BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> BROCKHAMPTON - GINGER
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 24th July 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

As there's no thread for this yet, new album coming next month!

Soooooo excited after properly getting into them last year! It to drop on my birthday tbh
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 27th July 2019, 12:12 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded

buzzjack fanbase where have u all disappeared to

+Quote this post
Brer
post 27th July 2019, 12:35 AM
Post #3
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

At least I'm still here x

Hype xx

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 27th July 2019, 05:28 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

Waiting patiently for the new album here. jump.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 27th July 2019, 10:16 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

I liked their last album, so I can't wait to see what coming next for them.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 1st August 2019, 06:32 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded

A high effort video from them as per usual kink.gif omg though I’m loving it, they genuinely never disappoint! It got more and more exciting as it went along. It feels somewhere in the middle of the 'Saturation' triology and 'iridescence' - there's a similar type of energy from the former but it also has more of a dark and experimental edge like the latter. Can't wait for the album!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th August 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon

I do like this but it seems like an odd choice of lead single, definitely feels more like an album track! Seen a lot of people saying Matt's outro should have been used as a hook and I do think that would have made the song flow a bit better, that and Kevin's verse were the highlights of it (as well as the production which is great as per). Think this will probably take a few listens to grow properly x

+Quote this post
mdh
post 8th August 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

Unfortunately I'm not feeling the singles too much at the moment sad.gif I hope there's some more SATURATION-esque tracks on the album ;o

+Quote this post
Jade
post 11th August 2019, 10:38 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Finding this song (and video tbh - blue people! shiny outfits!) even better - the brass production was such an ingenious idea *.*

+Quote this post
Brer
post 21st August 2019, 10:39 PM
Post #10
Group icon

Third single xx getting one more ('NO HALO') tonight ahead of the album release.

All 3 of these songs are proving to be growers for me after not sounding particularly standout on first listen, idk if they are just picking really weird single choices or the whole album is going to be this lacking in hooks (which I suppose 'iridescence' was as well). Both this and 'I BEEN BORN AGAIN' have a part which sounds like it'd be a perfect hook but it only gets used once in the song! This song in particular is so short that it really could have done with just repeating the Matt/Merlyn part even one more time.

(don't get me wrong I'm still loving all 3 of these songs and am very excited for the album, 'I BEEN BORN AGAIN' in particular has grown on me soooo much and I am in stan mode for it now lol, I just think these songs aren't the type of songs they should be putting out if they want to ever escape being a relatively niche act, it's like as soon as they signed to a major label they purposefully started making less commercially friendly music laugh.gif)

edit:

+Quote this post
Jade
post 24th August 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Alone and wounded

I'm a flop stan and still need to listen to the album (will do v soon) but ugh 'NO HALO' is an instant BROCKHAMPTON classic, what a stunning song wub.gif

Loved 'BOY BYE' also, Bray, although it could've done with being a bit longer!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 25th August 2019, 03:32 PM
Post #12
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Don't know if I prefer this or Iridescence, but I still enjoyed the album.
BOY BYE, ST. PERCY and IF YOU PRAY RIGHT are some of my faves.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 25th August 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

So I've not paid much attention to these before but I quite liked the songs in this thread - could someone point me out a few of their best tracks so I can take a delve?

+Quote this post
Jade
post 25th August 2019, 04:18 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(dandy* @ Aug 25 2019, 05:06 PM) *
So I've not paid much attention to these before but I quite liked the songs in this thread - could someone point me out a few of their best tracks so I can take a delve?

My personal favourites:

JUNKY
1999 WILDFIRE
GUMMY
SWEET
BOOGIE
ZIPPER
STAR
J'OUVERT
WEIGHT
NEW ORLEANS
DISTRICT
1998 TRUMAN
GOLD

I was going to restrict that to just 5 songs but I couldn't LOL

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 25th August 2019, 04:39 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Thank you Jade! Will begin with those...

+Quote this post
Brer
post 25th August 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Will listen to the album soon but 'NO HALO' is definitely definitely the one from this album. WHAT a song. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 26th August 2019, 10:56 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Alone and wounded

First listen ranking/rate

NO HALO (11/10)
IF YOU PRAY RIGHT (10/10)
BOY BYE (10/10)
I BEEN BORN AGAIN (9.5/10)
GINGER (9/10)
ST. PERCY (8.5/10)
DEARLY DEPARTED (8.5/10) ~ shook by the Dom verse
BIG BOY (8/10)
SUGAR (7.5/10)
VICTOR ROBERTS (7/10) ~ got better as it went along
LOVE ME FOR LIFE (7/10)

HEAVEN BELONGS TO YOU ~ not going to rank this as it's merely an interlude but omg slowthai!! we stan Northampton talent

A bit of a step down from iridescence (less 10s + hooks) but yeah not a single bad song so they've done it again! Very satisfied with the single choices as you can probably tell by my entire top 4 comprising of them. wub.gif now... tour the UK again please!! Was so happy when I saw tour news... until it said just North America :/

+Quote this post
Brer
post 26th August 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #18
Group icon

first listen thoughts

- 'NO HALO' is a song of life, up there with their best songs to date, flawless opener
- not really that into 'SUGAR' honestly, sounds like something that would have been one of the more forgettable songs on 'SATURATION', this was a kinda worrying start to the new songs on the album but thankfully it got a lot better x
- still wish 'BOY BYE' was longer but issa banger
- I had it spoiled before listening to the album but !!! at 'HEAVEN BELONGS TO YOU' being an interlude by slowthai, he keeps popping up on my faves' albums. a bit weird that this is basically just an additional verse to 'IF YOU PRAY RIGHT' but isn't even next to it on the tracklist but it's a solid verse from him x
- 'ST. PERCY' issa absolute banger *.* easily my fave of the album tracks and has potential to maybe be the 2nd or 3rd best song on the album with more listens. Merlyn's outro is iconic
- 'IF YOU PRAY RIGHT' still fab, this was the first time I've heard the album version which has a different outro that's not featured in the YouTube version so still partly a first reaction, I liked the new outro, sounded a little ~avant garde~
- 'DEARLY DEPARTED' is my 2nd fave of the new tracks, Dom's verse is really a powerful moment on here, the production on this is great too (as it is for basically every song but it particularly stood out here)
- 'I BEEN BORN AGAIN' remains my 2nd fave of the singles and for now still 2nd best song on the album which seems to be an unpopular opinion among the fanbase, it is definitely a weird single choice but I like it ~~
- 'GINGER' another v good album track and probs will grow more
- 'BIG BOY' also good, particularly the JOBA verse
- 'LOVE ME FOR LIFE' filler, coulda done without this one really but it's k
- 'VICTOR ROBERTS' I think works well as an album outro (and I really liked the Bearface part as short as it was) but it's not really something I'd ever want to listen to as a song in its own right, interesting choice from them to have an outro that's mostly not members of the group

'NO HALO' > 'I BEEN BORN AGAIN' > 'IF YOU PRAY RIGHT'/'HEAVEN BELONGS TO YOU' (as it's essentially just a weirdly sequenced extension of IYPR) > 'ST. PERCY' > 'DEARLY DEPARTED' > 'BOY BYE' > 'GINGER' > 'BIG BOY' > 'SUGAR' > 'VICTOR ROBERTS' > 'LOVE ME FOR LIFE'

Agreed that this is a slight step down from their previous album but I am still v happy with it overall, maybe my 3rd fave of their albums ('iridescence' being a close 2nd to 'SATURATION II').

~

'HEAVEN BELONGS TO YOU' has been given a video for some reason:

Apparently there is a video coming for 'DEARLY DEPARTED' too which should be pretty interesting!!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th August 2019, 05:18 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Simple but effectively powerful video to match the subject matter!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 4th September 2019, 02:38 AM
Post #20
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

guys I've been listening to GINGER for the last half an hour and I'm adoring it, I should listen to unobjective stans more often

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:18 AM