BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 14th September 2018
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 14th September 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Hello all, welcome to another week of my personal top 20. All Saints have been at the top of my chart for three weeks now but are they about to make it a fourth, or will several climbers or one of three new entries end their time at the top? Let's find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 14th September 2018
© AM LIMITED 2018

1. (12) LSD - Thunderclouds
2. (4) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am
3. (1) ALL SAINTS - After All
4. (HNE) SILK CITY & DUA LIPA - Electricity
5. (2) DENNIS LLOYD - Nevermind
6. (NE) NILE RODGERS & CHIC FEAT. CRAIG DAVID AND STEFFLON DON - Sober
7. (5) CLAIRE RICHARDS - On My Own
8. (3) ANDY BROWN - About Last Night
9. (13) CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
10. (10) MNEK - Correct

11. (6) GEORGE EZRA - Shotgun
12. (8) MABEL - One Shot
13. (9) KYLIE MINOGUE - A Lifetime To Repair
14. (7) SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR - Love Is You
15. (11) WARD THOMAS - Lie Like Me
16. (19) THE SHIRES - Echo
17. (14) NIALL HORAN - Finally Free
18. (17) KT TUNSTALL - The River
19. (NE) JOHN LEGEND - Preach
20. (16) RICK ASTLEY - Try

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry

CHART COMMENTARY

A number of existing songs on my top 20 have experienced upward movement - and in some cases new peaks - this week, as they consolidate their popularity. The fact there is only three new entries tells it's own story as to why this is happening, but as was confidently predicted by us last week, LSD charge from their top 20 debut last week and rise eleven places to grab a sensational number one single on my personal chart with 'Thunderclouds', thus bringing to an end the three week run of All Saints with 'After All'.

For the individual members of the supergroup, it means that Labrinth returns to the top of my personal chart for the first time since 'Beneath Your Beautiful' (which also ascended to the top on its second week) gave him his second number one with Emeli Sande almost six years ago in October 2012. His first, 'Last Time', came in March that same year. Sia has already had seven top 10 hits on my personal chart to date - starting all the way back in May 2000 with 'Taken For Granted' - but the highest placing she had managed until today was #3 with her own 'Chandelier' in July 2014. Likewise, Diplo's best result to date was a #4 hit on DJ Fresh's 'Earthquake' five years ago in September 2013.

Diplo however, can also lay claim to a dual appearance in the top 5 this week, as Silk City, his collaborative project with Mark Ronson, make their debut as the highest new entry at #4 with 'Electricity'. The track features guest vocals from Dua Lipa, who thus has her fifth top 10 hit (including her chart topping 'One Kiss' with Calvin Harris back in April) in three years.

It's collaborations o'clock on the second biggest new hit of the week too, as the legendary disco and funk gods Nile Rodgers and Chic return with 'Sober', the first single from their new album 'It's About Time' (out a week next Friday). Following a performance on last weekend's launch show for the new series of Strictly Come Dancing, the single lands at #6. It's bizarrely only the second top 10 hit on my personal chart for Rodgers (the first was his uncredited guitar slot for Daft Punk and Pharrell Williams on their chart topping 'Get Lucky' back in 2013).

But for Craig David, who features as guest vocalist on the track with Stefflon Don, it's not only his third top 10 hit of 2018 (following 'I Know You', his January chart topper with Bastille and 'Magic', his #6 hit in May with Yxng Bane) it's now his 23rd top 10 hit in my personal chart history since 1999, a record he now jointly holds with Olly Murs. Robbie Williams can currently lay claim to more top 10 hits overall for male solo artists (he has had 27 to date) although Murs is the only one whose top 10 hits have all been consecutive. Craig notched up ten consecutive top 10 hits with his first ten releases before 'World Filled With Love' stalled and peaked at #13 in October 2003, although this new run of top 10 hits he has had since 'When The Bassline Drops' topped my chart in January 2016 means he only has to ensure he goes top 10 with his next release to beat that total.

Jess Glynne comes agonizingly close to an eighth number one as 'All I Am' climbs another two places to #2 this week. If she does make it in the coming weeks, it means she will be tied with Kylie Minogue for the most number ones by or featuring a female solo artist in my personal chart history. After stalling at #13 for two weeks running, Christine and the Queens finally has a second top 10 hit to join her debut 'Tilted' as '5 Dollars' climbs four to #9. The Shires' four week old 'Echo' is the beneficiary of their last minute appearance to fill in for an unwell Carrie Underwood at BBC Radio 2's Live in Hyde Park event last Sunday, as it goes back up three places to #16 this week.

John Legend's 'All Of Me' was the sixth biggest single of 2014 on my personal chart, hitting number one in May that year. It climbed to that position on its ninth week, so all eyes will be on his new single 'Preach' - which enters at #19 this week - to see if it pulls off the same feat following his performance of the track on Jonathan Ross' chat show last weekend.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 14th September 2018, 07:21 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sven10
post 15th September 2018, 07:45 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,108

Hi Alex,

Great no 1 from LSD cheer.gif
Great new entries this week!
Especially good old Nile Rodgers & CHIC heart.gif (Goodtimes!)

Unfortunately Mabel is dropping mad.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 15th September 2018, 08:17 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello ThePenSmith!
Nice #1, really enjoying it right now!
I also like that "All I Am" is close to #1, the debuts for "Electricity" and "Sober" and that "5 Dollars" reached your top 10!
Great chart!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 16th September 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey there Alex hi.gif

Impressive vault to #1 for 'Thunderclouds' this week (that seems to be happening on quite a few charts atm!), hooray for this project finally taking off commercially after there was a bit of a hype vacuum at first. Elsewhere, my favourite new entry this week is the incredibly euphoric 'Electricity' heart.gif

Great stuff happy.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 16th September 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Evening Alex,

I’m not a frequent visitor to your personal chart, and for this I do apologise, but I’ll try and pop by whenever I can in future!

Here’s what I liked this week;

LSD, Jess Glynne, Silk City, George Ezra and Mabel which have all appeared in my personal chart in recent weeks.

Great chart, thanks for your hard work each week to prepare. cool.gif

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 16th September 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Thanks for all the lovely feedback everybody smile.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 17th September 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Hiya!

1. (12) LSD - Thunderclouds Fantastic #1 cheer.gif
2. (4) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am wub.gif Getting close to that #1 spot 👋
3. (1) ALL SAINTS - After All
4. (HNE) SILK CITY & DUA LIPA - Electricity wub.gif This is brilliant! She's racking up a fair few hits this year that's for sure!
7. (5) CLAIRE RICHARDS - On My Own
9. (13) CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
11. (6) GEORGE EZRA - Shotgun music.gif
12. (8) MABEL - One Shot
13. (9) KYLIE MINOGUE - A Lifetime To Repair
14. (7) SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR - Love Is You
16. (19) THE SHIRES - Echo
18. (17) KT TUNSTALL - The River
20. (16) RICK ASTLEY - Try

Great Chart jump.gif

+Quote this post