BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> In My Arms ● 10 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post May 12 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

This month marks 10 years since 'In My Arms' received its UK physical release. Whilst some European countries received 'In My Arms' as a single earlier, it was the third official single for the UK and Australia. A Calvin Harris production, the song explodes joy and euphoria through his trademark fizzy synths whilst Kylie encourages her lover to get lost in the music and her embrace. It's typical pop lyrical content, but the combined efforts of the production and Kylie's delivery makes this song demand your attention.

Reviews were largely favourable, although others considered the production too calculated and cold. 'In My Arms' maintained Kylie's run of Top 10s in the UK since the turn of the century and reached the Top 10 in the likes of France and Germany when released prior. It's appearance on all three of Kylie's world tours since its release seems to suggest this remains one that's loved by fans.

How does the song rate for you? Share your thoughts and memories below as we continue our celebration of the X era.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
SmileyKylie
post May 12 2018, 09:45 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,515
Love this song. Video good too.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 12 2018, 11:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
A fantastic single choice from a very up and down album, but this along with 'Wow' & 'The One' are some of her greatest moments. Shame the lead single from this era was such a let down 'Magnetic Electric' would have been an awesome and better choice.

But as for this, a well deserved top 10 placing, but should have went much higher and if the release schedule wasn't so messy this could have done much better. As it is it has aged really well and not only a standout moment on the album, but a brilliant standout in her amazing discography.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post May 13 2018, 12:42 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
One of my most played Kylie songs - I always seem to go back to it and it’s definately in my Top 5 tracks of hers.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post May 14 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
I was so pleased when Kylie released this single. '2 Hearts' had me worried for a minute. wink.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 14 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
It remains my second favourite Kylie song ever, pure magic. wub.gif

I still remember that chart show day over whether it would make the top 10 or not. laugh.gif So nervewracking!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post May 14 2018, 12:09 PM
Post #7
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
I remember being quite surprised by In My Arms not doing particularly great things for her (10-17-32 being its only weeks inside the UK Top 40). Deserved far more than that! Fantastic song. wub.gif

This was her 16th consecutive Top 10 hit (starting from Spinning Around, I don't mean overall). Sadly ended by The One. What a run! This is something I miss about the singles charts these days... artists being able to build up a string of hits (because even the most popular artists these days will experience non-Top 10 hits along the way).

I know this isn't the topic to be discussing The One, but it'll always be disappointing that they cancelled the physicals for that. Surely a missed opportunity for a Top 20 hit at the very least, and it's not like making it download only and getting a #36 out of it looked good. drama.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 14 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
These are the performances I could find from the time:

ECHO Awards
Goldene Kamera Awards
NRJ Music Awards
Star Academy

No UK promo as Kylie's X Tour had commenced by the time 'In My Arms' got its physical release.

It's seen some UK performances since being a single though, including this beauty from 2010:

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 14 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
In My Arms has aged well. That said, when it was released i was slightly disappointed it was selected ahead of The One and Like A Drug.

At the time i much preferred Wow and i still do. I must add, the cover sleeve for In My Arms is excellent.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 14 2018, 03:36 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(pippa @ May 14 2018, 03:38 PM) *
At the time i much preferred Wow and i still do. I must add, the cover sleeve for In My Arms is excellent.

It's basically just a screengrab from the video though to be fair.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 15 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
When I posted the 'Wow' vs. 'In My Arms' poll late last year, I did say it was close but I decided 'Wow' just edged it; now I reckon that 'In My Arms' ranks just ahead. Really infectious song with that wonderful early Calvin production. I can remember the video being released and loving it; I now notice it's very Calvin-esque too, similar to the likes of 'Ready for the Weekend' and 'Acceptable in the 80s'.

Deserved to do better things in the chart but it probably did well to make the Top 10 tbf. It peaked at #23 on the downloads chart that week so it has physicals to thank there, plus there was no UK promo and the video had already premiered back in February when Europe received it early. I do wonder what the point of releasing two singles was. I know it's quite common nowadays, when you perhaps release an urban song for America and a pop song for Europe, but both 'Wow' and 'In My Arms' follow similar sounds.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:42 PM