BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Material Girl ● 35 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 25th March 2020, 09:51 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

23rd March marked 35 years since 'Material Girl' reached #2 on the US Billboard Hot 100. Second single to be lifted from her sophomore album, Like a Virgin, the song is a tongue-n-cheek take on materialism, identifying ambition and security as more appealing than love and emotion. The concept suited Madonna's career-driven attitude, as well as her provocative instinct which she exercises by delivering a playful, girlish vocal to match Nile Rodgers' infectious synths. 'Material Girl' was a success across the world, becoming one of her most known songs as it established Madonna as an icon and a defining figure for a generation.

Equally as iconic was its accompanying music video, a tribute to Marilyn Monroe's performance of 'Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend' in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. The dance sequence was a favourite of Madonna's and she related to Marilyn's vulnerability, sexuality and the idealisation of her. Interspersed with these homage scenes was the storyline of a director woos Madonna with flowers over material gifts, conflicting with the lyrics and continuing the ironic tone Madonna wished to highlight in the song.

Madonna views the song in a slightly negative light for its title remaining a label attached to her, but how well do you regard the song? Share your thoughts and memories below.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th March 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

+Quote this post
vibe
post 26th March 2020, 09:45 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

The video where she met Sean Penn.

It has never been one of my faves but it is truly iconic. Strangely for how well known it isnt one of her biggest sellers of the 80's.

Regarding live performances , TVT wins for me. Teasing the men, throwing her knickers !!! Love it!!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th March 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I enjoy the song but Madonna has surpassed it so many times, like I doubt it would even be in my Madonna Top 50, so it is a tad annoying it's one of the main songs people associate with Madonna.

Some fun performance though. Re-invention would be my favourite, it works surprisingly well on guitar and I like the message of it within the context of the Military section of the tour.

QUOTE(vibe @ Mar 26 2020, 09:45 AM) *
Strangely for how well known it isnt one of her biggest sellers of the 80's.

Agreed, especially after 'Like a Virgin' was so huge too. Back in 1985, it wasn't that far ahead of 'Gambler' in terms of sales! At least downloads and subsequently streams has helped push the song above half a million now.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 27th March 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

It's one of my faves from madonna.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 1st April 2020, 09:17 PM
Post #6
Group icon
User: 13,007

She definitely has much better in her back catalogue, but this is iconic in its own right!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 04:48 PM