BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Number 1 Chronicles, [ 1960 YE pg 3; 1961 starts pg 4 ]
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 12:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

This thread will be used to cover exactly what the title suggests. I will be recounting my top songs each week from the year 1960 to today. Now since I wasn't born in 1960 (and not for another 30 years after that) these are for the most part retroactively added number one songs. I have currently finished doing so for 1960, 1975 - 1986 and 1997 - 2018. From late 2018 onwards I have been making a chart each week in present time so those are the most accurate number ones while everything else is estimated.

I have given myself some creative liberties as to what song is eligible for #1 each week and it's not only singles here as album tracks are also available. These are the fictional chart toppers in my BJSC country Mosquetania so songs that may not have been given the single treatment IRL may still very well have done so here and all of this is mainly just done for my entertainment.

I initially only planned on going from 1980 onwards but as my current coverage map shows I've gone further back numerous times until finally I settled on the starting year being 1960. It was easier than I thought finding #1 worthy songs here but for the 60s in general expect the biggest hits to be longgg running #1s because there's really a few songs that are far superior to other songs but I suppose that's the case for most decades outside of the 2010s where the longest running hit is IIRC 4 or 5 weeks while we have one song that is 10 weeks in the 1970s which is currently the longest running #1 to date.

Now since I am Icelandic expect a fair few Icelandic number ones but they are only a small portion of the #1 songs and honestly on average an Icelander only seems to claim the top spot once every 2 years or so lol.

After every year I will compile a top 20/40/100 songs of the year (later years will feature more songs but for the 60s at least there will only be 20 in the end) and then at the end of every decade I will compile a similar list of the top 100 songs of the decade and yes there will also be songs that failed to hit the top spot on those recaps.

Now if anyone is actually interested in this I will be posting the first song/s later today, starting of course with 1960.

This post has been edited by diva thin muffin: 3rd September 2020, 08:33 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 12:46 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

ARCHIVE

.........* a star denotes that the #1 run was not consecutive.

This post has been edited by diva thin muffin: 15th September 2020, 01:03 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 19th August 2020, 01:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

1960 is an excellent year to choose biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 19th August 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

This will be interesting. It's good to see several retro music threads are in progress at the moment,both here and in the Countdowns section.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Before I start let me talk a bit about the first year on this record: 1960. Why 1960? Well, I had reached looked at some of the songs that were released in the 60s and after having previously decided against it I thought to myself "man I can't leave out all these awesome songs" so I decided to include this decade. As of today I can't say for certain how many songs reached #1 for me in this decade but I can reveal that 1960 itself spawned 23 number one hits. As there are 53 weeks in 1960 by my count that gives each song an average run of 2.3 weeks on top of the chart. Two songs spent six weeks on top while seven songs only held the top spot for one week. A whopping 20 out of the 23 songs feature mainly male vocals while only 3 feature mainly female vocals. This is highly unusualy for a chart of mine as I'm usually heavily biased towards female vocals but 1960 certainly strives to set itself a part from the future of my chart.

What happened in 1960? Lets take a look at some of the news stories that were prominent in this year.
  • It's the year that John F. Kennedy is elected president of the United States.
  • A whopping seventeen African nations (including DR Congo, South Africa and Niger) declare independence in what has since been labeled the "Year of Africa".
  • The first anime is broadcast on NHK (titled "Three Tales").
  • Joanne Woodward receives the very first star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
  • The Winter Olympics take place in Squaw Valley, California.
  • Elvis Presley returns home from Germany to the United States, after being away on military duty for 2 years.
  • "Tom Pillibi" by Jacqueline Boyer wins the Eurovision Song Contest 1960 for France.
  • The United States launches the first weather satellite, TIROS-1.
  • At the 32nd Academy Awards Ceremony, Ben-Hur wins a record number of Oscars, including Best Picture.
  • Harper Lee publishes her novel To Kill a Mockingbird, which later wins the Pulitzer Prize for the best American novel of 1960.
  • The newly named Beatles begin a 48-night residency at the Indra Club in Hamburg, West Germany.
  • The 1960 Summer Olympic Games begin in Rome, Italy.
  • The Flintstones aired its series premiere on the ABC network.
  • The classic British TV soap opera Coronation Street premieres.
  • Alfred Hitchcock's horror classic Psycho was released. It has since become known as the first "slasher movie".
  • The world population was less than half of what it is today.
  • Among famous people born this year are Tilda Swinton, Julianne Moore, Bono, Jane Lynch and Sean Penn.
  • Clark Gable is perhaps the most famous person who died this year at the age of 59 after having had a fourth coronary thrombosis.

We'll start off the countdown in the next post with the very first number one hit of the year.

This post has been edited by diva thin muffin: 2nd September 2020, 09:47 AM

+Quote this post
Jade
post 19th August 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Loving the effort wub.gif The Beatles are my favourite group of all-time so I'm most intrigued to see if they pop up at all for you in this decade!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th August 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

This could be an interesting idea, it's something I've often thought about doing to settle my own curiosity. Did you listen to everything in the charts in those decades before you were born or are you going for ones you already know?

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

NEIL SEDAKA
Oh! Carol!

No. 1 Run: January 1, 1960 - January 29, 1960 (5 weeks)

.........UK Chart Peak: #3 (31 weeks on chart)
.........US Chart Peak: #9 (19 weeks on chart)
.........Release Date: 1959 on RCA Victor (re-issued in 1972)
.........Sales: 235k (est.)

This is a cute little song that is supposedly about Carole King, who Neil had dated previously. It's a catchy song, very reminiscent of another #1 hit which will be featured in 1961. The song spent a while at #1 for me because it was a shallow pool to pick from but also because I just enjoyed the song. I admittedly had never heard of this singer before starting this project and the same goes for the song but it's very 60's and I love the type of doo-wop style that often pops up in those songs. The song held off competition from a few noteworthy songs but I won't name any of them as they all wound up on top in the end.

This post has been edited by diva thin muffin: 19th August 2020, 04:19 PM

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Aug 19 2020, 01:05 PM) *
1960 is an excellent year to choose biggrin.gif

Glad you think so! I'm excited to see what gems I find in the midst here.

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Aug 19 2020, 01:30 PM) *
This will be interesting. It's good to see several retro music threads are in progress at the moment,both here and in the Countdowns section.

Happy to hear this intrigues you! I've been obsessed with history in the 20th century lately and the history of music is definitely an interesting angle to look at too.

QUOTE(Jade @ Aug 19 2020, 03:32 PM) *
Loving the effort wub.gif The Beatles are my favourite group of all-time so I'm most intrigued to see if they pop up at all for you in this decade!

Thanks Jade! I've never been a huge Beatles fan but in the context of the 1960s music they are definite legends (and rightfully so) and you an expect a fair few of their songs to either top the charts or get close to it!

QUOTE(dandy* @ Aug 19 2020, 03:40 PM) *
This could be an interesting idea, it's something I've often thought about doing to settle my own curiosity. Did you listen to everything in the charts in those decades before you were born or are you going for ones you already know?

Well, maybe not everything in the charts but I give a LOT of songs a listen to see if it's something that interests me. Songs that I know prior have an advantage in many cases but for years where I don't know as many songs I look at both the UK and US charts as well as some useful information on mediatraffic.de, tsort.info and Wikipedia as well as listening to Youtube videos of top hits per year. I've found a lot of songs this way that I had always known but never known the name of or the artist behind it lol.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 04:16 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

PERCY FAITH
Theme from "A Summer Place"

No. 1 Run: February 5, 1960 - February 19, 1960 (3 weeks)

.........UK Chart Peak: #2 (31 weeks on chart)
.........US Chart Peak: #1 (22 weeks on chart)
.........Release Date: November 18, 1959 on Columbia Records
.........Sales: 205k (est.)

Yup the second song to top my chart was an instrumental theme to a 1959 film called "A Summer Place" starring Sandra Dee and Troy Donahue. Not only that but it's not even the main title theme, it's a secondary love theme for the characters played by Dee and Donahue lol. There are no vocals on this and it's honestly quite "lift music"-ey but in a nice way. The genre is listed as "easy listening" and I do agree, this is very easy to listen to. The song also managed to charm the heck out the US audience as they kept it at the top spot for nine weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1960. Percy would later re-record the song with female vocals in 1969 and again in 1976 as a disco version titled "Summer Place '76", neither of which managed to replicate the success of the original even though I definitely prefer them to the OG but both 1969 and 1976 had much better output musically than 1960 so there's that.

This post has been edited by diva thin muffin: 21st August 2020, 02:31 PM

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 05:14 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

THE ISLEY BROTHERS
Shout!

No. 1 Run: February 26, 1960 - April 15, 1960 (6 weeks, non-consecutive)

.........UK Chart Peak: (did not chart)
.........US Chart Peak: #1 (14 weeks on chart)
.........Release Date: August 1959 on RCA Victor
.........Sales: 305k (est.)

Finally a song I actually knew prior to starting this. "Shout!" is easily one of the biggest hits of 1959-1960 and it's tied with another song for having spent the most weeks at number one here. However, unlike most multi-week #1 smashes in the coming years "Shout!" has not sold a whole lot in Mosquetania. Sales were quite low in this period but additionally the song has failed to sell consistently in the digital era and is largely overshadowed by its successor, the originality-laden "Twist & Shout", which The Isley Brothers released a few years later. "Shout" still managed to overcome some obstacles and beat another big song to the top as Neil Sedaka's "One Way Ticket" stalled at number two while the Isley Brothers kept the top spot. While Neil had to settle for second this time you can bet you'll see "One Way Ticket" on the Year-End chart.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th August 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

well no complaints from me on your choices, Oh Carol topped my actual chart in 1972 when it was a hit again in the UK, A Summer Place in the noughties as an oldie, and Shout topped for Lulu as a reissued hit in 1986. cheer.gif

I've retroactively compiled my number one records from 1960 through to 1968 - but not what I like now, what I liked at the time based on what I remember being mad on during the 60's, so from being 2 to 10 years old. From 1968 I started compiling charts at the time, on and off, and then filled in the gaps a few years later for completeness. I may run it when you've done the 60's, though mine would be VERY different at times as what a 6-year-old loves isn't necessarily what a 30 or 60-year-old loves laugh.gif

That said, I did love A Summer Place's tune as a kid during the 60's (without knowing anything about it) so it is also a 1960 chart-topper for me, either at the time or now.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 19th August 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

I didn't know Theme From A Summer Place from the title but now that I've played it,I recognise it as it's used a lot on TV programmes as background music whenever people are engaged in summer activities. I know Lulu's version of Shout much more than the Isley Brothers' original.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 19 2020, 06:11 PM) *
well no complaints from me on your choices, Oh Carol topped my actual chart in 1972 when it was a hit again in the UK, A Summer Place in the noughties as an oldie, and Shout topped for Lulu as a reissued hit in 1986. cheer.gif

I've retroactively compiled my number one records from 1960 through to 1968 - but not what I like now, what I liked at the time based on what I remember being mad on during the 60's, so from being 2 to 10 years old. From 1968 I started compiling charts at the time, on and off, and then filled in the gaps a few years later for completeness. I may run it when you've done the 60's, though mine would be VERY different at times as what a 6-year-old loves isn't necessarily what a 30 or 60-year-old loves laugh.gif

That said, I did love A Summer Place's tune as a kid during the 60's (without knowing anything about it) so it is also a 1960 chart-topper for me, either at the time or now.

Ooohhh so you're born in 1958? That's the same year as my mom. My dad is born in 1957 and they definitely influence a LOT of the songs that take the top spot for me, especially from 1970-1999 as there's a bunch of songs they showed me as a kid (I'm born in 1990) and I'll point those out as we get there. Will be interesting to see if any of those are some of your favorites too smile.gif

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

BOBBY RYDELL
Wild One

No. 1 Run: March 25, 1960 - April 1, 1960 (2 weeks)

.........UK Chart Peak: #7 (14 weeks on chart)
.........US Chart Peak: #2 (16 weeks on chart)
.........Release Date: January 18 on Cameo
.........Sales: 140k (est.)

Bobby Rydell was a teen idol in the sixties, with this being one of his most famous songs (the other one being a cover of a certain Eurovision song) and I get it. He was a cutie back then. The dude is still alive and kicking actually, 78 years young, but "Wild One" somehow managed to snatch a few ways on top away from The Isley Brothers in the middle of their run. "Wild One", not to be confused with the Flo Rida song, is a fun song that I had never heard before but it's not all that memorable tbh. I think the funniest thing about it is that it's labeled as a "rock & roll" tune but that just goes to show how much the genre has evolved since the sixties. It's cute but ultimately gives me "I don't want to be labeled as a troublemaker" vibes lmao so it's funny that The Beatles apparently wrote "She Loves You" with this in mind because they liked the "yeah yeah" answering style the backup singers deliver here. Fun fact: Rydell High in Grease is named after Bobby Rydell. TIL!

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

BARRETT STRONG
Money (That's What I Want)

No. 1 Run: 22 April, 1960 (1 week)

.........UK Chart Peak: (did not chart)
.........US Chart Peak: #23 (17 weeks on chart)
.........Release Date: August 1959 on Tamla / Anna
.........Sales: 90k (est.)

Another song I have never heard before and another name I've never heard of. Barrett joins the club of singers that are still alive which is very nice to see as I was a bit pessimistic going into this expecting all these singers to have died a while back but yup he's still here! This song is fun but I grew tired of it rather quickly so this will probably remain one of my lowest selling number ones ever once every year is tallied together lmao but I had to fit it in somewhere because I'd put it on my shortlist earlier. Not a whole lot I can say here but in pure 60s fashion this song was obviously covered a few more times including once by The Beatles in 1963. None of the covers do any damage on my chart and Barrett Long Strong never makes an appearance on it again.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Ok 5 is enough for today. I'll post a few more tomorrow smile.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th August 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I think a lot of the 60s would be a struggle for me. I can appreciate how influential the decade was but I’m not actually enjoying much so far... I’m hopeful it will change at some point though!

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th August 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dandy* @ Aug 19 2020, 08:59 PM) *
I think a lot of the 60s would be a struggle for me. I can appreciate how influential the decade was but I’m not actually enjoying much so far... I’m hopeful it will change at some point though!

Haha tbh 1960 was a tough year. Not a lot of songs I really liked (as is apparent by the low sales. Good songs usually have 600k+ for me) but I’ve already finished 1961 in my personal sheet and it’s got way more songs I love than 1960. A lot of the 1960 songs sound pretty similar and hard to distinguish but in ‘61 we’ve got some classics I’m sure you’ll enjoy.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 20th August 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

PAUL ANKA
Puppy Love

No. 1 Run: 29 April, 1960 (1 week)

.........UK Chart Peak: #37 (5 weeks on chart)
.........US Chart Peak: #2 (15 weeks on chart)
.........Release Date: February 13, 1960 on ABC Paramount
.........Sales: 145k (est.)

Another one-week number one hit comes from the legendary Paul Anka (who is also still alive today, really goes to show that pop musicians really live the longest) and it's a cute pop ballad. I'd heard this one before but only vaguely remember it. Like Barrett, Paul takes advantage of a slow season just before a bigger song takes the top spot next week. It's probably Paul's only number one on the chart, although I haven't covered a big chunk of the 60s yet, so I'm pleased to see that I like it a little bit more today than I did yesterday.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 04:01 PM