Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pokemon // Generation 8
BuzzJack Music Forum > General Discussion > Gaming and Technology
Pages: 1, 2
Liаm
We're very close to the reveal of Gen 8 it seems, rumours abound that it will be this coming week for Pokemon Day on the 27th February that we get a tease of the new games and that seems about right tbh for a timescale.

Rumours are that the versions are called Pokemon King and Queen due to hints from the Pokemon account on Twitter and I've seen November 21st banded about for the release, but that's a Thursday laugh.gif Either way I can't wait, it's going to surely be a huge jump from Sun and Moon with what the Switch can do, it might be asking too much for it to be the big open world game we've wanted for years but it's sure to be so much bigger and better than before, hopefully there can be two regions in it at least or something, and a bigger postgame.
Atonement
QUOTE(Liаm @ Feb 23 2019, 01:58 PM) *
Rumours are that the versions are called Pokemon King and Queen due to hints from the Pokemon account on Twitter and I've seen November 21st banded about for the release, but that's a Thursday laugh.gif Either way I can't wait, it's going to surely be a huge jump from Sun and Moon with what the Switch can do, it might be asking too much for it to be the big open world game we've wanted for years but it's sure to be so much bigger and better than before, hopefully there can be two regions in it at least or something, and a bigger postgame.

I hope so too but I am very sceptical. Hope GF will prove me wrong though and snatch my wig and lashes.
WhoOdyssey
So excited for this! Really hoping for graphics like Fire Emblem or Dragon Quest.

I hope the anime returns to usual as well, because Ash stuck in one location most of the time gets quite boring tongue.gif
lewistgreen
I do wonder if they’ll bridge the anime with something separate as I imagine this will be the final series set in Sun & Moon and they won’t put out a new era until the games are established. But, I’m very much looking forward to having a new game for the Switch!
WhoOdyssey
QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Feb 23 2019, 04:06 PM) *
I do wonder if they’ll bridge the anime with something separate as I imagine this will be the final series set in Sun & Moon and they won’t put out a new era until the games are established. But, I’m very much looking forward to having a new game for the Switch!

I reckon there will be another series of Sun & Moon. I remember Black & White was still airing about 6 months after X & Y came out.
WhoOdyssey
http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219772

Pokemon Theme Songs - The Rate is here!
Martyn
I'm a no for the main series of the game being switch
LexC
OMG Pokemon Queen *.*
WhoOdyssey
QUOTE(Martyn @ Feb 23 2019, 08:38 PM) *
I'm a no for the main series of the game being switch

There's no point releasing it on the 3DS, it's pretty much dead.
Cody Burnett
I do wonder if they’re gonna do a sequel series or have this generation be three games within the region. I did think of royalty, but what I also thought of was a deck of cards. Maybe we could have Pokemon Jack or Pokemon Ace as that third game if they decide to go with the latter?
Dexton

Announcements coming soon, likely for Gen 8's main series game for November release! Although it's strange nothings been leaked/advertised in Japan so far when normally they get info before English speaking coutries
WhoOdyssey
Argh I'm at school then!

Hopefully it will be a lesson where we can get our phones out laugh.gif
Atonement
This is it girls. Lettuce pray it will be epic.
WhoOdyssey
They've been posting the starters from each gen every day on Insta, so we should get a reveal of those!
Liаm
Fingers crossed this is an actual reveal and not some troll spin-off reveal but I can't see why it won't be, hype *.* That's 2pm our time which very conveniently is just as I finish work!

It's 7 minutes so hopefully we're treated to the starters, names and maybe some gameplay, I'm most excited to see what it looks like as a step up from SM/USUM!
Cody Burnett
f*ck do I wanna wake up early for that or

oh well I did it for (G)I-DLE’s comeback today, I can do it for tomorrow tongue.gif
Aaron.
Sword/Sheild, kinda lame. Starters look Meh, but I think I'll go with the Fire Bunny.
Late 2019 tho. Probably November. So far away.
Defaze
I'm thoroughly whelmed.

The fire bunny is atrocious and the water starter looks like a Mudkip/Froakie hybrid. The grass monkey is cute at least. The games themselves don't look particularly impressive either. I've noticed random encounters are back, which is a shame, since the new approach was one the few things Let's Go actually got right.
LMLou
I was hoping there would be a bit more change with the graphics, it looks like it’s gone back to what Sun and Moon were like and stepped down from Let’s Go.
It looks good enough but I was kinda hoping to be wowed
jakee
ooo galor is the UK upside down
WhoOdyssey
Really looking forward to this!

Love the UK-inspired setting biggrin.gif
Cody Burnett
Sensing a recurring theme here

Gen 5: Western Hemisphere
Gen 6: Eastern Hemisphere
Gen 7: Western
Gen 8: Eastern

so I’m thinking Gen 9 will be another Western Hemisphere region?
WhoOdyssey
Hopefully the return of gyms makes the anime return to adventuring!
Atonement
The starters are kinda cute but it's always the later stages that make the whole line look like a true mess. I mean, we can already tell that Scorbunny's final evolution is probably gonna be some ugly overgrown, buff hare. I'm leaning towards the monkey or maybe the water type.

The game looks nice but for me the most important/vital points are:
- the game shouldn't be too easy
- the game shouldn't be too short
and we won't know that until after release, so I can't really say anything yet about my level of excitement.

Cody Burnett
I'm already a Sobble stan just from that clip alone

Scorbunny and JooE from Momoland give off similar energies
Cody Burnett
btw here's the video for us to overanalyze the shit out of

I'm already seeing Stonehenge and Westminster Abbey references
Liаm
I don't want to say I'm underwhelmed, but I kinda am laugh.gif I LOVE the idea of a UK based region, but the starters while cute look a bit... basic? Like idk how to explain it, they kind of have too much of the same style and whilst they're different animals they just seem a bit similar.

I expected a bigger step up from Gen 7 graphically too, I guess it might be one of those that pops when you actually play it and they'll have added things etc. that show that. I'm still excited ofc! *.*
Dexton
Great to see Chespin, Mudkip, and Chimchar all making returns!
Envoirment
I like what I see, but am not that excited about it really. I'm hoping the game won't be too short/easy and that the evolutions for the starters will be decent!
Martyn
QUOTE(Codester X @ Feb 27 2019, 04:51 PM) *
Sensing a recurring theme here

Gen 5: Western Hemisphere
Gen 6: Eastern Hemisphere
Gen 7: Western
Gen 8: Eastern

so I’m thinking Gen 9 will be another Western Hemisphere region?

Isn't the UK also western?
lewistgreen
QUOTE(Martyn @ Feb 28 2019, 12:48 AM) *
Isn't the UK also western?

Yes but for Cody it isn’t haha
WhoOdyssey

There will indeed be another (presumably final) series of the Sun & Moon anime. Quite like the look of this, seems less slice of life than the previous S&M series.
Umi
Similar thoughts to the rest of you guys really. Map looks beautiful and I'm OK with the starter first stages but it's all about the gameplay at this point. A couple of generations ago I would have trusted the gameplay to be solid but I'm terrifed of a Sun/Moon rerun at this point.
Cody Burnett
From the trailer, it seems very "back to basics" with the gym emblems, random wild encounters and stuff, but what threw me off was the football stadium and the jerseys at the end before they highlighted the starters. Is that going to be relevant in the story? Does Pokemon have a World Cup theme?

What I'm more interested is how everything is going to look come the 2020 tournament season.
lewistgreen
Pokemon Direct presentation on June 5th at 2pm BST has just been announced and will include 15 mins of new information about Shield and Sword! I’ve just pre-ordered Shield this weekend smile.gif
WhoOdyssey
Darn Geography paper 2 tongue.gif I'll have to catch up on it later.
Prettylittlebry
Excited for news on these games. Can’t wait to see what tomorrow’s news will be
Prettylittlebry
Prediction before tomorrow’s direct:
Box art legendaries
Early route bird/rodent/bug Pokemon
Forms (if not, next trailer)
Evil Team (same as forms)
Starter 1st stage evolution
Bit more of a view of Galar
Release date
Bundle
Defaze
I just want some cross-gen evolutions. The likes of Dunsparce, Stantler and Girafarig deserve their time to shine after 20 years.
Cody Burnett
I know Gen 6 had Megas and Gen 7 had regional variants, I’d expect Gen 8 to come out with either something new or combining them both.

I just wish we got another Mystery Dungeon game sad.gif
Oliver
Is this Switch only? It'll be a shame for the series to desert the handheld consoles.
Liаm
There was a leak that had loads of evos for old Pokemon (like there was one for Dunsparce and one for Donphan) as well as Delta forms for Johto and Hoenn Pokemon but I'm assuming they were fake, you get so much shit coming out from people who know they can get a bit of clout while people are scrambling for info laugh.gif I hope we get "Galarian" forms though, I really liked the Alolan forms last time as it was an interesting way to breathe life into Pokemon that needed a bit of love to make them interesting again.

Apparently, and this seems more concrete, what we could be getting is armored Pokemon, which sounds even worse than Megas tbh
WhoOdyssey
QUOTE(Oliver @ Jun 4 2019, 08:09 PM) *
Is this Switch only? It'll be a shame for the series to desert the handheld consoles.

Of course it is, they're starting to ditch the 3DS now.

And the Switch can be handheld if you want it to be.
WhoOdyssey
Loads of new stuff announced! The games are out on November 15!

Cody Burnett

I still don’t understand what Dynamax is, is it just making them look bigger for enhanced visual effects? Also I’m liking how the “gyms” are stadiums in this!
Liаm
Dynamax sounds like a failed DVD alternative from 2002 laugh.gif Not sure about the idea tbh, I assume it will be like when there was the bigger Totem Pokemon and they had increased stats. I just don't really see the point, I'd much rather have something a bit more novel and interesting like the Alolan forms were :/ If every Pokemon can have it it might at least be more interesting than Megas.
Prettylittlebry
Corviknight and Wooloo are my faves so far. Also , Zacian is my fave of the legendaries so will be getting sword first
Atonement
Corviknight, Wooloo and Eldegoss are queens tbh. I don't like that the legendaries embody the names of the game so literally.

I'm not here for the new generational gimmick and I wish they would stop them all. I think I would have liked it better if there were just particular Dynamax battles, instead of getting to Dynamax once per BATTLE. That's a whole ffing lot of Dynamaxing if I'm not gonna like using it.

The last game I played was Black and White so seeing these graphics and camera control was really something else. I know it's still probably subpar compared to other games/consoles but for a Pokémon game I think they slay. I also like that weather conditions will influence was Pokémon you will encounter.
Liаm
QUOTE(Atonement @ Jun 5 2019, 05:49 PM) *
I'm not here for the new generational gimmick and I wish they would stop them all. I think I would have liked it better if there were just particular Dynamax battles, instead of getting to Dynamax once per BATTLE. That's a whole ffing lot of Dynamaxing if I'm not gonna like using it.

Yeah me too, I don't think every gen needs a "gimmick" like this, I think it makes it less special too with it seemingly being anyone can go Dynamax in any battle. I'd like it if there were certain boss Pokemon like within the evil teams, the rival's starter or a gym leader's ace that kind of emphasised them or upped their stats to make them more a challenge, but if it's just gonna be any old thing in any old battle I don't see the point.

I'd much rather they fleshed out Alolan forms or Mega Evolution a bit more, as much as I wasn't a fan of the latter.
lewistgreen
I cringed the whole way through at their presenters laugh.gif and Dynamax looks like a massive gimmick right now but I’m sure I’ll love it when I come to play it. Some of the gameplay looks fab!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.