BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OCC: Gerry Cinnamon in numbers
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Apr 17 2020, 06:45 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

The rise and rise of Gerry Cinnamon in numbers
17 April 2020 | By Rob Copsey
The last five years has seen the Scottish singer-songwriter gain a massive cult following.

Whether you're fan of Gerry Cinnamon and his music or not, his rapid rise to success is significant.

Over the last five years, the 35-year-old singer, songwriter and guitarist has gone from performing at open mic nights in his hometown of Castlemilk, Glasgow to mainstream chart success and selling out huge venues - all while remaining a fully independent artist.

His debut album Erratic Cinematic, released in Septemner 2017, was the definition of a slow burner. Without any major label support, the making of the album was funded by fans through PledgeMusic and put out through his own label, called Little Runaway. Promotion consisted solely of performances at gigs and festivals; and as the venues got bigger, awareness and sales of the collection grew.

Erratic Cinematic is a collection of indie rock inspired by Bob Dylan, Oasis and The Rolling Stones, sung in his local accent and full of brutally honest lyrics. He’s often referred to as a ‘people’s poet’ and has chosen to shun the traditional structure of the music industry, something that has earned him a cult following.

To celebrate the release of second album The Bonny this week (April 17), we look at the Gerry Cinnamon's success so far in numbers. View Gerry's Official Chart history in full here.

The number of chart sales Erratic Cinematic shifted in its first week of release in September 2017. As the album wasn’t released physically at this point (that didn't happen until January 2019), 96% of its sales were downloads, with the remaining 4% coming from streams.

By the end of 2017 the collection’s chart sales figure stood at this number.

Almost a year after the album's release, in July 2018, Erratic Cinematic entered the Official Albums Chart for the first time at Number 66 following a BBC broadcast of his performance at Glasgow's TRNSMT festival. Gerry's set had been moved to a later, higher profile slot after J Hus had to cancel his appearance.

A year later, in July 2019, the album peaked at 17 on the Official Albums Chart, shifting 3,062 chart sales that week. The peak coincided with his announcement of his biggest UK-wide tour for November/December that year.

The highest weekly chart sales figure of Erratic Cinematic, which fell in the final week of 2019. That same week he had performed two sell-out shows at Glasgow's SSE Hydro Arena.

68 (and still growing)
The number of weeks Erratic Cinematic has spent in the Official Albums Chart Top 100 so far.

How many copies the album has sold on vinyl in the UK since its release on the format in January 2019.

The current total UK chart sales of Erratic Cinematic.

The number of people he'll be performing to at his biggest headline show ever, at Glasgow's Hampden Park in July, which sold out in hours.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 17 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #2
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

Gerry is such an interesting act for me.

I know who he is but I couldn’t tell you a single song he’s ever done and I’ve never once heard him on radio or seen him on a music channel etc yet he is a cult like figure. I very often see videos of his stuff on YouTube from friends sharing them and even my parents know who he is (yet they don’t know mainstream successful people like Dua Lipa or Mabel laugh.gif )

Good to luck to him it’s good to see different kind of people in the chart and props to him for doing it without major support.

His style for music for me though is probably my least favourite genre of music of every genre there is laugh.gif the whole talking type vocals is just a no no for me and pretty much all of his influences are also amongst my worst artists of all time too.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Apr 17 2020, 08:20 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,155

Such a unique rise to fame achieved without fanfare via gigs and word of mouth.

The new album is INCREDIBLE - really hope it smashes on first week sales.

+Quote Post
Mangø
post Apr 17 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 151

I can name a couple of his songs but don't know too much about him other than that. For example I had no idea he was 35, I always assumed he was in his early 20s!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:59 AM