BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Radio 1 to play edited version of Fairytale of New York
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post Nov 19 2020, 12:37 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
BBC Radio 1 will not play the original version of Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl this Christmas, because its audience may be offended by some of the lyrics.

The station said young listeners were particularly sensitive to derogatory terms for gender and sexuality.

It will instead play an edited version with different lyrics sung by MacColl.

But the 1987 original will still be played on Radio 2, while 6 Music DJs can choose between the two versions.

A BBC spokesman said: "We know the song is considered a Christmas classic and we will continue to play it this year, with our radio stations choosing the version of the song most relevant for their audience."

The duet is one of the most enduring Christmas pop songs, having returned to the UK top 20 every year since 2005. Along with a string of other festive favourites, it is now rising the chart again, at 59 in the current midweek chart.

But Radio 1 has decided younger listeners who are unfamiliar with the track would find some of the words stark and not in line with what they would expect to hear on air.

The new edited version alters two lines - one swapped for an alternative version in which MacColl sings "You're cheap and you're haggard" in place of a homophobic slur.

MacColl sung the new line on Top of the Pops in 1992. She died in a boat accident in Mexico eight years later, at the age of 41.

The same wording was used by Ronan Keating and Moya Brennan in their 2000 cover version. When Ed Sheeran and Anne-Marie performed the song in Radio 1's Live Lounge in 2017, she opted to call him a "cheap lousy blagger".

In Radio 1's newly-edited version, another line, sung by Shane MacGowan in the second verse, has a word removed entirely.

Radio 1 has played the song in its original form in recent years, but the insults contained in the lyrics, sung in the form of a blazing row between an alcoholic and a heroin addict, have long been criticised by some.

The track was censored by Radio 1 back in 2007, but that decision was swiftly reversed after an outcry by its fans.

Andy Parfitt, the station's controller at the time, explained the U-turn by saying its audiences were "smart enough to distinguish between maliciousness and creative freedom", and there was no "negative intent behind the use of the words".

Aled Haydn-Jones, who worked as producer of Chris Moyles' breakfast show at the time, was made head of Radio 1 this June.

Last year, there were hundreds of complaints after Gavin and Stacey characters Nessa and Bryn sung the unedited version in the sitcom's seasonal special.

This Christmas, Radio 2 said it had considered the issue carefully and would continue to monitor listeners' views, but had decided to continue to play the original.

6 Music, meanwhile, has said both versions can be played, at the discretion of each individual presenter.

What do you make of this decision from Radio 1? Will they reverse the decision due to public pressure from 2007?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 19 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Brilliant decision!! There will undoubtedly be loads of people offended by this (most of whom are straight anyway) but it sets a really positive example going forward. Long overdue.

+Quote this post
Thom Spirit Kay
post Nov 19 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #3
Group icon
eat hot chip, be homosexual
User: 6,946
Agreed, it’s amazing how much the world has changed since 2007, but even then I thought it was wrong. Incidentally I wasn’t aware of an alternate version by Kirsty, was this the Top Of The Pops version?

+Quote this post
danG
post Nov 19 2020, 12:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
seems like a sensible decision, hopefully this time they don’t go back on themselves after any backlash they get. I’m sure the Facebook comments section will be far less than thrilled about this anyhow (most of whom probably don’t listen to radio 1 anyway)

+Quote this post
post Nov 19 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I know there was a big debate about this a couple of years back. But it's great to throw into the fray that The Pogues themselves seem to be agreeing that times have moved on and celebrating their own censorship.

A great step forward for this often tiresome conversation and dialogue.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Nov 19 2020, 12:59 PM
Post #6
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
Like I'm sure most on here are, I'm happy this has been changed! I'm sure there'll be a lot of grumble and discussion on it this year in particular but in time people will forget what the original included tbh! It's not acceptable language these days and that's across the board in all workplaces and everyone knows that, even The Pogues themselves have stopped using it and realise it's not acceptable these days so the people who are still backing it are really kicking up a fuss to push their own viewpoints forwards rather than in the name of integrity.

It's not a 'snowflakes gone mad' situation, it's progress. There's plenty of things we've moved on from and this will be another one in time.

+Quote this post
alby
post Nov 19 2020, 01:02 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,115
I've noticed there's a new version on Spotify which I assume is what Radio 1 will be playing

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 19 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #8
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Honestly, I couldn't care less.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post Nov 19 2020, 01:05 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
The ones complaining about the decision are the real snowflakes

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Nov 19 2020, 01:05 PM
Post #10
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
For me I care more about the debate around it rather than the use of the word itself. A word is a word at the end of the day. But the power it gives people with these outdated homophobic views to speak up is what needs quashing! It can often bring forward an uglier side to people you didn't realise was beneath the surface.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Nov 19 2020, 01:07 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
In any context it's a pejorative term that isn't really appropriate for radio when they censor even milder words.

+Quote this post
iain
post Nov 19 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 2,478
I’ve never really understood why there was a debate in the first place about whether to censor the word on radio. All offensive words are censored on Radio 1, I never understood why people thought this shouldn’t be censored. Obviously the usual Twitter nutcases are having meltdowns about the decision.

+Quote this post
steveh31
post Nov 19 2020, 01:34 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,175
When will people stop this nonsense about being offended it doesn't matter if the song says "faggott" or "$l*t" it has been playing up and down the land for 33 years and now suddenly "OMG He said faggot" get a grip.

I watched an episode of the Bill on Youtube yesterday from 1994 a character said "coloured person" am I supposed to get all red in the face and throw something at the laptop?

Stop trying to change history the song is from 1987 and depicts the language that was used it isn't a song which uses language from 2020 people need to realise this and accept what was made at the time will use references from that time.

Even The Pogues on Twitter are fed up of this by the sounds of it, in fact they seem fed up that it's that time of year again but they won't be fed up when the cheque comes through in January.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Nov 19 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
That's the most defensive way of telling someone not to be offended I think I've seen. :')

+Quote this post
iain
post Nov 19 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 2,478
QUOTE(steveh31 @ Nov 19 2020, 01:34 PM) *
When will people stop this nonsense about being offended it doesn't matter if the song says "faggott" or "$l*t" it has been playing up and down the land for 33 years and now suddenly "OMG He said faggot" get a grip.

I watched an episode of the Bill on Youtube yesterday from 1994 a character said "coloured person" am I supposed to get all red in the face and throw something at the laptop?

Stop trying to change history the song is from 1987 and depicts the language that was used it isn't a song which uses language from 2020 people need to realise this and accept what was made at the time will use references from that time.

Even The Pogues on Twitter are fed up of this by the sounds of it, in fact they seem fed up that it's that time of year again but they won't be fed up when the cheque comes through in January.

So should one of the biggest hits of the year “Wet Ass Pussy” not be censored at 11am on a Monday morning, because it’s “the language people are using at the time”?

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post Nov 19 2020, 01:41 PM
Post #16
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830
QUOTE(steveh31 @ Nov 19 2020, 01:34 PM) *

Maybe if there was a disclaimer at the beginning of every play stating: "This song is from 1987, and is very much a product of its time. We do not condone the usage of the words faggot and $l*t" at the start of every play... But that is not going to happen.

Do you honestly think some 13 year old listening to this is going to care when it was released? They hear the term on radio, and they think it's an acceptable word to use (and in this case, it's being used as slur, so that negative connotation is cemented).

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Nov 19 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
It makes no difference to people who aren't offended by the word for it to be censored on mainstream, daytime radio, but for people who find it uncomfortable, it means a great deal. Of course, context is important, but it's clear that these days there's one meaning that immediately springs to mind.

The original still exists. The song hasn't been banned. It's still one of the most popular Christmas songs.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
Post #18
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Personally I'd prefer that they just don't play the song at all and expand the range of Christmas songs that they do play during the season. Would be nice to see Radio 1 (and radio in general) playing more recent Christmas songs and lesser known gems rather than going straight for the same songs each year.

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #19
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
I'm not really bothered either way about this but I wonder what has prompted them to suddenly reverse course on this again now.

Glad that it is at least a proper edit that they're planning to use rather than the mutilated censored version that some music channels have used.

+Quote this post
steveh31
post Nov 19 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,175
QUOTE(iain @ Nov 19 2020, 02:38 PM) *
So should one of the biggest hits of the year “Wet Ass Pussy” not be censored at 11am on a Monday morning, because it’s “the language people are using at the time”?

Maybe Radio should consider re-editing it then as "damp bottom vagina" then they wouldn't need to censor it seeing as though they rate their listeners as unable to cope with certain words.

This post has been edited by steveh31: Nov 19 2020, 01:44 PM

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:27 AM