BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Vampire Diaries / The Originals / Legacies, The CW | the full franchise
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 17th May 2020, 12:46 AM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

The old Vampire Diaries thread hasn't been posted in for years and there seemed to be no topic for either of its spin-offs, so I thought a fresh thread for the full franchise would be quite a good idea!

The Vampire Diaries
[2009 - 2017]

Starring
Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert / Katherine Pierce
Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers
Kat Graham as Bonnie Bennett
Candice King as Caroline Forbes
Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan
Kayla Ewell as Vicki Donovan
Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood
Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman
Joseph Morgan as Klaus Mikaelson
Michael Malarkey as Enzo St. John

The Originals
[2013 - 2018]

Starring
Joseph Morgan as Klaus Mikaelson
Daniel Gillies as Elijah Mikaelson
Claire Holt as Rebekah Mikaelson
Phoebe Tonkin as Hayley Marshall
Charles Michael Davis as Marcel Gerard
Daniella Pineda as Sophie Devereux
Leah Pipes as Cami O'Connell
Danielle Campbell as Davina Claire
Yusuf Gatewood as Vincent Griffith
Riley Voelkel as Freya Mikaelson
Danielle Rose Russell as Hope Mikaelson
Stephen Krueger as Josh Rosza

Legacies
[2018 - present]

Starring
Danielle Rose Russell as Hope Mikaelson
Aria Shahghasemi as Landon Kirby
Kaylee Bryant as Josie Saltzman
Jenny Boyd as Lizzie Saltzman
Quincy Fouse as MG
Peyton Alex Smith as Rafael Waithe
Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman
Chris Lee as Kaleb Hawkins
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th May 2020, 12:46 AM
Post #2
Group icon

THIS IS YOUR SPOILER WARNING - I discuss ALL THREE SHOWS in depth in this post!

I've posted about this elsewhere on the forum but for those who may not know, I've ended up binging this entire franchise from start to finish. I'm already attending a convention for The 100 in September (pending corona of course), but the same company's Vampire Diaries convention had to be postponed from May. They've merged the two events, so I realised I needed to watch it all to fully immerse myself in that weekend.

I'm so glad I did. It's been a gigantic task - 295 episodes in total! It's crazy but it was so worth it. Each show brings something completely different to the table and I really appreciated that - watching a combined total of 15 seasons all on the same themes as The Vampire Diaries would've been a lot more tedious...!

Starting with The Vampire Diaries itself then. Firstly, I never really get why 22 episode seasons are necessary and most of TVD's eight seasons had 22 episodes (or 23 in the case of one...), so it's not without filler. However, it mostly used the extra episodes to develop the large cast it had at any one time. Elena's a strong lead, though rarely the most interesting character - both Stefan and Damon filled that quota instead. I was always more of a Stefan fan than Damon, so the fact that Elena and Damon ended up as the ultimate ship of the series was... a little underwhelming for me. That said, season 6 relied on them both quite heavily and it was my absolute favourite of the entire run. Partly down to the on-screen chemistry between Ian Somerhalder and Kat Graham, who played frenemies so brilliantly as Damon and Bonnie. Bonnie was absolutely one of my favourites throughout, alongside Caroline of course, and also Jeremy who sadly ended up a little underused by the time he was written out. I suppose I should be glad he got out of the show alive - most exits were in a coffin...! Justice for Jenna, her death felt really cruel and premature. I'd say Alaric too but of course, he was resurrected - don't think I'd ever have seen that coming but no complaints, he always served as a good anchor for the rest of the cast.

On the other hand, I always really strongly disliked Klaus in TVD. He was far too dominant and his storyline went on waaaaaay too long, and the amount of times one of the protagonists decided they were going to kill him... :') I wasn't really huge on any of the original vampires in TVD in fact - I had no real opinion of Elijah, and Rebekah was annoying. As you can see, I had low expectations for The Originals...! The show had a bit of a slow start (22 episode seasons strike again) but it REALLY picked up in season 2. We got to see more sides to Klaus, thanks to Hayley and baby Hope. Elijah became a suave, likeable badass, and Rebekah became my sass queen. The characterisations worked far better in the New Orleans setting with differing storylines, mostly on family and power struggles. I liked most of the cast of The Originals in fact - Klaus and Cami were a great couple, so of course, they couldn't last :') Davina and Kol worked surprisingly well together and I really rooted for them too. Freya ended up becoming my favourite though <3 she proved her worth to the family, and her relationship with Keelin was one of the few rays of postivity this franchise got...! I absolutely would have loved to see the show continue for a bit longer, there was definitely potential.

Legacies steps even further into the realm of fantasy, led by Klaus' daughter Hope, attending Alaric's school for supernaturals alongside his daughters Josie and Lizzie. This show stretches believability even further than its predecessors already have, perhaps too far at times with the introduction of a huge amount of legendary supernatural beings, including gargoyles, phoenixes and dragons. However, where this show really excels is through the characterisation. The twins are complex, interesting characters, Hope is a great protagonist, and there's nobody in the main cast I dislike either. Excited to see more of this show as it goes on!

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 20th June 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

I am currently watching The Originals (I know I should have watched TVD first but Claire and Phoebe have my H20 heart). It is so good! I am currently on S4 E3 and I do think Season 2 is my fav so far.

Although last night I was in tears over Cami's death. I think she is probs my fav character in the show. Then was hit with Davina's death in the same episode but I know she comes back.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 20th June 2020, 04:16 PM
Post #4
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Also, Freya is such a queen. I love her.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th June 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon

Freya is bae heart.gif my fave

Glad you're enjoying, Cam, it's such a great show and far better than I ever expected it to be! Definitely check out TVD after as well though I may, marginally, prefer The Originals...!

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 20th June 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #6
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

I have seen clips of TVD so I will check it out afterward!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 20th June 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #7
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

The Originals is freaking BRILLIANT. There’s so much focus on the lore and it builds on to the universe nicely. I never really got into TVD aside from Stefan and Steroline scenes, but the spin-offs do a much better job at Universe building than its parent show.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th June 2020, 07:44 PM
Post #8
Group icon

I'd agree with that - TVD was somewhere in between being a teen show and a complex supernatural drama, so it seemed like focusing on the lore never really became part of the equation. Good for The Originals though, seeing as it was able to drop the teen element of its sister show!

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 20th June 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #9
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

SCREAMING at Freya and Keelin. YAS

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th June 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #10
Group icon

wub.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 22nd June 2020, 12:18 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I wonder why legacies isn’t on Netflix? I’ve watched all the Vampire Diaries and all The Originals totally love the shows!

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 25th June 2020, 09:08 PM
Post #12
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

I'm halfway through season 5 (of The Originals) and I am not feeling it. I am finding it slow and lowkey boring. zzz.gif Obviously I'll watch until the end as it is the final season.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th June 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Seasons 2-4 are the golden era of The Originals. 5 is mostly wrapping stuff up + setting up Legacies, it's not quite as solid but I still found it reasonably enjoyable!

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 25th June 2020, 10:34 PM
Post #14
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*

Yeah, I have now finished it! It has left a nice door for Legacies!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th April 2021, 01:06 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Season 3 of Legacies has been airing this year and I think it's my favourite to date wub.gif the characters are getting more room to breathe and they're all really likeable. Josie and Lizzie are queens, and MG and Ethan are an inspired duo *.* kinda hoping to move on from the Malivore stuff after this season though, I'd like a new threat!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 22nd October 2021, 10:50 AM
Post #16
Group icon

Rebekah Mikaelson (Claire Holt) confirmed to be appearing in Legacies this season! cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 23rd October 2021, 07:57 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I haven’t watched legacies sadly as it isn’t on Netflix so not sure how to watch it. Shame as I loved all the vamp diaries and the originals.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:24 PM