BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Avril Lavigne - The Singles Rate: THE RESULTS, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 6...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Nov 2 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Avril Lavigne - The Singles Rate: The Results

Welcome Buzzjack to the Avril Lavigne singles rate results, after weeks of voting the results will be posted in this thread, with 28 singles in the running & the same amount of you voted. Who will be the winner? thoughts, predictions? do share as all will be revealed very soon...

A reminder of what's to come =

Complicated
Sk8er Boi
I'm With You
Losing Grip
Mobile

Don't Tell Me
My Happy Ending
Nobody's Home
He Wasn't

Keep Holding On
Girlfriend
When You're Gone
Hot
The Best Damn Thing

Alice
What The Hell
Smile
Wish You Were Here

Here's To Never Growing Up
Rock N' Roll
Let Me Go [Ft Chad Kroeger]
Hello Kitty
Give You What You Like

Fly

Head Above Water
Tell Me It's Over
Dumb Blonde [Ft Nicki Minaj]
I Fell In Love With The Devil

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Nov 24 2019, 02:20 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 2 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'My Happy Ending' to win wub.gif 'Hello Kitty', 'Alice' and 'Dumb Blonde' to flop hard x

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 2 2019, 07:01 PM
Post #3
Group icon
A few facts =
    Only 4 songs didn't score any 10's
    14 Songs managed at least ONE 11
    There is a double tie (2 sets of songs got the same score/average)
    Only 1 song scored less than a 100 points (any guesses as to what that will be)

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 2 2019, 10:14 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Used to mean something, but now means nothing

#27. Let Me Go [Ft Chad Kroeger] | Avg.5.196

Highest Scores: 10: (gavindeejay, DJHazey), Lowest Scores: 0: (blacksquare, Bjork)

At #27 is a double whammy from her 5th self titled studio album (not a good start for that era), "Let Me Go" which features her then husband Chad Kroeger and released in October 2013 as the album's 3rd single and marks the first time Avril's first single to feature a guest performer. The song received mixed reviews, while the lyrics & Avril herself was praised, but Kroeger's vocals were criticized. Upon release it scored minor success, peaking at #12 in Canada (her highest in years), but performed poorly elsewhere such as (#78 in the USA & #66 in the UK). 'LMG' isn't necessarily a terrible song, in fact its quite haunting & beautiful, but I feel Chas's awful raspy vocals ruin it for me & this would have worked better as an Avril solo track. I do like the slow build-up from a soft start to a strong chorus and back again & the music video fits the storyline in the best visual way possible. On the whole its okay but she's had far better & definitely feel that this is one of her weakest tracks.

#28. Hello Kitty | Avg.3.446

Highest Scores: 8: (Tones and Iz, Eduardo), Lowest Scores: -1: (Jonjo, BiLLYx, Bjork, Dexton, Doug, Bloodjerdling)

In last place at #28 (was there any other contenders for this position) is the rather controversial "Hello Kitty", released in May 2014 as the 4th single from her 5th self titled album 'Avril Lavigne' for the Japanese market, but due to hype of the music video & digital downloads it ended up charting on the US Billboard charts, peaking at #76, making this the 2nd highest charting single from that album. Well what can I say about this that hasn't already been said? Well for one thing it did get people talking about her again as she hasn't been relevant since her 3rd album, but it was for all the wrong reasons and ended up doing more harm to her career than good, I think its safe to say that this pretty much killer her career stone cold DEAD!. The song really should have just stayed on the album & could have been a quite fun Techno/pop experiment (something I don't think she's ever done before), but the dubstep breakdown was already dated long before 2014. To call this cringey is an understatement WTF was she thinking. Of note this was the only song to score less than a 100 points & the only one to score multiple -1's.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 3 2019, 12:35 AM
Post #5
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Hello Kitty is a fun bop tbh x

Let Me Go is completely unremarkable, no loss. Alice escaping the bottom 2 though sad.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post Nov 3 2019, 04:00 AM
Post #6
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
'Let Me Go' did not deserve this sad.gif

+Quote this post
Eduardo
post Nov 3 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 5,804
Hello Kitty is so terrible it's good.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 3 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Alone and wounded
I'm glad that 'Hello Kitty' bombed so hard *.* I mean it's memeable, but aside from that, what was she thinking?! So so bad. I agree that the worst part about 'Let Me Go' is Chad but on the whole it's not particularly offensive, so I don't think it deserved last. 'Alice' and 'Dumb Blonde' out next please!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 3 2019, 06:47 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I may look innocent, don't underestimate me

#25. Dumb Blonde [Ft Nicki Minaj] | Avg.5.446

Highest Scores: 10: (cqmeron), Lowest Scores: -1: (troublepink)

At #25 we have one of Avril's newest offerings "Dumb Blonde" which features American rapper Nicki Minaj and released in February 2019 as the 3rd single from her 6th studio album "Head Above Water". The song was originally recorded solo, but later rerecorded to feature additional verses by Nicki. While I do like the throwback feel to her punk pop roots, this really doesn't fit the album at all & feels very tacked on the last minute. Who cares? I like it, set against a staccato backbeat of marching band drums and blaring brass & Avril's fun brassy in your face attitude shows that she still has it in her & while Nicki's rap doesn't add much to the song, its still a hell of a fun time and if this was released back in 2007 it would have smashed, however by 2019 it falls by the way-side.

#26. Fly | Avg.5.339

Highest Scores: 8: (DJHazey), Lowest Scores: 2: [SamJudd]

At #26 is one of Avril's very few stand-alone releases "Fly", Released in April 2015, for digital download by the "Special Olympics, Inc", she released the song as a charity single for 'The Avril Lavigne Foundation' to support the 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games. Written during the sessions for her fifth studio album & recorded in 2012 with the intention of being included on the album, but it didn't final cut. Returning to her roots she stripped it back and tried to focus on pure strength and power to inspire others once again. But the end result is very half-hearted and very MEH!, it tries very hard to be touching, but it just isn't there with generic lyrics. While the orchestra is a fitting touch for this song they should have gone bigger and bolder instead it just limps along & even Avril's vocal production is shocking and has some sort of auto-tune looped throughout the track making her sound robotic and losing the little emotion there was to begin with.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Nov 14 2019, 06:47 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 3 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Dumb Blonde is heaps of fun *.* Fly is... fine, but unremarkable.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post Nov 3 2019, 06:52 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155
Dumb blonde heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 3 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Alone and wounded
'Dumb Blonde' is tragic, no thanks x

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 3 2019, 11:18 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Emotions aren't that hard to borrow

#23. Give You What You Like | Avg.6.142

Highest Scores: 10: (BiLLYx, DJHazey), Lowest Scores: -1: (Eduardo)

At #23 & taking a big jump average wise "Give You What You Like", released in March 2015 as the 5th and final single from her self-titled 5th studio album, making this the 3rd to drop from that era. This was released to radio by 'Epic Records' & its been almost a year since the last single from that album was released, so I think that this was just a nice little treat for the fans. Shame this didn't get more attention as its definitely one of the best songs she's ever recorded & more people should hear it. The song shows Avril exploring something different a harrowing subject matter surrounded with such a dark atmosphere & Avril's fragile vocals are on top form here, this is a really great song & definitely a highlight moment on the album. Did hope that this would do better on here, but the last minute -1 really spiked its average & fell a couple of spots.

#24. Alice | Avg.5.571

Highest Scores: 10: (Troublepink), Lowest Scores: 0: (blacksquare)

At #24 and not finishing at the bottom like many of you predicted, "Alice", released in January 2010 for the "Almost Alice" soundtrack for the feature film 'Alice In Wonderland' & later appeared as a hidden track on her 4th studio album. This was her first single in 2 years & expectations were high? it didn't quite deliver as it underperformed almost everywhere; #59 peak in the UK (her first to miss the top 40) & #73 in the USA. But did have some success elsewhere by hitting top 5 in Japan & top 40 peaks in Austria, Germany & Australia. Avril fans were craving something new after such a long wait and....it sucked, the song was just forgettable and boring with Avril screeching through the verses while attempting to hit those high notes makes it difficult to enjoy. After enjoying her work on her first 3 albums, this was a major comedown and it started to feel at this point that her fanbase had started to outgrow her, thankfully she would bounce back with her next release.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 3 2019, 11:25 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Alone and wounded
I actually liked 'Alice' enough to download it back in 2010 and I'm not sure what I was thinking - blind stanning perhaps? laugh.gif I really do not like it these days anyway, her vocals are jarring and the chorus does not work with a mix of elongated notes and quickfire bits.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 4 2019, 12:54 AM
Post #15
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
'Dumb Blonde' most certainly should have come last. x

(I actually don't mind 'Hello Kitty', it's obviously objectively not very good but at least it's fun lol)

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 4 2019, 01:02 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
How could anyone give 'Give You What You Like' -1?!

+Quote this post
Eduardo
post Nov 4 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 5,804
QUOTE(SamJudd @ Nov 3 2019, 08:18 PM) *
Did hope that this would do better on here, but the last minute -1 really spiked its average & fell a couple of spots.

You're welcome laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 4 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Where are the hopes, where are the dreams, My Cinderella story scene?

#21. He Wasn't | Avg.6.75

Highest Scores: 9: (SamJudd, West, Bloodjerdling), Lowest Scores: 3: (blacksquare)

At #21 and just outside the top 20 is another final single "He Wasn't", released in March 2005 as the 4th single from her 2nd album "Under My Skin", except for the U.S. where "Fall To Pieces" was released to radio instead. It received mixed reviews & was a moderate success worldwide by reaching top 30 peaks in UK, Australia & Germany. Whilst its not one of her most creative songs its still pretty good & hell of a lot of fun with an energetic pace with its crunching punk guitars & some catchy verses that shows a lot of attitude & angst in Avril's vocals. Sure the song is a bit immature but feels very sincere at the same time & a good example of the darker tone of the album.

#22. The Best Damn Thing | Avg.6.375

Highest Scores: 9.5/9: (DJHazey, Jonjo), Lowest Scores: 2: (blacksquare)

At #22 is "The Best Damn Thing", released in June 2008 as the 4th and final single from her 3rd studio album of the same name. It was only released in a few European countries & Brazil. It failed to make much impact worldwide with low peaks in Austria, Germany & Canada, & for that reason it wasn't given a UK release & managed to chart on the US Bubbling Under Chart at #7, despite no physical release. The song is fine enough its a fun little bop on the album with a catchy chorus, fun chant-like verses that's similar to the lead, but far more mellow & really captures the spirit of the era really well; her vocals blend together nicely with the drum kit, electric guitar and piano and the bridge effortlessly leads you to the chorus.But that's where it should have stayed and didn't find it strong enough for a single release, the really bad promotion didn't help matters as the era was pretty much long dead by this point. In my opinion maybe "Innocence" could have been a better choice.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 4 2019, 10:37 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Now that we're heading into the top 20, here's a quick re-cap of the results so far;

21-28

21. He Wasn't - 6.75
22. The Best Damn Thing - 6.375
23. Give You What You Like - 6.146
24. Alice - 5.571
25. Dumb Blonde [Ft Nicki Minaj] - 5.446
26. Fly - 5.339
27. Let Me Go [Ft Chad Kroeger] - 5.196
28. Hello Kitty - 3.446

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Nov 4 2019, 10:38 PM

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 4 2019, 11:04 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Aw one of my 9s out already sad.gif 'He Wasn't' is definitely a highlight from 'Under My Skin' for me - the guitar on that is brilliant and her quick-fire delivery during the chorus is infectious. 'The Best Damn Thing' is a bit of a guilty pleasure with the whole 'Shake It Off'-esque chanting parts but it just works. Solid chorus.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:43 AM