #5
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

CIV 3 is the best imo. biggrin.gif Love the simplicity of the map, but there is also a lot of micro-management. Still don't know how to stop the city riots in Civ 3 without having to use the entertainer all the time.

I do have Civ 4 and 5 so I must install them again at some point!

This post has been edited by The Snake : Jan 29 2018, 09:41 PM

+Quote Post
Silas
post Jan 29 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #6
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

Does Scotland’s empire include an attempt to conquer a new land by sailing 25% of the countries wealth to the most uninhabitable part of a new world only for them to be taken over by England and then refuse to assimilate for 300 years?

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 29 2018, 09:50 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

Kek.

No, but apparently they get to be the only civ that can build golf courses (!)

+Quote Post
Silas
post Jan 29 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #8
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

That’s a good reason to avoid them forever then!

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 12 2018, 11:34 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

Rise & Fall out now of course, I still have base Civ VI but I'm enjoying it muchly so far and there's going to be plenty of playing to do before I want an expansion.

For instance. As India, I have Spain as a backwards, religiously repressed neighbour, who annoy me by having Toledo within sight of Delhi's glorious battlements but otherwise aren't particularly bothersome. I'm several techs ahead (I'm playing on a slightly easy difficulty to get used to the game over V but it's still valid), and yet the genius decides that the best thing to do is to declare war on me. Me and my legions of swiftly mobilised elephant warriors and other troops.

The initial attack does not go well. Troops are crushed beneath elephants, elephant corps are formed, India glory is pushed and...

I might spare Madrid out of pity. I JUST WANTED A PACIFIST GAME.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Feb 13 2018, 05:35 AM
Post #10
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

The current game I'm doing well in is as Australia, my civ only has 3 cities but one is Brisbane (3rd city) in the desert and I snatched up the Petra early game too. Outback Stations on those pesky useless desert tiles and now, if I focus on production, I can reach a max. of roughly +78 production per turn in that city alone laugh.gif My 2nd city is mostly crap but gives a few luxuries so it's not too bad. Brazil declared war on me really early game and came at me with a huge army, but one of Australia's boosts is + production when declared war on - so I began sprewing out archers & swordsman and wiped out his army tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 13 2018, 10:52 AM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

Outback Stations, interesting, I've got Australia as a neighbour and though I haven't checked to see what they're doing they have a huge military so no invading them for me.

I love the Indian Stepwells so much, I basically have no problems with food, I've built them everywhere. Will have to get used to not having them on my next game.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Feb 14 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #12
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Indian stepwells give food & culture right? I haven’t played as India yet (somehow) so I’m yet to learn about them tongue.gif I kinda got stuck into playing the same few civilisations and haven’t branched out much

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 14 2018, 03:19 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

Food, plus extra food if next to a farm, plus faith if next to a Holy Site. Given Gandhi's thing is to get faith for every religion they know about and aren't at war with I'm a faith machine (but still going for a cultural victory, I'm putting the faith into great people).

Even though the Civs in V were pretty diverse it amazes me how different the civs in VI can be just with the addition of a leader ability.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 23 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

Finished my first game (finally, I tend to play different games each night you see). Beat Japan to a cultural victory for my sins and now I'm actually really hyped to start a new game now I know a bit more about what best to aim for, I was learning it so much as I went along.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Feb 25 2018, 01:02 AM
Post #15
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Through all/any Civ games you’ve ever played, which victory generally gives you the most excitement when it happens? I know winning at all is a great thing and (when it actually happens) I get somewhat proud of myself, but I always find a domination victory that much more thrilling to achieve.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 25 2018, 01:58 AM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

Domination is probably best because you have to put in the effort to move around the map and once that effort pays off it's satisfying, definitely gave me my favourite victories in Civ V. I definitely enjoy it the most and it's probably the most viable at harder difficulties too because the tactical edge is the best edge you have over the AI. However if I'm wanting a more relaxed game I tend to sit back and head up towards cultural. Science is a bit boring and I'd only normally go for it if it seems the only route available, with culture there's still plenty to do while peaceful what with theming bonuses and such.

I haven't tried the new religious route yet, but it does look similar to domination but with magic. Anyway, starting a new game with a random leader gave me Spain, who fortuitously are geared for military or religious so I'm going to go for one of those.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Feb 25 2018, 04:02 AM
Post #17
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Having Religious wizard battles can be a lot of fun laugh.gif I kinda suck at going religious though, I can never get the faith to even grab a pantheon until later on and by the time I get a religion all the decent buffs are claimed. I saw that one of the new dark or golden age policies in Rise & Fall lets you buy civilian units like settlers and builders with faith though, so maybe that could be a viable option in a religious run through ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 22 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

Haven't played any Civ in few week so I just broke out V and repeated a bit of Alexander's conquests - getting the V achievement for conquering the world. I did it against Egypt, Persia and India (picking the opponents because come on), conquering them in order and without mercy, before 1000 BC actually as I had marathon on to ensure I got the achievement.

Which is good, I've normally been far too timid in Civ games in the past so a bit of aggression will probably help me win more and harder matches.

Anyway, I'm getting some really good ocean at the end of the earth feels right now (as a fan of Alexander, he's in my top 5 military history figures <3 and also Fate/Zero).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:10 AM