BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Hits that got away in 2020
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jessie Where
post Jan 4 2021, 10:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Which songs do you feel deserved to be hits or could have been in 2020, but did nothing or very little?

Here's a few for me...

I mean, to be fair after the second album he had a real uphill struggle but this is so BIG sounding and easily the best thing he's ever done.

I prefer the original of this but the Selena version is also good. I thought after 'Falling' being a reasonable sized hit and this being so much better and with the Selena addition it couldn't go wrong... but criminally did absolutely nothing.

I feel like this is well-known enough to have at least deserved to chart. I hoped after Radio 1 got on board that it'd become one of those that starts by building momentum on Apple Music (or something) but sadly wasn't to be.

Potential song of the year, criminal it didn't at least chart.

He's quite a big name now, how was this not his breakthrough hit?!

Annoyingly with this one I told people I know it was going to be huge, so felt a bit humiliated when it wasn't. laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post Jan 4 2021, 10:53 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
JP Cooper with another surefire radio smash that did... nothing

This was a huge U.S. hit

This post has been edited by AcerBen: Jan 4 2021, 10:54 PM

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Jan 4 2021, 10:56 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
"Natalie Don't" - it was a ready made smash and had such good support from week 1. I don't understand what went wrong / why it didn't catch on as a chart hit?!

+Quote this post
hlavkus
post Jan 4 2021, 10:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 71,724
Hypnotized is actually all over the radio in the Czech Republic so it at least caught on somewhere

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jan 4 2021, 10:59 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I came here to post 'Experience' as well!

I really wanted 'Malibu' to be Kim Petras' break-out moment sad.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jan 4 2021, 11:00 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Love 'Undo My Heart'! Definitely feels like the sort of song that would be a big hit to me too.

These are some that come to my mind:

I don't understand why none of Raye's solo songs are smashing when she's continuing to get hits with dance producers. Hopefully one day she'll break through because all her songs have hit written all over them.

Mel C's latest music seem like ready-made hits, if only she had Spotify support and perhaps wasn't viewed as a legacy act.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post Jan 4 2021, 11:01 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151
'Chew On My Heart' and 'Undo My Heart' are probably my top two 2020 hits that got away.

Also:

EDIT: Not two other people also going for 'Natalie Don't' in the time it took me to write this post laugh.gif

Yeah I know she smashed this year but I'm still gutted this wasn't the top ten hit I wanted it to be.

There's probably a few more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

This post has been edited by M@ngo: Jan 4 2021, 11:04 PM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 4 2021, 11:03 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
I Hope (tho hopefully it’ll smash in 2021)
exile (I feel this could’ve been MASSIVE with a proper push 😭)
I don’t know why (if this was like a Rita Ora song it probs would’ve been a top 5 smash but ofc it wasn’t going to do anything so not too much a surprise)
Be Kind (I really thought this was going to be a top 10 smash 😭)

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 4 2021, 11:08 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Break the tension
QUOTE(Botchia @ Jan 4 2021, 10:56 PM) *
"Natalie Don't" - it was a ready made smash and had such good support from week 1. I don't understand what went wrong / why it didn't catch on as a chart hit?!

Where did it get support?

I really wanted that to do something but knew it wouldn't. sad.gif Same also with 'Please Don't Touch'.

It's annoying how looking at her chart history yesterday in the Year End thread, all her actual GOOD songs are missing from it. sad.gif

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Jan 4 2021, 11:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
Zara Larsson - Love Me Land

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Jan 4 2021, 11:11 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
I quite enjoyed these;

And of course a former personal chart #1 of mine;

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jan 4 2021, 11:12 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I've never understood how some acts can have success with their collabs but little interest in their own work. It's not like Raye is just some faceless singer on a dance song, like I think most of my peers would recognise her name and be able to refer to her hits, in fact they would probably assume that they were her own songs.

+Quote this post
Scene
post Jan 4 2021, 11:13 PM
Post #13
Group icon
This is where you end and I begin
User: 5,567
Please Don't Touch is THE hit that got away. It's an amazing pop song wtf happened. sad.gif Without a doubt my favourite song of 2020. Natalie Don't also deserved to smash. I hope Raye manages to break through this year because she's a great artist.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 4 2021, 11:16 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Break the tension

Not particularly original but SO much better than a lot of the dreck he's had actual hits with in the past.

And on 'Nothing Really Matters', I still don't to this day get why that fizzled into nothing with Becky Hill riding a wave and Tiesto just having had two decent sized hits? I know Radio 1 didn't playlist it so maybe it wasn't intended by the label as a proper single or something.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Jan 4 2021, 11:16 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jan 4 2021, 11:08 PM) *
Where did it get support?

I really wanted that to do something but knew it wouldn't. sad.gif Same also with 'Please Don't Touch'.

It's annoying how looking at her chart history yesterday in the Year End thread, all her actual GOOD songs are missing from it. sad.gif

I definitely remember her getting #1 position on NMF and good Apple Music playlisting and she barely made a dent on both.

It's typical that her best songs didn't do a thing chart wise but the DJ collabs smashed :')

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jan 4 2021, 11:18 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I won't have anything bad to be said about her dance collabs though! 'Secrets' is up there with the standard of her own stuff! As is 'Regardless', although it remains to be seen whether that smashes.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Jan 4 2021, 11:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
QUOTE(hlavkus @ Jan 5 2021, 12:57 AM) *
Hypnotized is actually all over the radio in the Czech Republic so it at least caught on somewhere

In Finland as well, so watch it become Ava Max style of sleeper hit. It has decent Spotify numbers too.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jan 5 2021, 12:03 AM
Post #18
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
They both did better than I'd ever have predicted them to tbf but it was beyond frustrating to see BROCKHAMPTON's 'SUGAR' and ROSALÍA and Travis Scott's 'TKN' both stalling just outside the top 40, they seemed to have so much momentum behind them but then suddenly hit a brick wall just short of being top 40 breakthroughs for both artists. And as they were both TikTok driven hits who knows if they'll ever get another chance to make the top 40 here </3 (ROSALÍA in particular is probably never making the top 100 again unless there's another TikTok trend for her, or perhaps if she's donated another Travis Scott feature)

Also The Weeknd's 'Save Your Tears' should have been pushed instead of 'In Your Eyes' and I'm pretty confident it would have been a bigger hit, I don't know why it's been so ignored by him, not even getting a music video in an era where he's made videos for a whole bunch of much less obvious tracks.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post Jan 5 2021, 12:04 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
QUOTE(Botchia @ Jan 4 2021, 11:16 PM) *
I definitely remember her getting #1 position on NMF and good Apple Music playlisting and she barely made a dent on both.

It's typical that her best songs didn't do a thing chart wise but the DJ collabs smashed :')

It was heavily played on Radio 2 too, sounded great on the radio. (I know that usually has little effect anyway!)

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Jan 5 2021, 12:07 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jan 4 2021, 11:16 PM) *
And on 'Nothing Really Matters', I still don't to this day get why that fizzled into nothing with Becky Hill riding a wave and Tiesto just having had two decent sized hits? I know Radio 1 didn't playlist it so maybe it wasn't intended by the label as a proper single or something.

It was definitely a misfire but I think radios were more interested in album track Lose You. I enjoyed the Becky collab nonetheless.

I hope to see The Business crack the Top 40 this Friday!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:16 PM