BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The current state and future of reality TV
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post 25th September 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Coming off points in The Circle thread as well as Big Brother coming off of Channel 5, I was actually thinking about this... I think it's a time where what's popular and what works is changing!

Shows such as I'm A Celebrity, Britain's Got Talent and Strictly still do really well as does ofc the newest juggernaut Love Island, but you have X Factor falling in ratings and relevancy plus Big Brother struggling to the point of C5 axing it </3 In other countries some of these shows have already failed and gone (X Factor was axed in the US and Australia, many other countries have moved onto the Voice and just kept that whereas we have both). Obviously there are different cultures and TV landscapes, The Bachelor(ette) does very well in the US and Australia for example but didn't here before (although Channel 5 are bringing it back), Married At First Sight is also massive in Australia and Love Island took off quite well there in the 18-49 demographic at least. Perhaps people just love the drama of other people's romances, our version of MAFS was really tame by comparison.

We've also of course a new format in The Circle, technology could really change things but for now in its early stages it's been a bit divisive.

What would you like to see coming up? What do you think will happen?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 25th September 2018, 03:32 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I certainly don't want Big Brother to go when it's hitting a stride with this series going back to basics, which is really capturing a core audience, but The Circle is really promising when it comes to what could be to come in the future. It might take a few years to transition from the basics to BB to something different though, this all needs to be ironed out. BB certainly has life, especially potentially being moved to a new channel which could bring new ideas.

I think when it comes to talent based shows like X Factor, I think the reason that Strictly for example does so well is it's just fun, there's not much pressure on it whereas when it comes to X Factor they focus so much on finding a certain ready-made popstar or someone they can mould into a certain type of success. That worked when they were churning out the likes of 1D, Little Mix, Leona, Alexandra and Olly Murs, but whilst I still enjoy watching now it just feels like they're putting much stock into finding x or y. The Voice is nowhere near as entertaining but it doesn't take itself too seriously and is just a singing contest (which is to its detriment at times) without the "legacy" of finding stars behind it like X Factor which of course its failing to live up to. It's almost a victim of its past success with too much pressure to keep up to that, but ratings wise it is still up there with the week's highest rated.

Strictly and I'm A Celeb also benefit from (usually, we shan't start the Strictly line-up furore again x) bigger name signings relevant to the demographic that keep people tuning in, although recently on I'm A Celeb names like Vicky Pattison, Scarlett Moffatt, Toff, Joel Dommett and Ferne McCann have done really well from not being as known before. I think they're ultimately just easy watches that don't take themselves too seriously. Same with BGT, I enjoy BB much more than these shows as a rule but I can see why they are popular, BGT has its prize but no pressure on finding a huge star and there's some variety even if it's a bit predictable. It's an easy watch with something for everyone.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:38 AM