BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How do you consume songs, playlists and collections in 2020?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
How do you consume songs, playlists and collections in 2020?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 58
Guests cannot vote 
Tangela
post Mar 3 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643
A few questions I'm curious to know the consensus for!

If you have any further input please add a post.

- Do you (usually) play compilation playlists such as Hot Hits in order or on shuffle?

- Do you (usually) create your own playlists?

- Do you (usually) listen to ready-made compilation playlists?

- What determines what you add to your own playlists?

- Do you usually listen to artist albums, EPs and mixtapes?

- Do you use apps such as Shazam to inform your listening selection?

- Do you feel ready-made/curated playlists skew musical tastes and the charts?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post Mar 3 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
- Do you (usually) play compilation playlists such as Hot Hits in order or on shuffle?
play in order - but I usually don't use such playlists for anything more than going through and skimming for unknown tracks, it helps to skim in order to know where I am in the playlist.

yes

no

release radar is a godsend, first thing on a Friday I skim through that and add anything I like the sound of into a dedicated NMF playlist.
which I then listen to in full and put the best tracks in my own hot hits playlist.
I also check out a few other curated playlists occasionally so I'll pick the playlist shuffling option too, but it's mostly the new music playlists.

no - I only usually check out those from those I'm a big fan of

no

yes
but I feel like they're a bit of a necessity to keep the chart from moving even slower than it is, it's hard for dance and pop tracks to take off on their own. I just wish hot hits uk would be even faster at adding new songs and making them a priority.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Mar 3 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Good to see people still in the main create their own playlists.
I've always wondered when you listen to your own playlist when on the bus and offline does that count to the chart?

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Mar 3 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
I love doing my own Greatest Hits, with all the songs I like and in the perfect order smile.gif that's what I listen to the most

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Mar 5 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
- I can't remember the last time I listened to a playlist such as this but if I was I would listen on shuffle (and probably very passively)

- Yes

- Nope

- Release radar is my main go-to, sometimes there's influence from BJSC and another indie song thing I do called EPIC and then there's the odd song I just pick up.

- Only if it's an artist I REALLY like, I would say I listen to about 3 or 4 albums in one year.

- No.

- Yes, but as Dan said I think the charts would be even slower without them.

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post Mar 5 2020, 09:34 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 29,031
Do you (usually) play compilation playlists such as Hot Hits in order or on shuffle?

Neither.

Do you (usually) create your own playlists?

Absolutely. I have a new music playlist which feeds into my fake Top 40 playlist. Current #1 - Say So, since you didn't ask. And then I have my Alternative Nows which round up the biggest bangers of the past four months or so.

Do you (usually) listen to ready-made compilation playlists?

Sometimes I listen to recent Nows to see how they have approached sequencing.

What determines what you add to your own playlists?

My Friday morning ritual sees me checking New Music Friday to see if anything looks appealing but I also look at what Radio 1 have added to their playlist. I add things people I like have 'dropped' throughout the week too.

Do you usually listen to artist albums, EPs and mixtapes?

I'm definitely a singles man. I'm more likely to give an album a spin if I'm really into the band or if the pre-release singles have made me really excited. But I only seem to get properly into a small handful of albums each year. Too much filler, if you ask me.

Do you use apps such as Shazam to inform your listening selection?

Every so often.

Do you feel ready-made/curated playlists skew musical tastes and the charts?

Oh yeah, total echo chamber with passive streams being far too influential. Don't know what the solution is.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by HiyaLuv: Mar 5 2020, 10:06 PM

+Quote this post
Tangela
post Mar 8 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Tangelic
So approx 80% of people shuffle compilation playlists such as Hot Hits - the ordering of the playlist therefore doesn't matter much, sure the top songs will get a bit more visibility but the increase in exposure is quite minimal based on those stats.

@Bjork you might find that interesting tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post Mar 8 2020, 10:59 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49
My primary consumption of music is still CDs, downloads and Vinyl but I listen to New Music Friday UK every week in order and add any songs I like to my playlists (I updated my version of Hot Hits 'Grand Hits' last week) If there is anything I really like and if I don't know the artist I check more of their music out and follow them on Twitter if I like them. If I really like anything then I usually go and either buy their single or album. However I don't understand how people can see streaming services as their main way of 'discovering' music without having some kind of outside direction as discover playlists tend to be absolute rubbish and I find it frustrating when I hear a hidden gem really far down a playlist as I feel lots of people may be missing out on great songs buried deep in playlists.

As much as I feel that due to other streaming services gaining more marketshare has made the charts better and less predictable I still feel that playlists and the way everything is calculated does skew the figures to the point that it doesn't actually represent what is actually popular as some people will leave a playlist running even if they don't like the song. If there was a way to determine if someone chose a particular song or a way to see if someone keeps playing a certain song on a playlist without leaving the door open to manipulation that would be better but in general I would like to see something done about playlists but it's probably gonna be like ACR where they're gonna have to keep adjusting the rules as time goes on. I've said this before the OCC can only work with the data they're given so I don't want to go around in circles too much again

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Mar 8 2020, 11:09 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
QUOTE(Tangela @ Mar 8 2020, 11:15 AM) *
So approx 80% of people shuffle compilation playlists such as Hot Hits - the ordering of the playlist therefore doesn't matter much, sure the top songs will get a bit more visibility but the increase in exposure is quite minimal based on those stats.

haha sure it's interesting, but I think we're in the minority... you just have to look at the spotify charts and see there is a direct correlation between being high on HH and being high on the charts...wish it wasn't like this, but sadly it is...

+Quote this post
DanChartFan
post Mar 10 2020, 10:40 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,866
QUOTE(Tangela @ Mar 8 2020, 10:15 AM) *

I wonder whether those people who have any tendency to watch or listen to things in strict order (of which I am one) are, almost by definition, more likely to ignore pre-compiled playlists and instead construct their own playlists, so as to achieve the 'correct' order they crave. e.g. I have randomly created playlists for certain week's singles charts (trying to find the time each week to do one for the chart from exactly 25 years previously), or chronological through say an artists career (perhaps if they have just passed) or through something else (e.g I have one for my birthday number ones through time). If there isn't a pedantic order to put the songs in, like those I mentioned, then I don't use playlists at all and just search for and select each song as I go.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Mar 11 2020, 02:00 AM
Post #11
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Good questions! Was just discussing this the other day.

A few questions I'm curious to know the consensus for!

If you have any further input please add a post.

I don't play these except occasionally a wee skite through them to hear new songs, in that case it would be on shuffle

literally always. I do it like a radio playlist, with an A-List, B-List etc. My A-list is always linked in my sig just fyi laugh.gif

nope

good question. by this point it's mostly anything by an artist I already know that's a new release. I'll check through the new releases and add anything I like the sound of from a preview listen, then depending on how I like it it'll go into the A-list or not. Sometimes something that has buzz I've seen online, in the handy new releases post on this forum, or something one of my friends has mentioned will go in there too. Or anything I like the name of that I'll give a spin to!

pretty rarely. These days I'm much more likely to take one song and playlist it, then revisit the EP for another one later, to artificially construct 'singles'

I don't use these

I think they must do, especially if people are just listening to those instead of making their own. Essentially that's like payola in my view - playing on the idea of making compilation CDs, but each play counts as something like a 'purchase' of the original song as if it were a single. But, that's not that different to how radio did (and still does) skew the mainstream taste in my view - its even just as accessible with the click of a button, like radio has been for decades!

This post has been edited by J00ps: Mar 11 2020, 02:01 AM

+Quote this post
Tangela
post Mar 11 2020, 06:56 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Tangelic
QUOTE(DanChartFan @ Mar 10 2020, 10:40 PM) *
...or chronological through say an artists career (perhaps if they have just passed) or through something else (e.g I have one for my birthday number ones through time)...

Good point - I see these like albums - to be consumed in a certain order due to a specific reason. However Hot Hits (or our own compilation equivalents) are not. I did however used to create compilation CDs for Mum's car when I was younger and there was a science to working out the exact ordering to that as well as the CD wouldn't be on shuffle!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:26 AM