Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theresa May - Tory leadership contest triggered
BuzzJack Music Forum > General Discussion > News and Politics
Pages: 1, 2
Brett-Butler
In the last few minutes, it has been confirmed that the 48 letters of no confidence has been received, so the Conservative leadership contest has been triggered. A vote of no confidence will be held tonight, and if she receives a majority of votes from her MPs, then a full leadership contest will be held.

Interesting times ahead, and definitely a story that will develop over the rest of the day.
Holly and Izzy
About time. Not certain whether it will ultimately be good or bad but right now I’m just happy that the era of political limbo and stalling is coming to an end.

Assuming it passes of course.
Brett-Butler
QUOTE(Izzy Blizzard @ Dec 12 2018, 08:50 AM) *
About time. Not certain whether it will ultimately be good or bad but right now Iím just happy that the era of political limbo and stalling is coming to an end.

I love your optimism.

Keeping in mind I've been wrong about most political predictions over the last few years, I'm predicting that when the vote goes ahead later on, against all odds Theresa May will survive it and stay in power. Although anything can happen in the next 12 hours.
Holly and Izzy
To be fair, something is happening. We have been saying since the start that Mayís government is fragile, yet against all odds it survives. Though this doesnít break down the government it makes the timetable tight and opens up possibilities for a change of the narrative, and might force others into action.

If Theresa survives, how can she continue doing what she has been with any credibility? Something we have been saying about her for months but this is the biggest challenge yet. If someone else takes over, they either also face their legacy being tainted or alter course hard.
Pogueschartpeak
It's a ploy by Hard Brexiters to get a Hard Brexit. A month to delay for a leadership contest, crown King Boris, and do nothing until March.

They don't have the best interests of people at all, Johnson has given his personal assurance that he will take responsibility for anyone losing their job after a Hard Brexit.

So give us a personal guarantee that you will pay for the wages of every single person that loses their jobs due to a hard brexit and I will believe you BloJo, failing that it's as dependable as all of your other lies over the last 3 years.

Corbyn who? He wants the same thing of course, so he's happy with this. He COULD go on TV and denounce the toxic Tories for trying to cause this exact result, supposedly the last thing he wants, and try to stop that happening, but y'know, old habits die hard....
Suedehead2
So, in other words, Tory MPs are being asked whether they have changed their minds since they elected her leader. Yes, I know there wasn't a final ballot, but May got about 60% of the vote in the last ballot that did take place. Yet they still say that asking the electorate whether they have changed their minds is an affront to democracy. That, of course, leaves aside the fact that allowing one side in a referendum to break the law with impunity is surely a much bigger affront to democracy.

If she wins (which is perfectly possible), they cannot challenge her again for another year.

Never forget that Cameron called the referendum to bring an end to Tory infighting. Working well, isn't it?
Brett-Butler
William Hill has odds of 9/2 on May losing the vote. Iíve stuck £20 on it so would win over £100 if goes that way.
dancember
Who's most likely to replace her then? I'd rather she stay on if her going means we get JRM or BoJo.
Brett-Butler
QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 12 2018, 02:42 PM) *
Who's most likely to replace her then? I'd rather she stay on if her going means we get JRM or BoJo.

It wonít be either of them if there are more than 2 candidates running, due to the way the leadership contest works.
Chez WreathBow
As much as I dislike her as a leader, I DEFINITELY don't want the possibility of a Hard Brexit to come real and yet more months of dragging shit out with another leadership debate. So things to stay as they are please~
December Dong
It was so obvious this would happen the second she cancelled the vote and ran away. Surely that is her second contempt of parliament? She has to go!
vidsanta
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 12 2018, 01:34 PM) *
William Hill has odds of 9/2 on May losing the vote. Iíve stuck £20 on it so would win over £100 if goes that way.

Technically you'd *win* £90 + your original stake back... tongue.gif
December Dong
QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 12 2018, 03:15 PM) *

As a Tory, which Tory do you want to win?
vidsanta
QUOTE(Lapland Labia @ Dec 12 2018, 03:20 PM) *
As a Tory, which Tory do you want to win?

How many times - I AM NOT A TORY!

However, on a personal level, it'd be amusing to see Boris win... w00t.gif
December Dong
Bojo the Trump and Bojo Boris?! I would VOMIT
Brett-Butler
QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 12 2018, 04:15 PM) *

Okay, Mr Splitting Hairs. tongue.gif

If I do win the £90, what should I spend it on? Iím think 90 boxes of Battenberg, unless you can think of anything better (heaven forbid).
Michael Bubrť
The BBC are saying a majority of Tory MPs have already publicly backed her so it seems pretty unlikely she'll actually lose this. I'm enjoying the shambles of it actually happening though.
vidsanta
QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 12 2018, 03:21 PM) *
However, on a personal level, it'd be amusing to see Boris win... w00t.gif

QUOTE(Lapland Labia @ Dec 12 2018, 03:26 PM) *
Bojo the Trump and Bojo Boris?! I would VOMIT

Exactly! tongue.gif
December Dong
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 12 2018, 03:56 PM) *

If I do win the £90, what should I spend it on? Iím think 90 boxes of Battenberg, unless you can think of anything better (heaven forbid).

Maybe a telescope? On special on amazon atm. You can link it to your smart phone and take photos of space
December Dong
QUOTE(vidsanta @ Dec 12 2018, 04:36 PM) *
Exactly! tongue.gif

!!!!!
Brett-Butler
QUOTE(Michael Bubrť @ Dec 12 2018, 05:02 PM) *
The BBC are saying a majority of Tory MPs have already publicly backed her so it seems pretty unlikely she'll actually lose this. I'm enjoying the shambles of it actually happening though.

This means that the only way she can lose is if it turns out that Tory MPs are two-faced, duplicitous liars. Which would be a bit of a stretch.
Suedehead2
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 12 2018, 03:56 PM) *

Tickets for Suede, obviously.
December Dong
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 12 2018, 04:47 PM) *
This means that the only way she can lose is if it turns out that Tory MPs are two-faced, duplicitous liars. Which would be a bit of a stretch.

Yes. They are too strong and stable to be that! They are always compleeetely honest with everyone.
Michael Bubrť

I do take their reporting with a pinch of salt after how sure we apparently were that the ERG knew of 48 letters and a potential dozen more weeks ago laugh.gif but still, I'd be surprised if she doesn't survive this one.
Suedehead2

laugh.gif
December Dong
Mad May has brought the sex text mp back to the party in return for his vote rotf.gif Contemptible government. The landed gentry act as they please. Out out out!!
Crazy Chris-tmas
I have no doubt that she'll win tonight and win fairly comfortably then she can't be challenged for another year. As she says, now isn't the time to change the leader and she's doing her best to get some sort of acceptable Brexit deal. I feel a bit sorry for her to be honest.
Tawdry Hepburn
I have absolutely no sympathy for her whatsoever. She chose to be in the position she's found herself in, to abandon her principles when she became PM in the name of gaining power and all she's done since is prove that she's willing to stoop to any low to retain her title (such as bribing the DUP's support/today's instance of restoring the sex text pest's whip), all she cares about is saving her own miserable skin.

As far as I'm concerned, she's a despicable human being and deserves whatever she gets.

But still rather her than a scenario like Boris being PM.
December Dong
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Dec 12 2018, 06:16 PM) *
I have absolutely no sympathy for her whatsoever. She chose to be in the position she's found herself in, to abandon her principles when she became PM in the name of gaining power and all she's done since is prove that she's willing to stoop to any low to retain her title (such as bribing the DUP's support/today's instance of restoring the sex text pest's whip), all she cares about is saving her own miserable skin.

As far as I'm concerned, she's a despicable human being and deserves whatever she gets.

THIS
dannjohn
I like May. Last thing we need is a change in pm
5 Silas FrÝkner
I think she will survive the challenge by a decent margin. Hopefully that should light a fire under Labourís leadership and extinguish their hopes of a no confidence vote and snap election in parliament because they wonít have the numbers from the Tory benches to support the motion. I do expect them to remain useless and impotent on the matter
dancember
May has said she will stand down as leader before the next general election.

Half an hour until the result is revealed, I imagine at this point she's staying.
Suedehead2
So she has survived, but over a third of the MPs voted against her.
dancember
May has won

200 in favour
117 against
Brett-Butler
Well, no Battenbergs for me then.
Suedehead2
If the payroll vote (ministers plus ministerial aides amounting to around 120 votes) all voted for May, then backbenchers voted heavily against her.
Doctor Blind
Massive vote against her (only 63% support) - quite shocked how high it was, expecting around 60-80 'hardcore ERG etc'.

Thatcher got 84% in her first confidence vote in 1989 and was gone a year later.

May had to concede that she will go before the next election to get the support she did and it is pretty clear that the deal is now dead with her authority immediately drained. What remains to be seen is what happens next?
Kudos to Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party for not tabling a doomed 'no confidence' vote in the government (which would have united the Tories) and instead allowed the Tories to tear themselves apart. Note to SNP: This is how you actually do Politics.

The question is now when to table a vote of no confidence in the government - as the ERG will be desperate for the nuclear option (they can't call another no confidence vote for 12 months), I'd suggest it'll come after the withdrawal agreement 'meaningful' vote gets rejected, of which it looks like it will be when it EVENTUALLY comes now.

'oh dear'.
Pigs in Blankets
When I heard Boris Johnson was in contention for the leadership, I thought to myself... please NO. In a way I'm glad she won it, but now where does she go with all the Brexshit issue. Where ever I go everybody is talking about it, this is why sometimes I hate politics. Also when we decide to have an election, I can see a Labour win. In a way I'm torn between both parties because I don't know who is capable of doing the job for this country.
December Dong
Maggie quit after getting 204 votes. Mad May says nothing has changed with 200!
December Dong
QUOTE(Pigs in blankets @ Dec 12 2018, 10:15 PM) *
When I heard Boris Johnson was in contention for the leadership, I thought to myself... please NO. In a way I'm glad she won it, but now where does she go with all the Brexshit issue. Where ever I go everybody is talking about it, this is why sometimes I hate politics. Also when we decide to have an election, I can see a Labour win. In a way I'm torn between both parties because I don't know who is capable of doing the job for this country.

VOTE LABOUR.

There is no comparison between them and the disgusting party of food banks and privatisation, of the born to rule rich.
Santa Klaus
117 people should be listened to but 16.1m should be ignored
December Dong
QUOTE(Santa Klaus @ Dec 12 2018, 10:34 PM) *

We are the plebs to the landed gentry. They see themselves as born to rule and us as nuisance upstarts.
Crazy Chris-tmas
QUOTE(Pigs in blankets @ Dec 12 2018, 10:15 PM) *

I still say Labour will never win an overall majority with Corbyn as leader. No matter how bad the Tories are many people still won't vote for a Labour-led Corbyn. They may sneak in to power as largest party in a hung Parliament.
December Dong
Like Mad May and Cameron did? Oh
Rooney
Surely the reason Labour have held off filing a No Confidence motion is because the second they do that, they have to have a stance on a 2nd Referendum.

Anyway no surprises May won, the main issue is Brexit right now not a general election or a leadership bid. Looks like Mayís deal is dead though now... can totally see a Peopleís Vote happening too. I feel that is Corbyn ever wants to get in the power heís going to have to concede to having another referendum.
ChristmaSteve201
QUOTE(Lapland Labia @ Dec 12 2018, 10:31 PM) *

You can't really compare the two as the parliamentary arithmetic is different now to then!
ChristmaSteve201
QUOTE(Santa Klaus @ Dec 12 2018, 10:34 PM) *

But those 117 MPs represent thousands of people in their constituencies
December Dong
QUOTE(Christmasteve201 @ Dec 13 2018, 12:10 AM) *
But those 117 MPs represent thousands of people in their constituencies

All now polling Remain!
vidsanta
QUOTE(Lapland Labia @ Dec 12 2018, 10:31 PM) *

But Maggie *chose* to quit, she didn't have to.
vidsanta
QUOTE(Lapland Labia @ Dec 12 2018, 10:32 PM) *
VOTE LABOUR.

There is no comparison between them and the disgusting party of food banks and privatisation, of the born to rule rich.

QUOTE(Lapland Labia @ Dec 12 2018, 10:39 PM) *
We are the plebs to the landed gentry. They see themselves as born to rule and us as nuisance upstarts.

Every time you come out with that neo-Marxist blether, you undermine your credibility a little more,

QUOTE(Lapland Labia @ Dec 13 2018, 12:29 AM) *
All now polling Remain!

I wasn't aware there had been a 2nd referendum... rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.