BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What does Chromatica mean to you? • Theories
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 18th June 2020, 02:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I saw a comment on Youtube that really intrigued me:

Chromatica I: Commercial
Chromatica II: Experimental
Chromatica III: Liberational

Makes perfect sense. But I feel it's also documenting her career thus far, too.

Chromatica I (The Fame & Born This Way - ROM obviously explains being torn down by the press - but keeps going etc.. she ends up not having "fun tonight" and just wants to experiment more)
Chromatica II (ARTPOP & Joanne - She got her wish to experiment more but was still held back by label interference (being used like a Plastic Doll) so she felt "stuck" and "on replay" and it came across quite "messy")
Chromatica III (ASIB & Chromatica - She's got her passion back! She saw a "sine (the musical note?)/sign from above" and remembered why she loves doing what she does!)

What about you guys? Have you had any interesting theories about this album?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 18th June 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

That's an incredible theory and I feel dumb that I haven't thought out of the box like that x

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 18th June 2020, 11:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I feel like the theme of the album is like an alternative universe / world. Alice being the first song makes me feel like she’s entering her own wonderland and by the time we get to Babylon she’s kinda like entering another universe as though that story is told.

The album has elements of toxicity what’s happened to her in the past, Fun Tonight, 911, Enigma and Replay all kinda touch on that. I often feel like Replay is about the toxic side of fanbase wars and Stan Twitter. The “monsters torture me” line on that could even be about our fan base like the really obsessive stans who are bad on social media.

I like how you put your point together though Jonjo that definitely fits as well

It’s kinda like a statement album of being free, released from things what’s held you back and entering into your own form of safe space but still feeling as though you need to kinda erase certain things as well as being thankful for them not fully destroying you.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 21st June 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #4
Group icon
User: 13,007

Two great theories there Jon and Jordan! I definitely agree that "freedom (in the music)" is the overarching theme for the record. Sine From Above perfectly exemplifies what I think the whole album represents. I will try and formulate some sort of theory for each of the three sections in time too!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 21st June 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #5
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I think Chromatica is the world/universe that she (and everyone else) wants, a personal utopia free of bias and judgment as essentially we can't get that in real life. It's like a science fiction movie where a group of people enter a world in search for "wonderland" and do everything they can to find instant gratification, only to realize that in order to find happiness, they must build that kingdom from the ground up.

-

Chromatica I -> Alice
The world is physically damaged and socially beyond repair. The last remaining survivors, in desperate need for a normal society free of judgment and release from the shackles of hatred and despair, travel off into the vast unknown of space. Their mission? To search for a habitable world where they can socially, structurally, and culturally reboot the human race into a species devoid of bias and disparity, where each person can live freely as their own being. This new civilization will rise from the ashes of the past society, like a phoenix reborn.

After years of searching, they find a mysterious world, foreign in nature yet somewhat familiar, and definitely hospitable. The bright colors hypnotize the colonists and mystify them, and they settle into their new home while trying to uncover the mysteries of this new planet. In light of this colorful saturation, they christen the planet with the name Chromatica.

Stupid Love -> Rain On Me
Life on this new planet started off rocky as most civilizations do. The nature of humankind has always been problematic, with their vices occasionally overpowering their virtues and vice versa. The population grows, and eventually so does unrest, creating a schism that forms multiple tribes. With that schism came the need for power, a vial of instant gratification, but at the same time a poison created to corrupt the human psyche. Was this destined to be the same thing that happened on Earth, but with a different planet? Some tribes fought for power, others for purity, and some tribes opted to put their rose-colored glasses on and pretend like this was the utopia they came for. But one tribe thought differently.

All I ever wanted was love...

The tribe of Kindness formed, with their mission being to unite the tribes with the power of love, stronger than a magnetic force. They were pacifistic and articulate in nature, and they helped shape those around them through their ideals. They believed that love unites people, no matter where they came from, who they love, or how they choose to love. Their spirit was infectious, and with the power of love spoken through the language of music, each tribe opened their ears and minds. The result was a civilization that was not monochromatic, but saw the beauty of color and did its best to maximize its impact.

Free Woman -> Fun Tonight
Despite external conflicts ceasing for now, there was still that need for instant gratification. The freedom to love made it much easier to seek it from those who were willing to love thy neighbor as much as the next person. However, people were smart. This great power came with greater responsibilities, that being respect, and respect for one another was the key toward satisfying that instant gratification, but it came with diminishing utility.

With all external conflicts came internal ones, and the stability of the individual mind comes into question. Were they really free? Or did they flow under the guise that they were and were only hurting themselves instead?

Chromatica II -> 911
The power of love had always come with drawbacks. In chemistry, before you perform an experiment, you must first assess the instructions and question the properties of each chemical in front of you. It's the same thing with love; it was consensual, and the people of this civilization thought that if those feelings were not returned, then they couldn't do anything about it. The question of "I love them, do they love me back?" ensues in their minds and devours them from the inside. Their biggest enemy became themselves.

The tribe of Kindness had won, but at what cost?

Plastic Doll -> Sour Candy -> Enigma -> Replay
The individual psyche became torn between wanting to search for the answers as themselves or developing disguises to make themselves feel better. If someone couldn't like one quality of them, why not engulf yourself into another? To them, one could not coexist with the other, and the individual had successfully developed a mental catch-22. Either path they took would only lead to heartbreak. They decided to grin and bear it but they couldn't admit that deep inside, the pain ate them alive. Soon enough, being enigmatic became en vogue.

Remember what I said about power? It corrupts people, and the power of love was no different. The civilians of Chromatica learned how to love others but ended up ensnared by the feeling of being loved and enslaved to their perceptions of what others thought of them. They felt if there was no one to love them, there was no life worth living. They were mindless zombies again.

Chromatica III -> Sine From Above
Color theory states that humans see color through photons of energy traveling in waves, and from that spectrum of wavelengths came the spectrum of visible light. In physics, photon movement in light is viewed as a sine wave with its frequency changing depending on how much energy the photon is currently packing according to Einstein. This gives us an understanding of the extended spectrum of electromagnetic radiation beyond visible light. Sometimes, the strongest forces of energy are from what you can't see with the naked eye.

One day, a human being of unknown origin walked into the desert outside their civilization in order to reflect on their life and what had led civilization to the state it was today. Everyone had learned to love one another but it was harming themselves in the end. This person thought, "without people around, who can we love?". The human looked around and saw a flower growing in the distance, puncturing the desolate background with its bright light. Even in the most arid places, life still finds a way to thrive. The human took one petal from the flower, and in the midst of their hunger, ate it. Then suddenly, a realization hit. When the power of love can't come from others, it has to come from within. Suddenly, an aurora appeared before them, and a stray meteorite burns across the atmosphere, emitting every single color visible to the naked eye. One blast of light later, the desert was empty.

1000 Doves -> Babylon
News of the strange cosmic event traveled along each small civilization. The main story was that an aurora and a shooting star popped up in the distance, and eyewitnesses saw someone carried up by a strange white light, then all of a sudden, it vanished. More details surfaced, and eventually they learned the real reason why the human went off to the distance: they wanted to prove a theory that if everyone else on Chromatica were to suddenly vanish, the only source of love was from within. This teaching spread across the planet and everyone soon had the same realization; in order to give to others, they must first give to themselves.

Balance was soon restored and the human civilization saw a renaissance of some sorts. People did what they thought would be best for them and knew their own limits. No longer were they chained to what others thought of them or plagued by the despair their inner demons and naturally problematic human psyche had inflicted on them. They were still there, but the people of Chromatica learned to live with them. From this renaissance came the birth of a new kingdom: Babylon, appropriately named after the capital of the first human kingdom on Earth. They knew their roots and history, but also looked to the future. It was at that time that this civilization accomplished what the first Terran colonists aimed to achieve with their interstellar mission: a social reboot of the human race.

-

This may have taken way too much time and gone off on too many tangents but whatever. Gaga had gone through many phases and while her struggles may have been different from the next person, her message had always been concrete. You need to love those around you, but in order to give love to others, you must give love to yourself.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 21st June 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #6
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I also have this theory that the Chromatica universe ties in with Break Free but that's for another time tongue.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 21st June 2020, 08:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
User: 13,007

Cody, that's amazing! clap.gif The detail! Goosebumps reading the final section :'(

QUOTE(Codeiric Diary @ Jun 21 2020, 09:27 PM) *
I also have this theory that the Chromatica universe ties in with Break Free but that's for another time tongue.gif

Omg I *need* to hear this! Visually there are parallels for sure ohmy.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:24 AM