Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emma Bunton - Coming Home for Christmas + Santa Baby
BuzzJack Music Forum > Artist Forums > View All Artists > Spice Girls and Solo
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ThePoguesmith
Just announced on The One Show tonight, a brand new original Christmas single from Emma is out next Friday.
Slade
The clip sounded nice on The One Show! Looking forward to it.
ThePoguesmith
QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 5 2019, 07:32 PM) *
The clip sounded nice on The One Show! Looking forward to it.

I know, it sounds gorgeous! One for my festive playlists this year I think dance.gif
vibe
I hope it is good .

At least it is an original and not Chris Rea .
Michael Andrew
'Coming Home For Christmas' sounds gorgeous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UtOUmHRiio
sammy01
Was really hoping for it to be upbeat. Her voice will be gorgeous and I'm sure suit a Christmas song but yeah something like One more sleep would have been preferred.
Jay ☆
Sounds like a pretty song based on the clip, hopefully the full thing is great!
pippa
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Nov 5 2019, 08:32 PM) *
Was really hoping for it to be upbeat. Her voice will be gorgeous and I'm sure suit a Christmas song but yeah something like One more sleep would have been preferred.

Me too.
tommie
Is it this song:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coming_Home_for_Christmas

Emma, covering a 15 year old song.
sammy01
She said it is an original song.
tommie
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Nov 5 2019, 10:52 PM) *
She said it is an original song.

Mmhm, "original song" is a very loose term these days.
sammy01
I'm just saying what she said, there is a clip of it, it is a ballad. The chorus is coming home for Christmas repeated.
tommie
Well, are we sure it's not that obscure song I posted?
Blond 2.0
Sounds lovely and I'm glad it's original and not a cover
masahiro
do you think this is one off single?
or My Happy Place Christmas reissue is coming?

so glad we have 2 spice songs for 2 weeks in a row!
Mr.X
It's a bit strange that she has announced it on live TV but there's no info on her social media/websites tbh. I would think she will just be releasing a single, with possible an EP or re-edition of My Happy Place, but after this year in Spice World, I guess you never know hey

x
sammy01
I'm guessing as it isn't out for 9 days, next week her social media will start to push it.
Mr.X
So the song is now out in New Zealand and release includes a cover version of Santa Baby

You can hear snippets here: https://music.apple.com/nz/album/coming-hom...ngle/1486940736

Seems like there is no video or cd release. Hope she does some campaigning for it though...
Jay ☆
Nice to have two tracks! Santa Baby is a great choice for her.

Emma's version to poach streams from Kylie this year and become a top 40 hit? cool2.gif (Lol)
Mr.X
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Nov 14 2019, 03:28 PM) *
Nice to have two tracks! Santa Baby is a great choice for her.

Emma's version to poach streams from Kylie this year and become a top 40 hit? cool2.gif (Lol)

ah tbh she does seem to be going for that Low Budget Kylie crown this Christmas, what with a Xmas single and a gig at the Albert Hall pirate.gif

Lets hope this gets included in various playlists on Spotify/Apple Music and Tidal, otherwise it will sink into nothingness straight away as there is no buzz whatsoever for it anywhere lol
sammy01
From that clip the lyrics are so incredibly on the nose, they have gone for any Christmas words that rhyme.

Santa baby sounds like a completely paint by numbers copy of Kylie.
JaneJ
I like Coming Home for Christmas, lovely. wub.gif
vibe
And Kylie copied Madonna ....
tommie
QUOTE(vibe @ Nov 14 2019, 09:04 PM) *
And Kylie copied Madonna ....

To be fair - Madonna and Kylie's versions of Santa Baby are nothing alike. Madonna's leans more into the comedy side if anything with those chipmunk vocals.
sammy01
Yeah I meant Emma sings it is a bit if a flirty/cheeky way that Kylie does.
sammy01
Coming home for Christmas is a cute song, a decent effort. The last chorus is utterly overkill though church bells, triangles, sleigh bells, any sense of actual rhythm gets lost on the last chorus. It is a 7 out of 10, 8 had the last chorus not been so messy.

Santa baby is pretty pointless, it is a kylie copy.
Mr.X
Coming Home For Christmas is ok. I quite like the business of the last chorus tbh. My main issue is with some of the lyrics in the verses. But overall, it's not bad at all, I was expecting much worse ah Santa Baby is just tacky ah, and a bit creepy ohmy.gif

Nice to have some new Bunton tracks though, specially a new original one!
dachiki
I don't really like Christmas songs except Christmas mariah songs
vibe
Just listened and Emma seems to be singing in her lower register which isnít her strength .

I think I prefer Santa Baby.

So now I have Madonnaís and Emmaís version .
tommie
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Nov 14 2019, 09:16 PM) *
Yeah I meant Emma sings it is a bit if a flirty/cheeky way that Kylie does.

There's only so many ways to do Santa Baby without reverting to something really drastic ie Almighty Sleighbell Remix.

I'm not really sure Santa Baby is a good song from the perspective that Kylie's version seems to have really taken over as the version people listen to/stream besides Eartha's version. I don't think people will necessarily seek Emma's out, so I think they could've chosen a famous Christmas song that doesn't really have any version that gets too dominant streaming.
sammy01
Michael Buble has a very different take and version on Santa Baby, it can be done.
tommie
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Nov 15 2019, 09:30 AM) *
Michael Buble has a very different take and version on Santa Baby, it can be done.

I haven't heard his version but I assume it's some form of big band version of it?

Yeah, of course, Emma could've done something with a full orchestra, but to be real here - this was likely produced on the cheap side. As I said, I would've gone for a famous song that might not have a hugely dominant version that's available on streaming. I assume the reason they included Santa Baby in this was just for that reason - to attempt to lure people who stream into checking out her Christmas track, but her Santa Baby will just get drowned out by Kylie's version and Eartha's original.
vibe
Its a shame these christmas songs sound like they have been recorded in their shed in the garden.
sammy01
I agree about the production, My happy place could have had much better production too.
Tawdry Hepburn
Ugh. Keep it.
Mr.X
Her streaming numbers are TERRIBLE!

Youtube: 3,500
Spotify: less than 1000

ohmy.gif

There has been no press campaign for this song at all either... I'm filing this under 'bonus for the fans' tongue.gif
sammy01
It is just to help her promote the Albert Hall gig and it is only mid November. I cant imagine anyone rushing to listen to it right now, even her fans till December.

I'm sure she has done over 1k streams on Spotify but it wont update till tomorrow.
Mr.X
It usually updates regularly during the day. Genuinely feel that it's just not done over 1000 streams lol

But yes clearly it is just for promo for Albert Hall gig. Hope she has some promo lined up though. Her tweet about it mentioned she will sing it live for the first time at the concert so don't expect any performances of the song until then.

Let's hope it gets added to a few Christmas playlists come December, that is genuinely the only way she will get noticed at all.
Mr.X
I STAND CORRECTED!

It has now been updated for 2930 streams on Spotify sleep.gif
tommie
I haven't even bothered to listen to it or Santa Baby, so... huh.gif Do people really listen to Christmas songs mid-November? Except for All I Want For Christmas, of course...
sammy01
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Nov 16 2019, 10:13 AM) *
I STAND CORRECTED!

It has now been updated for 2930 streams on Spotify sleep.gif

$ucce$$

But yeah the song is cute but I'm not rushing to listen to it in mid November.
Mr.X
Realistically, what are the chances of her doing Radio and TV performances for this song?

TV she could have:

- Strictly Come Dancing
- Jonathan Ross
- Loose Women
- Good Morning Britain (do they still do performances?)
- Graham Norton (probably never for a solo spice ah)

And I am sure there will be plenty of Christmas specials she could perform at, no?
Spiceboy
It's a sweet enough song simple and inoffensive. However her voice sounds utterly dreadful on the verses, why on earth is she singing in that low register also is she singing down her nose?
Spiceboy
Listening to Santa Baby now, her voice sounds much more pleasant on this one suits her a lot more.
tommie
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Nov 16 2019, 12:55 PM) *
Realistically, what are the chances of her doing Radio and TV performances for this song?

I think it'll depend on if they really plan to push this track or not.

If it's just released to promote her Albert Hall gig, then I assume any sort of extensive tv or radio promotion is out. With it being released under BMG I guess there's a chance they'll do more with it though.
Spiceboy
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Nov 16 2019, 11:55 AM) *

TV she could have:

- Strictly Come Dancing
- Jonathan Ross
- Loose Women
- Good Morning Britain (do they still do performances?)
- Graham Norton (probably never for a solo spice ah)

And I am sure there will be plenty of Christmas specials she could perform at, no?

Would be wonderful if they could get a few of these slots! Strictly has some complete random performances so she could possibly get a slot on there if BMG were willing to pay out for it. Can't see any solo Spice getting a Graham Norton slot ever again though tbh... cry.gif (shame as he is so much better than Ross)
sammy01
I think she is more likely to go on shows and have a sit down chat as promo.

Jay ☆
Itís a very sweet song, but yeah I donít feel like overplaying it right now. Iím sure come December Iíll give it a lot more time though. I really hope itíll be added to some festive playlists!
Slick
I think it's sweet and suits her voice really well. Time will tell how replayable it is.
Michael Andrew
Agreed. Emma's voice sounds beautiful throughout. Flawless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.