BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart (Christmas 2018), Week ending 21st December 2018
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Dec 21 2018, 02:00 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
*in best Noddy Holder voice* IT'S CHRIIIIIISSTMAAAASSSS! Well, in four days' time it will be anyway! And before that, comes my most important personal chart of the year, as I unveil which song is my Christmas number one for 2018. Has Jess Glynne hung on from last week, or is it a festive surprise from someone else? Let's unwrap the answer...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 21st December 2018
© AM LIMITED 2018

1. (1) JESS GLYNNE - Thursday
2. (3) GEORGE EZRA - Hold My Girl
3. (2) LITTLE MIX - Think About Us
4. (HNE) OLLY MURS - Excuses
5. (5) THE POGUES & KIRSTY MACCOLL - Fairytale Of New York
6. (4) MICHAEL BUBLÉ - Love You Anymore
7. (8) TAKE THAT - Out Of Our Heads
8. (6) NOW UNITED - All Day
9. (18) MICHAEL BUBLÉ - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
10. (NE) LOS UNIDADES FEAT. PHARRELL WILLIAMS & JOZZY - E-Lo

11. (9) ELLIE GOULDING FEAT. DIPLO & SWAE LEE - Close To Me
12. (7) CLEAN BANDIT FEAT. MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS & LUIS FONSI - Baby
13. (10) ALL SAINTS - Testament In Motion
14. (15) RAE MORRIS - Dancing With Character
15. (11) BACKSTREET BOYS - Chances
16. (12) BUSTED - Nineties
17. (13) JAMIE LAWSON - Testify
18. (14) JAMIE CULLUM - Love Is In The Picture
19. (16) OLLY MURS FEAT. SNOOP DOGG - Moves
20. (RE) JOHN LENNON & YOKO ONO - Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

It would be remiss to say it was never in doubt, but in the end, it was the tightest run race it's been in years. Two decades on after S Club 7 claimed the first ever festive chart topper on my personal chart in 1999, it gives me great pleasure to confirm that Jess Glynne's 'Thursday' is my Christmas number one for 2018, the twentieth such record to achieve the feat, as even with a slight resurgence from the single she bumped off the top last week - George Ezra's 'Hold My Girl' now reclaiming the #2 berth it last occupied on its debut nine weeks ago - she manages to secure her second week at the top and thus join a list in my chart history that has everyone from Robbie Williams to the cast of St Trinian's. Yes, really.

Here's a Christmas cracker type teaser for you. Which artist has been inside my Christmas top 10 more times than any other artist in the last twenty years? The answer may surprise you, but it's Olly Murs. Until today, he's been a feature of them six times in total, the only exceptions over his now decade long career being 2015, when his former chart topper 'Kiss Me' dipped to #15 for the festive period, and last year, 2017, when he had no new material released around the holidays at all. Thankfully order is restored this year for his seventh appearance, as 'Excuses', the follow-up to his chart topping 'Moves' with Snoop Dogg (still on the chart this week at #19) and second single from current album 'You Know I Know', claims the highest new entry for Christmas 2018 at #4.

Just before we get to the rest of the new action and movement, I feel it's appropriate here to mention the continuing success of both Take That's 'Out Of Our Heads' and Michael Bublé's 'Love You Anymore'. Both singles entered my chart within a week of each other at the end of October, in which time they've both peaked at #2 on seperate occasions. Both singles are still inside my top 10 for the festive period after nearly ten weeks apiece - more than a fair few of my number ones this year have managed - and are almost certain to be among my end of year top 10. And better still for everyone's favourite Canadian crooner, his take on 'It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas' rises up nine places to #9, thus surpassing the #11 it managed last Christmas and giving Michael two hits inside my top 10 for the holidays.

Another band who've been a feature of three of my festive top 10s in the past are back for this year too - albeit in a cunning disguise. Los Unidades, you see, are in actual fact Coldplay, who enter at #10 with 'E-Lo', the first single from their one off EP/side project for the recent Global Citizen charity concert in South Africa, in collaboration with Pharrell Williams and Jozzy. However, to all intents and purposes, with Chris Martin's unmistakeable vocal on it, it's a Coldplay record in all but name - just with added Pharrell. It's also got itself in quite a handy position to be one of the first big hits of 2019 two weeks hence - and lest we forget, that's exactly what happened for Coldplay's own 'Paradise' in 2012 and Pharrell's 'Happy' in 2014, both becoming my first chart toppers of their respective years, so keep an eye on this one.

The rest of this week's movement comes from returning festive evergreens, the biggest of all being John Lennon and Yoko Ono's 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)' as it advances back into the top 20 for the first time since 2007 this week. There's also upward movement for Chris Rea ('Driving Home For Christmas', up five to #26), The Pretenders ('2000 Miles', up two to #30) and The Waitresses ('Christmas Wrapping', up seven to #31), plus re-entries at #38 and #40 respectively for Leona Lewis ('One More Sleep') and Gwen Stefani with hubby Blake Shelton ('You Make It Feel Like Christmas').

And that, as they say, is that for my festive personal chart for 2018. Just one more chart for this year to come next Friday, and also look out on the End of Year forum for my countdown of my top 40 of 2018 on New Year's Eve. Until then, let me wish you a very merry Christmas, whatever you may be up to and however you may be celebrating - and much love always.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 1999: S Club 7 claim my first ever Christmas number one (and their third chart topper in a row), plus new entries from John Lennon, Steps, and that song about the hamsters...

1. (HNE) S CLUB 7 - Two In A Million / You're My Number One

2. (NE) JOHN LENNON - Imagine
3. (1) ARTFUL DODGER FEAT. CRAIG DAVID - Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)
4. (NE) STEPS - Say You'll Be Mine / Better The Devil You Know
5. (NE) CUBAN BOYS - Cognoscenti vs. Intelligensia (The Hamster Dance)
6. (2) VENGABOYS - Kiss (When The Sun Don't Shine)
7. (3) WILLIAM ORBIT - Barber's Adagio For Strings
8. (4) LEN - Steal My Sunshine
9. (6) B*WITCHED FEAT. LADYSMITH BLACK MAMBAZO - I Shall Be There
10. (5) ALICE DEEJAY - Back In My Life

This post has been edited by ThePoguesmith: Dec 21 2018, 09:25 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sergej
post Dec 21 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723
Hello!
Great #1, but did Thursday gain or not move in your chart?
Nice to see "Excuses" and "E-Lo" debut in your chart!
Great chart!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Dec 21 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #3
Group icon
QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Dec 21 2018, 09:02 PM) *
Hello!
Great #1, but did Thursday gain or not move in your chart?
Nice to see "Excuses" and "E-Lo" debut in your chart!
Great chart!

It didn't move, I forgot to change the last week's position bit like a ninny and a berk rolleyes.gif laugh.gif Glad at least one of us is on the ball Sergej! Thanks for your feedback dude biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Dec 22 2018, 12:28 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Nice chart there Pen!

What age were you in 1999 when you start your chart?

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Dec 22 2018, 12:32 AM
Post #5
Group icon
QUOTE(Christmasteve201 @ Dec 22 2018, 12:28 AM) *
Nice chart there Pen!

What age were you in 1999 when you start your chart?

I'd just turned 10 when I started compiling it smile.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Dec 22 2018, 12:33 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Wow that's impressive mate. I started in 2007 when I was 24!

+Quote this post
Sven10
post Dec 26 2018, 09:41 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,108
Hi Alex,

Great chart!

Happy Holidays laugh.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:43 PM