BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Films That Caused Heavy Cinema Popularity/Traffic
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Houdini
post 18th February 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

I watched Black Panther today and the cinema that I went to had about 3-5 lines of people queuing up and almost certainly everyone in the ques was waiting to watch that precise film at the exact same time as me. This must have been the case judging by how many people there were in the screening that I was in. I've been to that particular cinema quite often and I've never seen it like that before, it's normally quite deserted whenever I go there and the fact that today was Sunday rather than Saturday made it even more surprising to me.

Are there any films you have watched where you've experienced high levels of popularity or "traffic" as I would call it?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post 18th February 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Star Wars: The Last Jedi, or any other Star Wars movie. We went to London to see it in iMAX on opening weekend, was jam packed plus every screen was showing the film.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 18th February 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Yeah. The big franchise movies tend to bring in bulks of people. Sometimes it's the best experience ever. Especially when it's a fun, light hearted movie with comedic moments (Deadpool is a good example) but sometimes it can be the downright worst experience with so many people chatting and on their phones etc.. lol.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 18th February 2018, 08:52 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Not a lot as I hate busy cinemas so often pick certain times that won't be busy to go (NEVER on opening week in school holidays), that said I saw Deadpool with my brother on opening weekend and we didn't pre-book, so we couldn't even get into our screening as it was full, and even the one we did was fully packed and had attendants checking our tickets, never seen it like that before!

+Quote this post
BillyH
post 19th February 2018, 03:56 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614

Some huge ones of the last 20 years:

Titanic (1998). Box office #1 every weekend from January to something like April/May. People boasted about seeing it 5, 10 times or more. Released on video while still playing in cinemas which I think was a first. Basically the movie equivalent of Candle In The Wind '97, it really was astonishingly big.

Star Wars Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace (1999). Remember the excitement over The Force Awakens? Double it. The last big movie of the pre-internet age - people camped for days outside cinema screens for that first midnight showing. Even if the film had its infamous flaws there was huge excitement for this and for a whole new generation the characters became iconic - simply looking at a photo of Darth Maul takes me back to that summer instantly.

Avatar (2009/10). Almost as big as Titanic. In early January every showing of it at London's BFI IMAX was sold out until mid-February. Everyone talking about it, the 3D was a big novelty and it was seen as a bright new future in cinema at the time. I never thought its box office total would be beaten, but then...

Skyfall (2012). Every cinema I've worked at broke records with this. Sold-out showings at 11 in the morning at weekends. People showing up many hours early only to still not get tickets. Queues all the way out buildings and down roads. Tons of hype about it being The Best Bond Film Ever and being soon after the London Olympics made everyone patriotic both contributed to this being massive - 'Sceptre' also did big numbers but Skyfall was really huge.

I've worked at cinemas on and off for the last five years, big ones during that time have included Gravity, Frozen, Lion and La La Land!

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 19th February 2018, 05:23 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

I saw it on Thursday and there was lots of space, I was the only person in my row.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 05:34 AM